The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Infrared Sensors, Why the love?

AnAcuteAngle

It seems like it's posted in almost every build, and I just don't understand it.

With such a Heat intensive mechanic to Pyro, why is everyone taking this over Rapid Venting?

Because it gives us a much better chance of catching Operatives and more importantly Assassins and their mirrors before they open up on us or while they're guarding a node so we get the initiative. Not sure about your server but there are a ton of Assassin/Shadows on mine and it works quite well to catch them. Gyroscopic Alignment Jets is generally a solid substitute for Rapid Venting and vents a ton of heat with the stupid amount of crowd control in this game.

With the way stealth works in this game, adding a little more detection does not do much for you. Stealth classes use sneak (temporary plus stealth) abilities to get to their intended target undetected. When they do not do this you can spot them without additional detection talents.

I like it I find I spot people sometimes who are risking a sneak past and others do not see them. A quick DoT application soon fixes that. I also like having a shorter cooldown on the scan, its not just good for guarding, a lot of classes will vanish to escape death and dropping a scan is good for that.

Personally I still take gyroscopic vents and rapid venting keeps my dps higher with less downtime. I don't use degauss its too situational I pop shield for damage reduction not to break cc and since I don't take energy rebounder I like to keep my shield for when I need it.

Edited by Vanishing_Point

With the way stealth works in this game, adding a little more detection does not do much for you. Stealth classes use sneak (temporary plus stealth) abilities to get to their intended target undetected. When they do not do this you can spot them without additional detection talents.

This is'nt exactly accurate. Stealth classes can't been seen until you are up close if they are specced for stealth. Most sins are tankasin specced and don't take improved stealth.. so yea you can see them quicker. If they are deception specced or an operative that is actually concealment specced then you would have to literally be on top of them to see them. At which point you would have to sneak up on them to catch them like that or they were already closing the distance to you and you moved so they weren't behind you anymore.

Otherwise you won't be seeing a stealther with improved stealth... so the AOE stealth detection before you get into a bad situation is never a bad idea. BTW Concealment and Deception are the least played specs... so seeing a stealther in a stealth spec is kinda rare, but since the scanner is ranged it's worth upgrading and any stealth class without improved stealth will be clearly visible before you get close to them.

Edited by DarkDruidSS

It seems like it's posted in almost every build, and I just don't understand it.

With such a Heat intensive mechanic to Pyro, why is everyone taking this over Rapid Venting?

Its taken more so for the Stealth Scan over the passive stealth detection.

Using Stealth Scan on nodes or around a friendly healer that's at range can be very beneficial.

Sap skills have a very decent range so if you get stuck solo defending again, having a lower cool down scan can help break them out of stealth earlier to either make them waste a vanish or engage fully.

Infrared Sensors allow me to pull a target out of stealth before they can open up on a capper or another player. They rarely allow me to stop a stealther from opening on me. However there is nothing so frustrating for a stealth class than being seen moving past you and you pull them out of stealth with any of a dozen tools we have. During a 15 minute pvp match I can usually catch one to two stealthers which makes these talent points more than worth it.

Good Stealth classes don't typically open on powertechs anyway unless we are the only choice.

The only good dps PT spec is 7/3/31 or 4/6/31 I'm not sure what you are talking about.

It's an absolutely essential pvp skill. Tank shadows get NO bonus to effective stealth level (which in itself is necessary to avoid quick players, cause ppl will see you), and this halves their safe sneaking distance. It also negates the effective stealth bonus gained by dps operatives and shadows.

It's actually way more effective for classes with stealth probe than without. You don't even need the precision of targetting and attacking to make use of it. Simply probing in the area will do the job far better.

TL;DR: It would be a strong talent on any class, but its especially strong with us.

Edited by ShiroRX

I think some you may be overestimating how much of a stealth detection increase this is. You can spot stealth that isn't sneaking quite easily without this talent.

Personally I chose other talents.

There isn't, actually. It's better than every other "subjective" talent in the tree. It's better than Degauss, Rapid Venting, or Automated Defenses. It's not just about the stealth detection either, its a talent that gives TOO MUCH useful to not be considered. It's stealth detection, the extra defense, and the reduced probe cooldown.

Maybe you Powertechs exist in a different reality, where people don't play Shadows or Scoundrels. But people absolutely play Assassins and Operatives. My Probe is used very frequently. Very. frequently.

Edited by ShiroRX