W-A-S-D to move,and trying to use a shift+anykey at the same time

nerfAvari

I don't remember this being a problem in WoW, and I tried searching around here and don't see any threads on it

When I am fighting someone and moving I use wasd keys and the mouse to move, so for instance, say I am holding down right click and the A key (strafing left) and I try to use a shift key + 4 to use a finisher, it won't work unless i drop the A key.

Is it just me on this issue or does anyone else notice this too? its a semi small issue but not always being able to use the ability when i hit the keybinds for it gets frustrating over time

Edited by nerfAvari

I've never noticed this issue. That said, if I'm doing something like shift + 1, then chances are, I have momentarily taken over moving with my mouse during that very short interval, so I can't say definitively whether or not the issue exists.

/shrug

I don't remember this being a problem in WoW, and I tried searching around here and don't see any threads on it

When I am fighting someone and moving I use wasd keys and the mouse to move, so for instance, say I am holding down right click and the A key (strafing left) and I try to use a shift key + 4 to use a finisher, it won't work unless i drop the A key.

Is it just me on this issue or does anyone else notice this too? its a semi small issue but not always being able to use the ability when i hit the keybinds for it gets frustrating over time

Best bet would be moving your finisher to another key.

It's probably that your keyboard doesnt support that particular number of simultaneous keypresses. Most do not support more than 3 or 4 tops, and it can vary depending on the keys pressed.

Try a different keyboard, and/or get a gaming keyboard that explicitly supports a lot simulatenous keypresses.

what you describe does not happen to me. and i use shift plus mouse click 5 or 6 to root someone in pvp(while holding the right click button down and strafing at the same time.

what does happen though is that I'm unable to press A and W and then try to shift mouse click 5 for the root ability. then i come across this issue

btw, im using one of those slim apple keyboards

Edited by FourTwent

Gt urself a gaming mouse like the naga razor.... I never realised how much work i was doing before i got one. Gameplay is 10 times smoother and more efficient. Numpad at ur thumbs is amazing.

It's probably that your keyboard doesnt support that particular number of simultaneous keypresses. Most do not support more than 3 or 4 tops, and it can vary depending on the keys pressed.

Try a different keyboard, and/or get a gaming keyboard that explicitly supports a lot simulatenous keypresses.

This. Most keyboards won't accept inputs of certain combinations of keys that they think nobody will ever have any reason to use. A gaming keyboard is the best solution to the problem.

a) you don't need a gaming mouse (and if you do, no naga, a gaming mouse with 2-4 thumb bottons is more than enough)

b) say good-bye to keyboard turning and do mouse-turning (your life will improve immensely after some getting used to)

thanks all for the replies

b) say good-bye to keyboard turning and do mouse-turning (your life will improve immensely after some getting used to)

trying to imagine mouse only turning would seem like a nightmare (i play all melee toons) correct me if im wrong

Hope it is not sounds as an advertising but programmable mouse or keyboard is a huge step forward in increasing effectivness especially in PvP. You won't have this kind of issues.

I use a razor naga it has an additional 12 buttons in the left side. For movement i use mouse only, for strafing and move backward i use mouse buttons 1,2,3 and button 4 for attack. I have macros on the mouse and assigned all attacks including finisher to one button and it automatically choose the best appropriate attack, you can specify attack priority too and have multiple priorities. With programmable mouse you can move, straif and do an attack using mouse only pressing few buttons and have keyboard for defencive abilities and contrabilities.

thanks all for the replies

trying to imagine mouse only turning would seem like a nightmare (i play all melee toons) correct me if im wrong

I didn't say mouse only turning, don't be silly :D

mouseturning specificially refers to in-combat situations where you have to turn your character really quick and use skills at the same time. while this is usually more a PVP-thing, I definitely noticed that it's also super helpful in PVE in this game. your character just reacts .much. faster when you use the mouse to turn and not WASD, and you can use your keybindings easier (without needing a 12 key mouse)

Edited by amnie

I didn't say mouse only turning, don't be silly :D

mouseturning specificially refers to in-combat situations where you have to turn your character really quick and use skills at the same time. while this is usually more a PVP-thing, I definitely noticed that it's also super helpful in PVE in this game. your character just reacts .much. faster when you use the mouse to turn and not WASD, and you can use your keybindings easier (without needing a 12 key mouse)

Agreed mouse turning is way better. With programmable mouse or keyboard you can spam only one button for attack. Let's look how it works. On my guardian i have attack priority

Saber throw -charge - dispatch -plasma brand- sundering strike- overhead slash - bladestorm - strike. I spam one button if distance more than 10 meter it throw saber than on the next click do charge. If distance is 4- 10 meters it first execute dispatch if available if not try to execute baldestorm. If distance 4 meters it tries first execute plasma brand, if there is no focus or plasma on cd it automatically execute focus builder. I do not need to think about focus management and which attack to use, i have functionality of 8 attacks on 1 button and it always choose the best appropriate attack. so i can focus more on global strategy proper positioning, defencive abilities and contrabilities.

well you did essentially disagree with me, though, because I also said you don't need a fancy mouse for that (I will include macro mice in this)

mouse-turning is just helpful in combat over all because you don't have to make weird movements, and as I said the mouse just reacts much quicker (don't believe me? compare moving your char with right-click and then move it with wasd)

you can't set the char movementspeed for keyboard in this game, so mouse turning all the way :cool:

I never really understood why peeps use the W-A-S-D keys for movement.

I much prefer the 4 Arrow keys + [Delete] for Strafe Left and [Page Down] for Strafe Right. So all movement is with my right hand. I remap the left side of the keyboard for my action bars.

I never really understood why peeps use the W-A-S-D keys for movement.

I much prefer the 4 Arrow keys + [Delete] for Strafe Left and [Page Down] for Strafe Right. So all movement is with my right hand. I remap the left side of the keyboard for my action bars.

well, for general movement there's one (or two) easy reasons why I personally use wasd

a) I got used to it because the default in FF was wasd for char movement and ijkl (I think) for cam positioning

b) it's just easier to move your char with your left hand and turn the camera with the right hand (mouse), so when in combat I can keep my right hand on my mouse to move like that and use my left hand for skills (I have keybindings all around, including r,t,z,f, g, c....)

I was always a clicker that used the arrows for movement, so trying to switch to wasd was not fun. I kept having to look down to reposition my hands as I moved them to press keybinds.

So, I decided to try something a little different. I still use the arrows for movement, but now I use the entire number pad plus insert, home, PU, delete, end, PD, backspace, \, and = as keybinds plus I have a few CTRL + keybinds. All in all, it gives me about 25 or so keybinds I can easily reach and I never press the wrong key as things aren't as bunched up. I can easily press the right arrow, right click to strafe/mouse turn and hit all of my attacks while PVPing. I much prefer it over the normal way people keybind and would highly recommend it to clickers that want to try keybinding.

W-A-S-D and mouse for movement

E- Shortrange "on the move" attack

Q- Melee ability i.e Stockstrike

F- Stun or slow ability

R- AoE ability

Shift-F Interrupt

Shift-R Other AoE

1 - Charge or Long heal depending on toon type or Long cast dps

2 - Taunt or Heal (as above).....cast dps

3 - Dot or Hot

I could go on and include my extra mouse buttons too. But i decided to keep the above to show those with generic mouse buttons how and why they could and should use that area of the keyboard.

But the above does show where you can start from, and this allow mulitple combos of the same area with the use of shift too.

I

Edited by Mogsey

I let go on a key for when I press another button, but this action is very quick. This pvp is simple anyway, I laugh at people trying to kite me as I can just sit there and rotate the camera following them and then they fall over.