No wonder terrible perfonce on high end systems

Razdek

I was looking at the usage of the cores on my quad core process an swtor is only using a single core....

I can barely get above 15 frames per second half the time with specs that are above the recommended!!! Please tell me these issues are going to be fixed in 1.3

I was looking at the usage of the cores on my quad core process an swtor is only using a single core....

I can barely get above 15 frames per second half the time with specs that are above the recommended!!! Please tell me these issues are going to be fixed in 1.3

Not saying your problems aren't caused by a bug. But I'm getting the impression that you haven't gone thru the numerous threads on how to properly configure your system and game. Have you turned shadows off?

Also how do you know swtor is only using one processor? It shouldn't be. Windows in and of itself doesn't provide information on how processes use cpu cores only the process's tolal cpu usage. Windows does show usage of every core. In my cause while running the game all processors are being used. Are they all being used by the game? That I am unsure about.

I love how people think that the more cores that they have, the higher end their system is. Yeah, SWTOR is single-threaded, but that doesn't mean it is automatically going to run like crap on multi-core machines.

When it comes down to it, your cores suck, brah.

Edited by Anomorn

Checked my system out of interest and SW:TOR.exe is using all 4 cores and at 60% load. So I don't what's different about your setup.

I've always had good performance and make sure to keep my OS as clean as possible.

Google CPU core parking and how to disable it. That should help you vastly.

Also, I presume you're using at least Vista or Windows 7? If you're using XP, you won't be getting full use out of a quad core system, if memory serves.

SWTOR has no issues running across several of my cores on my ageing Phenom II X4 940.

SWTOR only uses effectively 2 Cores. It looks like more, because the os shuffles the threads from core to core.

Its easy to prove, if you use advanced tools to monitor app behavior ( eg processexplorer ). If you look at both processes 'swtor.exe', each process has one thread that does the heavy lifting, witch consumes its full cpu cycles most of the time, the other threads remain almost idle.

If you're using XP, you won't be getting full use out of a quad core system, if memory serves.

Not really accurate. The OS itself will only use the first core but any applications on XP can make full use of a quad core. It's been like this in windows for ages. This worked the same for windows 2000 and a dual processor system. Unless you ran software like Adobe Photoshop, you probably weren't making use of your extra processors or cores.

Not really accurate. The OS itself will only use the first core but any applications on XP can make full use of a quad core. It's been like this in windows for ages. This worked the same for windows 2000 and a dual processor system. Unless you ran software like Adobe Photoshop, you probably weren't making use of your extra processors or cores.

I believe this has changed in Vista and Win7.

I guess you missed you the memo on technology that software has not caught up to hardware yet. Over 90% of all apps are still single core only.

If you look at software in general, 60% is more likely (even web browsers are multithreaded).

And for games, since xbox 360 and ps3, multithreaded is common and not an exception.

the funny thing is,people have been posting this since the first day the game launched. has bioware done anything about it?

I guess you missed you the memo on technology that software has not caught up to hardware yet. Over 90% of all apps are still single core only.

Single thread maybe, but certainly not single core, 1 thread can still utilise 4 cores efficiently.

To OP, it would be helpful if you told us what CPU you have, make sure you have hyperthreading enabled.

Start > Search type "msconfig.exe" > open as admin > boot tab > advanced options > tick number of processors and you'll see a dropdown menu > select 4 > restart.

Also a post of you dxdiag would be helpful.

Single thread maybe, but certainly not single core, 1 thread can still utilise 4 cores efficiently.

No it can't. The OS may shuffle the thread around, but it does not increases the effective usage at all, because one thread can only run on only one core at a time.

No it can't. The OS may shuffle the thread around, but it does not increases the effective usage at all, because one thread can only run on only one core at a time.

That's what I meant, it will still use all cores and not stick to a single core.

Edited by DiabloDoom

Start > Search type "msconfig.exe" > open as admin > boot tab > advanced options > tick number of processors and you'll see a dropdown menu > select 4 > restart.

This will change nothing, because the os will detect the number of cores available and this setting only affects the boot process, later on the os will use all cores. this setting only exists for testing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.