ToR Needs to be F2P

dljschneider

declining pops, lack of innovation (accept single player voice overs), every patch seems to break something else, Useless "Legacy" system. i gave this game 3 months, and i think im experienced enough in MMos to compare this to a Developed F2P one. eq2 and Lotro have got it right. F2P is the way to go.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No thank you.

My previous game went FTP and it's now a goldsellers spamfest in combination with QQ I want more pay 2 win items now.

Sure they will most likely create equal or more income but the game would become a total horror for every mature gamer.

I dont think you have played lotro or EQ2 then. i haven't seen any ad's. and yes you have to pay for expansions, but you have to pay for expansions here too. and you can lvl a char 1-50 without paying a cent for anything on lotro.

I dont think you have played lotro or EQ2 then. i haven't seen any ad's. and yes you have to pay for expansions, but you have to pay for expansions here too. and you can lvl a char 1-50 without paying a cent for anything on lotro.

No expansion out yet for SWTOR so are you a psychic ? Since you already seems to know that expansions will cost money.

Edited by Kirameki

Funny that you quote EQ2. Oh, you want to carry more money? Buy the ability to do so. Oh you want to level up a certain class or race combo? Buy the ability to do so. Oh you want to have more than 4 characters? Buy the ability to do so. Oh you want to be able to use epic quality items? Buy the ability to do so. Does any of that sound good? No. Just stop. Not sure if trolling, but stop.

I have played LotRO.

You have to unlock one of the classes with turbine points. Let me say that again, in case it didn't penetrate your skull. You have to pay real money for one of the classes.

Edit: Also, there are other limitations of a free account. Such as the amount of money you can have.

Edited by MikelGoff

No expansion out yet for SWTOR so are you a psychic ? Since you already seems to know that expansions will cost money.

Oh, they will likely charge for expansions.

And why shouldn't they?

An expansion is taking a game to the next number release, it's a lot more work than a simple patch. Expansions add a lot.

Oh, they will likely charge for expansions.

And why shouldn't they?

An expansion is taking a game to the next number release, it's a lot more work than a simple patch. Expansions add a lot.

Depends.

I've played mmo's where expansions were free and where expansions were paid.

As long as BW has not confirmed anything about the subject the topic opener should not make a post as :

but you have to pay for expansions here too

to make his idea of FTP valid for SWTOR.

Op just because you can't afford the sub dont destroy the game for the rest of us. Go find a diff game that's f2p instead of posting your rubbish here.

This game is just fine as subs based

You have to unlock one of the classes with turbine points.

No you don't.

You can unlock them buy buying the Mines of Moria expansion. The same exact way you had to do it when the game was still pure subscription, and the MoM expansion pack came out.

Because lets make sure this gets though to you.

Back before it went F2P if you wanted to play a Warder or Rune-Keeper you had to buy the Mines of Moria expansion pack to unlock those classes.

No it doesn't, Pay to Win* is the wrong way to go with this game.

*F2P = P2W, for those who don't get the reference.

Not necessarily true. Runescape got it right with their F2p content back in the day. Paid for better items could only be used on paid for servers not f2p servers.

No you don't.

You can unlock them buy buying the Mines of Moria expansion. The same exact way you had to do it when the game was still pure subscription, and the MoM expansion pack came out.

Because lets make sure this gets though to you.

Back before it went F2P if you wanted to play a Warder or Rune-Keeper you had to buy the Mines of Moria expansion pack to unlock those classes.

Interesting.

I wasn't aware.

Now let's look at some of the limitations of free for LotRO

Characters per server, chat, auction house, mail, inventory space, gold cap, quest packs, no wardrobe, no real customer service, no monster play, limited "community features", crafting guilds, traits, and I could continue.

And if you argue with me, you're actually even arguing with the site of the game you're arguing for.

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

Tbh.. if you asked me 2 month ago I would say heck no.

But now... well unless there is a bunch of major changes to the game I wont be resubbing. I did enjoy the game, but being on a low pop server (10 people online) has killed the game for me. No pvp for over 3 weeks, etc etc

I would log on and play, if I didnt have to pay.

I play plenty of other f2p games, and I spend money as and when I choose on them. But pay monthly here? Not anymore, sry.

Not necessarily true. Runescape got it right with their F2p content back in the day. Paid for better items could only be used on paid for servers not f2p servers.

I watched STO go F2P. 1st, the F2P version of CU/NGE happened as Cryptic thought it best to NERF every character/ship/power/skill point that was existing along with most prices doubling in the existing store. They did this so they didn't have to rebalance PVE when they introduced all these great items to the C-Store (P2W). The "+1" ships (P2W) with all the great little consoles, then ships with more console slots (stats).

However, that didn't seem to make enough $ or they just could not get enough of these types of items past the IP holder, it this case CBS. After that came the "gambleing". Lock boxes drop in game, EVERYWHERE, that you had to go buy "keys" for to open these things. Instead of buying the item, you bought a very small CHANCE to buy the item. Most, who wanted these things, bought alot of keys and NEVER got the item advertised that could be in them. Now, the entire game is baraged with lock boxes and not even to mention that LARGE MESSAGE SPAM that so and so just got a frengi ship (out of a lockbox). No1 even knows if the spammed message is actualy a player or not even, or just a way to "make you want to head for the C-Store for more keys".

The STO producer makes comments in interviews that the actual content, the 4 quest lines that are being added about 1 per year now, are just too expensive so there are threads over there on if players were being told that future content, such as this, was not coming and the only development to look forward to would be included in the C-Store.

But the "best" thing (and the most laughable) I seen out of F2P is the dev announcement that PVP was broken (they just couldn't get much money out of that style of gameplay) as most people who PVPed decided to "outlaw" all the P2W items (or most of them anyway) out of their matches. Soooooo, Gozer (Cryptic developer) anounced that he was doing a complete revamp on PVP and if any1 didn't like it the alternative was to take ALL PVP gameplay out of their game. "Take it leave it" basicly.

You actualy want that?

Edited by Esquire

I watched STO go F2P. 1st, the F2P version of CU/NGE happened as Cryptic thought it best to NERF every character/ship/power/skill point that was existing alonf with most prices doubling in the existing store. They did this so they didn't have to rebalance PVE when they introduced all these great items to the C-Store (P2W). The "+1" ships (P2W) with all the great little consoles, then ships with more console slots (stats).

However, that didn't seem to make enough $ or they just could not get enough of these types of items past the IP holder, it this case CBS. Afer that came the "gambleing:. Lock boxes drop in game, EVERYWHERE, that you had to go buy "keys" for to open these things. Instead of buying the item, you bought a very small CHANCE to buy the item. Most, who wanted these things, bought alot of keys and NEVER got the item advertised that was in them. Now, the entire game is baraged with lock boxes and then there is that LARGE MESSAGE SPAM that so and so just got a frengi ship (out of a lockbox). No1 even knows if the spammed message is actualy a player or not, even, or just a way to "make you head for the C-Store for more keys".

The STO ucer make comments in interviews that the actual content, the 4 quest lines that are being added about 1 per year now, are just too expensive to there are threads over there on if players were being told that future content, such as this, was not coming.

But the "best" thing (and the most laughable) I seen out of F2P is the dev announcement that PVP was broken (they just couldn't get much money out of that style of gameplay) as most people who PVPed decided to "outlaw" all the P2W items (or most of them anyway) out of their matches. Soooooo, Gozer anounced that he was doing a complete revamp on PVP and if any1 didn't like it the alternative was to take ALL PVP gameplay out of their game. "Take it leave it" basicly.

You actualy want that?

Im sure its safe to bet your life on EA doing something like this and even worse, but the .01% they do it right like Runescape did is worth the hope right?

This game will never go F2P. EA wont do it, they'll simply do here what they did to Warhammer. The staff will get cut to a skeleton crew responsible for maintaining the game with little to no new development. Ultimately EA wants WoW money and they aren't going to settle for F2P mediocrity. Edited by Orrow

*face palm*

I played STO til it went P2W *cough* sorry F2P and it was ok aside from the lack of content til then, after it went F2P it went ****. crappy lock boxes, decent ships only available on the cryptic store oh and the mind numbing grind for endgame shizzle.

I hope to merry hell this game never goes F2P.