Movement in pvp

stephenalandavie

There are a lot of guides all over the internet. At first the change will be uncomfortable, but its well worth it. I was a clicker in classic wow, but I learned how to keybind in BC and broke 2k several times during burning crusades. Anyone can do it. Just practice. :D

I would suggest looking through this one. I didn't find a good swtor one, but If I do I will add it to this post.

http://www.locksucks.com/2008/08/l2pvp-keybindings/

Great video from a swtor player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkcrr1JGfA

Edited by Awayy

i use W strafe left, E move forward, R strafe right, and mouse turn. i feel this frees up Q,A,Z,X,S,D,F,C,V,B,G,T,1,2,3,4,5 for all cooldowns with shift modifiers. Then my buffs are F2 F3 and F1 is out of combat heal.

Also dont forget shift spacebar for either relic or pass huttball.

Also, take a paperclip heat it up and burn a mark on the E key so you will always have a "home" key for your middle finger. You can use artists eraser and stick it on too if you want something less permanent.

Also, a mouse with extra binds is awesome and you never really have to move your left hand, which is key.

Also, if you have a big hand much like i do you can hit N, M with your thumb and BAM you now have a very large controller instead of a keyboard.

Edited by Izola

i use W strafe left, E move forward, R strafe right, and mouse turn. i feel this frees up Q,A,Z,X,S,D,F,C,V,B,G,T,1,2,3,4,5 for all cooldowns with shift modifiers. Then my buffs are F2 F3 and F1 is out of combat heal.

Also dont forget shift spacebar for either relic or pass huttball.

Also, take a paperclip heat it up and burn a mark on the E key so you will always have a "home" key for your middle finger. You can use artists eraser and stick it on too if you want something less permanent.

Also, a mouse with extra binds is awesome and you never really have to move your left hand, which is key.

Also, if you have a big hand much like i do you can hit N, M with your thumb and BAM you now have a very large controller instead of a keyboard.

When you are in a middle of a fight say 1v1 with another melee do you find use the WASD keys then with the mouse? doesnt that take extra time then using your left hand to activate the abilities?

When you are in a middle of a fight say 1v1 with another melee do you find use the WASD keys then with the mouse? doesnt that take extra time then using your left hand to activate the abilities?

i dont use WASD i use WER and i removed move backwars cuz it slows you and backpeddling is bad. i keep my ring finger on W, middle finger on E and index finger on R. i will sometimes move off WER to hit a cooldown, but thats when im moving with my mouse. Mostly its just for S, D, 3, 4. But then my fingers resume their "home" position.

i dont have turn Left or Right or move backward, just Forward and Left/right Strafe.

Use the mouse to turn and unbind the rest to make room for abilities.

Trust me just follow it and you will be owning it up!!

Edited by Izola

Well if you do it anything like me it should look or feel like this.

Generally your middle finger, ring finger and index finger will most of the work with the w,a,s,d keys. Middle finger on w, ring finger on a, and index finger on d.

Your thumb does not touch a/s/w/d, but it is in range of z, x ,c ,v ,b, alt, and n.

Your pinkie will most likely control over `, tab, caps, s h i f t , and ctrl.

Your ring finger generally will hit q, 1, and 2.

I normally always have my middle finger on w, but I do bind casting abilities on 3 and 4 so that I can take my middle finger off w to hit those keys.

Your index finger will be in range of e, r , t, f, and g.

If you have a gaming mouse like http://cult.razerzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/naga02.jpg.

The thumb on your right finger can reach 12 keys. Your middle finger/index finger will control the wheel and any minor keys on top.

Its going to vary between person and person. Some people don't even use a/ws/d but rather r/d/f/g. I suggest following a very standard guide, and as time passes you will eventually modify it to your own needs.

Edited by Awayy

i dont use WASD i use WER and i removed move backwars cuz it slows you and backpeddling is bad. i keep my ring finger on W, middle finger on E and index finger on R. i will sometimes move off WER to hit a cooldown, but thats when im moving with my mouse. Mostly its just for S, D, 3, 4. But then my fingers resume their "home" position.

i dont have turn Left or Right or move backward, just Forward and Left/right Strafe.

Use the mouse to turn and unbind the rest to make room for abilities.

Trust me just follow it and you will be owning it up!!

I think i will one question though do you know your camera rotation sensitivity what do you have it set to?

I hit Tab with my ring finger and find it extremely awkward to hit Z and X with my thumb, but otherwise I agree with the above poster. I still haven't gotten used to holding both mouse buttons to move forward though, so W is used and I do use S to move backwards because it's useful for slight adjustments, especially since you have to be facing your target to use an ability. Turning 180 to take a step and then turning 180 would be a hassle and a half. I can see the value, however and I am generally running circles around my target anyway; it's just not always that simple ; ]

I think i will one question though do you know your camera rotation sensitivity what do you have it set to?

i have it set to 5%, Camera rotaion is very quick in this game if you jack it up.

Important thing to remember is no keyboard turning and no backpeddling, just remove em off your keyboard, the rest is up to you.

DO NOT HAVE TURN LEFT TURN RIGHT OR MOVEBACKWARDS BOUND, YOU WILL NEVER NEED THEM. just strafe away baby!!

I hit Tab with my ring finger and find it extremely awkward to hit Z and X with my thumb, but otherwise I agree with the above poster. I still haven't gotten used to holding both mouse buttons to move forward though, so W is used and I do use S to move backwards because it's useful for slight adjustments, especially since you have to be facing your target to use an ability. Turning 180 to take a step and then turning 180 would be a hassle and a half. I can see the value, however and I am generally running circles around my target anyway; it's just not always that simple ; ]

I play a sage and I find using the S key extremely helpful in making back jumps with ledges and quickly putting my back on a wall to counter a operative for a few seconds. My brother, who plays a melee, uses s for a melee attack with a medium cd timer.

Edited by Awayy

Honestly everything is personal preference. I've seen 2700 rated players in my wow days who moved with WASD, even though thats widely thought to be absolutely horrid.

Edit: I keep my camera speed at 10%, anything higher than that is like trying to play cod on 10 sensitivity after playing at 2 your whole life, it jumps around far too much to be reliable.

I , myself, have personally been above 2700 many times, but I seem to be alone in the way that I move. Maybe its because I heal instead of dps, but Idk, nobody I know moves the way I do.

I use a naga, so 1 on my naga is auto run. What I do is I am constantly toggling auto run on/off with 1, and I strafe with A and D. So I turn on auto run, strafe, strafe, strafe, stop, cast/do whatever, and then auto run again. And backpedaling is the first sign of a complete scrub, so please for god sake unbind your " s" key from backpedal. There is never a time you can't strafe and/or just run while moving your mouse to direct your character. It is 10x faster and more efficient.

Like I said, completely personal preference, but i seem to be alone in how I do it. Just thought I'd share how I do it.

Edited by Stevlol

Need help

What is best to use

Some say to just use the mouse on its own?

I use a combination of both mouse and keyboard at the same time.. while using a trackball I can out-turn anyone using a mouse straight up or those using only keyboard movement. When it comes to mice.. they have to pickup and readjust their mouse pretty often.. with a trackball I have unlimited movement.. :)

If you are using a DPS class, there is no reason at all to not get used to mouse turning with no backpedal or turn left/right bound.

If you are a healer class there is a slight problem. That slight problem is that sometimes people don't get pulled into raid frame, and so you have no function key assigned to them. That means using your mouse to find them in a fight and click on them (tab targeting typically doesn't work in this game).

The problem with that is that you can't simultaneously find/click on a target, mouse move and pan your cameras. So in practise i've gone back to keyboard turning from time to time (I use them a little here and there on occassions where im not strafing/mouse turning).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.