The Assassin's Role (post 1.3 PvE)

doctorfunk

My tank assassin is in all Rakata and Black hole with and I really noticed the last two days. A couple of healers in groups I have been in have commented on it, saying I am now a lot harder to heal. I liked playing an assassin as a main tank, it was a lot more fun than a jug or powertech, but now I am about done with the character, and am trying to roll up a powertech to replace my main tank, because I can no longer main tank on my assassin.

Does anyone know an email addres to contact Bioware and let them know what I feel about the nerf.

I have to make an Republic Alt to get HK-51, I guess I will roll a Jedi Guardian and put my Sin Tank in a shelve or occasionally use as Madness DPS, that is the only thing left for Sins to shine in PVE world, I hope they will not nerf that also....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a JUG tank continuously mitigate why the hell I should wait certain spells to go over so I can mitigate.....

To be able to keep up mitigating with a JUG, I have to cast 3xHD FL as soon as stacks are up and now u are saying I have to wait to 30s for an end of a phase to use my self heal to mitigate.....

That is exactly my point, BW looks to the paper, says, ohhh JUG tank has %50 mitigation, we will give Sin Tank %40 mitigation and close the delta with self heal and they make their calculation like Tank will sit stand still and cast its self heals all the time....

May be that works in their ideal world but when a Boss mechanics forces u to move all the time, it is not.....

In ideal world I can get my 3xHD FL stack every 10s so and self heal/ mitigate, with this Boss and many more, I can only use it every 30s or break the cast in the middle.....

I mean is it fair that a JUG tank sits there and mitigate and I have to pull my hair out?

well actually, the big thing i forgot is that the boss doesnt cast the green goo at the tank, so you really dont need to stop casting or anything. just pull him around while you build stacks, then stop, cast FL, and keep moving him to the next location. pretty easy really. just did it yesterday

Its funny how many still think the others will still want them as a Tank in the future, when 2 other tank classes take much less damage then Assassins, guys be prepared that you get the boot or the "please respec DPS" notification soon.

In a month most Tankasins will have vanished, it just depends how long the Healers want to carry them...

I had high hopes for 1.3 before i read our death-nerv, i loved to MT in raids and i loved to tank in PvP, but both is destroyed now, same with my hopes that they fix the awful 1.2 PvP "balancing", they actually killed it, but they dont take it back, that PvP is only for burst classes anymore.

I really love much on this game, but it seems they are unable to get ppl which have any clue on balancing into the right spot, any changes are taking months and the balancing gets worse instead of more balanced, its a shame but i have given up and unsubbed.

The nerf is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Especially with the 8 new augment slots we get (ear, 2 implant, 2 relic, offhand, belt, bracer), our absorb/shield goes quite a bit up, especially if you use war hero shield or defense relics (which you should, they are practically bis for every class).

I tanked all of EC HM today.

On zorn/toth, I did not notice much of a difference at all, neither did my healers, they even claimed I was still easier to heal than our jugg tank (though to be fair, I augmented all the new pieces, he hasnt yet cause he is dirt poor).

On the tank, not much of a difference either.

On minefield, I did notice getting hit harder by the probe and vorgath. But they healed me just fine.

On kephess, I actually felt a lot less squishier, but that is probably due to all the absorb/shield I gained.

For reference..

70% shield (with dark ward up)

57% absorb

27% defense

40% damage reduction

Today we accidentally pulled the first boss of LI before our second DPSer got there. We decided that since we were dead anyways, might as well try to see if we could pull off the 3 man.

Our tank was an assassin. Our healer was a Sorc.

We did it.

Edited by Rischardo

people keep saying you wont notice unless you are doing hm or nm operations, but we went and did some hard mode fps last night the healer could tell a huge difference and i could as well. my health bar looks like a yo yo of spikey damage.

yay us. i dont know maybe heavily geared assassins dont notice as much but it seems like in a mix of columi and rakata gear its quite noticeable.

ya we run are logs in raids with every one and by far the sin is now taking more damage then any other tank are. Our guild has side lined sin tanks for more strong tank classes i will say nice job bioware on making sin tanks the last choice for raiding. Because guild healer going dude i spend more time healing you then any other tank. How fare is that bioware,

Edited by Neoforcer

well actually, the big thing i forgot is that the boss doesnt cast the green goo at the tank, so you really dont need to stop casting or anything. just pull him around while you build stacks, then stop, cast FL, and keep moving him to the next location. pretty easy really. just did it yesterday

If ur crap PUG DPS will come hiding behind u during the green goo phase well then there is no clean spaces.....

U are all the time evading main topic, the main topic does any other tank class should have to reduce their mitigation because of the boss mechanics? I say no but Sin Tanks are, and on the top of that they have to be nerfed.....

If ur crap PUG DPS will come hiding behind u during the green goo phase well then there is no clean spaces.....

U are all the time evading main topic, the main topic does any other tank class should have to reduce their mitigation because of the boss mechanics? I say no but Sin Tanks are, and on the top of that they have to be nerfed.....

well its rare that that happens, and it just takes a bit of skill to avoid it and know when to use your FL. i find it another fun challenge to master. also, why is your DPS coming up right behind you during the fight? tell them to back off

Well it's begun, thanks BioWare for this, that as a Darkness Assassin I have been asked to not tank.

I love BW so much the , well, it's just seeping out of me.

May they (BW Devs) all play a Darkness Assassin Tank in PvE.

Well it's begun, thanks BioWare for this, that as a Darkness Assassin I have been asked to not tank.

I love BW so much the , well, it's just seeping out of me.

May they (BW Devs) all play a Darkness Assassin Tank in PvE.

Then you are running with baddies if they ask you not to tank as a tanksin. My guild has run and cleared HM EC with 2 tanksins multiple times post 1.3 with no problem.

Then you are running with baddies if they ask you not to tank as a tanksin. My guild has run and cleared HM EC with 2 tanksins multiple times post 1.3 with no problem.

If u immortals are clearing the EC HM so regularly, that mean u are walking around BH mods and Campaign gear....which u farmed most probably before the nerf....

We, bare mortals, trying to do that stuff with combination of Rakatas and Columi gear....

Please wear again u Rakata and Columi gear and tell ur impressions again then....

If u immortals are clearing the EC HM so regularly, that mean u are walking around BH mods and Campaign gear....which u farmed most probably before the nerf....

We, bare mortals, trying to do that stuff with combination of Rakatas and Columi gear....

Please wear again u Rakata and Columi gear and tell ur impressions again then....

While you are right, you are not without options. While not BiS your sin tanks can get Black Hole mods without completing Kephess.

BH comms.....

LFG Tool 7 x 5 Daily T1 HM random FP = 35

LFG Tool 7 x 5 T2 FP = 35

LFG Tool Story Mode OP EV/KP = 35 (Dont recall if this is a daily or weekly)

EC run excluding Kephess (3 chests (12) and 3 bosses (6)) = 18

EC Weekly = 8

Potential BH Comms = 132/week

Now i realize it would require some sort of freak to get all that done daily/weekly and for most of us Depends and unemployment are not desirable. Even doing a portion of the above could nearly net 1 peice a week of BH gear to boost up the tanks. Also the extra boss loot you can pick and choose the best mods/enhances to make the most of your Rakata in the meantime.

Edited by Spaj

While you are right, you are not without options. While not BiS your sin tanks can get Black Hole mods without completing Kephess.

BH comms.....

EC Weekly = 8

Now i realize it would require some sort of freak to get all that done daily/weekly and for most of us Depends and unemployment are not desirable. Even doing a portion of the above could nearly net 1 peice a week of BH gear to boost up the tanks. Also the extra boss loot you can pick and choose the best mods/enhances to make the most of your Rakata in the meantime.

99% sure that the T1 and T2 FP from the LFG tool share a reward.

This really is not correct at all. In the blog going over the 1.3 class changes the developer writing the blog stated that the change to the heal was made because the assassin tanks were hitting higher PvE survivability metrics than intended. Basically the change was made because tanking as an assassin was easier than intended.

This, Tankassins were as good as any other tank without the self heal, AND they could self heal. I'm still destroying +3 level elites as a matter of course post 1.3 so I really can't imagine what any of you are complaining about. We were obsenely powerful before the nerf, and we're still rediculous after it.

99% sure that the T1 and T2 FP from the LFG tool share a reward.

They do not. They are specifically separate so you can do them both, IF you can do them both.

Edited by KalSpiro

This, Tankassins were as good as any other tank without the self heal, AND they could self heal. I'm still destroying +3 level elites as a matter of course post 1.3 so I really can't imagine what any of you are complaining about. We were obsenely powerful before the nerf, and we're still rediculous after it.

Wrong. Sins had the lowest mitigation prior to patch, now they have even lower mitigation. I don't care if you can solo elites and champions, plenty of other classes can too. What matters is how we perform in HM Ops where self healing is insignificant or useless (HM Kephess says hello), and there we are clearly lacking. On bosses that use melee or ranged attacks we do fine, but BW has already acknowledge their failure to design Ops properly by using too much Force and Tech based damage which cannot be shielded or defended (main source of protection for Sins).

They do not. They are specifically separate so you can do them both, IF you can do them both.

Wrong again. They are a shared daily reward.

Wrong. Sins had the lowest mitigation prior to patch, now they have even lower mitigation. I don't care if you can solo elites and champions, plenty of other classes can too. What matters is how we perform in HM Ops where self healing is insignificant or useless (HM Kephess says hello), and there we are clearly lacking. On bosses that use melee or ranged attacks we do fine, but BW has already acknowledge their failure to design Ops properly by using too much Force and Tech based damage which cannot be shielded or defended (main source of protection for Sins).

Just because you're no good at it, doesn't make the class a failure. Plenty of other people are doing it with no down turn. Perhaps you're not geared properly, or are buffing the wrong ratings over others.

Not my faut.

Wrong again. They are a shared daily reward.

This was said specifically in the blog, as well as displaying in the group finder, that Teir 1 and Teir 2 are separate. All FP excluding Lost Island for 5 a day, and then Lost Island on its own for 5 also. Try it, you might learn something.

Edited by KalSpiro

BH comms.....

EC Weekly = 8

Completely wrong.

• T1 and T2 flashpoints share the same reward, hence the maximum weekly award for FPs = 35
  • SM EV & KP rewards are classified as daily, but the Ops lockout still applies, which means after you complete them you are no longer able to queue for that reward. Hence maximum weekly reward = 10
  • Rakghoul weekly = 8
  • Black Hole weekly = 6
  • SM EC (4*2 + 3*4) = 20
  • EC weekly = 8
  • KP NiM clear (3*2 + 2*3) = 12
  • HM EC (4*4 + 3*4) = 28
  • Nightmare Pilgrim = 4

Hence total for the week without killing any HM EC bosses is 99 (or 97 if you cannot kill Kephess). It's still plenty, but far from your 132 number, and more than half of it requires raiding. Absolute maximum for the week is 133, but if you can do that you no longer care about BH comms anyway.

Just because you're no good at it, doesn't make the class a failure. Plenty of other people are doing it with no down turn. Perhaps you're not geared properly, or are buffing the wrong ratings over others.

Nice try at personal insult, but we're working on last 10% of HM Kephess. Doesn't change the fact that a non-Sin tank is preferred for the fight, or the fact that BW even admits it.

This was said specifically in the blog, as well as displaying in the group finder, that Teir 1 and Teir 2 are separate. All FP excluding Lost Island for 5 a day, and then Lost Island on its own for 5 also. Try it, you might learn something.

So you read it in a blog and then came mouthing off on the forums. I on the other hand tested it every single day since the patch. Maybe you should try it before you open your stupid mouth again. BTW, nowhere in patch notes does it say what you claim. It does say this though:

"Players can receive bonus rewards for using Group Finder by keeping the default selections, which will result in a randomly selected Flashpoint or Operation. Players receive bonus rewards the first time each day they complete a random Flashpoint or Hard Mode Flashpoint, or complete a Story Mode Operation. Rewards are received upon completing the content."

The t1 and t2 instances do indeed SHARE the daily BH comms. If you complete LI through the finder it will say "Daily reward already claimed" for both the t1's and t2 in the finder. Or vice versa. Horribly wrong info posted here.

I've seen so much confusion over using the finder and how to get the comms on my server already. Very simple process, but people are still not clear on it. And this is even worse here, spouting inaccurate info just to further add to the confusion. Are you people even playing the game?

whats are roll post 1.3 well it sure is not tanking my guild even though able to carry a sin tanks in most cases does not wish to do so with such a broken class. the sin of the guild have now been delegated to dpsing which is no fun when al;l you want to do is tank. Now to tank sin are rolling other tank class alts nice job dev team. bet your metric show sin shadows now being an under played class. , Will you do any thing about i no it took you like 6 month for server tranfers. What little hope do sins have.

What I'm seeing is a lot of people in this thread who are whining and ************, saying they've done this and they've done that, they've tanked this, they've gotten their *** beat at that.

What I don't see is any names/servers/guilds that these people are attached to.

How many of you are actually Assassin tanks? I feel like this entire thread is a joke.

I have been and continue to be the main tank in my raid group. I continue to completely solo Belsavis, Ilum, and Black Hole dailies (including heroics). I am the Sorno tank, do not switch during Foreman Crusher, the Firebrand tank, the Vorgath tank, and the Kephess kiter. I run LI HM with a Marauder, Juggernaut DPS, and an Op or Merc healer every week. I tank Nightmare Pilgrim every week.

Someone mentioned earlier that boss mobs ignore shields? I guess that's why I fight Firebrand and MY healer spends most of the fight DPSing. I guess that's why I parry Kephess. I guess that's why I parry rail shots. I wish someone had told me that I can't shield against bosses.

There are some valid points here, but there are some absolutely ridiculous statements, too. Lost Island's droid boss is predictable. Don't use Force Lightning when you know he's going to incinerate you. If you do biff it, Force Shroud it. You can completely dodge the explosive charges from the last boss and I'm pretty sure that was already stated. I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I am not a liability for my healers and 1.3 hasn't changed that at all. The only thing I have any complaints about is: Durability. Having 80 as a tank sucks, sometimes. Armor models. I really don't get a lot of looks to chose from. :/

Other than that, from a PvE point of view, I am still doing the same thing I did pre-1.3. I will continue to be the main tank of my guild as the new content launches.

If you're so concerned with numbers and not the fact that you can DO YOUR JOB, then maybe you should re-roll. I can't remember where, exactly, I heard it, but there's supposedly a bunch of other classes in this game that you can play. I do my job just fine and none of my guild members complain about it. Guess I'm just lucky that way.

Edited by Andex
Typos

Yes content is not at all impossible. Everyone got tons of augments now so you become basically the same as before the nerf and healers have been buffed by this plenty so no worry.

Assassins only suck compared to other tanks in things like 16 man hm and not compared to the content itself.

You are in a sense carried but there are plenty of carry ability out there now and if healers can keep you up they can and you are no liability. Do not sit and calculate and compare mitigation and check how much self healing will offset in 16 man etc. Then you will only get depressed.

Edited by Dhariq

Yeah, you keep mentioning 16m HM EC. I doubt you've ever done it.

You should educate yourself about tanks.

You should also educate yourself about this whole concept of being carried. Everyone carries everyone else. It's how the holy trinity works. All you've done is make repeated posts that belittle other people, who attempt to make valid points.

To further emphasize my point, you mention self-healing. I didn't mention self-healing at all. Nor did I mention calculating anything. Reading comprehension is hard.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=497115&page=2

Edited by Andex

Yeah, you keep mentioning 16m HM EC. I doubt you've ever done it.

You should educate yourself about tanks.

You should also educate yourself about this whole concept of being carried. Everyone carries everyone else. It's how the holy trinity works. All you've done is make repeated posts that belittle other people, who attempt to make valid points.

To further emphasize my point, you mention self-healing. I didn't mention self-healing at all. Nor did I mention calculating anything. Reading comprehension is hard.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=497115&page=2

Character/guild info in signature. We're working on last 10% of HM Kephess. Have done 16s, but until they fix all the lag and disconnects on POT5, we're sticking with multiple 8 mans.

You're criticizing others for belittling when that's exactly what you did to everyone else with your previous post. Your post basically summarized to "I'm doing it fine, QQ more".

Most points in the thread are valid, we were over-nerfed and in the wrong areas at that. Are we still able to tank endgame? Yes, going back to EC HM tonight. However, as already mentioned, 14 augments and PVP relics helped somewhat offset the nerf for us, while being a pure boost for Jugs and PTs. It doesn't change the fact that the other two tanks do it even better. It also doesn't change the fact that we're the most susceptible tank to bad RNG, due to our low passive mitigation.

You bring up a couple of abilities in EC as if that proves that defense and shields work on everything. BW themselves admitted that they've included far too much force and tech damage in ops which ignores avoidance stats. Yet when they did their "balancing", they did it based on imaginary numbers that they came up with in their lab, ignoring the fact that our primary defenses are completely ignored in many encounters. Kephess is a great example of a boss that loves to use force attacks that do kinetic damage, and he also happens to be the hardest hitting boss currently in game. That's where our mitigation lagging 13% behind the other two tanks (60% vs 47% of dmg taken is a 27.7% higher damage intake) is really showing, and using Jugs and PTs is a clear advantage. Not to mention our self-healing is next to useless in that fight.

I'd be very happy if they just removed our self healing completely and brought our mitigation UP to where Jugs and PTs are. We're barely at 40% in full Campaign, PTs are pushing 54%.

Edited by Okamakiri