The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Bright, fan of Escher Girls by any chance? :p

I had never heard of that particular Tumblr, but that could be my source of infinite Scarlet Nexu inspiration forever. Forever.

She is at once the least direct comic transplant into Nalenne's world (I haven't intentionally pulled anything about her from any specific real-comics character) and...sadly...the most representative one.

Yes, it's unfortunately a well known fact that the majority of comic book artists have no idea how female anatomy works and lately that has started to expand almost exponentially into male anatomy as well, it's just slightly less noticeable as men don't have curves and are less likely to be involved in twirly, flippy, interpretive dance-fights.

Bright, the Teachers story was so Vierce! I can't really explain how much I love him, except being in a military family I think you've captured that dynamic wonderfully. And Nalenne always makes me smile.

Irishinfo, you have incorporated Quinn's family to help us understand him, and it does explain him a bit. While not a Quinn fan, I do love to read your stories.

iamnotawitch, the nexu story was exquisite. The very live or die dynamic is the same for both, but only one tries to reason it out. Well done!

Kabe, always love more Remi background. I can just see her young self, the determined face and the precise movements. And I LOVE Aiden, almost as much as Vierce! The interplay between Satele and Scourge was wonderful!

Tatile, Broan always moves me. Always.

Here's my entry for Teachers, Miriah and Risha on Corellia, no spoilers, ~650 words:

Risha poked a pile of garbage tentatively with her booted foot. “Why am I here again? You go everywhere with the farm boy these days.”

“He’s, ah, resting. Still has a little of the cold he’s been dealing with, I told him to sleep in.” Miriah looked up at the Corellian sky, noting the areas where there was already smoke. “Besides, you wanted to lean how I kick things. You need to limber up first, Rish, don’t want to pull something.” She grinned at her friend, knowing the engineer was not a morning person. She’d protested loud and long when Miriah had gone to the crew quarters to wake her, swearing in Huttese about Corso’s absence. She was still grumbling under her breath, making Miriah grin at her.

They started out from the Republic base, and turned left to an area that Miriah knew would have plenty of targets. “Okay, Rish, first thing you want to do is put your right foot a little in front of your left, and have a slight bend in your knees, so you can balance. Yeah, that’s it. Now, I’ll get us a subject.” Miriah pulled her blaster out and just grazed a large Torvix, who immediately charged the two women.

“Wait, wait, wait,….NOW!” Miriah coached, and Risha kicked, but connected with nothing. “No, hon, look, square up and kick.” Miriah demonstrated the maneuver, and they finished off the now choking and coughing Torvix.

“Okay, I think I see it now. Let me try again,” Risha said, getting into her stance. Miriah again fired on a lone Torvix, who returned fire and ran their way.

“Here he comes, ready?” Miriah glanced at her friend, who nodded. The charging enemy laughed before he got to them, and Risha did kick him, but missed a little, hurting her foot.

“Ow, ow, ow,” Risha hopped around while Miriah disabled and shot the Torvix. Miriah shook her head, laughing at Risha. “That fricken hurt, Mir. Does it hurt you to do it?”

“Nope, you weren’t squared up. I guarantee that when you connect with the right spot, you’ll know it. There’s a distinct sound associated with it. I always like to think it’s the crunch of bone being driven into soft tissue,” Miriah told her with wicked glee in her voice. “Here comes another one, actually several. Ready?” Risha nodded, a determined look on her face.

The group of four Torvix approached the women, and to Miriah’s surprise, Risha’s first kick landed perfectly. The look on her face was priceless, a moment of shock followed by satisfaction as the enemy doubled over, stunned and hurting. Miriah took one out then turned to see Risha square up before the last one. When she kicked him, he vomited on her as he fell, and she killed him quickly after.

“You never said that would happen!” Risha was livid, she’d never signed up for disgusting.

Miriah shrugged, “It happens, not too often, but it does. I think you’ve got it now, anyway, Rish. Let’s go back to the ship so the queen can clean up.” Miriah smirked at her friend, but was proud she’d caught on so quickly. They left on the shuttle, the other passengers giving them wide berth due to the smell. When they went through the airlock, they were met by a smiling Corso, who promptly grabbed his captain and took her to their quarters.

“Doesn’t look sick to me,” Risha grumbled, but grinned to herself as she made her way to the crew shower. I might be a mess now, but just you wait, she thought. The next time some guy in a sleazy cantina tried to touch her, he’d get a big surprise. She laughed quietly as she started the water.

@iamnotawitch, Nexu words of wisdom :)

@irishfino, It will be funny to see little Malavai fighting off the 'air of noble tragedy' "I don't need it! I'm awesomely cute, the ladies already love me!"

@Tatile Naught and Vizloch do have a weird relationship but it's also very oddly sweet. Like she almost treats him like a second son... kind of... in her own Sithy way.

"I could just Force attack from this once I was finished crushing everyone's will with my aesthetic awesomeness. Scarlet Nexu isn't just about the mechanics, you know."

@bright_ephemera, that line is just too funny to me. also, I know there's Coruscant Comics... did the Empire have their own comic book publisher? I would assume Captain Kaas was from an Imperial publisher.. so the Empire is Marvel? (am I overthinking?)

I spent way too much time looking at Escher girls and laughing.

@Magdalane I love when someone works dirty kick into a story, I just think it's super funny that kicking that spot is a special skill passed on to generations and friends.

@Mags, :D I am actively afraid of what Risha would do once she has mastered the Dirty Kick. This was fantastic.

@bright_ephemera [...] I know there's Coruscant Comics... did the Empire have their own comic book publisher? I would assume Captain Kaas was from an Imperial publisher.. so the Empire is Marvel? (am I overthinking?)

Believe me, you cannot possibly have overthought the transplant of comics to the Nalenne!verse (and, I think, the Vierce!verse) more than I have. Coruscant Comics (DC) is the Republic publisher; Spectacle Comics (Marvel) is the Empire's. In Nalenne's fic I think the most detail I went into, barring the Comic-Con triple post, was a short discussion of Nalenne's crew's favorite Spectacle characters.

I never thought about who publishes Scarlet Nexu. Nalenne usually prefers Spectacle properties, but given DC's New 52 Catwoman and Starfire styles I really feel like Nexu should be Coruscant Comics.

Edited by bright_ephemera

@hoyden I knew I missed commenting on something... Scourge wanting to kill Bengal Morr is just too funny. Is it wrong for me to want them all to run into each other in person. Awkward Esma, creepy Bengal, and angry Scourge :) Edited by kabeone

@hoyden I knew I missed commenting on something... Scourge wanting to kill Bengal Morr is just too funny. Is it wrong for me to want them all to run into each other in person. Awkward Esma, creepy Bengal, and angry Scourge :)

That WOULD be interesting, wouldn't it....:D <shoves the snippet that's been sitting in her files for months behind her back>

Irish...I put my Quinn through hell before I moved his lingering air from "I'm a dick" to "noble tragedy." If the noble tragedy starts spreading to all Quinn incarnations of all ages...*shudder* the women of the multiverse will not be safe.

To be fair, the entirety of the Quinn genetic line stopped producing Force sensitive heirs for a few hundred years. It's not written in that little short, but I would assume the sadness at not being a super awesome genetic line that produces super cool powers is a bit of a downer. It also gives me a great lead-in to why Nox is Force sensitive while poor ignored Malavai is just a brooding Imperial who gets all the ladies (that was hinted at in another short, lol).

Irishinfo, you have incorporated Quinn's family to help us understand him, and it does explain him a bit. While not a Quinn fan, I do love to read your stories.

Yay! It's working! [goes to write more awesome Quinn stories because that's really all she writes and OMG expand your horizons Fino]

@irishfino, It will be funny to see little Malavai fighting off the 'air of noble tragedy' "I don't need it! I'm awesomely cute, the ladies already love me!"

Heehee, wrong Malavai. This is Quick Quinn Quotes Malavai Quinn. Little Malavai doesn't need the air of noble tragedy to get the ladies; he'll eventually grow into the Captain's good looks and he won't have the personality of an insanely an*l d*uche! He'll be golden, lol.

Thanks for reading, even if you didn't comment!

Heehee, wrong Malavai. This is Quick Quinn Quotes Malavai Quinn. Little Malavai doesn't need the air of noble tragedy to get the ladies; he'll eventually grow into the Captain's good looks and he won't have the personality of an insanely an*l d*uche! He'll be golden, lol.

No, I know... I just assumed all Quinns in every continuity (except mine!) have the A.N.T. ('of' does not get to be in the this acronym) it's like puberty... *why is my voice nasaly now* what's this? permanent 5'o'clock shadow*I hate love!*why is this happening to me? oh wait, abs... I like it*

No, I know... I just assumed all Quinns in every continuity (except mine!) have the A.N.T. ('of' does not get to be in the this acronym) it's like puberty... *why is my voice nasaly now* what's this? permanent 5'o'clock shadow*I hate love!*why is this happening to me? oh wait, abs... I like it*

Did someone say ABS!?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbre5bjTNw1rigdn8o1_1280.jpg

Edited by irishfino

Teacher

Remi and Master Xin no spoilers

Master Xin was looking for Remi, she was never hard to find. After she was injured, she spent every spare moment training, first learning to walk, then to run, and finally to fight again. Even after the doctors declared her to be fully healed she never slowed her training regimen. She seemed to love the art of fighting, but she had reached the end of what he could teach her as a duelist.

It pained him to know that she would be a soldier. He worried that the cheerful irrepressible girl would change, that she would become detached from everything except the Force so that she could deal death without breaking. She would be a magnificent Jedi, but she would not be Remi. He wanted to give her a choice.

He saw her bouncing back and forth between practice dummies, her feet touching the ground only briefly. Sensing his presence she leaped at him pretending to strike, he sidestepped and pushed her away with a wall of Force. She flew backwards and landed in a controlled tumble, laughing as she came to a stop.

“That is no way to show respect youngling.” He said with mock sternness.

She stood and brushed herself off, “Apologies, master.” She bowed precisely but her grin ruined the effect. “What can I do for you?”

“The Council needs me to negotiate a series of treaties on the Outer Rim, I must leave immediately. You may continue with me, but I have taught you all that I can about fighting. Any further training will be as a diplomat and scholar. If not, I have found you another master, Master Nilah. She can help you reach your potential as a duelist.”

Remi stared at his face, of all his students she alone had learned to sense the small differences in his expressions, vocal tone, and carriage no matter what he did to hide it. “I would follow you anywhere, Master, but I think we both know I’m not cut out for diplomacy.” She gave him a small smile and a real bow. When she straightened, she looked him in the eye, so young but already a Jedi at heart. “You have your duty, Master, thank you for taking me this far.” She reached out and touched his arm, “Journey safely, may the Force be with you.”

Master Xin clasped her arm briefly and returned to his quarters, his heart filled with bittersweet pride. As he prepared for his mission, he could not help but remember the little girl who could not sit. Over the years he taught her how to focus, how to use the force, and how to fight, but in the end, he became the student, she taught him how to let go.

Edited by kabeone

Teacher.

Rochester and Unidentified, taking place some time after the events of Worst Day Ever.

Rough, calloused skin was pressed against his own and Rochester felt his heart skip a beat. For a moment he was back in the slums of Hutt space. The hand pushed hard against his chest, forcing him backwards. He moved to step and support his weight, but his legs did not respond. The braces that had been holding him upright failed and he collapsed to the floor.

"Get up."

Pain coursed through his back and forearms. In spite of his muscle's protest, Rochester rolled over and lifted himself. He had done press-ups many times and the position came easily to him. The tricky part would be getting his legs to move. He concentrated, feeling the metal and leather straps against his skin. A tremor passed through his right leg as he tried to move it, but that was all. Both limbs stayed limp. Sure that he could not continue, Rochester lowered himself to the floor and reached to remove the blindfold. The toe of a boot forced itself under his ribs. He was half-nudged, half-kicked onto his back.

"Up."

Shaking, Rochester pulled and forced himself, finally crunching his stomach painfully as managed to sit. He had begun to fumble with the locks on his braces when the muzzle of a blaster was laid against his temple.

"Not with those."

The man grabbed Rochester by the wrist and dragged him across the floor. He bit back a whimper as his every joint screamed. Months of abuse, the assault and subsequent weeks of bedridden healing had left him waif thin and physically - if not also mentally - weak. His fingers were forcibly curled around a metal bar and the back of his patted in mock reassurance.

"Up."

Note:

To give some context, after he was stabilized in the sort-of Imperial-run clinic in Hutt Space and fitted with rudimentary cybernetics, Rochester was transported to Dromund Kaas for further treatment, under orders from his mother. It was there that Imperial Intelligence intervened and outfitted him with superiour cybernetics and went about furthering the agent training he had received while a student in the unnamed military academy.

Rochester's spine was damaged in the assault and though he was not entirely paralyzed at the time the trauma and weeks spent immobile made it quite impossible for him to stand unaided. The previously mentioned cybernetics on his spine essentially act as a relay and support system for his spinal cord, so if it gets damaged for whatever reason his legs are made quite useless. I like to think it has pretty green lights running done the links when everything is working properly :)

Teacher...kind of... :rolleyes:

Featuring Cipher Thirteen aka Vesania Serence. 541 words, no game spoilers.

Unknown Location

6 ATC

She lay flat on the table, anchored to the hard surface by the restraints on her wrists and ankles. The drugs they had given her made her head swim and the light on the ceiling crawl blurrily back and forth across her vision. For a moment, enough focus returned for her to struggle against the bindings. It was a futile effort, just like the previous attempts she had made, lasting only for a moment before she lapsed back into semi-consciousness.

Time passed. White-clad figures came and went, bending over her and pushing needles into her arms; she barely noticed. A static buzz sounded in the back of her head, steadily increasing in volume until it drowned out all other sounds, engulfing reality in white noise.

Then the dull pr*ck of yet another needle was followed by the startling sensation of lucidity. She blinked, her head clearing, awareness returning in a rush as the table oriented itself upward.

Cipher Thirteen jerked against the restraints again, her eyes quickly surveying her surroundings before zeroing in sharply on the black-uniformed woman standing in front of her.

“Hello, Vesania,” said Watcher Ninety.

She stepped closer, her movements halting and unsteady as always. Reaching up with one frail hand, she brushed her hair out of her eyes, partially revealing the intricate series of scars on the right side of her face. “I’m not sure if you can still hear me, but… I thought I’d come anyway. Just to see you.”

“You betrayed me,” Cipher Thirteen whispered. Her voice rasped through a raw throat; had she been screaming?

Pale blue eyes widened. “You can talk,” Watcher Ninety said, sounding surprised. “I didn’t think you’d be able to talk.”

“You know me,” Cipher Thirteen said hoarsely. “Always full of surprises.”

Watcher Ninety smiled faintly. “You can still find it within yourself to joke. I suppose that shows your strength. You always were extraordinary.”

“Why am I here?” Cipher Thirteen demanded. “Why did you send me into a trap?”

“A necessary sacrifice,” Watcher Ninety murmured. She almost seemed to be talking to herself. “I didn’t want to do it, but for the good of Intelligence… For the good of the Empire… I had to. An easy dilemma.”

“You’re rambling.”

“Am I?” She seemed genuinely startled at the comment. “Hm. Perhaps I am.” She clasped her hands behind her back and started to pace back and forth, limping with every step. “I didn’t want this to happen, but… Unforeseeable circumstances. My hand was forced. You understand.”

“I don’t understand,” Cipher Thirteen snapped. “I trusted you.”

“Vesania, my dear, you’re like a daughter to me,” Watcher Ninety said sadly. “And that’s why I had to do it. To protect you.”

“Could’ve fooled me…” Cipher Thirteen muttered.

Watcher Ninety shook her head. “I had to do it. The security and stability of Intelligence was at stake. I couldn’t afford to risk it.”

“Why not just kill me?”

“That would be a waste,” Watcher Ninety said flatly. “And I hate waste.” She smiled thinly, her eyes wide and crazed. “This will all work out for the best, my dear, you’ll see…”

Darth Nox woke up with a start. She took several deep breaths, trying to calm her pounding heart. She didn’t remember the dream.

She never did.

Note:

I'm aware that Ninety is a pretty high number for a Watcher. I picked it at random without really considering the implications and now I just can't think of the character as anything else... I mean, there are probably a fair number of Watchers out there. Imperial Intelligence is a big organization, if the size of their building is any indication... :D

A small one.

Prompt: Uhh...I really don't know so, I'll let you peeps decide :p

Featuring Lilith and Vector. No spoilers.

NOTE:

This was created on a whim while listening to music, I'm weird that way. I was not entirely sure about posting it as it is hard to put music into words :p but I hope you'll like it.

Also, Lilith has white hair since birth. She's not an albino, however. Again, I'm weird that way :p You'll understand why I mention this.

Here it is:

Was it music?

Vector thought he was imagining it. He opened his eyes, interrupting his commune with the hive and stood still, listening.

It was music, but it was not the song he was used to, the song all joiners hear. It was coming from the main holoroom and it had a different feel to it. He stood and followed it, walking down the corridor towards its source. He noticed that the main lights were off and thought it was strange but his mind decided not to give too much attention to such detail as the notes were providing guidance.

He entered the main room, quietly, letting his eyes adjust to the dim light cast by the consoles that were giving a soft yet colourful show and it almost seemed to him that the patterns formed by the blinking devices followed its dynamic.

His eyes focused on an instrument at the back of the room, the source of the upbeat tempo, providing a constant drumming reverberating throughout and a synth melody to accompany it. The synthesizer had been programmed to provide the background on which the main instrument was singing. It sounded like a viol, or some sort of string instrument, he could not tell but he did not care to know. He just decided to rest on a nearby seat and follow the music.

The verses conveying a sense of sadness and sweetness at the same time with a sequence of low tones and fast notes all leading to the refrain, a higher pitched arrangement of ups and downs, flowing faster always with that upbeat tempo in the background. It reminded him of the mountains of Alderaan, the notes drawing their shape as if on a clear night. Another verse, slower, like a lazy river flowing through valleys suddenly picking up, like the wind rising, plucking leaves from the trees and carrying them high towards those same mountains as the refrain played again, bringing a sense of peace and joy to his heart.

He listened for a while, his eyes focused on nothing specific, his mind traveling back to the planet. It was so very different from what he had heard before, so strange and yet so familiar. And, just as on a clear night the light reflected off the snowy heights, he caught a glimpse of that same reflection as the dim light was caught by snow white hair.

He did not notice her before, so entranced by the music. Facing the opposite wall, she was just a shadow moving against a darker backdrop and the source of the melody that painted such vivid images in his mind. As she played, she danced, like a wisp of smoke twirling in the breeze, gracefully changing shape, rising and falling, following the whims of the melody.

Had she noticed him? He did not want her to, afraid that his presence might spoil such expression and he found himself drawing back towards the darker corner of the room, hoping to become invisible. Somehow, he felt ashamed, lurking as he was, but he could not bear to look away. He was a witness to something secret, drawn by it, as a moth to a flame.

And as the melody died, she simply stopped. Vector kept his breath, unwilling to make a sound as she slowly began to make her way to her cabin, toward the front of the ship. She half turned her head, as if something had been glimpsed out of the corner of her eye. Vector was as still as a statue, almost terrified to make his presence known.

Then, she just disappeared. He could see the light from her room flooding the corridor as the door to her cabin opened. And just as it appeared, if disappeared once more, leaving him in darkness.

Edited by Selentar

Teacher...kind of... :rolleyes:

Featuring Cipher Thirteen aka Vesania Serence. 541 words, no game spoilers.

Unknown Location

6 ATC

She lay flat on the table, anchored to the hard surface by the restraints on her wrists and ankles. The drugs they had given her made her head swim and the light on the ceiling crawl blurrily back and forth across her vision. For a moment, enough focus returned for her to struggle against the bindings. It was a futile effort, just like the previous attempts she had made, lasting only for a moment before she lapsed back into semi-consciousness.

Time passed. White-clad figures came and went, bending over her and pushing needles into her arms; she barely noticed. A static buzz sounded in the back of her head, steadily increasing in volume until it drowned out all other sounds, engulfing reality in white noise.

Then the dull pr*ck of yet another needle was followed by the startling sensation of lucidity. She blinked, her head clearing, awareness returning in a rush as the table oriented itself upward.

Cipher Thirteen jerked against the restraints again, her eyes quickly surveying her surroundings before zeroing in sharply on the black-uniformed woman standing in front of her.

“Hello, Vesania,” said Watcher Ninety.

She stepped closer, her movements halting and unsteady as always. Reaching up with one frail hand, she brushed her hair out of her eyes, partially revealing the intricate series of scars on the right side of her face. “I’m not sure if you can still hear me, but… I thought I’d come anyway. Just to see you.”

“You betrayed me,” Cipher Thirteen whispered. Her voice rasped through a raw throat; had she been screaming?

Pale blue eyes widened. “You can talk,” Watcher Ninety said, sounding surprised. “I didn’t think you’d be able to talk.”

“You know me,” Cipher Thirteen said hoarsely. “Always full of surprises.”

Watcher Ninety smiled faintly. “You can still find it within yourself to joke. I suppose that shows your strength. You always were extraordinary.”

“Why am I here?” Cipher Thirteen demanded. “Why did you send me into a trap?”

“A necessary sacrifice,” Watcher Ninety murmured. She almost seemed to be talking to herself. “I didn’t want to do it, but for the good of Intelligence… For the good of the Empire… I had to. An easy dilemma.”

“You’re rambling.”

“Am I?” She seemed genuinely startled at the comment. “Hm. Perhaps I am.” She clasped her hands behind her back and started to pace back and forth, limping with every step. “I didn’t want this to happen, but… Unforeseeable circumstances. My hand was forced. You understand.”

“I don’t understand,” Cipher Thirteen snapped. “I trusted you.”

“Vesania, my dear, you’re like a daughter to me,” Watcher Ninety said sadly. “And that’s why I had to do it. To protect you.”

“Could’ve fooled me…” Cipher Thirteen muttered.

Watcher Ninety shook her head. “I had to do it. The security and stability of Intelligence was at stake. I couldn’t afford to risk it.”

“Why not just kill me?”

“That would be a waste,” Watcher Ninety said flatly. “And I hate waste.” She smiled thinly, her eyes wide and crazed. “This will all work out for the best, my dear, you’ll see…”

Darth Nox woke up with a start. She took several deep breaths, trying to calm her pounding heart. She didn’t remember the dream.

She never did.

Note:

I'm aware that Ninety is a pretty high number for a Watcher. I picked it at random without really considering the implications and now I just can't think of the character as anything else... I mean, there are probably a fair number of Watchers out there. Imperial Intelligence is a big organization, if the size of their building is any indication... :D

My poor Nox.. :(

Technically, this Nox isn't "your" Nox..

... I don't see your point...

*sigh* Nevermind..

I love how I am getting to know each of the writers in this thread and the characters they write about. I am trying to get to the full stories as well as do a tad of my own writing. Oh and play the game squeezed in by a fulltime job and an hour a day commute.. Yeah I got this *laughs hysterically* I can just be thankful my kids are grown or I really would be a basket case.

@ Elliotcat - Thanks for getting the ball rolling in the first place

@ Bright_epherma - Vierce is wonderfully written. Loved the stories. and the Hero one.. I was just picturing her trying all those comic book poses with Quinn watching no less.

@ Imnotawitch - the regret,the lesson, was nicely done.

@ irishfino - I just love all your iterations of Quinn. I have a feeling when I level up my warrior I will be sadly disappointed in the in game version as he will not have all the wonderful range presented in your stories. (but I am sure I will have little Malavai in my head when he talks hehe)

@ kaebone - Remi and Master Xin, very nice but omg.. love the Aiden

@ tatile - I just love peeks into peoples brains (so to speak.not real brains)

@ iamthehoyden - I actully really enjoy the stories woven into the frame of the game stories. As will someday be demonstrated should I get brave and get my own out there. :)

@ Magdalene - Dirty kick. Just love that move.. and how it works on everything. Beasts, Droids. hehehe. I understand why Corso didn't want to be around for that practice session

@ Vesaniae - interesting origin story. very plausible.

@ Selentar - I love the description of the music. We have a lot in common that way. My Cielle also has the white hair.(I tend to do at least one toon that way every game. And someone who is musical, though I myself play the piano two fingered)

If I missed anyone do know I read the stories and more important, loved every one.

Okay. let me see if I can finish up my contributions before I am 3 weeks behind

Prompt – Memory/Teacher (fits both I guess :) )

Character – Cielle – Bounty Hunter

No Spoilers

The smell of his cologne filled her nose and she could feel the scratchiness of his cheek where it lay against hers. His arms were around her and holding her trembling hands.

“Steady,steady” his voice was soft and strong in her ear. “Relax sweetheart” She could still hear his throaty chuckle. His finger was over hers and together they gently pulled the trigger. She was proud that she didn't jump when it went off.

While they waited for them to call the range cold, Cielle ran through all the safety measures in her mind. Her dad had drilled them over and over with her before he brought her out to shoot.

1.Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction

2.Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot

3.Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use

At home he had her handle the small blaster unloaded over and over again, dry firing it until she could do it with her eyes closed. When she excitedly asked about the bigger blasters, the rifles, the carbines, her father laughed.

“One at a time Cielle. Learn safety and what you can comfortably handle and we will get to all of them in time if you like.”

When everyone else was done shooting and the range-master called the range cold and they walked down to pick up her target. Her father whistled as he picked it up. The center was completely gone and not a stray shot to be seen on the sides.

“You are a natural at this Cielle, at this rate you will be joining your dad on the Deadeyes someday” Then he crouched down and looked her squarely in the eyes, his bright blue eyes locking onto her paler blue ones. “Just don't become a grunt in the military darling, you have an extraordinary ability. Use it wisely and take out bad guys,whoever they are”

They hung a fresh target, then he grabbed up the squealing little girl and tickled her wildly all the way back to the firing line.

“Honey, she is six years old, Why are you teaching her to shoot already?” came her mothers voice from somewhere else in her memory

“Shes a natural” replied her father “And I am afraid the universe is going to get more dangerous not less. My daughter will be a hunter, not hunted”

Prompt: Teachers

Character: Rixik

Chronologically, takes place well before Judas. Rixik isn’t “Rixik” yet, except in attitude. He’s about 12 here.

No spoilers. 500 words.

So sorry for reduced commentary recently. I have been reading everything, just not quickly enough.

Notes:

In Coming Down, Rixik mentions his Rodian vocabulary being mostly profanity; this is who he learned from. The Rodese words should be clear from context or irrelevant, but just in case:

Nok is “difficult or “obstinate” and Greelo is “sly”. Thanks again, Wookiepedia!

The Rodian cut off mid-curse and looked up into the engine’s disassembled guts. “Who there?” she asked in broken Huttese. No answer forthcoming. Her inscrutable black eyes studied the shadows, “Hear you there. Smell you. Might better come out, yes? Get stuck, get hurt, I fix both then.”

Movement two stories above the deck. A young man, a rosy-skinned Twi’lek, peered out from behind the main coolant pipe. The Rodian clicked her mouth parts in disapproval, “Spot bad. Hot for skin, leaking also. Burn. Hurt. Mess for Kelka.”

“No one comes up here,” the young man countered, his Huttese better than the Rodian’s, “no one even comes in here except for you.”

Vnu sna pleno ncthna zno?” she asked.

“I don’t speak Rhodese,” the Twi’lek replied.

She sighed, the green frill on the top of her head quavering in disappointment, “You boy in container? With cargo, yes?”

“Maybe,” he frowned at her.

“Captain’s boy now?” she asked, “his, yes? Belong Captain, pay for passage?” He nodded. “Hiding now, yes? From him?” He nodded again. “You down, have deal better I think.”

“The better spots are all open to vacuum half the time,” the young man said.

Ittu,” she cursed, “Deal better, no hide better, nok boy.”

He slipped out from behind the pipe, “You have a better deal?” he asked.

“Yes, yes, deal better. You down now,” she said, pointing to the deck.

The Twi’lek climbed down to an access catwalk. He was still higher than the Rodian’s head, but within easy reach. “I think this is close enough.”

Geelo boy,” she grinned, “Speak Hutt good, yes?”

“Better than you,” he said with a sneer.

“Yes, yes,” she agreed, “Boy Hutt good speak. Kelka,” she pointed at herself, “Kelka bet boy Basic good speak too.”

“Maybe.”

Kelka leaned forward, propping her green elbows on the engine control panel, “Skrek ta, Captain. Bad pay. Fix engine, fix crew, job bad pay, job all pwusko, yes? Follow?”

“Captain doesn’t get you the things you need. He doesn’t pay you enough to keep his ship running or his crew healthy,” the Twi’lek said, “bet he pays you more than me.”

The Rodian laughed, “Geelo boy. I make deal better for you. I pay,” she said.

“Right.”

Undeterred, she continued, “I think, geelo boy teach Hutt, teach Basic. Teach Kelka, I say skrek ta, Captain.” She made an obscene gesture at the upper decks, “I go job better.”

“You haven’t mentioned what I get.”

Geelo boy,” she grinned, “I teach geelo boy fix engines, fix machines. I teach geelo boy fix people. I teach geelo boy Rodian good speak,” she drummed her suction-tipped fingers on the console, “I say Captain, boy here not. Look galley, look cargo, go away. Kelka busy.”

The Twi’lek flashed a smile, “He won’t be happy,” he said.

Skrek ta, Captain,” she cursed. “Captain pwusko. I make deal better. Better Kelka, better you,” she held out one hand as though for a handshake.

The young man took it, “Better for me and better for you,” he corrected.

“Better-for-me and better-for-you,” Kelka repeated, “geelo boy.”