Fear of loseing a name

Britishbulldog

There wouldn't be so many renames if they allowed for surnames as well. Instead of seeing people with all these crazy characters in their names you would see something like Ansalem Stalker then with legacy title etc after. That at least would keep renaming yourself to a minimum.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this whole transfer thing has been great for the majority of the population, unfortunately for me it has led me to unsubscribe from the game completely. Once my 120 days are up, I won't be coming back to this game... which is a shame, I vowed that I'd never play an MMO at all before swtor was announced, but this game managed to win me over. Participated in beta for quite a few months before launch, despite being Australian I imported the Collector's Edition of the game, was one of the first to get into the early access period and have been playing this game regularly ever since.

However, I can't stand to lose the names of my toons and so that's it for me. Thanks for all the fun, it's been great but I guess good things can't last.

If BioWare ever puts in a system where people can have the same name on the server then I'll return, but until that happens, this game is over for me.

I transferred and got to keep my main and first alts name. Everything fine right, nope. TwilightLynk was the person that talked me into playing this game in the first place and while I could really careless about names and just don't see the big deal, I am a little upset about the continued derogation of the original subscribers. BioWare, Star Wars, KOTOR and my friends, what could be better? Nothing except for the fact that these easily fixable PR problems keep driving away my friends.

Not one to whine, usually go with the flow, but as my guild dwindles over silly stuff I wonder when my incentive to continue will dwindle too.

Please if possible fix the name problems. It is silly for members that bought the CE, been on since day one and have a legacy near 50 to have to change their name just because BioWare assigned their guild to what turned out to be a low population server. Like I wrote, I could care less about the name…my main is a TOR randomly generated name, but it does seem very important to some people. :o

Originally typed a long rant on this but it serves no purpose. Perhaps 15 bucks a month is not a lot, especially to a large company but they have 15 less from me. Sad to see SWTOR in the straights it's in.

The motto of the story; don't use a simple name based around a popular character in the sci-fi or fantasy genre as 100s of people will have the same number or a close approximation of it.

Create a unique name yourself, preferably with more than 5 letters in it and you won't easily lose it.

This is really amazing. I have seen a ton of people saying this was the last straw, they are gone. Then there are the classic people saying "can i haz ur stuffs", being too ignorant to realize this many people leaving for a reason is indicative of a core problem with their beloved game, and it wont be around long even for the fanboys if it keeps hemorrhaging subscriptions. And yet not a peep from Bioware. Have they actually packed it in and given up? All it seems they do is make pretty videos promising new shiny stuff(that will be pushed back and full of bugs), and erase threads critical of them, while they ignore these huge issues.

This is really amazing. I have seen a ton of people saying this was the last straw, they are gone. Then there are the classic people saying "can i haz ur stuffs", being too ignorant to realize this many people leaving for a reason is indicative of a core problem with their beloved game, and it wont be around long even for the fanboys if it keeps hemorrhaging subscriptions. And yet not a peep from Bioware. Have they actually packed it in and given up? All it seems they do is make pretty videos promising new shiny stuff(that will be pushed back and full of bugs), and erase threads critical of them, while they ignore these huge issues.

I think it's less indicative of a core problem with the game and more indicative to a core problem wit the player base, no matter what you do there will be 20 threads the next day with people leaving.

I think it's less indicative of a core problem with the game and more indicative to a core problem wit the player base, no matter what you do there will be 20 threads the next day with people leaving.

Head, I would like to introduce you to my friend Mr. sand.

I lost all 8 of my charaters names, my legacy name, 42 placeholding names , guild name. if it wasnt for me running a guild with people that depend on me to do weekly guild/server events and 16man operations, i would of been done. if and when my guild is done i am too. :mad: why bioware picked such a failed naming system is beyond me. this needs to be fixed , as it stands now i really lost all respect and trust for bioware.

you can fix this by making legacy the only unique name and have people pick thier legacy name when they make thier first toon on a server. then to gain back peoples respect send a BOP one time first name change in the ingame mail.

the way i see it, in 1 years time even though we see it already. thiers going to be stupid names ( ilovecake ) and it will only get worse in time cause all the names will be taken and unused so people will have no choose to do so.

To be honest the people leaving over losing their name/names is very small. BW was losing more people to dead servers. In short, BW was in a lose lose situation no matter what BW did. These transfers and name conflicts were the lesser evils out all the options.

Having the name you want on a dead server isn't doing you any good. At least on a high pop server there are things to do. On my old server swiftsure it wasn't exactly dead, but you know a server isn't doing too well when you list stuff on gtm and only one item sells. Yesterday, I list like 6 items and 4-5 sold within an hour.

Edited by Knockerz

God, I am so mad right now. You see, the JekkJekkThar finally got it's "merge" with The Harbinger. Now when I moved my chars, I lost my names. ALL OF THEM. Ok save, Elikal, but I lost SEVEN of my EIGHT names. And yes, I understand for some people it means nothing. But you see, I have these same 5 names for 8 frigging years. I am attached to them, some especially.

I was Akim TelBane in SWG for 7 frigging years.

I was Akim TelBane in EQ2 for 6 years.

I was Akim TelBane in LOTRO for 3 years.

And they TOOK THE NAME FROM ME.

I had extra preordered SWTOR. I had entered the game in the first few minutes to make sure I get those names I always have. Akim, Matteo, Aryan, Sarnok and Elikal. I have these persona every time. Heck, they even more or less LOOK the same, have the same bio. And now, all but Elikal were taken. Chance is by people who cancelled or came much later. This stinks. And for me it is really the breaking point, where I feel like, ok I can't take it anymore. Not ANOTHER compromise.

I lost all 8 of my charaters names, my legacy name, 42 placeholding names , guild name. if it wasnt for me running a guild with people that depend on me to do weekly guild/server events and 16man operations, i would of been done. if and when my guild is done i am too. :mad: why bioware picked such a failed naming system is beyond me. this needs to be fixed , as it stands now i really lost all respect and trust for bioware.

you can fix this by making legacy the only unique name and have people pick thier legacy name when they make thier first toon on a server. then to gain back peoples respect send a BOP one time first name change in the ingame mail.

the way i see it, in 1 years time even though we see it already. thiers going to be stupid names ( ilovecake ) and it will only get worse in time cause all the names will be taken and unused so people will have no choose to do so.

No it's not an easy fix or a fail name system. Blizzard and many other mmorpg games use the same system. It makes tracking people in game easier for both the company and players. From a programming point of view, the code that controls names was one of early pieces of code written for the game and most likely is used by every other subsequent code. If BW were to change that piece of code there is a high probability of some later piece of code not working. That's why game companies don't like changing early programming code. Finally, I never seen a mmorpg company change their naming policy or name programming code post launch. Any mmorpg company is asking for trouble if the company decides to change the naming programming code. It's just not worth the trouble.

Edited by Knockerz

God, I am so mad right now. You see, the JekkJekkThar finally got it's "merge" with The Harbinger. Now when I moved my chars, I lost my names. ALL OF THEM. Ok save, Elikal, but I lost SEVEN of my EIGHT names. And yes, I understand for some people it means nothing. But you see, I have these same 5 names for 8 frigging years. I am attached to them, some especially.

I was Akim TelBane in SWG for 7 frigging years.

I was Akim TelBane in EQ2 for 6 years.

I was Akim TelBane in LOTRO for 3 years.

And they TOOK THE NAME FROM ME.

I had extra preordered SWTOR. I had entered the game in the first few minutes to make sure I get those names I always have. Akim, Matteo, Aryan, Sarnok and Elikal. I have these persona every time. Heck, they even more or less LOOK the same, have the same bio. And now, all but Elikal were taken. Chance is by people who cancelled or came much later. This stinks. And for me it is really the breaking point, where I feel like, ok I can't take it anymore. Not ANOTHER compromise.

Most likely in few more months you will be able to ask BW to release those names especially if their level 1 and on an inactive account that's been like that for a few months. However, if on an active account very slime chance it will happen.

When it comes to MMOs, everyone either likes it or dislikes it for one reason or another.

To go deeper, there are certain aspects of the game they play for or will only play for that reason.

1. People are gear hunters and like gear based games so they play it for the gear.

2. People like the fact they can be individual with their names and so they play knowing they can have the name or names they have used for years.

3. People like to play for the graphics, so if it looks good, they will play

(vague examples)

and so on

But if any of those things are compromised or do not satisfy that particular players desired within that MMO

Who is to tell them different if the main feature they wanted in an MMO was no longer available?

Lots of folks left SWG when the dark times came. I stuck it out even though I unlocked a Jedi before than. But for the many that DID leave, their game play or the one thing that kept them, changed

so as someone posted before "what's in a name?" Everything to some, nothing to others.

I really mean this when I say :to each his/her own.

If your already a lvl 50 who has those names prior to the transfers you should be entitled to keep them regardless what server your moved to. This first come, first serve policy is really lacking in numbers, it doesn't benefit anyone who has been apart of the game since launch and being forced to change your character's identity (both username & legacy names) now my story is meaningless because of that.

I went where my guild went to, it's only a matter of time before they ended up forcing us out anyways. What really puzzles me is why didn't bioware do something about this before even releasing transfers to the public? This standard naming policy is very basic and shares alot of the same traits as WOW or SWG, why not go for something more unique like "Pirates of the Burning Sea" or "Guild Wars"? at least they have a multiple naming per server policy where your entitled to be any name you want just as long as it's not offensive.

Many players have unsubbed because of this issue, and it needs to be addressed asap, I suggest inter-linking our accounts to the username database where we can choice any username & legacy name we want, without the fear of loss would benefit bioware greatly, or even using microtransactions to buy the username and legacy name you want to be would be another idea.

The matter of the fact is this can't be left in the dark, this is a serious issue and no favoring one after the other isn't the answer either as some have suggested, in-game usernames are just as equally a problem as Legacy names

I disagree your level shouldn't give you more rights than someone else. There are some people who have been playing since December and because of real life obligations they haven't reached level 50 but they have been here since the beginning, yet by what you say just because they are not level 50 they have no rights on their name? No .

Most likely in few more months you will be able to ask BW to release those names especially if their level 1 and on an inactive account that's been like that for a few months. However, if on an active account very slime chance it will happen.

You see this was ALL WRONG.

Why did they not just merge the servers, and then grant that players the precedent who created his char earlier? I was in preorder EXTRA to save my names. I made those 5 names in the first 10 minutes of SWTOR or so. I think I have a RIGHT to have these names, unless someone really made them before me. Which is close to impossible.

I have accepted so many compromises in this game, but not my names.

No it's not an easy fix or a fail name system. Blizzard and many other mmorpg games use the same system. It makes tracking people in game easier for both the company and players. From a programming point of view, the code that controls names was one of early pieces of code written for the game and most likely is used by every other subsequent code. If BW were to change that piece of code there is a high probability of some later piece of code not working. That's why game companies don't like changing early programming code. Finally, I never seen a mmorpg company change their naming policy or name programming code post launch. Any mmorpg company is asking for trouble if the company decides to change the naming programming code. It's just not worth the trouble.

never said it would be easy. they made thier mistake by picking the failed naming system. thier mess not mine but they do have to clean it up or it will just sit thier and grow into a larger mess.

I lost everyone of my names (4). My sub ran out the night I xfered and I figured I would just leave. I haven't really known why I was playing this game for some time so the timing is just about perfect. I guess my toons can linger unplayed as XV5MLTRYU or what ever name BW gave therm.

its looks like a number of euro servers have the same destination sever. If say my server (the paragus mining facility) is one of the last severs to have transfers and is going to the same destiation server as the previous servers. I have a strong feeling most of the names i have chosen for my characters (and thos i have in reserve) will be already taken or quite possibly get ninja'ed as soon as my server is in the transfer update. The fear that i will have to take a name like sample101 or sp00n is extremely depressing . The whole reason i pre orderd was to get a name that i really wanted (<----thats why its a big deal to me) and i chose a path in game that typified the name so its a huge part of that charicters identity.

Just wonderd if anyone has had this problem already or if anyone shared my fear. Also would like to read entertaing trolls about this subject :p

Had eight characters on Shii-Cho which just became available yesterday for transfer to Jedi Covenant after others had a whole weekend plus of time to do so. So that combined with character names tied to RL entities, I was a bit worried that I would have to change their names.

Result was I had to change 5 out of 8 but, was able to accomplish all of them by inserting an apostrophe into them at a syllable break. Weird thing was that on my original server I need to use an apostrophe to get the legacy name I wanted but, it was available without it on Jedi Covenant.

*shrug* Given BW's allowance for using special characters in names it makes it a bit easier by offering some flexibility in how you spell it.

The motto of the story; don't use a simple name based around a popular character in the sci-fi or fantasy genre as 100s of people will have the same number or a close approximation of it.

Create a unique name yourself, preferably with more than 5 letters in it and you won't easily lose it.

You assume too much and don't have a clue.

I lost 3 out of 4 names. Like most of the concerned and upset players posting here, I signed up for early access and logged in the very moment servers went live, to create my favorite character names.

I know I will get grief for this, but I earned those character names and I deserve to keep them. I hope BW does implement a character name purge for inactive accounts.

I did add my lost names to my friends list and I have not seen one of them have logged in since the merge. Yes they could be playing opposite times as me, but I have yet to see an increase in level. I do plan on sending them emails, just to say hello and beg them! LOL!

I rarely post, but as I watch the influx of people moving from one server, to the server I have been at since the beginning ************ about someone having their name, I can only smile.

A couple of things to think about, those of you coming to another server.

1.) You asked, nay, you begged, dare I say DEMANDED these transfers. Now you have them. Take your win where you can get it.

2.) The person that shares had your name on the destination server very well may have been a server native, chances are actually better that it was a native rather then a transfer that had your 'oh so precious' name. You came to thier server. Again, this is your price.

3.) Oh, and three. Someone else chose the EXACT same name as you. So, obviously, you weren't as creative/original as you thought you were.

Basically, yeah, you pay $15 dollars a month to play this game, you aren't going to get everything you want. Fact of life. 15 dollars a month ain't squat. For twice that you can go watch a film in theaters (I'm assuming you got concessions to go along with your tickets, also, that you might actually have brought a date. For a majority of you that is a huge assumption, I know) you'd likely be ************ about too.

So, look at it this way: Bioware has given you a reason to ***** for a full month, and saved you 15 bucks. Perhaps you should show them some appreciation.

I rarely post, but as I watch the influx of people moving from one server, to the server I have been at since the beginning ************ about someone having their name, I can only smile.

1.) You asked, nay, you begged, dare I say DEMANDED these transfers. Now you have them. Take your win where you can get it.

2.) The person that shares had your name on the destination server very well may have been a server native, chances are actually better that it was a native rather then a transfer that had your 'oh so precious' name. You came to thier server. Again, this is your price.

3.) Oh, and three. Someone else chose the EXACT same name as you. So, obviously, you weren't as creative/original as you thought you were.

Basically, yeah, you pay $15 dollars a month to play this game, you aren't going to get everything you want. Fact of life. 15 dollars a month ain't squat. For twice that you can go watch a film in theaters (I'm assuming you got concessions to go along with your tickets, also, that you might actually have brought a date. For a majority of you that is a huge assumption, I know) you'd likely be ************ about too.

So, look at it this way: Bioware has given you a reason to ***** for a full month, and saved you 15 bucks. Perhaps you should show them some appreciation.

1. Bioware didn't implement server transfers because we demanded it. They did it because they wanted to retain their subscribers.

2. Not sure what this has to do with anything. But here goes, If the character is inactive, I believe active characters paying their subscription should have been granted priority on name. Would have been a good PR move to the loyal subscribers.

3. An attachment or fondness of a character name has nothing to do with how unique it was.....really.

Yes, $15 a month is trivial....but there are other games available to spend our money and time. BW would rather us spend them here.

Edited by Graydon

1. Bioware didn't implement server transfers because we demanded it. They did it because they wanted to retain their subscribers.

2. Not sure what this has to do with anything. But here goes, If the character is inactive, I believe active characters paying their subscription should have been granted priority on name. Would have been a good PR move to the loyal subscribers.

3. An attachment or fondness of a character name has nothing to do with how unique it was.....really.

Yes, $15 a month is trivial....but there are other games available to spend our money and time. BW would rather us spend them here.

1. And guess what the number one demand their subscribers wanted? It wasn't cross-server LFG. It was server transfers, because everyone and their dog were complaining that their servers were "ghost towns." You're right; Bioware wanted to retain their subscribers. And they did it by giving them exactly what was being screamed for.

2. Define "inactive." And what makes you think every single name you wanted was inactive? And what if the person whose name you wanted to hijack also felt that their character names were just as important to them? What makes you think your character names have more value than theirs?

3. You're actually correct on this particular point.

All i can say is wow, i love how bioware allows people on here to rub peoples faces in thier good luck but also slam the door on people on thier way out. iam guessing bioware dont like money.

I for one i didnt ask for these transfers and our server wasnt that bad off. so you are wrong

Your lack of compassion and erregence just shines through. why are you here again? o yeah, to rub it in

How people think thiers a huge naming pool to pull from or that fact that alot of people have creativity to make new names that noone heard of, lets just say glad your not running this business.

Sure we dont get everything we want , that doesnt take common sense. but as a business , you have to fix what is broken or a mess that you made to keep people coming back less your trying to run it to the ground.

Again why are you here again and not playing the game plus why is bioware alllowing people to slam the door on thier paying customers?

I disagree your level shouldn't give you more rights than someone else. There are some people who have been playing since December and because of real life obligations they haven't reached level 50 but they have been here since the beginning, yet by what you say just because they are not level 50 they have no rights on their name? No .

I guess you do have a point, but the matter of the fact is something needs to be done about the in-game username & legacy name database, it's not doing anyone any favors especially for those that have rebelled and canceled their subs until they fix it.