Unsubscriber's Thread: Tell us a few things

Sandtrooper

I'm surprised this thread has not been popped and applied given all the people leaving over the events of the last 60 days.

I'm not into long winded good byes, and in fact I said good bye a couple weeks ago. But since I'm logged in today to wrap up and close down my account.....

I'm leaving SWTOR not because of any specific feature, or lack of, or bug.... but rather because the way customers as a whole have been treated since early December is unprofessional and takes advantage of player good will.

This MMO has struggled since launch. It turned around nicely and accelerated on a positive track in 2013. But 2014 has been a complete disappointment. Your performance as a studio in 2013 set the bar for moving forward. 2014 looks very much like you have once again lost the recipe. And frankly the alleged 2015 roadmap does nothing to restore confidence that you actually are capable of keep this MMO out of the ditch.

I've given Bioware many breaks and overlooked things because I know MMO are complex software projects and things happen, and choices need to be made. I actually understand the rationale and complexities they have to grapple with. However, there is only so far you can abuse the good will of your customers before they say enough is enough. For myself, generally very tolerant of issues with MMOs, I'm done.

To those that think things are fine and are happy with the state of the game now, I wish you all the best and hopefully your feelings are not betrayed by events in 2015.

To those that have had enough, and are moving on, how about using this thread as your parting venue rather then spraying the forum with a flurry of individual good bye posts.

Take care everyone.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised this thread has not been popped and applied given all the people leaving over the events of the last 60 days.

I'm not into long winded good byes, and in fact I said good bye a couple weeks ago. But since I'm logged in today to wrap up and close down my account.....

I'm leaving SWTOR not because of any specific feature, or lack of, or bug.... but rather because the way customers as a whole have been treated since early December is unprofessional and takes advantage of player good will.

This MMO has struggled since launch. It turned around nicely and accelerated on a positive track in 2013. But 2014 has been a complete disappointment. Your performance as a studio in 2013 set the bar for moving forward. 2014 looks very much like you have once again lost the recipe. And frankly the alleged 2015 roadmap does nothing to restore confidence that you actually are capable of keep this MMO out of the ditch.

I've given Bioware many breaks and overlooked things because I know MMO are complex software projects and things happen, and choices need to be made. I actually understand the rationale and complexities they have to grapple with. However, there is only so far you can abuse the good will of your customers before they say enough is enough. For myself, generally very tolerant of issues with MMOs, I'm done.

To those that think things are fine and are happy with the state of the game now, I wish you all the best and hopefully your feelings are not betrayed by events in 2015.

To those that have had enough, and are moving on, how about using this thread as your parting venue rather then spraying the forum with a flurry of individual good bye posts.

Take care everyone.

I don't believe it.

You, leaving.. heh, i honestly thought that you, Andryah would be one of last people still here when they turned the lights off as the way you defended the game, time and again, i truly thought you'd be here till the end.

Huh, honestly, this just shows how big of a mess they've made if you of all people are calling it quits and who can blame you or anyone else for that matter that are leaving? I know i'm heading out the door in three days and this time, it actually might be for good but who knows, i still cling to the hope they turn this game around and it'll be worth playing and being a fan of, but that's a small hope, probably finally getting extinguished when i find a new mmo.. well, if i find a new mmo.

But i digress, i'm honestly sad to see you go, but can't fault ya, things are pretty bad here so best of luckto you, i hope you find a new game you can play and enjoy. :)

Primarily, it's poor communication and bad decisions from the team that made me unsub.

Yes, I was annoyed by the slots, but what I couldn't stand was that they've been utterly silent about it. They did the same thing for the ravagers, not even commenting on it for weeks when imo they should have taken the servers down for an emergency hotfix within the first few days.

There are just too many problems that they seem to refuse to comment on. I just can't trust a company that won't communicate with their customers.

There are also too many bugs that seem to go unfixed for months, long time periods with no real content, and stronghold are just lacking for me (we can't even write a description of our stronghold?)

Edited by DarthVitrial

if there is a single event of which could be said "this is the end of swtor," i believe this is it

If a player is angry and does not enjoy the game.. the best thing actually is for them to take a break, cool down, come back later and reasess. Staying with the game in a state of anger is not good for the player and not good for the community in game, or out of game.

I've seen many people post over the last year about taking a break in frustration or anger, and coming back later with a much better appreciation of the game and having fun again. It's healthy. Playing angry is not healthy.

LOL...

I actually keep a list on a notepad next to my comp. Why? So I can go back in a month or two and remind them that they were being deceptive about staying subbed. :)

on the other hand, i kind of assume she'll be back in a month.

I have been subbing on and off since launch. Top reasons why I sub off

1. I am frustrated with the game : whether it is glaring unbalance, bugs, lags or bad community, this game can be frustrating.

2. I am bored with the game : I only PvP and the season can be long and inactive, regs can feel repetitive

3. I don't have enough time to play the game : whether it be school, work or a mixture of both

4. I play other games : this resembles #3

5. I don't have the money to spare : combining 1-4 and the fact that I have to pay a monthly fee, sometimes I can't justify paying

Usually a few months off and I'm back for a month or three.

Edited by lpsmash

2. I am bored with the game : I only PvP and the season can be long and inactive, regs can feel repetitive

I am not criticizing anyone, but honest-to-god, I do not understand why anyone who "only" PVPs would play this MMO, let alone subscribe to it, out of all the MMOs out there (to say nothing of MOBAs).

I am not criticizing anyone, but honest-to-god, I do not understand why anyone who "only" PVPs would play this MMO, let alone subscribe to it, out of all the MMOs out there (to say nothing of MOBAs).

I'm sorry. I only PvP as endgame. I also level up characters. Can't stand doing flashpoints or operations and dailies.

Edited by lpsmash

Five reasons I unsubbed:

1- Lack of PvP content.

2- Story content 2.5 through 3.0 can be summarized with one word: garbage. Seems what is coming is going to be even worse.

3- End game PvE content is boring and anti-climactic.

4- Known bugs take weeks sometimes month to fix.

5- 3.0 ruined class balance in PvP context and most of the dev changes so far can be described by being clueless and/or stupid.

The Community team is the reason why I decided to never continue on with my saga and the lack of information from the developers they just don't communicate and this in it's self is very bad judgement. No content, no pvp nothing it's like watching paint dry and the rinse and repeat attitude doesn't work out in the end.

I have taken extended breaks in the past because:

1. I exhaust the class and planet missions.

2. I got tired of open world ganking (fixed by rolling on a PvE server even though i had to cut the cord from good friends.)

3. Never got into group content beyond normal heroics. (Working on changing this.)

4. Get bored running dailies, and saw no point in doing so because of #3.

5. RL gets in the way.

Just unsubbed last night. Also my wife's account and two more family member's accounts go with me. As for the reasons why...see below. No point in repeating what has already been said.

Primarily, it's poor communication and bad decisions from the team that made me unsub.

Yes, I was annoyed by the slots, but what I couldn't stand was that they've been utterly silent about it. They did the same thing for the ravagers, not even commenting on it for weeks when imo they should have taken the servers down for an emergency hotfix within the first few days.

There are just too many problems that they seem to refuse to comment on. I just can't trust a company that won't communicate with their customers.

There are also too many bugs that seem to go unfixed for months, long time periods with no real content, and stronghold are just lacking for me (we can't even write a description of our stronghold?)

Take care everyone.

I am absolutely floored to read about your departure, Andryah!

To be honest, over the years that you've been posting to these forums, I've always considered you to be a BW Tool -- a mewling, sycophantic, suck-up; and in my mind I labeled you the SW Church Lady.

But to read this departure message of yours -- it appears that I was wrong -- so I owe you an apology:

"Andryah, I, Januaria, apologize for thinking of you as a BW employee plant undermining all criticisms of the game."

I too am on the way out -- 3+ years and I am bored of the game, tired of the loading screens, the poor FPS, the lack of chat bubbles (my biggest peeve), the inability to sit in friggin' chairs in the cantinas, and oh, did I mention the loading screens?

All in all, I'd rate this a "Good" game, maybe 3.75 out of 5, or to use a letter grade, a solid "B," maybe even a B+, but never an A-.

Hard to believe both Andryah and Lord Artemis departing in the same time period -- not a good indication from two of the more (formerly) devoted fans of this title -- SW-TOR: A Fatally Flawed Masterpiece.

Been here since beta, no plans on leaving yet. While I don't agree on how they have handled things lately it's not enough to take me out of the game. To those leaving, thank you for supporting SWTOR and it's community, i hope all you need is a break and maybe you might come back. But if it's farewell,then i wish you fair winds and following seas.

(and of course...May the Force always be with you!)

Been here since 1.2 or so, I'll probably stick around until 3.2 hits but if class balance hasn't been mostly fixed by then or we don't have NiM Ops I will probably take a break.

I love the new Operations (besides the melee unfriendliness and bugs) and think the team overall did a great job with them.

But the Ravagers exploit disappointed me a lot, if this was Blizzard it would of been emergency patched before new years. The lack of PvP content is a little sad but not a huge deal breaker for me. The lack of class balance upsets me a huge amount though, it's probably in the worst spot right now that we have seen it in for a long time and with limited changes in 3.1 it seems like the team just took 8 weeks vacation after 3.0 dropped. The lack of communication on this issue has also made things much worse.

Annihilation being unfun is a little sad to, I usually play heals or tank though so it's not a deal breaker but Annihilation was really the only DPS spec I liked. This has been discussed in depth by the community to and several ways to fix it have been put forth, we got only silence and no changes in 3.1.1.

The roadmap and the lack of real cross server, performance issues (made greatly worse by 3.0) and the unwillingness from Bioware to commit the resources to these issues greatly disappoints me to and makes it seem like Bioware refuses to invest the money and time required for large projects like these and it's just deflating.

Edited by MorgenBlue

unsubbed and on my last few days.

it's clear to me that bioware really doesn't care about tor. if they did they would be telling us much more about what's going on with the game. they don't even do it at person at the community cantina's, the only thing we ever hear is "it will be cool and you will like it."

well so far I don't like it, there's no class balance at all and bioware just ignores classes that do need something done, snipers and gunslingers come to mind. bioware ignores us every day, they won't fix things they broke like the slot machine, the game lags and barely works as is. gsf is dead for the most part with no updates or work being done on it. strongholds we're getting one new stronghold yay... they push back new races all the time. shadows of revan had one of the most lame storylines i have ever seen. oh but they threw one class quest in, yay...

more so it's clear that this game is on maintenance mode. there's a huge lack of updates to the game and the ones we get are some of the smallest i have ever seen. really the only thing it looks like bioware wants to work on is the cartel market and even then all of the items are just reskins.

i came back due to friends telling me how great the game is and now? i will never support or buy anything by ea or bioware ever again. i'm voting with my wallet and i hope disney see's i want something else not tor.

more so it's clear that this game is on maintenance mode. there's a huge lack of updates to the game and the ones we get are some of the smallest i have ever seen. really the only thing it looks like bioware wants to work on is the cartel market and even then all of the items are just reskins.

I said this when GSH launched, and a lot of people laughed at me at the time...

A few are still laughing, but not nearly as many...

GSH is a small shell of what housing should be, the bare minimum of what you could release and call it "housing".

Proper housing wouldn't be instanced, you could move the walls, every stronghold wouldn't look like everyone else's, and you wouldn't have hooks. You'd be able to buy more than one on a planet, you'd have different sizes and the options are endless from there.

Look back nearly 20 years ago now, Ultima Online had better housing... it is clearly possible, and it doesn't even require modern super duper computers...

Bioware just doesn't care...

Take care everyone.

I'll bet 1million credits this person returns before SWTOR2 is released. And I'll bet another 1million credits that there will be a SWTOR2

Edited by Projawa

I'll bet 1million credits this person returns before SWTOR2 is released. And I'll bet another 1million credits that there will be a SWTOR2

I'll not take you up on the first bet, although I'd hope that Andryah returns some day, but I'll take your second bet and raise you another 10mil. If there will be another SW MMO years from now, it's much more likely that it'll play in the era of the new movies and it definitely won't be called SWTOR2.;)

If you are one of the people who played for a time, then decided to quit, please answer the following questions:

What are your top 5 reasons why you left the game? Why do you stick around?

1.) Themepark MMO. This is a major negative element that I will weigh the good elements against. Should the good elements diminish, I will automatically leave because themepark. In a sandbox MMO (Eve online) I stuck around subscribing for 5+ years even when they were next to no new 'content' added, because in a sandbox MMO players actually interact with each other and make it interesting for one another.

2.) Changing from separate class stories into one generic story in the endgame. Major bad move and contradictory to the original promises.

3.) Abandonment of development of various aspects of the game such as crafting, and flat-out negating the usefulness of crafting with vendor stuff and cartel stuff. In a perfect world, there would be no npc vendors and all endgame gear would be crafted for materials available from endgame instances, which would make people interact with each other more (raiders to crafters)

4.) Change of game mechanics for the worse(simplify) with discipline system.

5.) Nerfing my main character (marauder) and removal of abilities. Blatantly enforcing imbalance between classes (melee vs ranged for example).

6.) Completely illogical and absurd inclusion of Revan, a character I hate with a passion. Being force-fed an idiotic story.

Edited by Karkais

1. The maps are too small. It seems like they are making smaller maps/planets every time there is an update. They get boring and bland really fast.

2. Lack of immersion. Again, getting bored rather quickly because the game is one of two things - Fighting, fighting and more fighting - and decorating.

3. Might be a bit too far fetched. But the story doesn't really "grip" me. Imo it's all over the place. Star Wars for me is Rebels against Oppressors.

4. PvP. WZs and random ganking gets tedious. I realize it cannot be done, but BW had a good idea with Ilum at launch (though it needed some fundamental changes). Wish they didn't have to scrap it.

5. Travelling. It feels like you are just zoned in to different scenarios every time you travel somewhere. They should really expand the whole spaceship experience so that you can actually travel between planets/Orbital Stations.

6. Solo mode Flashpoints issue. Why did they decide that a droid was a good way to help you with the FPs you need to do? How much cooler wouldn't it be if a high ranking Jedi/Sith felt like they needed to help you with a dire conflict?

There aren't five reasons. Really, there's only one: I'm bored and I don't care about the game anymore. :o

The game's kind of like a sneaky Sisyphean venture. You start out and the hill's really pretty. You don't feel much of a burden at the speck that's under your feet as you explore. The hill has eight different paths, and they all look really nice. You pick one, or a few. You try them out. The speck rolls along, and becomes a tiny pebble. You kick it up the hill until the terrain changes. The pebble becomes a little tennis ball you bounce ahead of you. Trees spring up around you, and your tennis ball becomes a basketball. Then a beachball. The terrain and paths narrow. Where once you had a universe, the hill seemed infinitely wide, infinitely high. Now you're reaching the peak, and the trees have cleared. The basketball has become a huge, heavy boulder, and if you let go for just a moment, it'll smash you to bits. You see the other paths around you again suddenly. The peak is far narrower, and the trails converge, first into two, then one.

You try to brace the boulder, but you know where it and you are going to end up because it's too heavy. You struggle because you have to through the increasingly narrower, pirate-infested path, only to end up facing the inevitable absurdity. This week, like every week, you end up flat on your back, smashed by the boulder, until, finally, it claims, "It cannot be!" and you return to the mission terminal. Your fellow allies line up for the next go-round, and you steel yourself for the base of the path all over again.

You can do it for a while, but you remember the boulder and how it flattened you. It narrows the paths over and over again. You soon sit at the base, and where once you had a universe, you now see an endless trudge toward absurdity.

I did it four times, the last time swearing it would be my last, and my last 60 as the founder of a new legacy on a new server. That would be my runner of all dailies so I'd never have to do it again for any of my alts.

The problem came when I tried to level my new scoundrel on said server, I made it as far as Nar Shaddaa before the boulder transformed into a giant wrecking ball of "Meh." I'd been wanting to solo the Czerka flashpoints, and finally had a geared enough 60 to do it. I started, and the MEH ended it for me before I'd even finished the second boss.

Liquidated my stuff on two of my 60s on my first server and passed on my holdings on the other to an heir. I had the most fun I'd had in a long time handing out credits and cheap speeders for low-level players on Ord Mantell and Tython. They seemed like they were having a lot more fun with my gifts than I'd had earning them in the first place. I thought about liquidating my third 60 on that server, but the MEH even took me over there.

Shadow of Revan is the biggest source of the MEH and I really regret buying it. I'd have probably lasted another several months if I hadn't.

I uninstalled and felt the hugest sense of relief, even though I still have ten days left on my sub.

Edited by JainiaDral

This is sooo funny. I unsubbed probably 9months back and decided to sub short term again. I posted a short good bi and thank you topic which was removed fro some reason. Here we are with this thread which is just a general question asked by someone. Just interesting.

Anyway i love the game but paying 13/14/19 per month is too expensive for me to maintain, also i have a life and other games to play.

I have to say I'm enjoying the game and I have no axe to grind. Yes, there are some things that could be improved but there are many, many good things.

I see so many threads with posters claiming that they have unsubbed. Some even seemed to have unsubbed weeks or months ago. I'm always curious why they stick around.

If you are one of the people who played for a time, then decided to quit, please answer the following questions:

What are your top 5 reasons why you left the game? Why do you stick around?

Maybe we can get some good feedback by putting this all in one place and maybe we can clean up other threads by putting this all in one place.

Sand

What I like the most about SWTOR is the story missions. What I hate is the grind between them. I've found ways to mitigate this issue exp potions, rest exp, tacticals... But by level 30 I'm usually done. I got a couple 50's, and a ton of lv 20-30's, and every time I get tired of the grind I start a new character or unsub for 6+ months, and then try again.

I've played enough MMO's to realize the gear treadmill is the same, and gets outdated at each expansion, so I have no "desire" to get to max level.

I enjoy the low level pvp, and flashpoints but I don't want to grind them out just so I can enjoy the story missions.