Current Transfer Servers

Auck

Ya I assumed more than 1 east coast pve server would be on the list. I do not think that was out of touch or I set my expectations too high.

There's your problem right there. You had expectations. Your own fault for imagining in your head how you thought it would be and then imprinting that dream onto reality. Next time, just wait for the info instead of expecting something.

They only had to say they were going to do 1 of each server at first and I would have been fine with it.

There's really no other response to this than "too bad." They don't care if you're fine with it. I don't, either. They don't have to justify anything to you and they certainly don't have to give you any advance info at all.

I was purposely lied to and mislead. No way gradual means 1 freakin server and no definate plans on when they will add anymore.

I don't see where they lied to or misled you at all. The reality is different than your warped expectations, but that's your own fault, not theirs. Had you gone in with no expectations at all, like you should have, you wouldn't be having this problem.

Reeks of bait and switch. A lot of people paid a sub in June because of this. Its the same thing they did with ranked warzones. Change everything at the last minute and screw over your customers. How anyone can say they expected only 1 east coast pve server to make the list is beyond me. Gradual I understand this is 1 little drop at a time.

Oh please, do you really think a lot of people paid for a month subscription weeks ahead of time for something that may or may not have happened at some point in the future instead of just waiting for the day it actually happened to see the implementation and that it was worth the money? Come on, man. Wake up from your fantasy world. The amount of people whose subscription fees for June was tiny compared to the player base as a whole. Stop being so overdramatic because you have no real argument.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, well said.

Communications are still a weak point with Bioware. There's too much of a tendency towards press release formats rather than say conversational approaches or providing detailed point-by-point systems outlines. They're getting better, but still got a way to go.

They didnt tell us about this because people would have unsubbed in massive numbers. They baited everyone into paying for June by promising we would all be able to transfer. If they had said less than 4% of people could transfer on June 12th and there is no way to know when more will be allowed people would have quit. Thats why they kept us in the dark and only said vague stuff like "soon" and "gradual".

This process will be gradual and staged over time. Despite huge improvements being made to the Character Transfer Service by our server team, there are millions of characters to be moved and there is a limit to how many can be moved daily. We want your character to be transferred as quickly as possible, but we will need you to be patient as the process completes. Once your transfer starts we estimate it will complete in a few hours, butwith the potential volume of transfers occurring, you may find your character is queued for transfer for a while as we deal with the high volume.

"gradual and staged over time" --> These words are meaningless generalizations. How about setting expectation with some tangible goals or benchmarks?

"with the potential volume of transfers occurring, you may find your character is queued for transfer for a while as we deal with the high volume" --> These words are also meaningless generalizations, but they lead the reader in a contradictory direction from the first line of the statement.

The point being that anyone paying attention to these forums over the last 6 weeks would easily realizes the common viewpoint that transfers are considered of critical importance to the health of the game. The fact that BW didn't hear the "voice of their customers" better and manage the expectations is where BW has failed.

1) How would bioware know on which server all guild should be transfered to? Just guild master says "here" and they move all guild there? Nonsense ...

Rift did exactly that. You were given the option to transfer with your guild.

2) There is difference between character name and legacy name ... I sertanly would NOT like to see someone has the same Legacy name and confuses mine with strangers characters ... BTW Blizzard do NOT have doubled names - each server has unique ones see for yourself.

Legacy and character names don't need to be identified with the name itself.

Making things like that solves a LOT of problems, many, many more than it creates.

Exactly. BW just slapped their player base in the face. "You don't get transfers right now and you could get a transfer sometime in the future". That is what they told us and that is why everyone is so angry.

I never thought they could pull off something worse then the Ilum graveyard trap, but they did!

You did not just say 'slap in the face.' You can't have said it. It's just too painful to read. Way to perpetuate the stereotype!

I'm not angry. I'm slightly disappointed not to be on the list - only because I'd like to know where I'll be calling home. Personal interest - not life altering Slapdom. I'm slightly surprised my server isn't the smallest - that's a sense of wonder, in that I was one of 25 a few days ago (counting both sides) There must have been some *really* small servers before, especially if they're folding one into the fatman server.

I just don't feel all that slapped. I still like the game. Life goes on.

eta: The name issue could be entirely solved by using GW's method of allowing spaces, so that you can be your chosen name & a surname. I loved that.

Edited by Aelflaed

to all the folks crying because they might have to wait a few more day's for their server to be eligible. Now you see why bioware is pretty closed when it comes to information sharing. They probably should have not told us last week that transfers were coming today. Instead they could have just popped in this morning and told us that transfers had begun with these servers and more would be added daily. Then instead of people crying on the forums you would of had people celebrating.

I hate to say it, because i wish bioware wasn't so tight lipped about development. But this is precisely why they are and should continue to be so.

^this.

You are all wrong with your misconceptions that the destination servers are all high pop servers. I am on The Bastion (one of the four originally listed as a destination server) and we a VERY low pop; so much so that I'm sometimes the only person on Fleet (prime time average of about 8 on Fleet)

Well get ready for your popluation to DOUBLE!!!!! WOOT

In my opinion, when this free transfer process ends, we'll be left with 10 servers worldwide: all the servers that are set as destination servers today. They will increase those servers population caps, and congregate everyone there. It actually makes sense, according to the talk about mega servers (one server per type -pvp, pve, rp, etc - and language/location).

EDIT: Forgot about RP servers (probably, we'll have one of each as well).

Edited by Yoshiblade

Bioware, feel free to send some folks over to Canderous Ordo.

We're not empty and we regularly have Standard population, but wouldn't it be nice to have Heavy once in awhile?

Only if you change your characters' names so I don't have to when I transfer there;)

The name issue could be entirely solved by using GW's method of allowing spaces, so that you can be your chosen name & a surname. I loved that.

That should be the standard in every game at this point. I never had a name conflict once in GW - and I have over 35 characters across four accounts.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

and you act like it is as simple as emailing a resume. It's not. Could you imagine the amount of rage if they started this on a larger amount of servers and because of the load toons get lost?

I feel the need to step in here. You should stop attacking Leggamy. He is right, database updates and scripts are child's play to any decent DBA or programmer. This isn't something difficult to accomplish. It is two entries that have to be handled per record, server and character name. Nothing else even needs to be changed and the latter only changes with a prompt on conflict.

In the time I've read this thread, I could have wrote the scripts and added an ASP interface and tested it.

The ease of database management is the reason server transfers on wow and other games only take a couple of minutes. These are not processor intensive or highly dynamic scripts that we're talking about. This is basic stuff.

To the people who are saying they are doing these first 10 or so as basically a test... well that is just ridiculous. They have tested it and it works as evidenced by the the character copy to PTS. Why are they only doing 10? Only they know, but I'm guessing they have a dynamic model for how the process will go as it plays out depending on the number of people who move or do not move to each server.

"gradual and staged over time" --> These words are meaningless generalizations. How about setting expectation with some tangible goals or benchmarks?

"with the potential volume of transfers occurring, you may find your character is queued for transfer for a while as we deal with the high volume" --> These words are also meaningless generalizations, but they lead the reader in a contradictory direction from the first line of the statement.

The point being that anyone paying attention to these forums over the last 6 weeks would easily realizes the common viewpoint that transfers are considered of critical importance to the health of the game. The fact that BW didn't hear the "voice of their customers" better and manage the expectations is where BW has failed.

Well said. I would like to see them release the number of people who unsub today, that would be hilarious.

Well I can tell you what I expected this morning

A list of all the servers that were going to be moving.

Sure don't move them all at the same time you can have a day set for them and group them by that I don't care but a full list of servers that are going to have to move would be nice

You weren't promised June. Nobody was.

What? They said transfers would be June 12th. They never said only 4% would be June 12th. They most definately promised transfers on the 12th. They just didnt tell us it would be 1 east coast pve server only. If they had then I wouldnt have a problem with it. Ah well no big deal you apologists keep going hell they have already lost 400k subs we know of. I bet today they lost easily 100k more. Pretty soon you will be wondering where everyone is.

Today's hate threads are eerily similar to when people complained that there weren't enough servers for early launch, and we know how that turned out. Why doesn't everyone calm down and let BW do these transfers correctly, in a very careful and calculated manner?

Not for long. Cheer up. ;p

I think the problem for us on the East Cost US is that "The Fat Man" is one of the highest population servers, sometimes having long Que times to log in. That server is a destination server! Servers such as "The Defencestrator" should be a destination server. We have a great community, we just need a higher population.

Impossible to do as it will be changing hourly, dictated by the eb and flow of player decisions. Do you understand at all the magnitude of information that will be directing this entire process, what it will take to absorb and analyze it, how often and how drastically it could change? It is not at all as simple as people are attempting to make it seem.

To be honest this is how I expected the transfers to go and am happy its slower than people want.

At first they will probably be doing small batches with people checking to make sure the transfer went as expected which will be slower but if something does go wrong gets picked up quickly and the process fixed. As time goes on and they are happy the system works they will then probably start doing larger batches of transfers with less checks speeding things up. Eventually they will reach a point where they are happy to just let things run automatically.

I prefer this to them potentially doing thousands of transfers then finding out a high percentage of them failed.