Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Regarding server queues

StephenReid

I got in the second day of early access but was not able to play until 9PM EST and picked a server with low population. I then let all my friends know the server name so they could join me. Now a few days after my server has a que and we are all on it having leveled for a few days. Yes there are low population servers but I really don't feel like starting over again with a new character. I only get to play about 4 hours a night and don't feel like queing for most of that time. If it gets that bad I will have to suck it up and start over again.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that existing players on a server should get priority. It really sucks that you log in, see that your server is full and that there is a wait time, when you have already spent maybe 40 hours over the last 5 days playing there and having fun.

Some might find it acceptable to spend several hours in a queue, but honestly when you get home at 6 and has to be in bed by 10 to 11, then spending 3 hours in queue is definitely a waste of time and money. :(

Jeff, saying 10 minute wait time, and it's going on 45 mins is NOT Manageable or Reasonable.

1. I can't properly manage a time that is constantly increasing or giving inaccurate information.

2. It's unreasonable for a player to wait 45 minutes to play a game.

3. I am gone if this continues past the 30 day free trial period. No reason to be paying for a game if your going to be sitting in a lobby for 45 minutes. Sometimes all I have is a hour to play in a day.

Funny.. in what you quote, now I'm not a native speaking/reading/writing person. But in nothing you've quotes does 10 minutes configure...

YAWN!

Well, ppl playing for e week, i can understand why they are frustrated, Bioware should offer free transers to eleminate the ques at this time, as many can just go to the servers launched on launch day, then the problem wouldn't be that big of a deal imo :)

15:39 CET

Server: ToFN

Estimated Wait < 1h35m

Position in Queue: 1442

Do you really think I will be in after 1h35m? I bet for 3 hours

16:39

Position in Queue 922

So... about 500 positions during afternoon. Let's see how much time does it take

Jeff, saying 10 minute wait time, and it's going on 45 mins is NOT Manageable or Reasonable.

1. I can't properly manage a time that is constantly increasing or giving inaccurate information.

2. It's unreasonable for a player to wait 45 minutes to play a game.

3. I am gone if this continues past the 30 day free trial period. No reason to be paying for a game if your going to be sitting in a lobby for 45 minutes. Sometimes all I have is a hour to play in a day.

Just give a free transfer service, so all people (member of a guild or not) can decide to move their characters in another light server.

Just give a choice and the chance to not lose what we did during the early game access.

Really all I see is that:

In the early game access stages we have been told "Yeah, we are going to invite you in waves, because we want to fill the servers slowly and steadily, we want to have a smooth launch etc." Sounds reasonable.

And now I have to wonder, why was the server number limited then? A 30 min queue every time I play, I call not smooth.

Ah, don't worry they are looking into it and it will all be fixxed on release day..opps. I will not reroll thats fail. BIOWARE should have been able to release the game with out 4 hour queues and a buggy game. WOW, EQ2 and LOTRO all had better releases and were years ago. Ill be that guy...Long live WOW!

I got in the second day of early access but was not able to play until 9PM EST and picked a server with low population. I then let all my friends know the server name so they could join me. Now a few days after my server has a que and we are all on it having leveled for a few days. Yes there are low population servers but I really don't feel like starting over again with a new character. I only get to play about 4 hours a night and don't feel like queing for most of that time. If it gets that bad I will have to suck it up and start over again.

THIS. If it was just me. I would reroll, but there are just too many friends and guildmates deep on this server now. I feel your pain. As GM, praying for some sort of free entire guild migration option very very soon.

Game launched 10 hours ago. I've tried to login 8 hours ago, 2h post launch. All old servers were full/very heavy. All new servers were light.

24h earlier, all avaible servers were light.

- Conclusion: Same amount of pre-launch players been playing today and yesterday, since there was absolutely no change for them. Still weekday.

So light -> full loads came in 2 hours after launch. And interestingly enought, only on old servers?

No, there aren't more players playing on old servers, it's just that population limits have been decreased instead of increasing them. Way to force new people to play on new servers. Also, way to force all people to play on new servers, or don't play at all.

This an interesting analysis, and I agree with it. This is FRICKING RIDICULOUS!!!

Funny.. in what you quote, now I'm not a native speaking/reading/writing person. But in nothing you've quotes does 10 minutes configure...

YAWN!

Spoken like a true person who hasn't played the game.

My que says 10 minutes, however its really been 45 minutes.

To me, waiting 10 minutes is acceptable. 45 MINUTES IS NOT.

I'm not one to complain usually, a MMO is always a work in progress and I trust Bioware to do an incredible job.

But right now, all the east coast servers are marked LIGHT, except one, FULL (Shii-Cho). And it's mine. And it's quite early in the day yet.

So yes, allowing some people to transfer would be awesome, thank you.

Edited by Jarodd

Well right now it is neccesary... Simply opening new servers doesnt work i have no intention in starting over on a new server and why should i. I really really hope they know what theyre doing otherwise a lot of people are going to be very disappointed. Me included.

Agreed, BW should have fixed this after the testing weekend when we were sitting in queues for hours just to play. Adding new servers does not help the people that have already established themselves and put a considerable amount of game time in or were forced in because of how the guilds were ported over. This is making me think twice of buying any subscription until I know this is resolved. Paying money to sit in a queue is not what I had in mind.

I'm so so so sick of hearing this "Bioware Placed my guild" argument. If you don't like it move. They tried to make it convient for you, given that yesterday all the servers were full it wouldn't have been any different. Bioware isn't forcing you to stay on that server so if you don't want to deal with the queue times talk to your guild master and move the guild.

Why should they? Why should they move to a Server that tommorow might have a Waiting queue of some hours?

To move closed to the next one and so on and so on? They have already created Toons and leveld and played them. And even the best tutorial s going to kill you if you do it for the 5th time.

Just give a free transfer service, so all people (member of a guild or not) can decide to move their characters in another light server.

Just give a choice and the chance to not lose what we did during the early game access.

A free transfer service would be perfect. I'll gladly transfer all of my characters to a light server.

I will not however wait in line for an hour, especially given that when you get disconnected from the game you have to wait in line ALL OVER AGAIN!

This is going to turn into a disaster if Bioware don't get their heads out of their asses. It's time to stop allowing people to roll on the overloaded servers because having to wait 20 minutes to get online at 10 a.m. is entirely unacceptable and if it's 20 minutes now, it will be 2 hours or more tonight.

Having umpteen servers is utterly useless when you are still allowing people to roll on the overcrowded ones.

Further, because everyone is rolling on an already overloaded server, everyone is referring their friends etc to the same overloaded server, hence the reason we've got 50 empty servers and 10 inaccessible ones.

Edited by Syxi

all i take from your posts is that:

1. you have no friends or guild

2. you did not pay extra $$ for early access

3. you're very angry

Telling people to "suck it up" and "reroll if you don't like it" after they've put 3-4 days into their characters is pretty selfish.

In addition, my point #1 HAS to be true because if you have had any social interaction at all, you'd realize what a horrible problem/pain it is to move guilds to a new server, even if they're small, let alone large 300+ member guilds.

1.) I have friends but they're not playing SWTOR right now

2.) I didn't pay extra $$ for early access but no one else did either. I did pre-order and have been playing since the 13th though.

3.) Not angry at all.

I don't see how telling people to ****** up and reroll is selfish. I'm trying to help them out. If they want to sit and stare at a queue that's their fault.

Don't presume that you know me. Being in a 300 person guild does not mean that you have a load of friends, it means you're a person in a sea of people. I have a Guild in WoW some of whom are going to come join me in a few months. We're not a large guild, only about 15 people but we're very close. I know everyone on a personal level, I highly doubt you have that with your 300+ member guild.

All that aside I can understand that moving a 300+ member guild could be difficult but moving smaller guilds wouldn't be. My point still stands though that if Bioware hadn't placed you on these servers you still would have had issues so blaming them for it makes 0 sense.