ToR Needs to be F2P

dljschneider

No one is forcing you to buy those relic removal scrolls. It's a conveinence yeah but in no way impedes your progress if you don't purchase. Only way you coud remove relics prior 2 F2P was during a reforge. And as a paid sub i get 500 free points to use a month so I don't have to use real cash to get items like those relic removal scrolls.

You gotta be kidding me. Are YOU going to tell me you'd stick your three best relics into a legendary Second-Age weapon -- relics that it took you upwards of six months to accumulate -- and then let them be destroyed or remain on a weapon you no longer use when you wanted to switch to a First Age weapon? Or heck, even when you get a higher-level weapon? Six months' worth of tier-by-tier upgrades of relics (yes, even post-nerf relics), painstakingly acquired by deconstructing countless legendary weapons and recombining them into higher-tier relics? And that preserving all that tedium is a mere "convenience"?? Sorry, but you just tossed whatever credibility you had straight into the incinerator.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta be kidding me. Are YOU going to tell me you'd stick your three best relics into a legendary Second-Age weapon -- relics that it took you upwards of six months to accumulate -- and then let them be destroyed or remain on a weapon you no longer use when you wanted to switch to a First Age weapon? Or heck, even when you get a higher-level weapon? Six months' worth of tier-by-tier upgrades of relics (yes, even post-nerf relics), painstakingly acquired by deconstructing countless legendary weapons and recombining them into higher-tier relics? And that preserving all that tedium is a mere "convenience"?? Sorry, but you just tossed whatever credibility you had straight into the incinerator.

Like I said before F2P launched when you switched to a new legendary weapon/class item if it was max level you lost the relics on it. And again if you have a paid sub you get free points every month to spend on whatever you like.

In addition i'm constantly leveling and deconstructing legendary weapon/items and building new relics. So if for some reason I end up destroying some I have back-ups.

i'm dropping this game like a rock if it goes FTP. I'd rather go outside more often than waste time in a goldspammers market having to pay 5$ for every new raid.

I paid for 6 months, I think it would have been cheaper if I only paid $5 for a raid.

And I already get gold spammers in my mail. Anyway, more will come when they do free trails.

Edited by GreatGarth

Also f2p would result in filling the 117 dead servers.

<<falls off chair laughing >>>>

I trust this was massive sarcasm.

The vast majority of people didnt stop playing because of the price. If that were true they would not have started to play to start with.

Thats like saying you hate a particular movie/ tv show... but you will watch it daily if it were on a free to view channel!

If you hate it, then making it free wont change that.

Its a red herring used by folk that feel as if they have no comeback but to threaten the developer with something tangible. Sadly its also so transparent that I am sure the developers already can see straight through it. If they have any brains then they are busy reworking the games infrastructure and future development plans around a far lower "solid" subscription base number. (as it should have been to start with).

Edited by Littlegem

The game is dying FTP wont save it.

Quality maintenance and a more realistic server count would help bring people back and instill some community. The sub is not expensive in MMO terms but this game, in its current state is not an MMO cos the massive just aint there for a great deal of players.

FTP = expense and grief

<<falls off chair laughing >>>>

I trust this was massive sarcasm.

The vast majority of people didnt stop playing because of the price. If that were true they would not have started to play to start with.

Thats like saying you hate a particular movie/ tv show... but you will watch it daily if it were on a free to view channel!

If you hate it, then making it free wont change that.

Its a red herring used by folk that feel as if they have no comeback but to threaten the developer with something tangible. Sadly its also so transparent that I am sure the developers already can see straight through it. If they have any brains then they are busy reworking the games infrastructure and future development plans around a far lower "solid" subscription base number. (as it should have been to start with).

But how do you explain the popularity of Jersey Shore? Jk, you right thou and I hope BW has something up their sleeve.

I quit LOTRO after 2 years of playing due to the Free to Win model Turbine implemented. I LOST a character. Let me repeat that. If I go play it right now today on a PAID SUB I will be missing a character. I also will have to buy zones and other content that I already paid for when I bought the game and paid 2 years worth of subs. it is a HORRIBLE model.

I wont play ANY game that starts out subbed and goes free after the fact. Some of the games that start free arent too bad and you know what you are getting into right from the start. Please dont EVER take this game down that road.

M

I quit LOTRO after 2 years of playing due to the Free to Win model Turbine implemented. I LOST a character. Let me repeat that. If I go play it right now today on a PAID SUB I will be missing a character. I also will have to buy zones and other content that I already paid for when I bought the game and paid 2 years worth of subs. it is a HORRIBLE model.

I wont play ANY game that starts out subbed and goes free after the fact. Some of the games that start free arent too bad and you know what you are getting into right from the start. Please dont EVER take this game down that road.

M

not true. if you return to lotro on a paid sub you will have all of the content but the released isenguard content.. even mines of moria is free now to players..

there is no way you lost a character if you are a fully paid sub... how do you claim all of that?

1. this game won't go F2P for some time (if ever)

2. give this game some time. this time next year this will be a very solid game. if your no having fun, sure un-sub this point of games is to be fun. i'm still having fun in both pvp and pve so i'll be re-subbing for another 6 months.

if your still around by then, see on the mega servers.

See my previous post for the "Scrolls of Relic Removal" thing. That's just ONE of DOZENS of examples of "Turbine Store Exclusives" that even SUBSCRIBING players are coerced into buying. And then there are more items and perks which, while they remain theoretically available in-game, the chance of a player actually obtaining even one such item is practically nonexistent, such as scrolls that give permanent boosts to a character stat. I played LOTRO for a good two years after the Turbine Store went live, with five characters I brought to the level cap and decked out in top-end raiding gear, plus another half-dozen alts of varying level, and I NEVER saw any of those items drop as loot.

In many other areas, Turbine turned many other grinds into inducements to shop at the Store. In the original game, deeds doubled and doubled in their time requirement through every zone until Angmar. At that point, the player base began to threaten them with public lynchings, so they backed off somewhat through Moria. Then, they hit on the idea to sell short-cuts via the Turbine Store! Oh, hey, what a great idea!

Bottom line again is, it turned the grind into a sucker ploy.

The game-design principle Turbine originally sold us was that we would "NEVER" notice that we were grinding. That was the original purpose of their deed concept. LOTRO was the "un-grind" we were told.

In short, the decision to sell short-cuts on these elements is an Epic Turbine Fail, as proven by the fact that there's even a market in the first place for their Turbine Store short-cuts.

Makes me wish I could cart the whole Turbine Store into the Crypt on Belsavis and encase it in lava.

Didn't they also overhaul the Relic/Legendary system to the point that needing the scroll of relic removal is needed like a character name change is needed?

In many other areas, Turbine turned many other grinds into inducements to shop at the Store. In the original game, deeds doubled and doubled in their time requirement through every zone until Angmar. At that point, the player base began to threaten them with public lynchings, so they backed off somewhat through Moria. Then, they hit on the idea to sell short-cuts via the Turbine Store! Oh, hey, what a great idea!

Bottom line again is, it turned the grind into a sucker ploy.

The game-design principle Turbine originally sold us was that we would "NEVER" notice that we were grinding. That was the original purpose of their deed concept. LOTRO was the "un-grind" we were told.

If their design was so you never noticed you were grinding, then they failed at that horribly, cause the Deed system, from day 1, was the epitome of grinding, having to kill hundreds of the same monsters to get a trait upgrade. Got love having to kill hundreds of invisible bog lurkers in a big area where there is only at best 3 spawned at a time, to get your next trait level :rolleyes:

I quit Lotro a few months after the game opened up because I got sick and tired of the massive grind that game was in order to make my character better.

I kind of agree. But I don't think they should do it like most other F2P games where you actually end up spending more to get all the content.

keep a subscription based system. Then offer a F2P system along side it with limited gameplay and access to sub-50 PVP and FPs, similar to what they did in wow. But less restrictive (e.g. let people join guilds)

But anyway, I don't think they can justify the high subsctipion cost now. They have already made back development costs and sacked half the staff...

Edited by NasherUK