Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

Where are people getting these 82% and 18% numbers from? Or 80% and 20%? Is someone in these forums a math major?

Not sure if serious and really think you have to be a math major to figure our simple percentages or if a troll. I'm hoping for the latter, but believing the former.

On a side note, I'd be willing to bet that multiple people on these forums have majors in physical sciences/math/etc. By multiple, I mean thousands....

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mmo will ever let you move from PvE to PvP it wouldn't be fair to level up without a challenge and them transfer your 50 over to the pvp community

Actually I can think of one that allows just this. It is part of their phasing servers. You can come and go as you please between pve and pvp.

Actually I can think of one that allows just this. It is part of their phasing servers. You can come and go as you please between pve and pvp.

When MMO's focused on group play and less about single player gratification or "Be the first to beat...." they wouldn't allow it. You know when you needed to group up for practically everything, there was no way a healer could level alone in FFXI after a certain point :p

I have a few questions for someone who has done a transfer already (or possibly for a dev if they wish to answer):

If I happen to get lucky and I am able to reserve my character's name on my destination server, what would be the best way to go about ensuring my transferred character will get that name?

Should I delete the name camper first and then initiate the transfer? Or should I leave the name camper while the transfer takes place in order to assure no one else gets it during the process? When I log in a toon that must be renamed, am I absolutely required to rename at that instant, or can I log back out without renaming yet and rename at a later time?

An finally, what about legacy renames? Must I rename my legacy if the name is taken on my destination server right away? I.e. do I have to do it on the first log in or can I log back out, mull on it, and come back and rename it later?

Edited by Parthenon

Just because the transfer service is available, do we have to use it even if at the moment, we don't want to?

I don't have any characters that I want to transfer at this time.

What I'd rather see is more color choices opened up for the Twi'Leks (without having to make a Sith just to get them).

Or see the option for actually choosing the colors on outfits. Or to see a wardrobe added to the ships to put clothing in - so the cargo hold could just be for crafting materials, weapons, stims, droid parts, etc.

Just because the transfer service is available, do we have to use it even if at the moment, we don't want to?

I don't have any characters that I want to transfer at this time.

What I'd rather see is more color choices opened up for the Twi'Leks (without having to make a Sith just to get them).

Or see the option for actually choosing the colors on outfits. Or to see a wardrobe added to the ships to put clothing in - so the cargo hold could just be for crafting materials, weapons, stims, droid parts, etc.

This appears to be on everybody's mind. Unfortunately it appears thinking like this is running the show...400k drop in subscribers give them a pet. Server populations start to merge and it makes thousands unhappy, give more color options. I Really think the gimic days and free months are not going to change the customer service opinion.

Really you'd rather change colour than be able to group up and consume the content? really?!?!?

Transfers will be open for as long as you need them apparently BUT I have a feeling they'll force you off eventually anyways.

Yeah, honestly I'd rather change some of the colors on outfits.

Then why make so many servers just to make players upset about having to MOVE in the first place?

Yeah, honestly I'd rather change some of the colors on outfits.

Then why make so many servers just to make players upset about having to MOVE in the first place?

They were anticipating a bigger rush for the game and made all the servers to handle the expected load. Unfortunately a lot of people left and it emptied a majority of the servers after a few months. They are trying to consolidate things now and the process should be handled within the next week here.

It's just a shame that Bioware is treating a portion of their customers like redheaded step children. Lots of us are left out in the cold. I'd be more angry if I didn't have to work all weekend. It would have still been nice to get my transfer done and settle into a new server so I'd be ready for action Monday. However it looks like I'll have to spend one of my 2 days to game waiting to see when and if I can actually start doing group content that I pay hard earned money for. Last time I checked we all pay the same amount so to have some people transferred and others not is quite simply wrong.

They were anticipating a bigger rush for the game and made all the servers to handle the expected load. Unfortunately a lot of people left and it emptied a majority of the servers after a few months. They are trying to consolidate things now and the process should be handled within the next week here.

They made the wrong choice then and they appear to have made the wrong one again now. Instead of opening so many servers they should have run the numbers and really approximated how many they needed, both when they had too many players and too few. Now it looks like they're going to end up with situations like 2 full and 1 low pop server.

It just seems as though they've never sat down and figured out exactly how many players on a server is ideal. Filling up the few servers they picked as destinations wasn't the right choice, especially if they're optimistic at all about players returning and new players joining.

They made the wrong choice then and they appear to have made the wrong one again now. Instead of opening so many servers they should have run the numbers and really approximated how many they needed, both when they had too many players and too few. Now it looks like they're going to end up with situations like 2 full and 1 low pop server.

It just seems as though they've never sat down and figured out exactly how many players on a server is ideal. Filling up the few servers they picked as destinations wasn't the right choice, especially if they're optimistic at all about players returning and new players joining.

There seems to be a mentality on the TOR team that the customer is not always right and that forging ahead is better than going slow and finding the right answer. If you look at the Legacy system this is a great example. I wish someone at BW would just say, "wait, let's think about this and maybe even poll the players". (Note by poll the players I mean in game, not via the forums) Instead they seem to take the approach that they are right regardless of the legitimate problems their solutions might create.

There seems to be a mentality on the TOR team that the customer is not always right and that forging ahead is better than going slow and finding the right answer. If you look at the Legacy system this is a great example. I wish someone at BW would just say, "wait, let's think about this and maybe even poll the players". (Note by poll the players I mean in game, not via the forums) Instead they seem to take the approach that they are right regardless of the legitimate problems their solutions might create.

A perfect example of this is their inability to give an answer to the EU RP-PvP servers that can't transfer because of the rules that Bioware has put in place. So, even after all of the other servers have been offered their transfer, those people will be stuck on their dead servers. Unless Bioware is just failing to be transparent in their solution considering the outrage expressed by the people on those servers. As it is, they've said they don't have a solution in the works.

Just an FYI, good companies attempt to please all of their customers, not just "A greater number"... You will never please everyone, but you ought to try or your company will go down the toilet. Look at Apple. Have you ever been in one of their stores. Those people do everything they can for the customer. Every customer. Apple = $500 Billion Net Worth. Correlation???

Yea I've been in Apple stores. They make me angry. "$30 for an iPod charge cord!?!?" "$1700 for a computer with less power and compatability than my $700 PC?!?!"

try looking at wow kinda negates that statement no ? ;) i think you need to lvl on a pvp server im on tomb of freedom nadd play in gmt+1 prime time and there is nothing hard in lvling there. Theres hardly any world pvp when lvling i was diapointed as heck when i leveled. Besides remember there is nothing that makes it worth killing anyone in open world in swtor it's wasted time if not for the fun because you could have been in a wz and gotten more out of it.

Ganking is its own reward.

Yea I've been in Apple stores. They make me angry. "$30 for an iPod charge cord!?!?" "$1700 for a computer with less power and compatability than my $700 PC?!?!"

Dont buy a Mac then. I own both a PC and a Mac. I use them for different things. The real question was, "Did you get good service while you were in the store?". In this instance, we are all a customer of the same company getting different levels of service. That is the issue.

The customer isn't always right. Often the opposite. Anyone who's worked retail can attest to that.

Dont buy a Mac then. I own both a PC and a Mac. I use them for different things. The real question was, "Did you get good service while you were in the store?". In this instance, we are all a customer of the same company getting different levels of service. That is the issue.

Mediocre. In general, no worse or better than any other retail shop. I've bought iPods and accessories there several times, had average experiences, bought a laptop with my sister once, had a slightly better than average experience, bought an iMac for myself back in the day before Windows 7 made PCs palatable again and had a pretty crappy experience where they weren't able to install the RAM I wanted, and offered no options besides waiting a week for them to get more in or taking a 1 and a half ride to the next closest Apple Store, no offer of a discount or attempts to figure anything else out.

A Queue to get in is a lot better than a queue that doesn't let you play at all :p

And no queue to get in and then being able to play is better than either of them. And that is something BW could have easily achieved by approaching the problem properly.

Please everyone keep in mind that populations in fleet aren't the numbers they're looking at. They're looking at total number of "potential transfers", which includes people away from the game, waiting for transfers.

It is to laugh. if that was what they were looking at they would not have servers already with queues because those "potential transfers" are going to make things much worse.

If Bioware wanted to monitor anything, they'd have to monitor the first transfers - not the last. Still looks like nothing more than a 'don't want to work weekends, but can't say so' excuse.

I am leaning more towards "we messed up and are not sure how to fix things, we need time to look at the options".

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

The customer isn't always right. Often the opposite. Anyone who's worked retail can attest to that.

I don't think you understand the idiom. The customer is of course not always right, the expressions meaning however is that the customer in being wrong still an important part of the equation for a business. Any business that does not believe in satisfying as many of its customers as possible and in such a way as to offend as few as possible will end up out of business.

Foresight and communication are keys to keeping customers happy, even ones who are "wrong", Bioware clearly lacks a good communication skills or even good foresight. Their inability to communicate their plans have resulted in a plethora of dissatisfied customers, they should have had the foresight to see this.

Ok, so day 6 since server transfers came out, and we've been with the game since launch, and they put our guild on Sith Wyrm, all we wanna know is what's happening with it???? destination or outgoing, please give us word, we've been with u since beta and know it's pointless to try and stick with a dying server if we want a good guild, tried it for 3 years on CoV....please list sith wyrm soon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.