The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

YOU OWE ME A KEYBOARD (soaked with Diet Coke)! GAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA!

I'm secretly in the crack fic business because I hate keyboards. I hate all people's keyboards. XD

It's just a short that came to mind when talking to some people in the IRC. I fully blame bright_ for the name.

Fino, you have a habit of making me sound like I'm an endless fountain of bad ideas that may at any moment sweep the situation into total nonsense. :rolleyes: Slander, I tell you! Slander!

I have no idea what "Dallas'ed" means, but I assume it's a good thing. :D

haha! It's a reference to the '80s TV show Dallas, which infamously (TOTAL SPOILER WARNING)

declared an entire season to be a dream so they could just ignore its events and do something different.

Now my brain uses it as a verb for "the act of declaring an event, particularly an extremely dramatic one, to have been a dream." It can be used with...varying degrees of narrative integrity XD I like yours.

I read a part in the Book of Lies (aka the SW:tOR Encyclopedia) ...

Curious, why do you call SW:tOR Encyclopedia the Book of Lies? I don't have it so I don't know its content, but I've read reviews in this forum and I thought people liked it?

Edited by Soteirian

Curious, why do you call SW:tOR Encyclopedia the Book of Lies? I don't have it so I don't know its content, but I've read reviews in this forum and I thought people liked it?

It says Talos Drellik is 27. Lies D:<

There's what Tatile said and just missing information. Like Watcher Two's name is "unverified", but she tells you her first name and you can find out her last name from another source in-game. Someone tried to argue that they're not trying to be "spoilery", however, this is an encyclopedia, it's supposed to be comprehensive, spoilers are implied.

But, seriously, most of the companion ages were drawn out of a hat of numbers. There's no way in hell Talos Drellik is 27. His voice, his face, his mannerisms all scream middle-age.

Just... annoying. [/rant]

Edited by irishfino

@irishfino

I see. That's disappointing. I saw some good reviews on the book and thought perhaps it's a worthy companion for the game. Guess not.

Apparently it does have some really good background information, just some of it is a bit questionable. I get the feeling it either wasn't edited properly or was edited by someone with less knowledge of the game than we would have liked.

Apparently it does have some really good background information, just some of it is a bit questionable. I get the feeling it either wasn't edited properly or was edited by someone with less knowledge of the game than we would have liked.

Make sense. Perhaps they will have an updated edition with corrected info. Personally I am waiting for digital version, like on Kindle or something (I try not to buy books on paper anymore). I hope by the time that comes out there will be corrections.

Thank you both for the info.

Edited by Soteirian

Not to sidetrack the book review (personally I’d hoped it was going to be an online resource since the HoloNet entries for the game species and such were pruned and then migrated to the character creation screen).

Prompt: Best Day, with a small side order of Xenobiology

Characters: Kirya Bilali (smuggler) and Corso Riggs

Title: Falling

Spoilers for Corso romance, dialog especially. No main smuggler story spoilers.

For chronology purposes, this occurs in Kirya’s story prior to An Awkward Reunion. Sometime in early-middle Smuggler Act 2; I don’t have that timeframe filled out all that specifically for Kirya.

Kirya inhaled the sweet yellow wine’s bouquet and nestled up to Corso, enjoying the warm feel of his skin. He kissed her shoulder, “I wish it could be like this forever,” he said, taking a sip of the wine.

She shifted to her back, looking up at him, her head resting on his left arm, “In bed with a Twi’lek woman?” a mischievous grin on her face, “I can imagine.”

He drained his glass and reached over her to set it on the tray beside the bottle, “No, with you,” he said, resting his hand gently on her ribs, “until we’re both old and grey.”

Tears filled her eyes, and Kirya blinked them away. Corso was hopelessly in love. She could tell by the look on his face. She’d seen it in the mirror once. Long ago, when she was too dumb to know better. Corso was nice. Corso was sincere. Corso was supposed to be a fling, nothing more.

She drank off the rest of her wine as well, and held the glass tight to her chest. She knew Corso was looking at her, but she couldn’t bear to meet his gaze, “Twi’lek women don’t go grey, you know,” she said, holding the tremor out of her voice, “we just get all wrinkly and saggy.”

Corso leaned over her so she couldn’t avoid him. He moved his hand up into more intimate territory, “Until we’re both all wrinkly and saggy, then.”

She knew he was much more than just a fling. Had been for some time now. Kirya let go the glass and reached around the back of his head. She grasped a handful of his thick, ropy hair and pulled him down to her. She kissed him, tasting the sweet wine on his lips and mouth. Corso returned her kiss eagerly, his one arm still beneath her head and the other laid loose on her body. She broke the kiss with a gasp, “I can think of better things to do with those lips than talk.”

I hit the hair thing harder (and more silly) over in the AU thread.

@ Bright: I like Colran trying to figure out the Jedi’s ulterior motives. If she has any, he’d never guess at them. Niselle-Nalenne trading hair-removal cream? Awesome sister prank.

And Rixik <3<3<3 the part where he just knew the security guy was there was great though I really thought you were going to turn it into a mastercard commercial at the end... priceless.

I wrote it with the mastercard ending, then edited it out. I didn’t want the whole thing to be a setup for the commercial (even though the parodies of those commercials make me laugh). That, and I wanted to suggest that Rixik deliberately played the barbarian/low-class buffoon, which I suppose makes it more a riff on the Capital One ads.

Xenobiology: Doc's Favorite Research

Remi

Takes place just after Jedi Knight Hoth, spoiler for names and the companion you get but not the actual story.

Doc whistled happily in the nice warm medical bay. Sure, he had to feign illness to get Remi to send him back, but Kira needed practice using the Force to stay warm. The two Jedi completed their mission and contacted him to say they would be bringing a new crewmember on board. Doc smiled to himself as he paged through his favorite kind of research. That other Jedi, Leeha, was pretty. A little obsessed with her droids, she’s almost as bad as Remi with T7. He continued reading, making notations on the anatomy diagrams in his datapad. He did not notice Remi walk up behind him.

“Doc?” Remi tapped his shoulder not wanting to interrupt him. “What are you doing?” She tilted her head at the doctor who jumped in the air when he realized he was no longer alone.

“Research! That’s all.” He said a little too loudly, standing in front of the display panel.

“I don’t want you hiding your research, Doc.” She gave him a look both warning and knowing. He cursed himself for being untrustworthy all the time.

“It’s nothing illegal! I’m just brushing up on the anatomy of our newest crewmember.” He turned and noticed the newest crewmember was not a Nautolan Jedi but a Chagrian soldier. He tapped the display quickly to change the species he was researching.

Remi smiled appreciatively. “Good thinking Doc.” Her eyes drifted to the display, she glanced at the data then took a closer look. “Sexual health and satisfaction of the Chagrian species?”

Doc plastered on a smile, “I’m thorough, I have to make sure I know everything about the particulars of every species that joins our crew.”

“Sir,” Sergeant Rusk volunteered, “I can assure you I am operating at one hundred percent, sir.”

Remi’s eyes flickered between the two of them. Kira covered her mouth with one hand and indicated she was leaving with the other. “Well,” Remi said finally, “I’m going to report to the Council, I’ll just leave you to your research then.” Remi headed back up to the common area to use the holo-terminal.

“Right, um Sergeant.” Doc said too casually, “I’m going to need to give you a physical examination.”

The Chagrian did not move, but Doc had the distinct impression that he was ready to go for the assault cannon strapped to his back, the Sergeant met his eyes, “That won’t be necessary... Sir.”

@Striges Awww... it's so funny how I actually want Kirya to end up with Corso and Rixik :D (AU Rixik... definitely AU Rixik)

He was once a dashing young man, hunting large game on Dromund Kaas and partying all hours of the night. They had a whirlwind romance and then Sylvia decided she wanted his land and material wealth and Grigor wanted Sith children. They just became more honest about it as they got older (and he let himself go).

@Tatile Yay, thanks! I love how you have all those details even if you haven't written them out yet :)

Edited by kabeone

“Right, um Sergeant.” Doc said too casually, “I’m going to need to give you a physical examination.”

The Chagrian did not move, but Doc had the distinct impression that he was ready to go for the assault cannon strapped to his back, the Sergeant met his eyes, “That won’t be necessary... Sir.”

[/Quote]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :mon_trap:

Edited by Adwynyth

@ Striges-- you captured it beautifully. Your smuggler thinks she's fine, she's in control, then realizes that she's already fallen off the precipice with no rope. Happened to Miriah, too. Corso's good at that.

@Bright-- lol the two sisters one-upping each other is priceless! Wonder who's going for the super glue first? Also loved Colran's piece.

@Kabe-- I still don't really know how to take Doc, but you sure make him funny!

Prompt: Xenobiology (well not really but for some men, women are like a different species)

Character- Rissa Sith Sorcerer: well after Act 3 No spoilers (well other than Companion relationships)

Rissa stumbled from the refresher, hand over mouth, reeling a bit dizzily.

Talos caught her by the elbow to steady her. “my lord, are you alright? I am a bit concerned. I know I am functioning as acting medical officer but I can't figure out what is wrong with you. I have noticed you have been suffering from excessive regurgitation lately, sleeping a great deal more than normal,and not enjoying your favorite foods as you used to.” He placed his hand against her forehead to check for a fever.

He got a far away look in his eye as he mentally calculated. “ I know we have visited several exotic locals, but I think I can rule out Corellian Tanamen Fever, hmm no appetite therfore not likely Cardoone Chills. Could be a variant of Tastiged Flu.”

By this point Rissa had dissolved into silent laughter.

“Oh my Lord! Are you convulsing?” Talos' voice was edging into panic. Not attending to his Sith's lords health could be a serious detriment to his health.

Whooping with laughter now and with tears running down her face,Rissa leaned against the wall, while Talos stared at her,both puzzled and worried.

“Talos” she finally choked out” you don't know very much about women and well things that women deal with, do you?”

“Well” he started, less panicked but still puzzled” for my duties as the acting medical officer I have studied many of the diseases that may affect the crew for the areas we have visited, and in the course of my duties in Imperial Reclamation Services I have seen the results of how many diseases have affected prior civilizations and colonies.”

“Ah yes” she smiled,wiping the tears from her eyes” how about the symptoms for early pregnancy for human women?”

“Fatigue,nausea, food aversions,frequent urination,missed mens....”his voice trailed off “Oh I see” Then he smiled broadly at her “Congratulations my lord. May I at least help with some anti-nausea medications?”

“I'm okay right now Talos, but lets keep this between us. I haven't told Andronikos yet”

“You can count on my discretion my Lord”

Prompt: Best Day Ever – continued from Xenobiology

Now that someone knew her little secret,she figured she better tell her husband. He really had been wanting kids. She was surprised he had even brought it up first. They had been trying for a long time and had begun to think it wasn't going to happen. He kept thinking it was because he was so much older than her, or because he had been exposed to too much radiation in his life. She worried it had been because her body had been though so much traumatic damage on more than one occasion. It was such big news she wanted to tell him in a special way. First she had to find him.

She headed towards the ships bridge as he usually could be found manually piloting the ship or at least watching the stars and triple checking the navigation computer. To her surprise she found Ashara there in the pilots chair.

“My lord” Ashara politely greeted the Sith “Andronikos followed through on his offer to teach me to pilot the ship” Her voice then dropped into a conspiratorial whisper” Have you told him yet?”

She looked at Ashara startled.

“I sensed the baby already” she smiled “Unlike dueling I wasn't the best in my class at that, but I was pretty good at reading auras”

“shhhhh, no, I am looking for him.” In a fit of sentimentality (probably brought on by hormones) she continued. “ever since we decided we wanted kids I always imagined how I would tell him. We would go to our favorite spot, that place in the middle of nowhere,just surrounded by stars. I would sit in his lap and look deep into his eyes and tell him how our dreams have finally come true”

“Oh that sound so, um, sweet my lord. My lips are sealed. I think he went to the engine room to inspect them. He heard a funny sound”

Rissa headed back towards the engine compartment. As she passed Xalek, he stopped her with a hand on her arm, “Yes?” She turned to him He so seldom talked when it did it was usually very important.

“Congratulations, Lord”

She blinked and then growled in frustration. “Stars! Does everyone know? Did Talos or Ashara say something?”

Xalek tapped the mask about where his nose was. “I could smell the difference in you, your pheromones have changed”

“Well so much for my husband being the first to know” She sighed “I better find him before someone spills the beans”

Entering the engine compartment, she found him hard at work,head buried in one of the compartments. Sparks and foul language flew out equally from the opening.

“I need to talk to you” she shouted over the noise.

“Can't babe, those frakin techs at the last stop didn't replace this piece and now I don' think we can make another jump into hyperspace til I fix it.” This was followed by more banging and cursing.

Knowing it was only a matter of time before someone spoiled her surprise and seeing her plan crumble she burst into tears. Hormones again probably, she was not normally a crier. And that's what got Andronikos' attention.

“What in the galaxy is wrong with you Sith?” he demanded.

“I AM PREGNANT!!!” she screamed at him between sobs. Before she could take another breath she was swept up in his arms.

“Really? A baby?” He smiled down at her.

“this is not how I wanted to tell you” she hiccuped between sobs. “I had a plan”

“Doesn't matter babe, you just made this the best day ever” was his reply.

Had to do a little research on this. Had fun finding "diseases" for the Star Wars Universe and also found that Xaleks species has a strong olfactory ability and sensitivity to pheromones

Edited by Irrissa

Xenobiology: Doc's Favorite Research

Remi smiled appreciatively. “Good thinking Doc.” Her eyes drifted to the display, she glanced at the data then took a closer look. “Sexual health and satisfaction of the Chagrian species?”

Doc plastered on a smile, “I’m thorough, I have to make sure I know everything about the particulars of every species that joins our crew.”

“Sir,” Sergeant Rusk volunteered, “I can assure you I am operating at one hundred percent, sir.”

Now there's an awkward moment all around...and I now need a new cup of coffee. I can only imagine how Doc and Rusk get along later.

@ Irrissa: I love the way you wrote Talos. Especially that he's supposed to be your healer, but he's not introduced as a healer. So of course he does research. That and the "secret" that wasn't. :D

Best Day Ever, starring A'tro. 475 words. No class story spoilers, although it does contain the usual major spoilers for my fic, "Afterimages." It also contains some sads. Just warning everyone in advance... :rolleyes:

Aboard the Fury-class starship Alecto

17 ATC

It took more than a day in hyperspace to travel from Dromund Kaas to Alderaan.

The day immediately preceding A’tro’s arrival was an uneventful one. She kept herself busy making preparations for whatever was to come once she reached the planet. Recharging her lightsabers, polishing a few dents out of her armor—nothing special. Just routine.

Quinn kept an eye on the bridge consoles, recalibrated his blaster, and packed a medkit. A’tro made small excuses to go talk to him, as she had always done. It was easier now than it had been before; after five years together, they had a better understanding of how each other’s minds worked. Not a perfect understanding, not by any means, but a better one.

When the ship’s day cycle ended and the interior lights dimmed in a pale simulation of the night outside the hull, she lay dozing in bed beside him. She took comfort in his presence, never once imagining that in only a few hours it would be gone forever. Her name on his lips as he whispered that he loved her was the last thing she heard before sleeping, and the first sound that greeted her upon awakening.

And then they landed on Alderaan, and A’tro left to meet with K’saria. And then it was over.

Looking back, A’tro couldn’t help but wonder what would have happened if she had known that day what lurked just ahead around the corner of time. Would she have done things differently if she had known that was the last day that she would ever see Quinn alive?

Would she have tried to break from routine, made some gesture to show him how much she really cared for him? Would she have held him in her arms that night and told him all the little things that she had never said, but always held within her heart? Would that last “I love you” have been more sweet or more painful knowing that there would never be another?

If she had known, if only she had known, would it have made a difference?

It had been just another day when she was living it. Only after did she realize what a blessing it had been. Perhaps it had been just another day, but she had been happy, then. It was a day that was only special after the fact, and looking back on its ordinary simplicity was almost comforting to her.

No, it was no ordinary day. It was the last day that she had shared with him, before continuing on alone into the dark and uncertain future. She could feel its remembered light shining steadily behind her, reminding her equally of the happiness she had once had, and how easily it had all been taken away.

It had been a good day.

Xenobiology: All about awkward sex. :D Oh, Talos, how I love you.

I'm on a snuggly-overload kick. And Sith Warrior overload as always. I think poor Quinn has

died four times so far this week in the two short fic threads,

so I'm going to try something novel and make a mutual, minimally horrible Best Day Ever for him and Ruth. SW class spoilers herein. 900 words.

post - Act 2

"Major Ovech called this afternoon to confirm," Quinn reported. "The operation was a complete success; cleanup went through without a hitch."

Ruth beamed. "Excellent. I'm glad I was able to help. And if he wants a strong arm again, you know where to find me. The time I spend on Sith politicking is valuable, but...I prefer to be making a difference against the real enemy."

"And you do, my lord. Thank you."

They walked side by side but at a respectable distance on the way back to their quarters. "The more I look at the sheer scope of this conflict," said Ruth, "the harder it is to see how we're going to bring it to a close. If they hadn't built up such defenses so quickly I would say we should just swarm Coruscant again and end it this time."

"As we should have the first time," said Quinn. "That avenue may be closed now, but a few decisive actions elsewhere may make as much difference as the Coruscant offensive did."

"And then, peace. Darth Baras should just figure out where to point me so I can end it. It's a waste of lives, drawing out a slow war when you have the weapons in hand."

Quinn triggered the door open and stood aside to let Ruth pass. "If you intend to singlehandedly storm Coruscant, my lord, I must advise against it."

"Not singlehandedly. You'll be there. That makes all the difference."

The door fell shut. Quinn smiled helplessly and here, at last, took her in his arms. "I'm grateful to have such a partner in you."

"And I in you." She looked up into his eyes. "I mean it. The way we work together, the things we're working for. Everything. The way you kiss me." She smiled impishly. "The way you immediately fluster."

"I'm glad I amuse you, my lord," he said in his most tolerant voice.

"You should be. You should be very very glad."

"I am." He pulled away from her a tiny bit. "To tell the truth, I'm falling in love with you."

Ruth's eyes widened as she studied his face. He looked precisely as earnest and steady as always. He also looked a little happy and a lot questioning.

"Glad you could finally join me," she said. "I love you, too." She kissed him. Then she kissed him again. "No one's ever told me that before." She laughed and looked away, smiling sheepishly. "I must sound like such a child."

"No. You sound like you."

"You like Commander Sith-me better." She arched an eyebrow and used an exaggerated commanding tone. "I accept your tribute, captain. Of course you owe me as my due: your love, your respect, your many and various skills and services, your body, your lunch money - "

"They're yours," he said quietly, smiling.

Ruth's affectation dropped. "...I just completely lost my train of thought."

Some time later he paused, and nuzzled her neck, and contracted his brow for no obvious reason. "I wish we could make this day last forever."

She backed off enough to eye him thoughtfully. "I didn't think you went in for wishful thinking, Quinn. We're much more the 'make it happen' types. So we'll just have to work out how to stop time before the day's out." She looked over at the console. "My chrono says we have two hours and ten minutes. Go."

Rather than take any steps toward figuring out the mysteries of temporal manipulation, Quinn swept her up and made for the bed.

"What are you doing?" she asked, laughing.

"Everything I can, Ruth."

Thirty-seven minutes later - and Quinn cursed the dispassionate awareness that would never soften that count into heartbeats or breaths, could never extend its experience a moment past its allotment - he lay with a sleepy Ruth's head resting on his chest and he played the morning's holocall report over in his head.

"Captain Quinn, I am anxious to know what my apprentice has been up to. Is she still busy with side tasks?"

"Yes, and she is most enthusiastic about the odd jobs, my lord. Her loyalty to you is unquestionable; she brings up your name more than I do in laying plans."

"And grows more dangerous with every plan she executes."

"My lord, she is far too busy with patriotic volunteering to build her own support among the Sith."

"But she is earning military sympathy with your projects."

"That is routed exclusively through me, my lord. Her military contacts will not act against you if a conflict should arise. She thinks she's sharing credit; in truth, with a word from you I can stay their hand."

"I see. She is most fortunate to have such a safe sidetrack between tasks for me. Even her most irrelevant victories do contribute to my glory. And you are proving resourceful in keeping her occupied there. She may not become a threat for some time yet. You had better be ready when the day comes, Quinn. But that day is not today."

Quinn stroked Ruth's hair until she slid a hand up and clasped his fingers in hers. Then he tried to relax into sleep. If staying awake could stop the rest of it from happening, he would have kept himself alert forever; as it was, he would need the rest.

At least he had won her one more day. And she had chosen to spend it with him.

In spite of the heartache, he fell asleep smiling.

Notes: (Edited final story line and notes at 4:28 PM EST.)

I shut out his perspective hardcore in Ruth Means Compassion, but something has to be going through that man's head while he's doing the romance line with an excessively impatient player character. Ruth just didn't understand whatever signs he gave. Even if she had known to look, she wouldn't have wanted to.

I always sort of liked trying to step through Quinn's crystalline clockwork mind - it seems so concrete, so direct, uncontaminated by sentiment or personal sensitivity or confusing abstractions or most ethics. Even when he's feeling something he has to place it in the system before he can let it affect his decisions.

I imagine the optimization problem of keeping Ruth in Baras's good graces would be, though tremendously dangerous, tremendously rewarding. Must think through a) doing good for the Empire and b) making Ruth happy while c) making sure Baras remembers she's useful but d) not raising her threat profile too high. While, um, e) dealing with the fact that Ruth's also an independent person who doesn't need babysitting. A day where all conditions are met? Kick***.

Edited by bright_ephemera
typos

Xenobiology, with Meenah (and Khem, Ashara, and Andronikos). No spoilers, but...plenty of picking on Khem.

"Tell me, Khem," I said, flipping languidly through a datapad. "Exactly how did it work when you and Tulak Hord became intimate?"

It was one of those lazy afternoons where no one felt like doing much of anything but gathering in the ship's main room and chatting idly, all engaged in our own small pursuits. It was a good way to waste a day, until Khem Val appeared and informed us that Tulak Hord would never have indulged his laziness in this manner.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Ashara's eyes widen in a mix of amusement and fear. I continued. "I'm simply wondering, because I really don't know how two species that are so very different could enjoy physical intimacy. I mean, it's quite clear you were more than friends..."

"Do not insult the memory of the great Tulak Hord, little Sith," Khem said.

I ignored him. "Of course, I think it's a little unhealthy for you to remain so hung up on him after all this time; you know, plenty of other fish in the sea and all that."

Ashara's jaw dropped, and I heard her make a sort of strangled gasping sound, like she was trying to say something but was too scared to say it. I glanced over at Andronikos, who was pointedly ignoring the entire conversation - but I could tell he was fighting the urge to laugh. I was glad; I missed being an entertainer, I missed the spotlight. I missed being appreciated for my skills and not some raw martial power I didn't even really want.

"I was never subject to such abuse when I served Tulak Hord," Khem complained, which sounded just as monotonous as everything else he said.

"Oh, come now. I know some people don't understand your love, but I won't judge you. I think it's beautiful." The sarcasm was palpable.

"Little Sith, take care that I do not --"

"Yes, yes, devour me," I said, waving a hand at him. "I've told you so many times, Khem, I'm truly flattered but I just don't feel that way about you. You really have a hard time moving on, don't you?"

Khem pointed one of his clawed fingers at me. "Strange little Sith, I cannot decipher your modes of humor. But you should respect the legacy of Tulak Hord and his Shadow Killer." He stalked off, probably going to one of his Brooding Spots - he had many of them where he liked to sit and probably daydream about Tulak Hord miraculously coming back and saving him from Meenah the Horrible Red Twi'lek Sith.

I went back to my datapad, playing with the end of one of my lekku. Ashara leaned close to me and hissed, "Are you insane?"

"Everyone here is insane," I said. "Welcome to the party."

Edited by elliotcat