Massive E3 Announcement on Monday

Frankt

I wish they'd get on with it, and finish a FTP conversion sooner, rather than later. Add the store, give us fluff, and move on. Nobody should live the illusion that this game will be entirely FTP at some point in the future. LvL 15 is a start, it may even forestall a full flip of the game, but it isn't changing the ultimate outcome. FTP is not always "pay to win." LOTRO is a fine example this game could learn a LOT from. Of course, I also know a lot of folks that crowed about how they were escaping FTP coming here. Ironically, a lot of our LOTRO members will indeed try this game, and hang around to RP, with a FTP lvl 15. Not likely to subscribe in most cases, but it will bolster our guilds work here.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, is it only me that thinks this is funny? The game is not even half a year old and they are already tossing in a level cap increase, new worlds, fp's and such. But maybe that are what's needed to keep the game alive, I wouldn't know. I just thought it to be hilarious.

I don't think it's funny at all. I think it's awesome. How can anyone possibly think a level cap increase and new content can happen "too soon"? Especially when all I've been hearing on this forum is that it's not enough and too slow?

Amazing...

I wish they'd get on with it, and finish a FTP conversion sooner, rather than later. Add the store, give us fluff, and move on. Nobody should live the illusion that this game will be entirely FTP at some point in the future. LvL 15 is a start, it may even forestall a full flip of the game, but it isn't changing the ultimate outcome. FTP is not always "pay to win." LOTRO is a fine example this game could learn a LOT from. Of course, I also know a lot of folks that crowed about how they were escaping FTP coming here. Ironically, a lot of our LOTRO members will indeed try this game, and hang around to RP, with a FTP lvl 15. Not likely to subscribe in most cases, but it will bolster our guilds work here.

I don't think a full flip is necessary for this game. Something like EQ2 is doing (still sub-based, but with a few F2P/RMT servers) is plenty. Best of both worlds.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Wait, is it only me that thinks this is funny? The game is not even half a year old and they are already tossing in a level cap increase, new worlds, fp's and such. But maybe that are what's needed to keep the game alive, I wouldn't know. I just thought it to be hilarious.

You are a sick, sick, sick man than. lol :D

You don't remember Anakin fighting Obi-Wan in a firey "void" on floating platforms? :p

Seriously, though, how did you get "dimensional void on floating stone platforms" from barely one second of video?

He is right, watch the video again. The player characters are all florescent colored, and the monster scene is shown with an "mystical colored" background.

To top it off, the strange asian-inspired masquerade mask-wearing sword fighters certainly did not give me a star wars feeling either.

I don't think it's funny at all. I think it's awesome. How can anyone possibly think a level cap increase and new content can happen "too soon"? Especially when all I've been hearing on this forum is that it's not enough and too slow?

Amazing...

New content? i dont think theres any game out there that actualy puts out content "too fast" Rift is trying to but they havent done it yet. But a level cap this early seems a little weird to me but not nearly as weird as other things thy have done.

Personaly as a someone whos main is a Guardian tank i welcome the level increase, hoping maybe they can actualy finish my class now.

Edited by Mallorik

New content? i dont think theres any game out there that actualy puts out content "too fast" Rift is trying to but they havent done it yet. But a level cap this early seems a little weird to me but not nearly as weird as other things thy have done.

Personaly as a someone whos main is a Guardian tank i welcome the level increase, hoping maybe they can actualy finish my class now.

I'm sure that by the time level cap raises do come, like probably December, not many will feel it's too early. Too early right now? As in early June? Yes, I agree. :D

He is right, watch the video again. The player characters are all florescent colored, and the monster scene is shown with an "mystical colored" background.

To top it off, the strange asian-inspired masquerade mask-wearing sword fighters certainly did not give me a star wars feeling either.

Ahh, missed that. Like the Voss vision, then. That's not an alternate dimension, though.

As far as things not "feeling" Star Warsy, says who? I realize that's a subjective statement, but we're dealing with an entire IP here that's completely EU, not to mention BW's been given creative license to create new canon, and that everything here has to be approved by LA.

I mean, we're talking about EU, where Darth Krayt's appearance is considered canon.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I love the wording of the youtube video.

First he brags about adding content at a 'rapid' and 'unprecedented' pace, mentioning the speed of 1.1 (which was quick). But then he had to bring up the size of 1.2 because the speed certainly wasn't there. Finally mentions the live event, and finishes with "all of this and more in just under 6 months".

Wait, so what you're saying is you called the content rapid, but go on to mention 2 updates in 6 months? Good stuff.

First he brags about adding content at a 'rapid' and 'unprecedented' pace, mentioning the speed of 1.1 (which was quick). But then he had to bring up the size of 1.2 because the speed certainly wasn't there. Finally mentions the live event, and finishes with "all of this and more in just under 6 months".

Wait, so what you're saying is you called the content rapid, but go on to mention 2 updates in 6 months? Good stuff.

Would you say Rift did pretty good with the speed and quantity of content updates?

I don't think a full flip is necessary for this game. Something like EQ2 is doing (still sub-based, but with a few F2P/RMT servers) is plenty. Best of both worlds.

I agree, that they could get away with a progressive F2P model, upping how far you can go as the level cap increases. I don't expect it however. Also, I do not believe having servers strictly for RMT will ever happen, though the game will eventually have such transactions of course. Pre-launch, when we were already deeply engaged in the "if" this game would go F2P, I recall the arguments by some, for having separate servers for RMT, but they simply won't hold in this post-launch environment. Any such move will be global, otherwise, even with temporary transfers. It would provoke a massively negative reaction from the vast majority not inclined to move.

What I would simply say points back to pre-launch. They bought the industries leading software for managing in-game accounts and RMTs, it was baked into the client years ago. I'm very sure that is the precise means they have to manage the CE owners and security fob owners being able to access "content" (which is what I will call the in-game items.)

2 content updates in 6 months is quite fast actually. WoW still can't seem to do it after all these years. You're lucky if you get 4 updates every 2 years with them ....lol.

Just to be the guy from the other side:

- I don't care about free to play modes, would still play but I rather pay

- I love the new content, the level cap too, and the possibility of new skills for my scrapper

- I love the looks of the new content

- I don't care about the min-maxers and the OMG now my level 50 gear is worthless stuff cause I'll just get new ones

- I like my server: even if I can only play wz-s in the afternoon it's the cool people that have stayed and most of them are pretty skilled enemy side too.

- MAKE LOVE, NOT HATE for the dark side grows strong in ya'll

- Only thing I would really like is more character slots! :D

Edited by Starhugger

2 content updates in 6 months is quite fast actually. WoW still can't seem to do it after all these years. You're lucky if you get 4 updates every 2 years with them ....lol.

LOTRO had two major updates, each larger in scope and content than all of SWTOR's combined. They also have had two festival events and an anniversary event. Likewise, they are already building towards another major update in a month or so, another summer festival, fall festival, and Riders of Rohan just started pre-order tonight. Odds are that goes live in September, just three more months away, and another update before the end of 2012. THAT is a proper update cycle. This game will get there. Just not in 2012.

They had talked about two major updates every six months, smaller updates in between, and a premium update at the end of the year. To be fair, it is a post-launch game, they have bugs, and clearly a heck of a lot more to fix than expected, plus they are having to advance on things intended to stem the fleeing base of players. So whatever the plan was, it isn't that anymore. The last comment that speaks to the changed footing the game is on, is that they have a "plan for the REST of this year."

For my part, its a fun game. I have my guild here, folks will stick around, especially with F2P up to lvl 15. I look forward to seeing what they have built by early 2013.

LOTRO had two major updates, each larger in scope and content than all of SWTOR's combined. They also have had two festival events and an anniversary event. Likewise, they are already building towards another major update in a month or so, another summer festival, fall festival, and Riders of Rohan just started pre-order tonight. Odds are that goes live in September, just three more months away, and another update before the end of 2012. THAT is a proper update cycle. This game will get there. Just not in 2012.

They had talked about two major updates every six months, smaller updates in between, and a premium update at the end of the year. To be fair, it is a post-launch game, they have bugs, and clearly a heck of a lot more to fix than expected, plus they are having to advance on things intended to stem the fleeing base of players. So whatever the plan was, it isn't that anymore. The last comment that speaks to the changed footing the game is on, is that they have a "plan for the REST of this year."

For my part, its a fun game. I have my guild here, folks will stick around, especially with F2P up to lvl 15. I look forward to seeing what they have built by early 2013.

Good idea. Let's compare a new game, fresh outta launch, to a game that's been around for years.

Alternatively, for a closer comparison, look and see what each game has done within the first 6 months.

I don't see the point of raising the cap level. If they give us more skill points that can unbalance a lot of things and after 1.2 I don't have faith with the way they are balancing things.

New planet awesome

New WZ awesome

New race meh

All this new stuff is nice and all but they really need to address the biggest issue, that being server population.

I don't see the point of raising the cap level. If they give us more skill points that can unbalance a lot of things and after 1.2 I don't have faith with the way they are balancing things.

New planet awesome

New WZ awesome

New race meh

All this new stuff is nice and all but they really need to address the biggest issue, that being server population.

Server population has been addressed ad nauseum, is being addressed and fixed in literally weeks, and this announcement are things coming months from now.

Considering how the episodic content for the first 50 levels was structured it would seem to me to be a perfectly logical extension of that existing structure to postulate that the Makeb story & content will tie in to the increased level cap.

The concern for me is that by raising the level cap the prior existing raid content becomes trivialised, and without a whole new set of raids (only 1 being mentioned in conjunction with the level cap raise announcement) that is a concern.

The "new nightmare difficulty mode" may well aim to bring all of the existing raid content along to the increased level cap by having a new structure where all the former raids are given this new difficulty along with a corresponding gear set but then what is the point of new content if you can just gear up on raids you already know?

Hopefully the new set of raids have enough events within them to serve as a new raid tier, the old raids will be relegated to the "doable by casuals now due to the increased level cap". But when you take into account that all of EV+KP sort of sits as raiding tier 1, Denova as 1.5, Terror from Beyond will fit in as 2.0/3.0 .

Edited by SkuzBukit

Some of you are hilarious. lol! So... lets see... Bioware, assuming they deliver, is giving you what you wanted: transfers, lfg, new characters, missions and, presumably, improved rewards with the new cap. But somehow... that is not good enough. And... some are already threatening to unsub. lol!

I think some of you need to re-examine why you are really here; why you seek validation on the boards if you are, inevitably, going to unsub. And for a few of you... why you keep coming back here if you have already unsubbed.

I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones.

Edited by Rafaman

A real shame we probably will have to pay for the new content.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw6sp6dpJKRcaDdKTHFnQlp6Wjg/edit?pli=1

Looks more like they are slowly moving to free to play.

See that's the problem with subscriptions to begin with.

They get a steady flow of income.

F2P with content updates would bring much more content and faster.

Because they have to work a bit harder for the money.

I don't see why it's a shame.

Especially the survey time stamped 22/05/2012 10:31.

9.99 for an expansion which you get 90 days FREE?

Sounds like that's more than worth the money.

Free to play with low priced updates like this. I see not where this could go wrong?

I'd actually rather pay for things like this than pay a monthly subscription.

Considering how the episodic content for the first 50 levels was structured it would seem to me to be a perfectly logical extension of that existing structure to postulate that the Makeb story & content will tie in to the increased level cap.

The concern for me is that by raising the level cap the prior existing raid content becomes trivialised, and without a whole new set of raids (only 1 being mentioned in conjunction with the level cap raise announcement) that is a concern.

The "new nightmare difficulty mode" may well aim to bring all of the existing raid content along to the increased level cap by having a new structure where all the former raids are given this new difficulty along with a corresponding gear set but then what is the point of new content if you can just gear up on raids you already know?

Hopefully the new set of raids have enough events within them to serve as a new raid tier, the old raids will be relegated to the "doable by casuals now due to the increased level cap". But when you take into account that all of EV+KP sort of sits as raiding tier 1, Denova as 1.5, Terror from Beyond will fit in as 2.0/3.0 .

What if the raise in level is from 50 to 52? Or 54? How is that trivializing anything when our gear is already 54 and 56?