Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's going to happen to those of us that's on the EU RP-PvP server? It's one of a kind and low pop nowadays. We aren't gonna be able to get any new transfers or transfer off?
It has been confirmed that you will be excluded from the coming round of transfers.

Seems to me if you really want to know the Origin and Destination servers all it would take is a little Google search to find out the servers available in beta and pre-launch (Destination) then see what servers were thrown in after launch due to massive Queue time just after launch (Origin)

Well lets put a bit of Math on this:

If you have 10 empty Server and you allow people from those 10 empty Servers to transfer to another empty Server you will end with 11 empty servers...in the end all it will be at same starting point!

For me it seems BW its using a dirty trick to force people to pay for transfers to healthy servers were we all already have character available.

One analogy if you have 100 poor people and one rich and if the rich gives all his money to 100 poor to give them a better life, it will end having 101 poor people.

Regards,

BW has no sense of the vast number of us who rerolled elsewhere during this extended period of low server population. The company clearly has no sense of how disgruntled some of us -- early and very loyal players who LOVE the game-- are at hearing we will now NOT be able to transfer our MAINS to the servers where we rerolled when our original servers became deserted. We created guilds on those more populated servers, made friends and created or joined guilds. Most of us have multiple legacy characters with resources (money, maxed crew skills, etc.) that we have waited patiently to transfer to join their rerolled brothers and sisters.The whole Bioware-touted "LEGACY" that we worked so hard to raise in levels is now lost to us, unless we agree to abandon our new servers, transfer to another new server and create or join new guilds there since our old ones on our original servers are dead. Transfers are going to also be limited by the original type of server we rolled on--no transfers from say, an RP-PvE server to a PvE server...so I can't even merge my character family THAT way...WHY? I had planned on playing SWTOR for the next few years, but that's too much to ask of paying customers, Bioware. You're supposed to be satifsying OUR wishes, you work for US--you provide a service and your service leaves alot to be desired.

GW2, and Secret World are coming out in the next few weeks. I'll be checking them out.

The Evenstar Legacy

Dead server: Sanctum of the Exalted

Edited by BlueIndigo

BW has no sense of the vast number of us who rerolled elsewhere during this extended period of low server population. The company clearly has no sense of how disgruntled some of us -- early and very loyal playerrs who LOVE the game-- are at hearing we will now NOT be able to transfer our MAINS to the servers where we rerolled when our original servers became deserted. We created guilds on those more populated servers, made friends and created or joined guilds. Most of us have multiple legacy characters with resources (money, maxed crew skills, etc.) that we have waited patiently to transfer to join their rerolled brothers and sisters.The whole Bioware-touted "LEGACY" that we worked so hard to raise in levels is now lost to us, unless we agree to abandon our new servers, transfer to another new server and create or join new guilds there since our old ones on our original servers are dead. Transfers are going to also be limited by the original type of server we rolled on--no transfers from say, an RP-PvE server to a PvE server...so I can't even merge my character family THAT way...WHY? I had planned on playing SWTOR for the next few years, but that's too much to ask of paying customers, Bioware. You're supposed to be satifsying OUR wishes, you work for US--you provide a service and your service leaves alot to be desired.

GW2, and Secret World are coming out in the next few weeks. I'll be checking them out.

The Evenstar Legacy

Dead server: Sanctum of the Exalted

I totally agree with you this is a Low cost game that doesn't deserve 15€ monthly & Î might be wrong but I have the feeling that they will do manage this transfer process manually.

Edited by Szadek

For me it seems BW its using a dirty trick to force people to pay for transfers to healthy servers were we all already have character available.

There is no information at ALL about paid transfers. Right now we are in the free transfers for the 90+% of servers with population issues phase.

When you made a decision to re-roll to a new server you must have known there would be consequences no?

Just cause you saw the word transfer doesn't mean you get to instantly move all of your characters to the server of your choice.

If you're on a dead server or the characters you've left behind still are and you'd like to give them a whirl again. Please move them to a server with a healthy population.

If you've got a character on a high population server already and you want to continue to play them... continue playing them on that high population server if you choose to do so.

These transfers are fixing a glaring population issue, they're not meant to consolidate your characters from multiple servers, correct the type of server you want to be on (I realize there are a couple of exceptions to that though), and no they don't have the ability to move your whole guild... BASIC transfers to fix a problem that should've been taken care of months ago. Don't expect anything fancy and wait for more actual details.

Edited by Nakazia

Well lets put a bit of Math on this:

If you have 10 empty Server and you allow people from those 10 empty Servers to transfer to another empty Server you will end with 11 empty servers...in the end all it will be at same starting point!

One analogy if you have 100 poor people and one rich and if the rich gives all his money to 100 poor to give them a better life, it will end having 101 poor people.

Regards,

That's not how it's going to work at all!!! The reason they haven't announced all the servers yet is not because they don't what to hold people in limbo. They are going to have a target server which we all know. They are going to take orgin servers and move them to said target server. If said target server fills up then great, if not they will take an additional orgin server to move to said target server until the server has reached population goal.

I will say this again READ the Dev blog before you ask questions most of them have all ready been answered. You can take the word of another player but, better to go to the source and know the answer is right.

Edited by Ramladon

I am currently unsubscribed with a few paid days left. I wonder what happens if while I am unsubscribed, the few people that still play in my dead server, move out via transfers and BW decides to close the server. Will I lose my chars? Do I have to resub, in order to transfer them?

Note : I ll be far away from any internet connection for the following 3-4 months so swtor.com and any news on that subject, won't be available to me.

I don't believe they will be "deleting servers". They may just remove them from a selectable list so when anyone who still has a character on that server comes back, they can log into them

I don't believe they will be "deleting servers". They may just remove them from a selectable list so when anyone who still has a character on that server comes back, they can log into them

How does one 'delete' servers? Running rampant with a sledgehammer in the server room?

How does one 'delete' servers? Running rampant with a sledgehammer in the server room?

they don't actually delete them they take them offline. Once this is done it will save them a lot of money. Which they can use to spend on actual game development instead of waisted server space.

There is no information at ALL about paid transfers. Right now we are in the free transfers for the 90+% of servers with population issues.

When you made a decision to re-roll to a new server you must have known there would be consequences no?

Just cause you saw the word transfer doesn't mean you get to instantly move all of your characters to the server of your choice.

If you're on a dead server or the characters you've left behind still are and you'd like to give them a whirl again. Please move them to a server with a healthy population.

If you've got a character on a high population server already and you want to continue to play them... continue playing them on that high population server if you choose to do so.

These transfers are fixing a glaring population issue, they're not meant to consolidate your characters from multiple servers, correct the type of server you want to be on (I realize there are a couple of exceptions to that though), and no they don't have the ability to move your whole guild... BASIC transfers to fix a problem that should've been taken care of months ago. Don't expect anything fancy and wait for more actual details.

I cannot agree with you just because some basic points:

1- 6 months ago no one, I repeat no one could guess what would be de empty Servers.

2 - 2/3 months because unfortunately I ended on a dead Server with Valor Rank 80 toon and I had 0, I repeat 0 people to play with and I mean PVP and PVE - (Last nite for example at 22:30 GMt were 1 guy at fleet and that guy was me!) and all the guild made the hard decision to move tho another server if not they would end dead...so i moved also with them....2/3 months after I have another level 75 rank valor in that new but healthy Server - Different class - Different char that I don't appreciate so much as my main char that I have waited 3 years to create (btut hey!!! this was a plan B) and now that transfers will be available I will not be allowed do move the main char wherever I want to cause we have some one that design a transfer method over a coffee table decided that transfer will be like he wants and not how community deserves!

3 - I am talking about first person but I can bet that 90% of people asking for transfers are at same point that I am.

4 - You might be one of the lucky guys that Have all you're chars over one of the few healthy servers, and they are what 2 or 3 top, and don't know or don't even imagine what the other 905 are talking about.

Best Regards,

I cannot agree with you just because some basic points:

1- 6 months ago no one, I repeat no one could guess what would be de empty Servers.

2 - 2/3 months because unfortunately I ended on a dead Server with Valor Rank 80 toon and I had 0, I repeat 0 people to play with and I mean PVP and PVE - (Last nite for example at 22:30 GMt were 1 guy at fleet and that guy was me!) and all the guild made the hard decision to move tho another server if not they would end dead...so i moved also with them....2/3 months after I have another level 75 rank valor in that new but healthy Server - Different class - Different char that I don't appreciate so much as my main char that I have waited 3 years to create (btut hey!!! this was a plan B) and now that transfers will be available I will not be allowed do move the main char wherever I want to cause we have some one that design a transfer method over a coffee table decided that transfer will be like he wants and not how community deserves!

3 - I am talking about first person but I can bet that 90% of people asking for transfers are at same point that I am.

4 - You might be one of the lucky guys that Have all you're chars over one of the few healthy servers, and they are what 2 or 3 top, and don't know or don't even imagine what the other 905 are talking about.

Best Regards,

My Server is dead the guilds that are left on my server have been getting together Empire and Republic alike just to make pvp work so we can get matches in. There are only 3 guilds on my server that are still able to successfully do pve content.

We have been sticking it out and making it work on our mains instead of abandoning ship. It was your choice to move, just like it was our choice to stick it out. Not Bioware fault either way. At least there attempting to fix it. EA were the ones that jumped the guns by putting up so many servers. Bioware developers are stuck cleaning up the mess. EA has a real bad track record for doing stuff like this because all EA cares about is making money.

My Server is dead the guilds that are left on my server have been getting together Empire and Republic alike just to make pvp work so we can get matches in. There are only 3 guilds on my server that are still able to successfully do pve content.

We have been sticking it out and making it work on our mains instead of abandoning ship. It was your choice to move, just like it was our choice to stick it out. Not Bioware fault either way. At least there attempting to fix it. EA were the ones that jumped the guns by putting up so many servers. Bioware developers are stuck cleaning up the mess. EA has a real bad track record for doing stuff like this because all EA cares about is making money.

Well In part I do agree with you....but what you say is something like this the majority of the game player base is wrong and BW its right!

In that case its all ok..wy should we even bother!

I don't anymore that why subs runs out in 8 days and i don't even know why bother to look at this forums with the hope that this well managed company that take the right decisions does something wrong at least for one time(sarcastic).

Regards,

There is no information at ALL about paid transfers. Right now we are in the free transfers for the 90+% of servers with population issues phase.

1. There was no decision to be made I had to re roll.There was no one to play with.

2. And yes I saw the word transfer and why would't I move to where I want? Balanced Population? I am already playing on a new one.And as I said already it would add a new character not a new player so that is irrelevant.

3.And they have stated many times they have our best interest in ind,And if this is so then what is the Issue? money? It is the only reason left.

Simply put, NO.

Thank you Dev BlueIndigo. Look I know they said you would go to the same type server, and if you think about it going from a RP to RP/PvP should be doable. Anyways let the Devs do their job and reply, our quotes are speculation.

Well In part I do agree with you....but what you say is something like this the majority of the game player base is wrong and BW its right!

In that case its all ok..wy should we even bother!

I don't anymore that why subs runs out in 8 days and i don't even know why bother to look at this forums with the hope that this well managed company that take the right decisions does something wrong at least for one time(sarcastic).

Regards,

I'm not saying anyone is wrong I'm just saying you choose to move. You will eventually be able to move your old characters to your new ones servers. Are you not happy with your new character and the server you are on now? I understand that not being able to play your old character right away sucks but, what about the 1000's of people that have been sticking it out on dead servers? Isn't fair for them to get a shot with playing with other people first fair? The server you chose to move to has a decent population it's why you moved there right instead of waiting? They are just trying to get the people that still don't have others to play with taken care of before they move it to open paid transfers. Trying to do both at the same time would be a logistical mess. Be patient you will be able to rejoin your characters soon enough.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong I'm just saying you choose to move. You will eventually be able to move your old characters to your new ones servers. Are you not happy with your new character and the server you are on now? I understand that not being able to play your old character right away sucks but, what about the 1000's of people that have been sticking it out on dead servers? Isn't fair for them to get a shot with playing with other people first fair? The server you chose to move to has a decent population it's why you moved there right instead of waiting? They are just trying to get the people that still don't have others to play with taken care of before they move it to open paid transfers. Trying to do both at the same time would be a logistical mess. Be patient you will be able to rejoin your characters soon enough.

Well those 1000's of other players should be fine on a server.my concern is not that I can't transfer to my new toons now.But that if they do not allow us to now it is only Because they want to charge us late.There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to now.But when I log in and there is 2 people on fleet.There was no way to "Stick it out"I did every quest,I can't solo Ops or HM's. And well lets face it PvP takes Others to PvP against.You keep saying I chose.There was two options quit or re-roll.

Thank you Dev BlueIndigo. Look I know they said you would go to the same type server, and if you think about it going from a RP to RP/PvP should be doable. Anyways let the Devs do their job and reply, our quotes are speculation.
They have already answered this question. They will not be repeating themselves. As you noted, they've made it clear that transfers are only to same server type. RP and RP-PvP are different server types. As such you will not be able to transfer from one type to the other. Edited by HeavensAgent

what about the 1000's of people that have been sticking it out on dead servers? Isn't fair for them to get a shot with playing with other people first fair? .

Well sorry to say but i really doubt that there are still 1000 people sticking on dead servers those 1000 already unsubscribe 3 months ago wen population problems started weeks after after patch 1.1.

If you merge or call it wherever you want all BW empty servers in to one BW will not have one Server like fat man or Tom of freedom Naad.

...Now I am predicting last night on tomb fop freedom naad at prime time there were under 100 people on the fleet, at 23:00 PM there were under 40, if u read between the lines this is a strong message to BW that wen GW2 hit the shelves, the worst might not even started to happen.

Regards,

Read my other post. My server is pretty well dead too. I can understand there are servers that are worse off then mine and that really sucks if you can't find a few people to roll with. I know our republic side was only able to get 1 queue all week for pvp and that is why all the GM's linked up emprie and republic alike to set times just like a raid so there would be enough of everyone to do pvp. Should we have to go though all that just to get our members content they want/need? No. but it's what had to be done.

I have no doubt that we may lose a few members during the move. I also have no doubt that people will quit over what's going on. Weather they feel it's unfair, or just tired of trying to stick it out. I myself have had thoughts of quitting but what am I going to do go back to wow which is utter fail any more hell no. Am I going to go to diablo III and deal with there down servers all the time and worry about getting hacked nope. So I am left with playing starwars. Which isn't a bad game in itself.

Will the mergers/transfers make the game more playable? most definatly. Are they even close to perfect? nope. It is what it is though. Roll with the punches or abandon ship. I will probably abandon ship if and when I run out of content to play which could very well happen before 1.4. Since 1.3 has no actual content.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.