How would people feel about account wide Cargo access?

Kelbun

I have mentioned this in other threads. My original idea was for a Legacy Cargo access. Purchasable through the Legacy system and all toons on that server could access and store items and credits from it. II was discussing this with someone who dropped TOR prior to 1.2 and he mentioned that Diablo 3 is the same way. All money gained in that account was all in one big pile that any character on that account could access and all "bank" storage was universal to that account. I think that is awesome and would be a great idea for TOR. I also think all account companions should be able to craft from mats stored there, bring mats farmed to the cargo hold and not into your bag. This would also eliminate the uselessness of having Imp only recipes on my Republic toons and having to level the same proffessions twice on two different servers.

What do you guys think?

It would be a great addition. Anyone that has crafted on multiple toons knows the pain of trying to remember which character has all your mats so you can craft something. I'd love it if the crafted items from other toons could be posted there too so you could access them once they were complete.

as someone with 16 characters across 3 servers...

I'd love it.

If you can do it across all characters on the same account no matter what server, then yeah, it would be awesome. Not so much the credits, but the items, yes.

I'm actually shocked that a legacy bank wasn't a legacy reward in 1.2 and hasn't even been mentioned for 1.3. I mean, crafting from the bank, guild bank, legacy system promoting leveling alts........surely they've thought of this, amirite? Maybe they're saving it for a microtransaction? Yes, we can mail stuff, but come on now. Why wasn't this a feature of 1.2? It would easily be the best legacy feature. None of the other legacy features are even worth having, unless you want to make sith jedi or whatnot. Adding this would bring the total to 2 legacy features worth mentioning.

Merely the most likely technical hurdles of a cross server bank boggle my mind.

You may's well ask for complete photorealism in 3d, a total Mac port with Objective-C sub-program access through a cross-compatible API while you're at it.

Merely the most likely technical hurdles of a cross server bank boggle my mind.

You may's well ask for complete photorealism in 3d, a total Mac port with Objective-C sub-program access through a cross-compatible API while you're at it.

You throw out obj c and the rest, so I'm assuming you're fairly up on tech. Considering that, I'm going to assume that you're not a dev. Everything in your inventory or on your character is an item in a database. It wouldn't be that hard to have a cross server bank. Cross server companion crafting? More difficult, but possible if they wanted to do it. ROI wouldn't be that great considering the other issues the game has (for companion crafting more so than account bank itself). Still, it wouldn't be that hard to add another database connection and query/command object(s) to a database that solely handles account bank items.

The only difficult part of this would be making sure that it doesn't kill performance. Considering the performance issues many people have had and still have (many, not all), I'd say that drawback wouldn't hold Bioware back. What would (I hope) is the fact that it's development time that could be spent fixing bugs. The other main hold up would be that they clearly don't have a strong data team. I say that since they didn't have automated character transfers ready to go out of the gate. Not that they should have made them available to us on request, but they should have been ready for use when the new areas opened (Asia). But that's another topic.

I have mentioned this in other threads. My original idea was for a Legacy Cargo access. Purchasable through the Legacy system and all toons on that server could access and store items and credits from it. II was discussing this with someone who dropped TOR prior to 1.2 and he mentioned that Diablo 3 is the same way. All money gained in that account was all in one big pile that any character on that account could access and all "bank" storage was universal to that account. I think that is awesome and would be a great idea for TOR. I also think all account companions should be able to craft from mats stored there, bring mats farmed to the cargo hold and not into your bag. This would also eliminate the uselessness of having Imp only recipes on my Republic toons and having to level the same proffessions twice on two different servers.

What do you guys think?

Good idea I think, I'd buy it for sure. Also I wouldn't mind having more cargohold tabs. :jawa_tongue:

You throw out obj c and the rest, so I'm assuming you're fairly up on tech. Considering that, I'm going to assume that you're not a dev. Everything in your inventory or on your character is an item in a database. It wouldn't be that hard to have a cross server bank. Cross server companion crafting? More difficult, but possible if they wanted to do it. ROI wouldn't be that great considering the other issues the game has (for companion crafting more so than account bank itself). Still, it wouldn't be that hard to add another database connection and query/command object(s) to a database that solely handles account bank items.

The only difficult part of this would be making sure that it doesn't kill performance. Considering the performance issues many people have had and still have (many, not all), I'd say that drawback wouldn't hold Bioware back. What would (I hope) is the fact that it's development time that could be spent fixing bugs. The other main hold up would be that they clearly don't have a strong data team. I say that since they didn't have automated character transfers ready to go out of the gate. Not that they should have made them available to us on request, but they should have been ready for use when the new areas opened (Asia). But that's another topic.

Next time you're near a droid, have your sarcasm detector meter repaired. :-)

The game doesn't have the tech to handle something like that, and I'd rather they work out the rest of the content improvement before they attempt to work on something like this.

Good idea, shame the game didn't have it in the plans.

Speaking as a software developer, depending how the database is organized yes it is entirely possible to implement such a system. However, if the each server has it's own database this would make the problem much more difficult as you would have to ensure there is no backdoor to allow users to duplicate items etc... and the transaction system (assuming that the database is relational) will be an issue across servers.

Given that, I do like the idea and as a crafter I can definately see the use for this, especially as on a lot of the servers the GTN has almost dried up. Ironically, the only thing that is selling on the server I am (Lord Ieldis, sp?) is lvl6 crafting materials, like Mandalorian Iron and Power Crystals.

been asking for it on the forums for months ... its such a pain to remember which alt has what mats and such.

our g/leader has been offline so i cant even get him to promote my alts so that i can use the build bank for this. do guildbanks even allow you to use mats for your crafting? i suppose not.

i love that crafting mats can be used from your bank or your bags, but when its across chars ... its a real killer.

Great idea - should go in the suggestion thread. :) Considering how easy it is to send credits/items/etc. to your alts anyways, they might as well consolidate it all. Seeing as how they're trying to keep adding things to their Legacy system, I can see this happening.