Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I am already to pay to play for 8-10 years if they keep content active but not if I have to pay extra to be happy.If it comes down to paying close to a $100 to move 5 already geared and max crafted characters to be with my other toons,and where I now run a 200 member guild, then I will say good bye like I did when this happened in EQ and never look back.I will not start all over on a new server for a 3rd and maybe even a forth time.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sorry to say but i really doubt that there are still 1000 people sticking on dead servers those 1000 already unsubscribe 3 months ago wen population problems started weeks after after patch 1.1.

If you merge or call it wherever you want all BW empty servers in to one BW will not have one Server like fat man or Tom of freedom Naad.

...Now I am predicting last night on tomb fop freedom naad at prime time there were under 100 people on the fleet, at 23:00 PM there were under 40, if u read between the lines this is a strong message to BW that wen GW2 hit the shelves, the worst might not even started to happen.

Regards,

Actually, these server transfers are going to create quite a few servers like The Fatman. That's the whole point and why it's restricted at first. :rolleyes:

Actually, these server transfers are going to create quite a few servers like The Fatman. That's the whole point and why it's restricted at first. :rolleyes:

Not if the people being made to transfer are already dedicated and active on there new servers.The only reason is to create cash flow later.

Not if the people being made to transfer are already dedicated and active on there new servers.The only reason is to create cash flow later.

Amen! :p

They are focused in get every $$ they can, cause the know that they will be in trouble very soon.

Edited by Szadek

Is your new server a dead server? If not, then this won't affect you at all. If it is dead then why would you stay? You don't have to move if you don't want to.

Is your new server a dead server? If not, then this won't affect you at all. If it is dead then why would you stay? You don't have to move if you don't want to.

No my "NEW" server is the one I re-rolled onto because my original server where I have 5 50's is dead.So I found a new home and started a guild and have a new 50 with another one on the way.I want all on the new server cause I do not want to leave this guild to go start a new one.I have one of every class and craft and would like them on the same server so my guild and I can benefit from all my hard work.My old guild died cause no one ever logged on.It is alot of work to make a guild create a site and make everyone happy.Why should I be punished for all my hard work?

Amen! :p

They are focused in get every $$ they can, cause the know that they will be in trouble very soon.

They wouldn't be moving millions of characters for free if they were all about making money. This is only the first round of free transfers. There will be more free transfers later with less restrictions. Paid transfers are only the last phase. :rolleyes:

No my "NEW" server is the one I re-rolled onto because my original server where I have 5 50's is dead.So I found a new home and started a guild and have a new 50 with another one on the way.I want all on the new server cause I do not want to leave this guild to go start a new one.I have one of every class and craft and would like them on the same server so my guild and I can benefit from all my hard work.My old guild died cause no one ever logged on.It is alot of work to make a guild create a site and make everyone happy.Why should I be punished for all my hard work?

If your old server is dead you will be able to move those toons for free in a later round of transfers. Have patience.

They wouldn't be moving millions of characters for free if they were all about making money. This is only the first round of free transfers. There will be more free transfers later with less restrictions. Paid transfers are only the last phase. :rolleyes:

Where is this posted? And why wait ? it is simple to give people a choice or to create some exceptions based on pre determined guidelines. Like if you have a 50 on a server or Legacy 10 on a server or so many hours played on a server. This would make a lot of people happy and retain more people as apposed to losing them.And if they are going to have all these so called fat man like servers then they can spare the people to go to where they choose.

1. There was no decision to be made I had to re roll.There was no one to play with.

You didn't have to, there was no gun to your head and you must have thought for a half a second that it's a completely separate server you were re-rolling on to and that it'd be a while before you could consolidate your characters together. When you made that choice to re-roll as a lot did it only made matters worse for all the light population servers. This is why players won't be given the option to go where they wish... the population wouldn't be balanced at all if we were given any choice in the matter at this point in time.

2. And yes I saw the word transfer and why would't I move to where I want? Balanced Population? I am already playing on a new one.And as I said already it would add a new character not a new player so that is irrelevant.

These transfers are for the people who haven't re-rolled and won't. I realized that there was more to Legacy, I realized I didn't want to leave what I've achieved on my server behind, I've stayed on a dead server and have not re-rolled and I'd like to play with people.

The purpose of these transfers to stabilize server population across the board. You've already got a character you can play on a server with a healthy population. I do not. You can still visit the idea of moving the characters you have left behind on to a new server as well if you choose to for the time being... while they work on the next phase of transfers.

I'm a little more realistic about things lately and the fact that we're even seeing the start of these transfers before "early summer" is a decent start.. I just hope it doesn't take too long. Millions of individual character transfers will have to be done already. They just don't have the capability to also account for individuals wishes due to the choices that they've made at this point in time.

3.And they have stated many times they have our best interest in ind,And if this is so then what is the Issue? money? It is the only reason left.

It's in Biowares best interest to have transfers available to people playing their MMO on a dead server. You've been enjoying the game with people I have not. The goal is to get ALL characters to a server with a healthy population... nothing more, and your re-rolled character is doing perfectly fine in that department.

Where is this posted? And why wait ? it is simple to give people a choice or to create some exceptions based on pre determined guidelines. Like if you have a 50 on a server or Legacy 10 on a server or so many hours played on a server. This would make a lot of people happy and retain more people as apposed to losing them.And if they are going to have all these so called fat man like servers then they can spare the people to go to where they choose.

The reason it's so tightly restricted during the first round is because they need to actively funnel the population onto selected destination servers to create "mega servers". If they gave players choice this early people would scatter everywhere or all go to a server like The Fatman.

It has to be controlled to fix the population issues.

Celebrus said it perfectly, so I'll repost here:

This is probably one of the few times we'll find common ground on something, but I agree.

They're restricting these transfers for a reason, it's fairly clear. That reason is that when the community is given it's choice, it would apparently like 2-3 extremely full servers and 100 or so dead servers.

Now, when Bioware is given the choice, they would like to see a few dozen healthy servers, and by limiting our options thats really the only way to achieve that goal. The bottom line is that they are trying to fix the current problem, not recreate it, and by allowing us too many options, it would simply cause the same problems all over again.

There isn't anything wrong with paid transfers in this instance, as the free transfers are being allowed SIMPLY AND ONLY TO FIX THE POPULATION ISSUES ON CERTAIN SERVERS. The paid transfer service will be later put in place to fix problems caused by player decisions. Such as transferring from a pvp to a pve server.

It's about flow-control. There HAS to be flow-control on this. And people transferring willy-nilly after the servers are filled is not a good idea, either, and a paid service is the perfect way to stem that behavior.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

The reason it's so tightly restricted during the first round is because they need to actively funnel the population onto selected destination servers to create "mega servers". If they gave players choice this early people would scatter everywhere or all go to a server like The Fatman.

It has to be controlled to fix the population issues.

But does it really matter? I mean If i transfer a character onto the new server but do not play it cause I am active on a new server it becomes irrelevant.The character is there but not the player.That is the reason I mentioned there be guidelines for those who have already made a new home elsewhere.

Celebrus said it perfectly, so I'll repost here:

It's about flow-control. There HAS to be flow-control on this. And people transferring willy-nilly after the servers are filled is not a good idea, either, and a paid service is the perfect way to stem that behavior.

I should pay because I was not allowed to play the lvl 50 content due to poor population? Did i miss something? was I psychic and suppose to know my server was gonna die? Now either way I have to pay to get everyone of my toons on same server.Again this is a dirty tactic to generate cash flow.

But does it really matter? I mean If i transfer a character onto the new server but do not play it cause I am active on a new server it becomes irrelevant.The character is there but not the player.That is the reason I mentioned there be guidelines for those who have already made a new home elsewhere.

If they made special circumstances for you, they'd have to do it for everyone. Which would defeat the whole purpose. Be patient, it will all work out in the end. :)

If they made special circumstances for you, they'd have to do it for everyone. Which would defeat the whole purpose. Be patient, it will all work out in the end. :)

I didn't say for me alone I meant in general. Guidelines for everyone not me alone.But I am sure You kind of knew that right?

Again this is a dirty tactic to generate cash flow.

LOL!! So a typical model that most other MMOs use to stem willy-nilly transfers is a "dirty tactic", eh? :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that correcting player decisions is not the goal of the free transfers. I have a character that I decided to roll on another server, and it very likely will NOT be an origin server to my current server where the rest of my characters are.

It was MY decision to do that, so I'm willing to pay to correct MY mistake.

I should pay because I was not allowed to play the lvl 50 content due to poor population? Did i miss something? was I psychic and suppose to know my server was gonna die? Now either way I have to pay to get everyone of my toons on same server.Again this is a dirty tactic to generate cash flow.

You won't likely have to pay. Relax....lol.

Edited by WrecklessMEDIC

If they open 4 origin servers to one destination server, and it adequately fills up the destination server, that's that. If you're not on one of the origin servers, but you want on the destination server, wait until paid transfers.

And there's nothing wrong with paid transfers. Even EQ2 still has paid transfers, and many people still avail themselves of it to this day. And it has done wonders with stemming willy-nilly transfers. I think it's a great idea.

If they open 4 origin servers to one destination server, and it adequately fills up the destination server, that's that. If you're not on one of the origin servers, but you want on the destination server, wait until paid transfers.

And there's nothing wrong with paid transfers. Even EQ2 still has paid transfers, and many people still avail themselves of it to this day. And it has done wonders with stemming willy-nilly transfers. I think it's a great idea.

Later in the games development sure I don't have a problem paying.But when it's part of BW short sited failings I don't expect to pay.And when they claim to have everyone's happiness in mind I have the right to voice what would make me and I know from what I have read many many more happy.I would like to see them actually back that up as something they meant not something on a Que card meant to get you off the hone or out of dev chat.

LOL!! So a typical model that most other MMOs use to stem willy-nilly transfers is a "dirty tactic", eh? :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that correcting player decisions is not the goal of the free transfers. I have a character that I decided to roll on another server, and it very likely will NOT be an origin server to my current server where the rest of my characters are.

It was MY decision to do that, so I'm willing to pay to correct MY mistake.

How could it be anyone's mistake if they re-rolled (As per CS advice) one one of the few populated severs ? And then to suggest they pay, or that anyone should have to pay for this EA generated mess....well

Later in the games development sure I don't have a problem paying.But when it's part of BW short sited failings I don't expect to pay.And when they claim to have everyone's happiness in mind I have the right to voice what would make me and I know from what I have read many many more happy.I would like to see them actually back that up as something they meant not something on a Que card meant to get you off the hone or out of dev chat.

Paid transfers are at the end of the line. Waay at the end. There will be multiple phases of free transfers. This is only the first. :rolleyes:

Paid transfers are at the end of the line. Waay at the end. There will be multiple phases of free transfers. This is only the first. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your patient and re assuring messages and I hope you are right.I appreciate that you are trying to keep me calm( not that I am raging lol) But I am here not to flame or put anyone down or say who is right or who is wrong.I just want to make it know how I feel,cause if i feel this way many others do as well.And I do not want to quit this game.But I will not pay this early on to have them all together.I hope you are right and it all works out.

How could it be anyone's mistake if they re-rolled (As per CS advice) one one of the few populated severs ? And then to suggest they pay, or that anyone should have to pay for this EA generated mess....well

That part of the equation has yet to be defined.

^^^^^ Thank you.