Massive E3 Announcement on Monday

Frankt

How many copies of WOW have been bought? I would not be surprised if the number is around 25 million. This is the life of each and every MMO and any video game for that matter. They are the next great thing for 2 or 3 months and then on to the next great thing.

So you're telling me that people will leave even if the game was everything they wanted and more? Just because?

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does WoW matter? I can't stand that game, so your premise that I'd use it as an objective comparison to anything is silly.

1.1 million people did not subscribe or continue to subscribe to SWTOR--from a total of 2.4 million box sales, a figure used to provide a basis for comparison here, in SWTOR.

WoW not used as an objective touchstone?? Really?! Amazing.... /facepalm

So you're willing to believe one Bioware report and not the other?

Also every situation is different. You don't know why many people have left. For greener pastures? Well I was around on these forums during launch. I played until January and cancelled my sub.

It wasn't because I was leaving for greener pastures. It's because my computer broke and I had no way to play SWTOR or any MMO. I was included in that 1.1 million that left and when I finally got a new machine to play the game I happily resubbed.

There are many many people who just enjoy the thrill of launch day. They leave and a lot of times say "I'll be back next year to see where the game has gone."

Not everyone of those that have left are players are ones who think the game sucks.

I didn't say every one of them left because they thought the game sucks.

WoW not used as an objective touchstone?? Really?! Amazing.... /facepalm

I. Let me emphasize it again for you: I won't use WoW as an objective comparison because it's moot. I'm measuring SWTOR against it's own success.

But you sure do imply it every time you say something like this again...

So you're telling me that people will leave even if the game was everything they wanted and more? Just because?

What does WoW matter? I can't stand that game, so your premise that I'd use it as an objective comparison to anything is silly.

1.1 million people did not subscribe or continue to subscribe to SWTOR--from a total of 2.4 million box sales, a figure used to provide a basis for comparison here, in SWTOR.

the idea is that just because millions of people have bought the game but are not currently playing it doesn't mean the game is a failure.

The sub numbers will always fluctuate. My money is the subs holding steady around 750k to 1.1 million for a while. If they add some really amazing things like playable Wookies, Assasin Droids or some type of X-wing vs Tie Fighter space combat then the subs will rise.

So you're willing to believe one Bioware report and not the other?

Also every situation is different. You don't know why many people have left. For greener pastures? Well I was around on these forums during launch. I played until January and cancelled my sub.

It wasn't because I was leaving for greener pastures. It's because my computer broke and I had no way to play SWTOR or any MMO. I was included in that 1.1 million that left and when I finally got a new machine to play the game I happily resubbed.

There are many many people who just enjoy the thrill of launch day. They leave and a lot of times say "I'll be back next year to see where the game has gone."

Not everyone of those that have left are players are ones who think the game sucks.

Box sales are a concrete figure; they either sold the box or they didn't. Subscriptions require "fuzzy math" and are difficult to measure by BioWare's (or was it EA) own admission. That's why I believe them when they say 2.4 million boxes sold, but have a hard time believing 1.3 million subscriptions (no matter which way that number falls).

Edited by Dezzi

You can't consider box sales to represent the number of PEOPLE that brought SWTOR.

Some people have 2 or 3 accounts cause thats howe many they need so they can experience every romance ark on one server.

For example.

Just as no farmer can plant a crop large enough to withstand the ravages of a swarm of locusts, so no developer will ever make a game with enough to withstand the Content Locusts. It will always result in a Subscription Drop.

I keep linking that article, but have seen no indication that you're even reading it...

Well every one of them may not have left because the game "sucks" , but alot of them left because they did not like the game.

The arguement that the mass exodus from this game was caused by peoples computers breaking and rl issues is truely hilarious.

But you sure do imply it every time you say something like this again...

I really don't have the patience to teach you what a hypothetical is, so I'll pass you off to examples found on the internet. In terms of this specific discussion, I'm trying to understand this mentality that people leave a game just because...

People don't do things for no reason at all. You're all trying to tell me that even if a game provided incentives for gamers of all types to stay (a game that appeals to roleplayers, PvE, PvP, and everything in between), they'd leave.

I simply don't buy that.

EA suit talking $$$$$$

BTW anyone remember last year how bad the rep from swtor was.Pretty sure they will not bring up swtor at all.

And i hate those noise videos they show on stage to try and get people to but those crappy singel player xbox

games(dum down gaming)

I. Let me emphasize it again for you: I won't use WoW as an objective comparison because it's moot. I'm measuring SWTOR against it's own success.

I'm just saying that if you consider TOR a failure due to the difference between 2.4 million and 1.3 million, then it stands to reason that one must also consider WoW a failure due to the difference between 8.6 million and 4.5 million.

Thus, if one takes this stance with TOR, then it also stands to reason that this person will never consider any MMO a success.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Just as no farmer can plant a crop large enough to withstand the ravages of a swarm of locusts, so no developer will ever make a game with enough to withstand the Content Locusts. It will always result in a Subscription Drop.

I keep linking that article, but have seen no indication that you're even reading it...

So you're now arguing that the largest portion of 1.1 million people no longer playing SWTOR don't do so because they're content locusts?

How many copies of WOW have been bought? I would not be surprised if the number is around 25 million. This is the life of each and every MMO and any video game for that matter. They are the next great thing for 2 or 3 months and then on to the next great thing.

Holy smokes, it's Stormnut. Haven't seen you since the old "Release Date Speculation Thread". The October 2011 Bandwagon Vs. The November 2011 Hover-train. Who woulda guessed they'd wait till December 20th?....lol.

Ahhh.... the good old' days. :cool:

You can't consider box sales to represent the number of PEOPLE that brought SWTOR.

Some people have 2 or 3 accounts cause thats howe many they need so they can experience every romance ark on one server.

For example.

If one person is paying for 5 subs, thats 5 subs. Its the 15 bucks a month that matters to investors and EA. not the number of individuals owning accounts or free accounts/trials.

I'm just saying that if you consider TOR a failure due to the difference between 2.4 million and 1.3 million, then it stands to reason that one must also consider WoW a failure due to the difference between 8.6 million and 4.5 million.

Thus, if one takes this stance with TOR, then it also stands to reason that this person will never consider any MMO a success.

I don't consider it a failure. That's where your assumptions derailed this entire discussion.

the idea is that just because millions of people have bought the game but are not currently playing it doesn't mean the game is a failure.

The sub numbers will always fluctuate. My money is the subs holding steady around 750k to 1.1 million for a while. If they add some really amazing things like playable Wookies, Assasin Droids or some type of X-wing vs Tie Fighter space combat then the subs will rise.

QFT.

Sub numbers always flunctuate even for WOW. There is always a consistent base of players that play the game though and looking at SWTOR...if the base is that large (Bioware's recent reports indicate it may be) then that means it is one of the more successful MMOs right behind WOW and competing mostly against Rift.

If they do some big things then the subs will go up again and then likely fall again when people tire of whatever content was in the EP.

Edited by Crash-X

So you're now arguing that the largest portion of 1.1 million people no longer playing SWTOR don't do so because they're content locusts?

Absolutely. It's one of the biggest complaints. The content that is here is too easy, thus done too quickly, thus all the posts that there is "nothing" to do at 50. They unsub.

If one person is paying for 5 subs, thats 5 subs. Its the 15 bucks a month that matters to investors and EA. not the number of individuals owning accounts or free accounts/trials.

It's 5 subs, but only 1 subscriber.