1.3: Nerf -6% all melee damage for Guardians pvp tanks... why?

TonyDragonflame

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=463539

Guardian

Vigilance

Single Saber Mastery now applies different effects based on your current Form. Shii-Cho Form now increases all Force damage dealt by 2% per point. Shien Form now increases all melee damage dealt by 2% per point. Soresu Form now increases melee and ranged defense by 1% per point and increases the threat generated by Force Sweep and Cyclone Slash by 10% per point.

^ This.

Was +6% damage by 3 points for all forms. Tier 1 Vigilance tree.

Defense

Blade Barricade: Riposte now increases melee and ranged defense by 1% per point and lasts 12 seconds.

^ and this. Before 1.3 it was 2% for each point. Tier 3 Defence tree.

So, for pure PVP tanks under Soresu, and for Soresu/Vigilance hybrids (like my 16/25/0) with these changes we still have our +6% defence with Riposte, but we loss +6% damage from Tier 1 Vigilance tree. Its -6% nerf to all melee damage.

Why, Bioware? Why? Our crappy low damage now will be laughable crap in PVP. Oh, wait, all that changes with increasing threat generation probably pretty good for PVE, but for PVP Guardian tanks -6% of all melee damage looks strong nerf.

Bioware, why you so hate classic looks single-lightsaber jedi knights? :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this change.

There are a ton of Juggs on my server who run full rage spec but stay in soresu form all the time, to get the 50% + damage reduction. These guys can still drop 6k smashes, while keeping tank survivability.

Just as the Carolina parakeet was nerfed, and the darkness madness hybrid, I believe that you shouldnt be able so so easily get tank damage reduction while in a dps build.

Just my 2 cents/

There are a ton of Juggs on my server who run full rage spec but stay in soresu form all the time, to get the 50% + damage reduction. These guys can still drop 6k smashes, while keeping tank survivability.

Just as the Carolina parakeet was nerfed, and the darkness madness hybrid, I believe that you shouldnt be able so so easily get tank damage reduction while in a dps build.

Just my 2 cents/

Soon you will see no one guardian, who will save your healer alive under guard...

Its not just guardians and jugs they took the nerf bat to all the tank classes. Seems if you want to pvp dont roll a tank class is the message.

Its funny in a way Bioware made defense stats worthless so players moved away from the tank portion of pvp and adjusted by wearing dps gear to somewhat make up for this oversight. This allowed for guards and still being useful in the dps area not Op but useful. Now with patches like this you can see bioware trying to force players back into the role of true tanks by nerfing the damge portion of the new playstyle.

Sad part is they have still failed to fix the stats that make a tank a tank in pvp. All this patch will do is force the guys who played dps/tanks to go full dps tree with no guard or just give up the class and go to a DPS class like Mara/Sent for the combined dps/defensive CD's.

Sad part is they have still failed to fix the stats that make a tank a tank in pvp. All this patch will do is force the guys who played dps/tanks to go full dps tree with no guard or just give up the class and go to a DPS class like Mara/Sent for the combined dps/defensive CD's.

^This. If you want us to tank, let us tank by having our defences applicable against more than 30% of all attacks used in PvP. For Chrissakes, pure DPS classes like snipers/maras get amazing defensive CD's, and we're getting torn apart by Force/Tech attacks.

There are a ton of Juggs on my server who run full rage spec but stay in soresu form all the time, to get the 50% + damage reduction.

Just my 2 cents/

What 50% damage reduction?

Care to get informed before throwing cents around?

Edited by Sekish

You actually get no benefit towards your smashes from SSM at the moment. It only affects obliterate, vicious slash, sundering assault and assault. The change is actually a net buff for soresu rage, though losing out on 6% force damage kind of blows for them if they're not using shii-cho.

EDIT:

The change is strictly a nerf to thee specs that Juggernauts use at the moment, Straight up immortal/immortal dps and vengeance/immortal hybrids that swap between vengeance and soresu. The latter is effectively dead with the change since they'll be down 12% damage instead of 6% while in soresu (which was needed considering good players could mantain nearly all their DPS while acting in a tank role) while the former lost significantly more with the nerfs to Crushing Blow's primary damage hit.

Edited by Dracosz

I don't think I've ever been guarded by a sweep guardian.

They definitely need to change shield so it can proc against any damage type though, as well as have armor effect all attack types

Edited by BacklashEH

They definitely need to change shield so it can proc against any damage type though, as well as have armor effect all attack types

Then they're idiots and need to reroll marauders, sadly. Shii-Cho Variants of rage are godawful in this patch unless you regularly play against undergeared players that scream like little girls when you charge at them. Soresu rage does similar levels of damage while maintaining high protection and survivability as well as very strong rage-efficiency, something that shii-cho variants of rage sorely lack.

What 50% damage reduction?

Care to get informed before throwing cents around?

If you are in Soresu your damage mitigation from armour will be 50-55%. If you are in a different form it will be about 30-35%. So, it's both a 50% damage reduction and also a 50% increase in damage reduction...

With regards to the actual topic, I have no idea why they are reducing pure-tank damage even further. Guardians tanking in Defense, rather than Vigilance, are already a huge liability to the team compared to alternative 'tank' options.

Yes. It is a fair change and will bring Jug dps into line with what you would expect for a tank in PvP.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just my 2 cents/

This entire quote doesn't make any sense. You have no idea what you're talking about.

My buddy plays a Vig guardian, he has 53% damage reduction from armor.

That reminds me, why the heck does the DPS spec get 4% damage reduction to all types, and the Tank spec only get it towards internal and elemental? Also, the 15% damage reduction with Enraged Defense up is in the DPS spec, I don't mind that it's their but switch the 2 damage reducers around and put a talent in the Tanking tree that reduces damage by 5-10%, when Enraged defense is active

(PvE note, don't make Enraged Defense kill threat)

^This. If you want us to tank, let us tank by having our defences applicable against more than 30% of all attacks used in PvP. For Chrissakes, pure DPS classes like snipers/maras get amazing defensive CD's, and we're getting torn apart by Force/Tech attacks.

Force attacks are energy attacks which get mitigated by armor.

This entire quote doesn't make any sense. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe you should learn to read? I think its pretty clear.

Here let me break it down for you in terms you will understand.

DPS speced Juggs use soresu form as a crutch, just like sins currenty do, and PTs used to.

Im all for Bioware taking that crutch away.

Yes but his shields and defense stats do not effect it. And see thats the point everyone has armor and the diffrence between heavy or light armor is so small that it really does not matter. Hence we get tanks in DPS gear.

Why, Bioware? Why? Our crappy low damage now will be laughable crap in PVP. Oh, wait, all that changes with increasing threat generation probably pretty good for PVE, but for PVP Guardian tanks -6% of all melee damage looks strong nerf.

Bioware, why you so hate classic looks single-lightsaber jedi knights? :(

The honest answer? because people like me were able to run DPS specs, in tanks stance and hit 53% damage reduction due to armour, while keeping that 6% boost, never having focus issues and smacking people for 5k crits with impunity while in tank stance.

Its a sad nerf if you are tank spec and run in tank stance, but the only other way to fix this issue would be to move tank stance higher up the tank tree, which would destroy low levels progression.

Edited by AKfourtyseven

Yes but his shields and defense stats do not effect it. And see thats the point everyone has armor and the diffrence between heavy or light armor is so small that it really does not matter. Hence we get tanks in DPS gear.

In soresu form you get 50 - 55% passive mitigation.

That's 30% more than medium armor.

30% is not a small difference.

wat

/5char

Not solely CD's, but marksmen get 'siege bunker' to reduce AOE damage by 60%, and engineers can talent to both significantly boost their shield probe's power and reduce its CD instantly upon activation of EMP discharge, as well as talenting a flat damage reduction when in cover and reducing the CD of ballistic shields (an amazing AOE defensive CD).

Maybe you should learn to read? I think its pretty clear.

Here let me break it down for you in terms you will understand.

DPS speced Juggs use soresu form as a crutch, just like sins currenty do, and PTs used to.

Im all for Bioware taking that crutch away.

No one started a tank at first to be a DPS class most wanted to tank in pvp and pve. But the reality is the stats dont work. Blame the player if that makes you feel better call it a crutch but what you are seeing in these specs is a result of the reality of the current game play. That goes for all tanks not just guardians or jugs.

Force, tech, ranged, and melee are attack types, only ranged and melee can be shielded or defended against

Kinetic, energy, internal, and elemental are damage types, only kinetic and energy are mitigated by armor.

For example, some sage abilities are force attack types that do kinetic damage - these cannot be shielded or defended, but they are mitigated by armor.

So 50% damage reduction from armor only applies to two of the four damage types in the game, energy and kinetic.

In soresu form you get 50 - 55% passive mitigation.

That's 30% more than medium armor.

30% is not a small difference.

True. The real issue is something the devs still have yet to tackle. DPS stance heavy armour only puts you at 35% reduction, while a medium armour knight is only going to be what, 5% behind you?

Im all for differentiating the stances but the raw reduction between DPS heavy and the medium AC needs to be wider.

All that being said, this change does not help the fact that the heavy tank Jedi/Sith still has the lowest damage output.

Edited by AKfourtyseven

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.