Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to equate the hour in which last do an update to the amount of work that we are all putting into this.

As annoying as it is to require this extra work, it's come about from the lack of vision and bad updates. I'm sure you have plenty of work to do, but it is not unreasonable for players to just know what the "plan" is for their server and if you are telling me that these decisions are being made ad-hoc based on transfers on-going then it seems a very much "hit and hope" tactic on movement.

I understand you ladies and gentlemen have put in a lot of extra hours and work to make these transfers happen. I think it is going to be a great thing as we patiently await. Im not asking for a time frame but just if the server "The Shadowlands" will either be an origin or destination server? This server suffers from the same population problems as most others. Any response would be appreciated

Same as what I've been telling a lot of people. Just wait your turn. They can't provide information on whether or not your server will be origin or destination, because the information can change at any given moment.

You seem to equate the hour in which last do an update to the amount of work that we are all putting into this. Many weekends and extra hours have been worked in order to bring us to this point. Within the past 48 hrs, we've opened up 122 servers for character transfers in a service that has run (relatively and knock on wood) smoothly. We understand your passion and desire for a transfer, but know that we are taking many factors into account, including making sure that servers are stable.

You mean to tell us you put this much time into this and collectively this is the best Bioware as a whole can come up with?

You packaged and sold a game on the concept of this new legacy system and yet the vast majority of players transfering DUE TO BIOWARES NEGLIGENCE, are having to rename?

I must say Joveth, I do not envy your job. I don't think I would be able to put up with the people on these forums.

LOL. He probably have one of the best jobs around working for a gaming company and getting paid good money. Right now this guy have a lot of work and is just doing his job.

you mean to tell us you put this much time into this and collectively this is the best bioware as a whole can come up with?

You packaged and sold a game on the concept of this new legacy system and yet the vast majority of players transfering due to biowares negligence, are having to rename?

qfe...

As annoying as it is to require this extra work, it's come about from the lack of vision and bad updates. I'm sure you have plenty of work to do, but it is not unreasonable for players to just know what the "plan" is for their server and if you are telling me that these decisions are being made ad-hoc based on transfers on-going then it seems a very much "hit and hope" tactic on movement.

Thats the only way to do it. Balancing server populations necessitates a fluid approach.

Same as what I've been telling a lot of people. Just wait your turn. They can't provide information on whether or not your server will be origin or destination, because the information can change at any given moment.

However, at the moment, its probably safe to assume you will be an origin server, as at most I wouldnt expect more than 6 more destinations in NA. Possibly no more.

Yea... until all the bugs that invariably come with legit mergers happen. When the server stay down for 2 extra days, and come back up to your gear and bank contents being lost into the ether, if not your actual toon. Yup, sounds good.

Exact same issues that can happen with transfers, so don't even try that.

It's just the exact same process, except in the end, one server ends up being closed at the end instead of just barren.

It's just the exact same process, except in the end, one server ends up being closed at the end instead of just barren.

Can happen, yes. But legit merger in other games have been notortiously way more buggy than transfers.

Boy people are impatient. Before you start flinging obscenities, just understand one thing. You will get your turn. Nothing more, nothing less. Cry murder all you want, this is what you're going to get. This keeps it fair for everyone involved.

I understand and appreciate all the hard work and extra hours your team has put into these server transfers. I undertand it will take a little time but I was wondering if you could say if the server "The Shadowlands" will be considered for either an origin or destination server? Im not asking for a time frame however this server suffers from the low population problems like most others. Thankyou

Also don't forget that at the end of the day BW is beholden to EA and their shareholders, and shareholders would much rather hear "free targeted server transfers for the purpose of server consolidation" than "server mergers."

I understand and appreciate all the hard work and extra hours your team has put into these server transfers. I undertand it will take a little time but I was wondering if you could say if the server "The Shadowlands" will be considered for either an origin or destination server? Im not asking for a time frame however this server suffers from the low population problems like most others. Thankyou

No they can't say, because they don't want to either promise anything, or post something that people will take as "Word of (insert preferred deity here)" and go up in arms when they have to make a change to it.

This process seems like it may be a bit more rigorous then your standard MMO transfer service. See that not only do they have to effectively transfer legacy data, and general character and item information (like other mmos) as Daniel Erickson had pointed out in one of the FAQs about making our own personal stories, there is a lot of "extra" character story data form the game already that is being drug around, and this data too presumably has to be transferred.

The skinny of it is that they are working with more data sets then perhaps your standard MMO and are moderately adding servers to make sure this data is re located to the destination server database properly.

Yes it will be either an origin or destination.

So will BW stop the transfer before the weekend and continue on Monday or will they continue the batches into the weekend ?

At the rate they are going they have over half the servers already up for transfers in a little over a day. They should easily have all up by Friday afternoon

So will BW stop the transfer before the weekend and continue on Monday or will they continue the batches into the weekend ?

If they keep this pace all the servers should be open for transfer tomorrow or the next day.