Alright watchmen, whats with the numbers?

Well, in pve you will get hit by some boss aoe attack maybe once in 20 sec or so. At least if you wont tank it by yourself. That means jedi crusader is pointless there.

Pvp is a bit different but I cant remember when I was focus starved in pvp (if ever).

You take more damage than you realize in PvE. Enought to hold up Jedi Crusader fo'sure in PvE.

I didn't think so either until actually watching/testing it. It maintains like a boss. Even if you aren't spec'ed into it just pop your damage shield and watch it re-re-refresh.

It's just the game. They spray out some damage to give the healers a reason to click on other people and heal them. It is to keep the game fun for them. If it wasn't like that. They'd just target the main tank, and that would be the end of it.

I have sat here and seen tons of threads on how watchmen is sooo much better than combat. Some of you, have gone so far as to say since there is no numbers posted for combat, you win hands down.

Well, I've been at this for weeks and no matter how hard I tried, how closely I watch my DoTs, how many guides and youtube videos I watch on rotation and priority, I just can't get Watchmen to parse higher numbers then combat?

So whats up? Cause I'm convinced that Combat does more dps. At least it does when I test it. Have we gotten to the point that so many people said Watchmen was better that no its the norm even if numbers show otherwise?

I've been playing mmos for close to 10 years and just recently got done spending the last couple of years playing an affliction lock and assignation rogue in wow, had great numbers, before I quit, my rogue in NON- FIRELANDS gear was pumping out 28k dps, so I'm pretty sure I know how to play a DoT classes, thank you. I totally understand the concept of "clipping" and what not.

So enlighten me, whats going on here?

Combat log

Watchmen Log

Both have same gear, I can screen shot it for ya if need be lol

Edited, uploader cut off the times on the fight but both fights are between 360 - 370 seconds

i will comment that combat is about 100dps behind compared to watchman, and i verify it also.

That is the defense Watchmen build. Drop Steadfast and pick up Insight. Your burns come from your "Force Attacks".

Hey, is this true?

I have wondered whether insight (+force attack crit chance) effected burn damage as a watchman. I would love some confirmation, not sure how to get it though.

on OS and Cauterize it clearly says burn damage, but on skills such as Blade Storm it is clearly uses the 'force.

They are both yellow damage. Hence my confusion.

Is this the same thing or different? Thanks

Hey, is this true?

I have wondered whether insight (+force attack crit chance) effected burn damage as a watchman. I would love some confirmation, not sure how to get it though.

on OS and Cauterize it clearly says burn damage, but on skills such as Blade Storm it is clearly uses the 'force.

They are both yellow damage. Hence my confusion.

Is this the same thing or different? Thanks

If the damage comes up as yellow, it falls under Force/Tech attack. So, yes you burns, Blade Storm and Force sweet are force attacks.

If the damage comes up as yellow, it falls under Force/Tech attack. So, yes you burns, Blade Storm and Force sweet are force attacks.

Very interesting. If this is true, why is Insight not a mandatory talent to pick up. I would have thought 6% crit chance for your burns is an excellent boost in terms of damage dealt and healing received? (as well as a nice boost to Blade Storm etc.)

At the moment I am using this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMfsZhMM.1

I have 3 points that I am undecided about.

I use force leap a lot, so Focused Leap earns its keep.

I was thinking of putting 2 into Force Fade and then 1 into Master Focus or Inflammation, but should I really be putting all 3 into Insight for a +6% Force Crit Chance?

Choices choices :)

Very interesting. If this is true, why is Insight not a mandatory talent to pick up. I would have thought 6% crit chance for your burns is an excellent boost in terms of damage dealt and healing received? (as well as a nice boost to Blade Storm etc.)

At the moment I am using this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRMfsZhMM.1

I have 3 points that I am undecided about.

I use force leap a lot, so Focused Leap earns its keep.

I was thinking of putting 2 into Force Fade and then 1 into Master Focus or Inflammation, but should I really be putting all 3 into Insight for a +6% Force Crit Chance?

Choices choices :)

If you are going for a more PvE build, your watchmen is fine. What we you end up having to decide is if you need more damage or more survivability.

If it is Survivability, keep what you have, out 2 points into master focus and leave yourself with 1 do with as you need (Steadfast, Jedi Crusader, Insight).

If you do not need the survivability, you want as much damage as possible. In which case you drop Defensive Roll and pick up Master Focus and Insight.

I will make a note that I do not even bother using Blade Storm in my rotation. It hits only a tad harder then slash, but slash resets the cool down on cauterize and has a chance for my second saber to hit which would deal more damage. Not to mention it costs less.

Hey mate sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're actually incorrect. It was bugging me so I sent a ticket in asking them. And they said burns are internal and elemental damage not force damage. So the bonus from Insight will not effect your burn damage, only Blade Storm etc.

Man, does anyone understand types of damage here? There are four types ... internal, energy, kinetic, elemental. And these dmg types can be either melee, ranged, tech or force.

So for example watchman burn from cauterize is elemental/internal (dunno which one now) force attack (yellow number).

Or dispatch is energy ranged (white number).

Slash is energy melee (white number).

Blade storm is kinetic force (yellow number).

Edited by Phoeniixx

I have a request for one of you combat spec guys that knows how to run parsers please. Will you do one full rotation of focus builders>BR>PS>MS>BS and another of focus builder>BR>MS>BS and tell me what the dps difference is. Also would you try the same with the Zen>BR spam rotation with and without PS. Everyone says the bigest downfall of combat spec is having to get your damage inside that PS window, and while im sure its a dps increase im just curious as to how much of a difference it is. Ill give you plus 9000 internets if you will do this for me.

I tested all three specs on the pvp combat dummy with those results:

No Buffs except Force Might and Sage Buff.

~3 min each fight.

Focus: 1500 dps

Combat: 1500 dps

Watchman: 1600+ dps

Watchman is really good for long fights where Focus and Combat are much better in bursts and killing targets quickly.

Edited by Venjirai

That means low crit chance, low accuracy and high power + surge?

Yes, combat spec will suffer from it, because its main dmg comes from bladerush spam and you need it to crit often and ofc you need to hit target in the first place.

Edited by Phoeniixx

That means low crit chance, low accuracy and high power + surge?

Yes, combat spec will suffer from it, because its main dmg comes from bladerush spam and you need it to crit often and ofc you need to hit target in the first place.

Yes, power and surge.

Add to that that I am not that familiar with Combat and the single target dps will probably be higher.