Daniel Erickson thinks X-Server LFG is last resort

tkinnunzero

"Early summer" is not a timeframe. It is closer to a rumor than anything else, like the talk of "super servers".

Your dislike of the timeframe does not diminish the fact that they have given one.

Edited by DarthTHC

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't 500k the breakeven target, before any cost cutting measures?

500k was "profitable", I thought.

Any business that is content with less than 5% market share is foolish at best and lazy at worst.

Edited by DarthTHC

Daniel Erickson: we are pushing hard on servers that are massive compared to the ones we launched with. Early tests show we’ll be able to raise the peak concurrent user cap above what it was at launch. Combining that with server transfers to enable players to move to these new servers and fill them to the brim, we should see some fantastic, vibrant communities develop where Group Finder will always be able to find someone for your content.

This is how it should be.

This is how it should be.

I've always said I don't care how they do it, they just need to make it so anyone on any server can find an on-level group at any time of day within a reasonable time frame (comparable to those in other MMOs).

If they can do it by super-sizing the servers, that's fine. I'll have the fries with that.

What is funny is that if the servers are as massive as people are speculating (15k), it would have the same effect on "community" as a X-server queue system would. With 15k people on one server, everyone will essentially be anonymous. If someone is a troll or a jerk during a HM or OP, it wouldn't be the same as if that person was on a server with 2 or 3 thousand people. Basically everyone loses with this solution. It still ruins the community and it still won't give people looking to run content the instant satisfaction they'd have had if there were a x-server system.

I've always said I don't care how they do it, they just need to make it so anyone on any server can find an on-level group at any time of day within a reasonable time frame (comparable to those in other MMOs).

If they can do it by super-sizing the servers, that's fine. I'll have the fries with that.

This is my view too.

What is funny is that if the servers are as massive as people are speculating (15k), it would have the same effect on "community" as a X-server queue system would. With 15k people on one server, everyone will essentially be anonymous. If someone is a troll or a jerk during a HM or OP, it wouldn't be the same as if that person was on a server with 2 or 3 thousand people. Basically everyone loses with this solution. It still ruins the community and it still won't give people looking to run content the instant satisfaction they'd have had if there were a x-server system.

shhh, dont tell them that. wait until bioware desides to do it first or the community inquisition will light their torches and start out after the mega servers.

shhh, dont tell them that. wait until bioware desides to do it first or the community inquisition will light their torches and start out after the mega servers.

The mega servers are vaporware. They're not coming in this round of transfers, and they're not coming any time this year.

The mega servers are vaporware. They're not coming in this round of transfers, and they're not coming any time this year.

Proof?

As far as I know, they're coming before patch 1.3 with the free transfers.

Proof?

I wish, but unfortunately im pretty sure they will be coming after 1.3, we are only getting transfers before 1.3, I watched a q&A session with that emmanuel guy (another dev) and someoen asked about the "super servers" and he said erickson was "saying things he should not have said" which i took to mean they wont be ready anytime soon. then he went on to talk about transfers.

Proof?

The quote people are using as proof of mega servers was just Daniel mentioning the concept of mega servers and how they would be great for any MMO. He said nothing about implementing them now.

Edited by Gungan

I hope that a reduction in the number of servers is enough to revitalize SWTOR, since they seem to continue to resist implementing cross server tools for PVE.

I find it interesting that Blizzard is expanding on their cross server utilities with cross server zones, and LFR for all raids, while Bioware seems to have dug in their heels against cross server utilities. I understand Bioware's reasoning, in that it would be great if individual servers were able to provide sufficient numbers to give access to all content. However, the biggest MMO is breaking down walls to provide a more global community.

I think that it is telling that the MMO Juggernaut is heading in one direction with server limitations while this new game is holding fast to an old model. The 8 year old game has held steady with subs, and this one seems to be dying on the vine.

I hope that a reduction in the number of servers is enough to revitalize SWTOR, since they seem to continue to resist implementing cross server tools for PVE.

I find it interesting that Blizzard is expanding on their cross server utilities with cross server zones, and LFR for all raids, while Bioware seems to have dug in their heels against cross server utilities. I understand Bioware's reasoning, in that it would be great if individual servers were able to provide sufficient numbers to give access to all content. However, the biggest MMO is breaking down walls to provide a more global community.

I think that it is telling that the MMO Juggernaut is heading in one direction with server limitations while this new game is holding fast to an old model. The 8 year old game has held steady with subs, and this one seems to be dying on the vine.

You can't have a good MMO these days without servers of critical mass... and at that point, how much of your server community do you really know anyways?

The quote people are using as proof of mega servers was just Daniel mentioning the concept of mega servers and how they would be great for any MMO. He said nothing about implementing them now.

Agreed., the community seems to be running with this idea that there will be "MEGA SERVERS" in the near future, but there haven't been any details on this, or transfers for that matter. Given how things have gone over the past 6 months, my roll is significantly slowed with regard to news coming from BioWare.

And Emmanuel Lusinchi. He's the one that clarified that the server transfers and consolidation is only the first step. The eventuality of "mega-servers" is still a ways off, yes. I'd say a year.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I remember in BC I established myself as one of the best damn pug pally tank in the server (Amoro, Zuiljin Server) to group with. I'd join groups and everyone would be excited to see me and knew with a 100% certainty that I'd complete that run fast and smooth. To tell the truth that made me really proud making friends none stop who would love to group again.

But all that changed with cross server LFG.

At first I thought it be great I mean instead of making a name for myself on 1 server I can do the same on multiple and I can get groups as fast as I can click the button. Then, first couple of runs no one talked or interacted with each other...your basically just a place holder there to do a job then get out. But, that's not even the worst you got holy paladins rolling need on tank gear people quick to /gquit on 1 wipe, or if not done a certain way said person would flip out.

You see mister/miss OP when there is no accountability for your actions in the community it will bring out the worst of people. You character you created just becomes a placeholder someone that is forgotten when used up. The day I started playing wow as a pally I wanted to be the best tank and known for it by all in my community and once I had that feeling during BC I joined groups just for the fun of grouping and meeting new people even if I didn't need any gear pieces, then when cross server LFG came having it all taken away by cross server LFG destroyed most reason for me to play group in WoW instead of grouping for fun and getting to know my community I grouped and got my gear as soon as possible and tried to use LFG as little as possible, because who wants to group with mute nerd raging jerkish players.

One of many reasons i have stopped playing. Cross server LFG is just not worth it it kills the soul of any MMO it is introduced to, please BW don't do this.

why is it that every player that is against the x-server tool was always the greatest player and people eructed statues on their behalf until the x-server came out . May be you were great in you little server but people realized that more skillful player exist. I have a ton friends from different server that i met through wow's LFG x-server tool and we do raids together and have become good friends. Its called real ID, hell i met people in Diablo 3 and than raided with them in WoW and we where from different servers. Look up openraid.com and you will see a community existing regardless of servers. Also, If ninjaing loot is the problem there are ways around it that can be implemented by BW, oh wait never mind they laid off half the development team. I guess all those thing we were promised aren't coming for a long if ever. Plus once name changes and server transfers become active guess what people can ninja loot and change their name or server.

why is it that every player that is against the x-server tool was always the greatest player and people eructed statues on their behalf until the x-server came out . May be you were great in you little server but people realized that more skillful player exist. I have a ton friends from different server that i met through wow's LFG x-server tool and we do raids together and have become good friends. Its called real ID, hell i met people in Diablo 3 and than raided with them in WoW and we where from different servers. Look up openraid.com and you will see a community existing regardless of servers. Also, If ninjaing loot is the problem there are ways around it that can be implemented by BW, oh wait never mind they laid off half the development team. I guess all those thing we were promised aren't coming for a long if ever. Plus once name changes and server transfers become active guess what people can ninja loot and change their name or server.

Big fish in a little pond

This is impossible in an expansive cross server environment.

Good post. Blizzard is going after accessibility, and letting the community develop naturally from there, whereas BW is creating more of a top down structure for the community to grow from. To each his own of course, but it seems as if BW's approach is impeding their ability to add features that many consider standard.

I am the greatest tank ever EVER I SAY! and i dont care about cross server lfg but think it will help the game.

But seriously ive said this before, back in rift on the very rare occasions i used the lfg by myself i got quite a few requests to join raiding guilds on other servers, which i could have joined at any time because rift has free server transfers. That is truely one of the best things ive seen an lfg tool do and it would be nearly impossible to do without one.

Apparently X-server technology is some highly advanced stuff. I guess single-player developers aren't too good at creating multiplayer features. X-server technology was a daunting accomplishment for them so they used the old "community" card as an excuse.

Apparently X-server technology is some highly advanced stuff. I guess single-player developers aren't too good at creating multiplayer features. X-server technology was a daunting accomplishment for them so they used the old "community" card as an excuse.

I would feel better about the games future if that is true, for some reason its more comforting if its just a technical hurdle they have to get over and not the idealogy of an stubborn dev.

Ok wow that was a longass read from page 16 to 48 ;)

Rumors, eh?

Looks like an official timeframe to me. From here.

"Super servers"? You're right. The actual term a dev used is "mega-servers".

Don't look like "rumors" to me.

It's a loose estimate at best. There's no commitment to a deadline it could be early summer of 2013 ;)

<snip>

There is no villain for players to struggle against as a community (important in a theme park - Lich King, Deathwing, etc). This makes people lose focus because there is no goal after you hit 50 other than grinding gear. Why am I grinding gear? The purpose should be clear: because this vastly evil dude is hitting us on all fronts and is coming down on you to end you, so gear up scrub. This villain's influence should be felt almost everywhere at cap. Every class has their own little villain to hunt until they hit 50, then people unsub or reroll for that reason.

All the encounters need more complexity (enough with the hard enrage mechanic). They are just mindnumbingly tedious. Cleared every single hard mode on my first try as a tank with no wipes, and very little effort. The rakghoul flashpoints are harder, but nobody wants to do those now.

This post is just so right on for so many reasons. You couldn't have hit the nail more on the head. It hadn't even occurred to me until you wrote it, but yeah who is the supervillan we are all struggling against? And every encounter is an enrage timer... that's just such a yawner / lazy design in so many ways.

<snip>

I know the majority of mmo players are not in progression raiding guilds, i know the majority of players are not hard core rp'rs. I know that the majority of mmo subs come from people who have 2 -3 hours a day to play and when they log on they just want to play a damn mmo, not scream lfg or sit in a que for 2 hours then have to log off discouraged.

THIS^^^^ Mallorik is spot on.

For the two 1-2 hours I have to play now, I'd just like to be able to do a dungeon or two. Gone are the days when I have the time to stand around for 2 hours trying to find a tank. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because people acting like jerks NEVER happens in our trusted communities that we have established on our servers. No sir, every single person is of a strong moral fibre, no jerks here! Every single server is filled with countless of people that no only are happy to group up for anything at any time, but each and every one of these fine upstanding individuals acts in a selfless manner, and only selects 'need' when s/he actually needs said item in question!

For this reason, I refuse to see a cross server implemented! For it shall destroy the community we have all worked hard to establish by bringing in anonymous strangers from those... other servers we dare not mention in these parts.

...I agree, lets all trade emails and phone numbers so we can call when we get home from work at 3 am and want to get a grp or do a wz... I assume that everyone will be just fine at being woken up and be rdy to play:o:mad::cool::eek::(:rolleyes: ....hopefully thats enough faces to continue the sarcasm shown in the quoted post and let it continue thru mine.

-- on a more serious note..if you play on a populated server play more and stop opening your mouths in posts about low pop server problems.

--... (just in case it isnt obvious) I see and agree with the sarcasm in the quoted post.

Good post. Blizzard is going after accessibility, and letting the community develop naturally from there, whereas BW is creating more of a top down structure for the community to grow from. To each his own of course, but it seems as if BW's approach is impeding their ability to add features that many consider standard.

...kinda like facebook saying sorry the person youre looking for is out of state..you cant talk to them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.