Regarding server queues

StephenReid

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they really underestimated the amount of people that would play their game.

What I imagine they are worried about is that if they create too many servers then they will be too sparsely populated, if they put too much machine behind the servers then when it comes to the inevitable drop off after the initial hype wears off then they will be stuck with machines they need to get rid of.

I really don't mind waiting for anything up to 30 minutes. After that an episode of random tv show won't fill the gap.

I may need to start remote desktoping home from work an hour before I go home.

I agree, it's launch day now and I would fully accept a roughly 30 minute wait, 45 minutes during prime time even with hopes that it would correct itself in time.

But 4-5 hours with the knowledge that any internet connection issues mean game over for the day is another matter completely.

Increasing the population caps is a start, that's good to hear, but they absolutely need a longer grace period regarding disconnects and/or crashes. Our internet has dipped three times in the past 6 days that I've been playing. I get sent right to the back of the queue within 30 seconds, meanwhile my wife experienced a brief hiccup in performance but carried right on with Akylios in Rift.

I thought this technology was standard now, much much smaller companies have managed to execute it flawlessly.

Still I have to wonder, what kind of company creates a game without the infrastructure to facilitate basic server transfers, as they must have realised from the day one that somewhere down the line that utility would be required. And now would be a good time to help even out the populations.

Edited by Valkaern

After the offical launch today, my server has a que as well.

This really obstruct my way of playing. I usually play for an hour or so, then come back later and start playing again. Having to wait 30 minutes every time i want to do a quick mission or 3, just doesn't work. Please fix this, so that you're servers can handle more players at the same time. This would really be a deal breaker to me.

There's like 12 new light populated servers atm.

Its just the server cap who's really low right now.

Not even 3k people on a server, where the cap should be around 8k/10k.

I have a feeling that they will raise the caps after the initial rush of players to the game. They keep the caps low, so people don't go to the full servers and start on the new low-servers.

That would mean that before new year, they would raise the caps.

But who knows!

Honsou_UK Totally feel for you man, I've already left tomb of freedon nadd, the server with all my guild mates and other friends, as I couldn't take the 4 hour queue. disconnect. 4 hour queue stuff any more. I moved to a new server with a light population and it has been fine. Log in this morning at 8:00am est wait 5 minutes. No problem 5 minutes is nothing, I'll just get a drink and have a smoke ace. 15 minutes later still in queue... which is fine I could live with a 15 minute queue but I'm rather worried about what happens when I get home from work at 5:00pm. I understand that most of us have experienced worse on other game launches however. I still don't consider a queue for a pay to play game longer than about 10 minutes to be acceptable. If the server queue gets above 2 hours etc like it probably will biowares response will be move to another server. So I've already left my guild mates and friends to join another server not what I really wanted to do as my guild has been together for a few games etc now and reroll on another server. i don't see how thats an appropriate response

These last days at prime time, it's been roughly 10 minutes waiting each 100 person in queue, but this morning it's been almost 45 minutes waiting for a queue of 86. It's extremely different from previous days and seems like a syndrome of something ill. Luckily I have plenty of time though =)

Moving off a server isnt the issue guys, dont keep asking for that.

Focus on them upping the population caps of each server instead, lessening the queues as a result.

The queue's are awful as the servers are seemingly intentionally being kept at a low population cap. (See the fact that in beta you could see 400 people in cities, in live, under 200... and so on etc)

Edited by Mangala

Not happy with queue bioware put us in this server as a guild and we are met with massive queues ..Not a happy bunny .. Bad customer satisfaction. Queues at this time morning omg what they be like tonight 4 !!! 5 hours .Should be a system where least you get in as a guild since u put us into that specific server

I wish to now receive one of these BW survey:

1. Will you subscribe on the 20th of December ?

2. Month later ?

3. Never and delete this .... because of queues ? X

How happy are you with customer service?

1. Very happy, I like to be ignored like a ....

2. I wish to kill someone from BW/EA, that is how happy I am

3. I would advise you to employ educated ppl next time X

How would you rate our product/service ?

Product 7/10

Service 0/10

Very disappointed because I have just wasted 7 days of my life. I am going to re-roll on an empty server because frankly speaking Bioware/EA were not smart enough to see this coming. I made several posts on the topic pre form wipe and nobody cared.

Even the server imbalance is an issue and is getting worse every day. Things you could have tried:

- spreading guilds more evenly over large number or servers

- faction specific queues to encourage more balance

- character creation queues for some servers

- staggered pop cap increases

- etc

I thought of these in 5 mins. Bioware/EA do you job and come up with some solutions that work! Everything has a solution, you just need to dedicate some resource and smart people into finding it!

This is ridiculous. It's 11am (GMT +2) on a freaking Tuesday and I'm stuck in a 1 hour queue? It's not even prime time! I love this game, but if something is a deal breaker for me it's being stuck in a queue. NOTHING is more infuriating. Hell, I don't even go to amusement parks because of the queues, now I have to wait in a queue for a game that I pay 15$ a month for? That's enough to constitute a ragequit for me. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - stop copying WoW. Guild Wars carries over 4 million accounts on one server (AND it NEVER has any downtime for maintenance) - why would a company that is much larger than NCSoft/Arenanet not be able to incorporate the same? While I love the work BioWare has done with the game, I find the player-server incorporation into the game appalling.

All in all, I'm still considering whether or not to just abandon the game or to stick with it.

INB4BIOWAREOFFERSANOQUEUECODEFOR100000$

I guess that the speculations and the rage would be far less if EA or Bioware would give a proper statement if this is intended and if its going to change.

I think the Problem most of us here have is not the waiting time itself. If it is intended for the first days/weeks i guess everyone can deal with it.

But the Problem is, so far as i can understand it, is that bioware just said they are aware that it could cost inconvinience and that they do their best to look into it.

That is a statement that says nothing for me.

I mean something like "We know many of you have an Issue with the Server Waiting Queue, but trust us, its intended it will be reduced once we have the most Players on and on their Server" or something like that and everyone would know whats up.

So everyone speculates if the Server have that low Capacity, if it is intended, if it is a Flaw in the System etc.

A clear and valid statement i guess would put most of the complaints out of the way.

But the fact is, the sheer number of people who complain about the long waiting time is the worst publicity Bioware or EA could ever wish for, because not knowing if those Lines are intended or not many players will rather choose not to buy the game or subscribe if they have to wait such long times.

Its not that i would not like this game. In fact i like it very much, else i would not have pre -ordered the Collectors Edition. An because i love this game i naturlly think if the bad publicity is already enough to kill it right from the start.

This game has cost an enormous ammount of money which must be earned to Game Sales and Subscriptions, if they cannot get enough money in to cover the production costs and to keep the game profitable it will be over very soon.

And that would be sad.

The problem isnt on the end of BW, its the new folk that doesnt go to the servers which are made for them.

They do queue at the full ones instead of the new light ones. Blame then but not BW, they did what they could :(

If that is so, we did BW not simply close already full servers for character Creation?

The problem isnt on the end of BW, its the new folk that doesnt go to the servers which are made for them.

They do queue at the full ones instead of the new light ones. Blame then but not BW, they did what they could :(

No the blame lays firmly on BW/EA's part. It doesn't take much smarts to understand casual buyer's mmo habits especially when it comes to server choice. BW/EA have had a good 5 days now to sort the queues out yet still our cries for help fall on deaf ears. We get the standard "we're monitoring the situation" crap and expected to happily play the game. When you have queues of 3+ hours by the middle of the day, please tell me, what on Earth are monitoring on those realms?

7:15AM (GMT) - Join queue for Frostclaw (EU).

Est. wait time: 15mins

8:00AM (GMT) - Leave queue as I have to go to work.

Just bet a bottle of JD with a mate at work that the queue's going to be longer than 4 hours when I get home tonight = no play on launch day.

I got early access on like the 14th and created my toon on a pve server with a bonky name, just so I could avoid ques like this. But after they brought more waves of people in, the original servers started filling up, and they released new ones. Now they have 20min-5hour waiting time to get in, which is stupid...

Like stated a zillion times already in the now soon to be two [!] maxed out threads, paying a fee for waiting to play is totally NOT acceptable. At this point I feel like I should just cancel my sub and try again in like February and hope it's been resolved by then, which is a shame because it''s a great game that I really enjoy...

I am playing MMOs for over 15 years now. Never seen such a bad server maintenance like this one.

I never ever was needed to stand in any lines to get into the game, that I am paying for. I never was punished to get into a 2hrs+ line AGAIN when had a BUG crash, or a DC (no fault on my side again).

There was always at least a certain period of time when I could try to log back, since it wasnt my fault. Here??? Nothing, just the queues again for a few hours.

9AM in the morning and 45 min. waiting approx to log in?????????

I have to admit, I love this game, it is just great (except few minor bugs, which any MMOS had and will have upon release), BUT I will reconsider my subscription if the server queues arent going to be fixed in next month.

After waiting over 3 years for this game to come out, now EA fails having sufficent servers, now thats a SHAME!

(No, dont say its the release day, that is why there are queues in the morning. That is just BS)

1. Maybe they wanted to join their friend (like the first server I joined in early access). Normally in an mmo no issue as you join at the same time, but early access unintentionally means you join full servers (my friend and I already re-rolled from a server because of this)

2. Maybe they saw the server and it said "light", because thats what they say when players are not logged in. It doesn't say "server full just no-one on right now"

3. BW should be able to lock servers from new people joining. Maybe they can raise server caps so it's ok - then raise them already.

I had to lose my main character and start it again in other server, just for play instead of wait..., and now in the launch day this new server is full too!! WT...?? Can't you close the server and push new people to an empty server? I don't want to start the game again and again... You also can offer the possibility to transfer the characters form one server to other, for FREE until this situation gets better.