Why is my loading screen times so long?

Elmillia

That's wierd that you take so long to load with a SSD. When I switched from my 7200 RPM to my SSD, my load times went from 30-45sec to 3-6sec. So far, I think Corellia takes the longest to load at ~9sec... All of this is at max graphics, of course.

Sounds like he hasn't done SSD windows tweaks.

@ Monoth Also depending on what SSD you may have, I'd suggest that you check whether you board has AHCI support and Sata III, and make sure that TRIM is enabled, also never defrag or do a full format as this will degrade performance significantly, also doing a secure erase may improve performance dramatically.

This may be of help http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/windows-7-ssd-tweaking-guide

Edited by DiabloDoom

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's wierd that you take so long to load with a SSD. When I switched from my 7200 RPM to my SSD, my load times went from 30-45sec to 3-6sec. So far, I think Corellia takes the longest to load at ~9sec... All of this is at max graphics, of course.

Can you post a video of your load times, your system specs and internet connection speeds, the server you play on and your general location? I haven't seen anything like that if I could get my system there I'd be so happy.

blame the hero engine. say what you will for WoW, the graphics have aged well even if they are pretty damn retro and it loads rather quickly, with very little of that loading nonsense when you're free roaming.

I don't know if this is just me but...

I went back to wow the other day (They gave me 7 days free so I decided to pop back in). WoW's loading screen, no addons is about 5 to 10 seconds. With dozens of addons, it's about 2 minutes. Other MMOs that I've played are about the same lengh.

SWTOR's loading screen is a whopping 5 to 10 MINUTES or longer. My PC is moderately powerful (Core i7, Windows 7, 6 GB ram, 1GB dedicated video memory, plenty of harddrive space).

Am the only one suffering these extended loading times? If not, anyone know what I can do about it?

textures are being cached most likely to speed up in game time so fps will be gained from this during the first few secs my guess :rolleyes:

It's not an exaggeration. My loading times can actually come in at 10 minutes.

Either you are lying about your comp spec, or you have a busted computer. 10mins is just nonsense...with all loading required, it would take you up to 1 hour to go from the fleet to a planet.

Anyway, get a better computer or play another game. These types of BS threads need to be closed.

Oh, also go buy a SSD. My load times are less than 15sec

Either you are lying about your comp spec, or you have a busted computer. 10mins is just nonsense...with all loading required, it would take you up to 1 hour to go from the fleet to a planet.

Anyway, get a better computer or play another game. These types of BS threads need to be closed.

Oh, also go buy a SSD. My load times are less than 15sec

Can you post your system specs, server, general location and internet speed? While I am not suffering from 10 minute load times I'm often in the 2-5 minute range. Further the lion's share of the load time is initial pause.

Loading screens have definitely been getting longer. I have also noticed the black screen just before a cut scene is getting longer sometimes lasting 20-30 seconds.

Good thing we have the hero engine, should make fixing this stuff easy right? lol

My load time has never been more than 2 mins ... if your experience load times slower than that and you have a decent spec machine....check yoru internet speeds. Slower the connection slower the load while alot of stuff is client side there is alot thats not as well.

When your in a group load times for cut scenes can be affected.

Edited by Kindara

My load time has never been more than 2 mins ... if your experience load times slower than that and you have a decent spec machine....check yoru internet speeds. Slower the connection slower the load while alot of stuff is client side there is alot thats not as well.

When your in a group load times for cut scenes can be affected.

When the game loads perfectly fine until a patch comes out then all the sudden your having this long load times its the game. When i was in beta they was constantly having to fix the load times. Taris, belsavis and coriella would occassionally get so bad that the game would literally timeout. I have a high end rig with 50mb internet and until 1.2 i rarely had any load time over 1 min. Before 1.2 i usually would load and stand around waiting on group members.

For alot of people complaining the slow down is during the first 20 %, almost like the server is dropping your load request or something. I am on shadowlands.

SWTOR's loading screen is a whopping 5 to 10 MINUTES or longer.

That is crazy long.

I played Beta with a 2 -3 y old pc with 9600M GT 512 MB ( LOL ) with my friend who had even worse setup. It remember memory leak comments about Taris back then. Overall loading If we ever hit 5 min loading it was so rare. SWTOR is poorly optimized but later once both of us got new rigs the effects were dramatic. He has one with SSD and i7 and loading screens are a breeze.

I run i5 / GeForce GT555M 2Gb / 8 gig ram / Normal HD gets me loading time of seconds - 1 min plus. Friend tells me to defrag frequently. Assuming similar spec, no background programs, HD defraged the bottleneck is usually the state of your connection. Being on a fiber with 5 MB or 20 MB does not mean you are in the clear. In most cases the IP range (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) that your Internet Service Providers utilize for that particular package will vary DRAMATICALLY. The same 5 MB upload / download package would have IP that provide very different results for online games and loading screens . Some will have very unstable connection and be sluggish but provide max speeds. Others connection will be slightly slower but provide very stable connection. To the layman, it would seem the unstable connection has higher chance to make the whole loading process loop and take forever to load. I think this is deliberate design on the ISP part for different functionality. We would not notice this in other games but in SWTOR they are amplified :rolleyes:

Hence I note down what IP ( xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) work for games and disconnect until i get those. Jitter identifies the very worst IP but the best IP generally need to be identified from trial and error. Additionally If my loading exceed norm even if i am on the " Good IP", I would call up the ISP and tell them there is a " hang session" and to refresh the connection for me. After that i go back to try getting the IP range i want. Works all the time for me.

TLDR to help

- Internet Connection ( check jitter and find IP suitable for online games)

- SSD

- Defrag

- Don't run other programs with SWTOR to test baseline

Edited by Stovokor

• 1 year later...
It's not exaggeration

He probably lost connection. When I lost internet connection and tried to reconnect the loading screen would take very long. It could also be a very poor connection like 56k vs dsl/cable connection.

I'm running on an incredible system.. core i7 16gb ram, 2 6970s in crossfire.

Windows is on an SSD raid 0 array, tor is on a completely seperate SSD drive.

some planets still take 3-4 min. (not exaggerating) to load... taris is a good example.

I have i7 24 GB of RAM, 4x 5870, 2x 840 Pro SSD arrays (4 drives) and I have the same loading times like you sometimes even longer. So I alt tab and watch youtube or read forums until the content loads. I have 300 Mbit with 50 Mbit connection, plenty of jiggawatts for this game. The only game that does this i must say. Any other MMO I tried with 5 times the population I am used too, around me, ran better and smoother than this. Lol 2s for speeder to show up :D. In any other game the speeder is instant. Look at the fleet, you go along it ... pop the game chokes , continue to run it .... pop the game chokes again.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

i think drive patch fragmentation might be to blame, i copied the whole folder to another drive and load times went way down, i think during patching file pieces get put all over the place slowing down the read speed of spinning hard drives, you have to remember these world maps are huge, so whenever they fix something in a patch it doesn't necessarily get written to be read sequentially. So it makes the drive jump all over the place to load up. For this to work it has to be copied over to another drive physical or logical doesn't matter, but it wont work inside the same drive because the file location wont be changed just the address will.

Bottom line the older your installation is in one location the longer your loading times will be, dont know if this fix works for everyone but it works for me, also i recently copied the folder over to my ssd after the latest patch and load times are under 1 min.

Edited by TGCRemo

• 2 weeks later...