Guide: Newcomers

Goshee

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice nice.

Only think missing is a race section and what diffrens it is between the races :)

Well star wars is a pretty big franchise so I think most know about the differenced already!

My best advice is to watch the films, they aren't relevant to the games timeline but you will understand the races a lot better if you watch them anyway!

I will look at adding links to the Republic and Empire subheadings in the faction section that will take you to information regarding each faction ^^

Good Guide.

As I was going through the abbreviations I noticed a few things.

"OP = Original Poster" Was a bit confused thinking you should have put "Over Powered" there. As "Original Poster" is not an in-game abbreviation but only really used on forums. Noticed as I kept on reading that you had "OP = Over Powered" further down so no worries. :)

Noticed you used "IMP = Imperial Agent"

Have not seen that used as much as "IA = Imperial Agent".

Personally would think anyone using IMP would be referring to 'Imperials' as a whole rather than the 'Imperial Agent' class.

See "AC = Advanced Class" a lot so it would be good to put that in there. (whenever I saw it I kept thinking 'Armor Class')

I also tend to use "SORC = Sith Inquisitor, Sorcerer" myself but not sure how widely it is used.

Edited by Savriel

Sounds to me like you need to update your graphics driver. I had a similar problem with another game on my old machine.

If you go to the bottom of page 2 I explain how to do so ^^

Edited by Goshee

[aname=anchor6]:sy_inventory: LOOTING[/aname]

• There are four loot options for when such an event occurs, need, greed, reverse engineer or pass.
  • Need - You should only click need if you can use the item which is up for grabs. Whether that means you can equip it or use it for crafting.
  • Greed - You should click greed if the only reason for wanting the item is to sell it or to reverse engineer it.

I'm not entirely sure what do you mean here by using item for crafting since you mentioned reverse engineering separately. From my experience with MMOs I have to slightly disagree with here though:

- Needing is to be used when you yourself are going to use that item instead of what you wear currently. Not for crafting, not for reverse engineering manually, not for companions, not for your friends. Just you and you should be able to use immediately, not in 3 levels or something.

- Greeding is everything else: selling, crafting, companions, your girlfried/boyfriend or whichever reason there might be except you yourself needing it as replacement for the gear you are currently wearing.

Note for new people to MMOs, needing money by selling item is not valid reason for rolling Need, everyone needs money and that would make the whole option system useless :)

I know that for example in wow this slightly depended on server but what I explained was the most used system. If crafting would be on same line with getting an upgrade for your current gear there would be no end to QQing and "crafters" needing things would be left and right.

Nitpicking yeah, but I've seen so much fighting over loot over the years that I know this thing is best get sorted as soon as possible :)

Edit: excellent guide overall, well worth reading even for us coming from other MMOs.

Edited by Fercil

I don't think what I wrote was wrong but I can see how you may misinterpret it.

I will update it to be a tad more specific.

Edit: Also I don't entirely agree with you that companion gear should be greeded.

It should be needed but only if a real player hasn't selected need. I have stated to always ask the group before making these decisions.

Remember with looting folks, if you are unsure just ask your party before making a choice. Generally they will tell you to go ahead with your request because you are being cautious and polite.

Hope this clears things up a bit for you guys!

Edited by Goshee

Edit: Also I don't entirely agree with you that companion gear should be greeded.

Well, that is kinda gray area I agree. I see it below needs of actual player character but agree it is above selling the item to vendor for few credits. Sadly the UI doesn't provide possibility for this. Communication within the group should help here and we'll see how the standard way to handle this turns out.

I just hope this doesn't turn out the "everything is hunter loot" way since you can have multiple companions.

Remember with looting folks, if you are unsure just ask your party before making a choice. Generally they will tell you to go ahead with your request because you are being cautious and polite.

Extremely true, communicating with your fellow players takes you far and helps avoiding misunderstandings in general, not just loot related ones. It's real humans you play with in MMO, not some AI.

Edited by Fercil