Why don't you play all 8 class story lines?

Galbatorrix

I'm looking, but it was pre-release, so it may be hard to find. I think Fansite Summit. But they did say that one of the endgame activities is experiencing the other storylines. So that was their intent.

So they said it at a fan summit but never advertised the game as being an exercise in leveling alts. Leveling in general, and alt leveling especially, is one of the most tedious things you can do in an MMO. They're probably still scratching their heads over all the people leaving in droves if they thought alt leveling would be a sufficient end game activity.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started 7 toons. Capped a Sent and have a Shadow at 45, a Trooper at 35, etc. etc. etc. And I'm having a blast. I go back to my Sent daily, to do endgame, help out guildies and generally just have fun looking around. With my other toons, its all business. Quests and progression through the story are my focus. IMO, they are all unique because even though the side quests are the same, the way you accomplish them is totally different. I enjoy that quite a bit and find the strengths and weaknesses of each class heightens the replay ability.

So... I'll just keep going. I find it interesting that there has been a great deal of flight from the game in general because it is boring. I don't find it boring, but I do think that there are things to improve to keep the game viable.

However, the game, like any experience is what you make it. I can overlook the flaws because I came here to game and have fun. I have found exactly that with TOR, fun. So... if the game is dying than I will ride it out until it is dead. I'm getting my moneys worth so, I'll turn out the lights when I'm done.

I bought this game to play it as an MMO meaning that i spend the majority of my time with other players, experincing group and or raid content with others. I didn't buy this game to play it as KotoR 3-10. I have 3 level 50's, and 3 others in chapter 2 of their stories, but i find it harder and harder to log in and play solo...

When it comes to single player games there are many that are far better then this; and with a good download speed are far cheaper then this game.

So they said it at a fan summit but never advertised the game as being an exercise in leveling alts. Leveling in general, and alt leveling especially, is one of the most tedious things you can do in an MMO. They're probably still scratching their heads over all the people leaving in droves if they thought alt leveling would be a sufficient end game activity.

If saying it isn't "advertising", then they didn't "advertise" any endgame. TOR has more endgame than any other MMO ever has. The problem is that it's too easy, and people are finishing it too fast, especially the Content Locusts.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I'm looking, but it was pre-release, so it may be hard to find. I think Fansite Summit. But they did say that one of the endgame activities is experiencing the other storylines. So that was their intent.

Was it their intent or did they simply realize that their game is lite on end game content so they looked for anything they could to "improve" the situation; in this case, telling us that repeating 70% of the content was an end game activity.

The question is this: Which came first, the lack of end game content or their explanation for what constitutes end game content? I'll give you a hint... it's not the latter.

Knowing this, it's plausible they encouraged alt-grinding in place of their lack of an end game. How do I know this is the case? They're making a concerted effort to plumb up the end game experience (read: they know alt-grinding isn't sufficient enough to sustain end game players despite telling us it is).

This, assuming your "quote" is true and accurate.

Edited by Dezzi

Because I'm not about to play the same quests on every planet 8 times to get 5 unique class quests out of the experience.

I'm also not going to play a class I'm not at all interested in playing from a gameplay point of view.

Why don't you play all 8 class story lines?

Actually I am, but I have one “main” per faction and the rest are only up to the capital worlds…trying to level in pairs, one per faction in order to maximize rested XP…I don’t have nearly the amount of free time to play as some others do…I am one of the “filthy” casuals that seem to be the root of all MMO evil.

Then, I'm sorry my friend, but this was not the game for you. /shrug

Yep.. designing a game that makes some of us press the space bar 100,001 times to skip though the same boring general missions is genius.. /shrug

I played sorcerer as my first character , like the story. Came the the same conclusion everyone else did with life at 50.

Tried to make a Bounty Hunter and got to level 10 i think before I couldnt summon the will to log that character again.

Just didnt have the replay value for me.

i just can't deal with load screens. I like the game a lot but the loading screens makes me not want to play it. I have not logged in since a week after 1.3 came out. Everytime i think about playing I think about all the loading screens and all the quest that require you go back and fourth between 2 planets. The loading screen and no LFG is my main problems with the game. I have a 50 trooper and 4 other characters between 31-40. Everytime i want to log in to this game i ended up just playing D3 or logging into WoW to check my mail and post a few thing to the AH...which reminds me I should post some stuff to AH since its the weekend.

Edited by samht

i just can't deal with load screens. I like the game a lot but the loading screens makes me not want to play it. I have not logged in since a week after 1.3 came out. Everytime i think about playing I think about all the loading screens and all the quest that require you go back and fourth between 2 planets. The loading screen and no LFG is my main problems with the game. I have a 50 trooper and 4 other characters between 31-40. Everytime i want to log in to this game i ended up just playing D3 or logging into WoW to check my mail and post a few thing to the AH...which reminds me I should post some stuff to AH since its the weekend.

To be fair, I have seen a marked improvement in some of the loading screens. For example: Loading into a warzone, the Fleet, or even Ilum take a fraction of the amount of time they used to. However, planets like Belsavis, Tatoinne, Alderaan, Voss, Nar Shadaa....you get the point...still take a long - long - time to load.

Then, I'm sorry my friend, but this was not the game for you. /shrug

He has a point. when you done the world story's there is not point in seeing the same thing over and over. I do the same all but the class story's.

Was it their intent or did they simply realize that their game is lite on end game content so they looked for anything they could to "improve" the situation; in this case, telling us that repeating 70% of the content was an end game activity.

The question is this: Which came first, the lack of end game content or their explanation for what constitutes end game content? I'll give you a hint... it's not the latter.

Knowing this, it's plausible they encouraged alt-grinding in place of their lack of an end game. How do I know this is the case? They're making a concerted effort to plumb up the end game experience (read: they know alt-grinding isn't sufficient enough to sustain end game players despite telling us it is).

This, assuming your "quote" is true and accurate.

Found it, Mr. Doubting Thomas. And since it was clear back at PAX 2010 that the statement was made by Blaine Christine, kinda hard to say the so-called "lack of content" came before that (even though TOR has more content at 5 months old than any other MMO in history, just needs its difficulty raised). Here:

Because it's a BioWare game with BioWare storytelling and multiple branches through the stories -- part of our endgame is players playing through classes that they haven't played or replaying through certain classes to see how certain companion characters or certain branches can affect the outcome of that particular storyline.

Source

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Found it, Mr. Doubting Thomas. And since it was clear back at PAX 2010 that the statement was made by Blaine Christine, kinda hard to say the so-called "lack of content" came before that (even though TOR has more content at 5 months old than any other MMO in history, just needs its difficulty raised). Here:

Source

I especially love the part about branching stories and how companion characters can affect different branches. Oops! Guess they forgot to put that part in. :rolleyes:

Source

I like the premise behind what the person was saying. However, lets look at the actual interview and, more specifically, the question and the full answer to it:

Massively: What can players expect from the endgame?

Blaine Christine: Let me preface it by saying that we know endgame content is very important for folks, so it is something we are definitely going to focus on. We have not released a lot of details yet, but what we have said is that we will indeed have raids. We haven't announced specifics around what will definitely be endgame content. Additionally, we have mentioned our player vs. player Warzones. We will have multiple Warzones. Those will mostly be higher-level content, where players participate in larger player vs. player battles, where they experience epic Star Wars ground combat on kind of a grand scale. Then beyond that, we expect -- because it's a BioWare game with BioWare storytelling and multiple branches through the stories -- part of our endgame is players playing through classes that they haven't played or replaying through certain classes to see how certain companion characters or certain branches can affect the outcome of that particular storyline. Additionally, we will have the auction house, crafting and harvesting, guild play, and all the things people are expecting out of an MMO.

The red part is what is quoted in your link. It conveniently left out the parts that are in yellow.

Edit: Fixed my link - had the wrong one. :eek:

Edited by snwmnx

I like the premise behind what the person was saying. However, lets look at the actual interview and, more specifically, the question and the full answer to it:

The red part is what is quoted in your link. It conveniently left out the parts that are in yellow.

What part was inconvenient for me, exactly? I stated at the very beginning of the discussing that playing all 8 storylines was part of the stated the endgame. Read the whole damned thing, I don't care. That's why I linked it. Still says what I was saying.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I especially love the part about branching stories and how companion characters can affect different branches. Oops! Guess they forgot to put that part in. :rolleyes:

Conversation choices within story missions can vary based on who you are with.

Conversation choices within story missions can vary based on who you are with.

He probably thinks that "branching" means the story takes a totally new path. However, that's not what "branching" means.

Think of a tree. It has many branches, but all branches are still attached to the trunk.

For example:

Towards the end of Chapter 2 in the Smuggler storyline, you go back to Port Nowhere and are standing with Darmus waiting on hold on a holocall for Senator Dodonna. If you take Corso with you, he says some things about waiting, if I remember right. That's one branch.

However, if you take Bowdaar, he gets into an argument with the bartender droid, and the next thing you know you see a broken droid fly through the air behind you. Hilarious. That's another separate branch.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

What part was inconvenient for me, exactly? I stated at the very beginning of the discussing that playing all 8 storylines was part of the stated the endgame. Read the whole damned thing, I don't care. That's why I linked it. Still says what I was saying.

I wasn't trying to be hostile toward you, prove you wrong, or cause anything remotely close to this kind of reaction. I had not read that interview, thought it curious that your link was NOT to the interview, and went looking. I don't think anything is convenient for YOU, but rather for a broader context.

I am sorry if you thought it was an attack. It absolutely was not.