ToR is a success, dont feed no trolls.

vaknyuszi

Yup this was almost a game of thrones or lord of the rings MMO http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/21/star-wars-the-old-republic-could-have-been-a-game-of-thrones-mmo/“If we were going to do a Game of Thrones MMO, what kind of rules and what kind of gameplay elements would really bring that world to life? Each one had that, but we always focused on the story at the fore.” In those early stages, a compelling narrative was more important than the setting. “When we were first were deciding on what kind of game we were going to build, I really wanted to do a story-based massively multiplayer game because hey, it hadn’t been done before,” Ohlen said. “I thought: hey, good way to innovate – that’s what Bioware stands for and that’s what we’re good at.”

The irony is that if the number of people in that screenshot showed up in one place on a live server it would either lag you out, or spawn a new instance.

Edited by Gungan

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony is that if the number of people in that screenshot showed up in one place on a live server it would either lag you out, or spawn a new instance.

hehe yeah .. looks great for a screenshot but the reality of this engine is it can barely handle more packets than a visual basic winsock library from 1998.

The only time (and I run at 4-9ms ping) this game is smooth is when no one is around lol...

So you are literally the only one on your server? No? Well then, it's not dead. :rolleyes:

Lol.... seriously? I mean until there is only 1 person on a server it's not a dead server?.... riiiiight :rolleyes:

Edited by Drakkip

Lol.... seriously? I mean until there is only 1 person on a server it's not a dead server?.... riiiiight :rolleyes:

Don't worry.

That's about all the sense you are going to get out of fanboys.

“We had an in-built fanbase with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic,” Ohlen said. “In fact, when you ask our fans “what kind of MMO would you like us to build?” they almost always say “how about Knights of the Old Republic massively multiplayer game?”

they probably should have hired some senior people from some successful MMOs then.. I was a fanboi, bought into the hype, and really thought they would pull off a KOTOR MMO. instead, they made KOTOR 3 with less polished graphics, and did the multi-player thing as an afterthought, rather than an integral part of the game.

there's really nothing massive about ToR.. :( unless you're referring to the emptiness.

Breaking even isn't exactly a success story. And even if it is marginally profitable, that would make it a relative financial success(which may be enough for the shareholders, but not the average gamer) - not a success.

The industry regards games like Rift as a success. A first time independent company launching a competitive MMO cleanly. Though it may indeed have a fraction of the subscriber base - it's probably more respected than SWTOR.

This is for the reason SWTOR was possibly one of the most well equipped development projects the industry had ever seen -it had the license, the backing, the support base, the marketing power, the money to deliver an impeccable first rate MMO that would storm the market. Instead we got a haphazard and unbalanced game with little longevity that within 4 months lost half of its subscriber base.

Rift, comparably as an example, did relatively great things with limited resources. SWTOR was given everything on a plate and ended up creating a somewhat archaic game with unwanted "revolutionary" voiced NPCs - which may I say - has never been something I've heard an MMO player say was missing from their game (I suggest a restructuring of your R&D department Bioware). In fact, the idea of placing such emphasis on NPCs seems incoherent with the genre considering the point of an MMO is to be playing with other human beings. Bioware's formula for SWTOR was flawed from the day they invested so much time and effort in the levelling process, and not enough in systems that enhance the longevity of the game.

Edited by Descent

- All the dead servers with 20 min pvp queues that lead to 6v8 teams are part of your imagination.

- The 10% of your original guildmates that are still left ... also part of your imagination

- The layoffs at bioware ... also your imagination.

- the drop in ea quarterly earning ... same thing .. imagination.

- The desperate free month of sub time while they get things togeher, also your imagination.

... or maybe not.

SWTOR is a great game and has great potential, but it seems the management just don't get it. Prioritising LFG systers over server transfers and rated warfonts seems like they just don't get us. That's the real problem with swtor.

For swtor to be profitable and successful it need.

- Merge-servers or create a super server.

- X-server pvp

- a legacy system worth a damn

- end game content so people will actually want to log in. (Rated PVP/PVE, open world pvp, dynamic dungeons, or even alts worth playing)

Edited by Orangerascal

EA said Tor will be very profitable with 500k subs, so far we are not near that, don't know how far under 500k they can go and hope it never gets to that point world wide. By the time they merge servers get things where they want, it will make some kind of profit for a very long time..:)

This thread reminds me of what we see on Crackberry (RIM is taking a huge hit in stock price). Here's an example:

Negative post:

I'm almost dying here! In just one hour of active trading RIMM's stock is already more than 5% down now with an all-time low trading at $12.07!! What the are the investors seeing?! RIM unveiling a land phone or something?? Two cans with a connecting thread???

An analog snake game?? This is effin insane and insulting!!!

What's happening up there in Orlando?!?!

Positive ("fanboy") post:

Well TBH, the market values a stock at the return the stock gives not future potential unless that potential can be measured.

While RIM has shown great innovations, they are not likely to translate into revenue anytime soon and that's what the stock price is reflecting.

As of now RIM is a value stock not an earning stock. Any investor looks at what the stock will earn him from the date of purchase and past history is showing that the shares will not give much return over the next quarter. So those who are looking for future value and are willing to take risks will obviously want to buy at a lower price. Since there are no takers at full price (whatever that might be), the value investors are dictating the price.

Once RIM gets their final device to market and if it does well then you would see a positive movement in stock. However as things stand now, no one can guarantee a that the final product will bring in revenue, so the market is waiting for the final device to come on market before bidding up on RIMM.

The similarities between what I see here and there are eerie. Of course, EA relies on much more than just one game, while RIM sinks or swims with how well (or poorly) Blackberry does.