The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Daniel Erickson thinks X-Server LFG is last resort

tkinnunzero

and good riddance..like the post I just made....WoW was ALWAYS like that.

get a clue

WoW Lol (pardon the pun)... much anger I sense in you....maybe you played WoW too long, your points of view seem very narrow.

There are pro's and cons for both types of group finder.... bottom line is they are implemtning it same server (for now at least).

I would still be more concerned that a group finder without players is just a redundant peice of fluff... and even if transfers hive a population together on a few more servers, the game performance needs to smarten up alot more for it to become an enjoyable experience for many others.... so 1.3 has many cracks to fill in if its gunna see me re-sub again.

Edited by Bloodstealer

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just from your last two posts, thank you for showing us why it should not be an X-server.:)

that doesn't even make sense since this forum is hardly in game nor reflects how people are in game.

but typical anti-xserverlfg mentality and reasoning. i.e. makes no sense.

Cross-server LFG is a disaster in my mind, because I prefer to communicate with those I'm playing with.

Besides that, there are a number of legitimate complaints. In WoW, I would constantly be matched with non-English speaking players who would boot you out if you didn't speak their language. Also, RP and non-RP servers were in the same battlegroup, so there would be additional conflicts of interest on top of the general anonymous douchery.

I like playing with people from my server because if I enjoyed playing with them we add each other to friends list and continue to group together in the future.

A good view points +1

Though I sit on the fence as to it being "A Disaster" though :)

Edited by Bloodstealer

that doesn't even make sense since this forum is hardly in game nor reflects how people are in game.

Actually I have found that alot of players I have come across in MMO's that post on the forums do reflect very similar attitudes and abilities ... which server are you on and what's your toon names, just a thought :D

I've never once said I don't want it. I've expressed my opinions and views on why I don't like it. You see, unlike the pro X-LFG folks, I am not threatening to quit if they do add it as opposed to them not getting one

Its amazing that people think that one way or the other is the only solution.

If you have a great community and good players then you will never need to use a cross server tool.

If on the other hand you're stuck on one of the low population servers, a cross server grouping tool will be a godsend. From what I have read there are not enough BW execs and flunkies to get around all the subscribers to force you into using the tool.

Its gonna happen, it will be used and abused, make a thread and flame the prats who are so addicted to loot it makes them cry to see the pretty hat go anywhere but their bags.

@Daniel

Tools exist to help ..if players want use them they are using them , if not they are ignore them.

mmos need many tools. and a lfg tool is an extra feature that help players . it is a plus feature and must be as wide can be ( includes regions free ) .

it gives freedom and freedom makes people happy ... this is something that you must undestand it as soon as possible

Edited by SWTOR-GR

I think Daniel Erickson can go ahead and take my $15 subscription out of his paycheck and give it to Bioware when I cancel. The only thing that could keep me around at this point is something like a cross server LFG tool that would allow me to find a group to play with. Right now there are 21 people in the Spacedock on my server. More than half of them are PVPing.

Tell me Daniel, what good is a server centric LFG tool going to do me with only 10 people to pull from? How many of those 10 people are actually going to want to run the same FP I want/need to run?

That is a very common misconception "You aren't forced to use the tool". Actually we are. Indirectly, because 99% of the playerbase will be using it then the only way to get a group is to actually use it. And no, that doesn't mean 99% of the playerbase think it's good, it means that the playerbase can't be bothered to do it the hard way because they are lazy. We are human, we have always been trying to find quicker way to do things, except in this case it's destructive to the greater good. I'm almost completely sure you will not understand anything I have written here, but that's okay, I'm used to ignorant people by now.

You are not forced to use the tool. If you are opposed to the tool then don't use it. But stop assuming people are lazy if they do... I've seen some players for HOURS on the fleet just wanting to join a party for a HM FP, that's not laziness. If you're not lucky enough to be in a active guild or on an active server then a X-LFG tool is a good addition to the game. It's paranoid knee-jerk reactions that are the real problem without any hard facts to back it up.

The fact that subs are dwindling tells you people are un-happy, we can argue all day about a LFG tool but in reality there will be no communities period, or dare I say game, to speak of if something drastic is not done soon.

There is nothing to ruin!!!!!! The community is already the same as any WoW server in this game. People need to get off there high horse.

This game doesn't have the feature and everyone still acts like a bunch of jerks except now tons of people can't even play. Just add it already. Nothing will change their is no community to ruin.

Edited by Lt_Latency

This game is already at the "last resort" stage. It needs xserver.

I don't think it's last resort stage, but there are far too many empty servers, and SWTOR is failing in one of the primary tasks of an MMO - to have people playing together in the virtual world the developers have designed.

Some damn thing sure needs to be done, like yesterday.

I am an EU player, most of the EU servers are Light nearly all the time, one or two of them occasionally reeaching up to the dizzying heights of Standard. I rolled a toon on Fatman in the US, and even with the slight lag difference, its so much more fun playing on a full server, the game comes alive as an MMO (actually it's almost too full wrt spawn rates, they need tweaking a bit on Fatman).

Lots of people are not having this experience.

I am aware of the arguments against a cross-server tool, but those argument have validity only when servers are relatively healthy. This game needs some means of getting people to be able to playe with other people right now, or I'm afraid it will die totally when GW2 comes out.

I'm not saying that spamming chat in fleet for 2 hours is a good thing. A single server LFG tool is a definite improvement. Unlike some, I'm just not willing to say that it will fail without giving it a chance first.

Yes, trying out a same server lfg tool is a great idea, its not lke theres many other mmos that already tried and replaced them with a x server tool because they didnt work. Its great that 6 months after release and 1 million and counting subs later bioware devs are just realizing they needed an lfg tool, wouldnt it have been nice if they already knew that too?

My point is, the work has already been done for them, they screwed up once by being slow and out of the loop, now they are just doing it again.

We all know that BW will be implementing instant ports to the instances. But, tell me, how many people would be willing to put in the MINIMAL time and effort to actually travel to the instance if BW did not include this feature, even though most of them will probably be sitting in the fleet anyway? I'd bet that percentage would be in the low single digits. "I want it NOW, how dare you ask us to do anything?"

Instant ports really have nothing to do with effort, the reason they are included in an lfg tool is because they dont want people waiting around even longer for some slow poke in their group.

I admit, I didn't read the full thread, but I wish to share my experience with the cross server LFG tool from WoW.

The moment it was introduced, I stopped adding players to my friends list, because I met new players through the (local) LFG tool (just as I do now, I run a HC or a flashpoint with someone and it turned out great, I add them). As great as the run may have been, what are the odds I'd ever run into them again, since they're all on other servers? Plus I couldn't add them as friends even if I wanted. So, my friendslist came to a halt.

And it wasn't just me. No new members joined the guild, because we used to select new guild members from PUG's.

Cross server LFG tool will not bring out zero accountability players, but will also break down the social aspect.

I vote nay.

Yes, trying out a same server lfg tool is a great idea, its not lke theres many other mmos that already tried and replaced them with a x server tool because they didnt work. Its great that 6 months after release and 1 million and counting subs later bioware devs are just realizing they needed an lfg tool, wouldnt it have been nice if they already knew that too?

My point is, the work has already been done for them, they screwed up once by being slow and out of the loop, now they are just doing it again.

Instant ports really have nothing to do with effort, the reason they are included in an lfg tool is because they dont want people waiting around even longer for some slow poke in their group.

I know right? If only beta testers hadn't been suggesting a LFG tool for 4 months prior to launch - back when it would have been perfectly reasonable to start with a same server LFG tool.

I don't see any of the good ideas for features from beta that have made it into the game.

The blatant arrogance of stubbornly sticking to some flawed vision, and ignoring needed features suggested months in advance is mind boggling.

I admit, I didn't read the full thread, but I wish to share my experience with the cross server LFG tool from WoW.

The moment it was introduced, I stopped adding players to my friends list, because I met new players through the (local) LFG tool (just as I do now, I run a HC or a flashpoint with someone and it turned out great, I add them). As great as the run may have been, what are the odds I'd ever run into them again, since they're all on other servers? Plus I couldn't add them as friends even if I wanted. So, my friendslist came to a halt.

And it wasn't just me. No new members joined the guild, because we used to select new guild members from PUG's.

Cross server LFG tool will not bring out zero accountability players, but will also break down the social aspect.

I vote nay.

How many people did you come across in WOTLK that didn't already have a guild?

I know right? If only beta testers hadn't been suggesting a LFG tool for 4 months prior to launch - back when it would have been perfectly reasonable to start with a same server LFG tool.

I don't see any of the good ideas for features from beta that have made it into the game.

The blatant arrogance of stubbornly sticking to some flawed vision, and ignoring needed features suggested months in advance is mind boggling.

Then go build your own game. I swear I will try it and post my distaste on your forums

I've never once said I don't want it. I've expressed my opinions and views on why I don't like it. You see, unlike the pro X-LFG folks, I am not threatening to quit if they do add it as opposed to them not getting one

LOL, you mean like this anti lfg zealot threatening to quit?

Yes THAT is what you are promoting, the lack of moral fortitude, or willingness to be patient. So I vow here and now, the day cross server LFG is added, I am GONE!!!!!

Sane people are thinkng about quitting because they are starting to see that this game is run by people who have no clue about the mmo industry and have made little or no effort to learn about it. Remarks like ericksons just reinforce those doubts everytime someone from the dev team makes another one, which is usualy any time they give an interview.

Im willing to bet that the vast majority of people who would have liked to have been able to get groups in under an hour already quietly unsubbed.

I like how OP and many responders in the thread pick on that one item and ignore the super servers they are building and plan to offer mergers to transfer into that should have much larger populations then even the heaviest servers did at launch. If the simpler solution fixes the problem, why not try it first and hold out the last resort until needed?

LOL, you mean like this anti lfg zealot threatening to quit?

Sane people are thinkng about quitting because they are starting to see that this game is run by people who have no clue about the mmo industry and have made little or no effort to learn about it. Remarks like ericksons just reinforce those doubts everytime someone from the dev team makes another one, which is usualy any time they give an interview.

Im willing to bet that the vast majority of people who would have liked to have been able to get groups in under an hour already quietly unsubbed.

Oh wow, you caught one person and I laugh at the person myself but compared to the rage quitters posts, ya that holds now ground. Go find more please and maybe we can share a laugh together :D

I like how OP and many responders in the thread pick on that one item and ignore the super servers they are building and plan to offer mergers to transfer into that should have much larger populations then even the heaviest servers did at launch. If the simpler solution fixes the problem, why not try it first and hold out the last resort until needed?

We ignore them because they are vaporware with no ETA. Also, quite frankly I don't think their idea of what a "super server" is coincides with mine given that their "heavy" servers are under 1500 concurrent users.

Edited by Gungan

Ok, tell me, when are we getting "super servers"? how big are "super servers"? Are we actualy gettng "super servers" at all?

I was all for waiting for "super servers" until i saw a Q&A session with ericksons boss saying ericksons been "saying things he should not have been saying" Which i took to mean, those servers are either not even planned or still too far out to save this game.

If there was any example of any mmo using a single server lfg tool sucessfuly i would agree with you, try them out. Except there is in fact many examples of them not working, and many many resons why they have even less of a chance of working here.

Also if they hadnt waited 6 months and until the game was in a total free fall they would have had time to try out other things until they went with "the last resort" now they dont have that luxury.

Edited by Mallorik