PvP in 1.3 from Darth Hater

cycao

In 1.3, we're making some balance and quality of life adjustments. The highlights include tanking survivability and threat generation, with an emphasis on getting all tanks on the same target, particularly where AOE threat is concerned.

Nerf bat to tanks in terms of damage. Nice.

Well yea tanks should never never ever be on the top of damage even if they have high survival.

Tanks should be like healers and have to be focus fired and very hard to kill, but have little damage.

Tanks should be like the bull dog on your leg and you can not get rid of them.

A. They will kill you slowly through time of beating on you.

B. The slow, stun and interupt you into being useless for your team.

I am glad to see in 1.3 they are going to FINAlLY FIX PROJECT TO MATCH SHOCK.

When asked if marauders would be nerfed, bioware responded

GOOD, GOOOD let the butthurt FLOW through you....or learn to play, one or the other.

@Tanks Damage-Only Shadow/Assassin tanks need to be looked at. There is an Imp Sin on my server who TOPS dps (400K+ most matches) every game. Add that to two or fewer deaths and it makes a Sentinel feel very bad.

Edited by cyvaris

I think they are aware of the issue and are likely taking steps. Just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't mean it won't be therer.

Judging by the track record so far there's a very good chance they aren't even remotely aware. Testing past the the basic technical implementation has been...insufficient to put it mildly.

Well yea tanks should never never ever be on the top of damage even if they have high survival.

No tank spec in this game has high burst damage. The sustained damage of full or hybrid tank specs in dps gear is decent, but sustained damage doesn't kill in team based PvP.

Vanguards/PTs, Guards/Juggs and Shadows/Sins specced primarily in their respective middle or right tree and using the according stance aren't tanks.

Edited by Blurps

I think to be fair Bioware did tell us early on that 1.3 was going to be a gameplay improvement patch whereas 1,4 will be the big one for new content next. that's fine by me as adding a PvE server queue is a big thing as it will get a lot of the casual PvP crowd into PvE I think.

Ill have to see how this new system will work but if one can sign up for ranked while doing unranked, I think the only way it will work is allowing 8 man teams in unranked..so that just about shuts down pvp for anyone but premades....so we may have just seen the end of this game in pvp for anyone not in a guild. we'll see how this goes but if that is correct why bother having unranked?

Nice to see they admit that cross faction abilities are NOT mirrored then ! "Visual improvements" ? - Ohhh, I see ! you made new animations ? :p They still aren't properly mirrored though, am I right in assuming that then ?

Did you read what you quoted? The entire problem with things like Project IS the animation. Damage occurs based on the animation. By fixing the animation, they fix the inconsistency between these abilities. They are mirrored in terms of effect and numbers in game, the only existing differences are animations -- fixing them, fixes the problem.

Nothing was said about that. Tanks aren't putting out too much damage. The problem is that tanks can't really tank right now since they die too fast, so all the "tanks" you see are geared for DPS. That's not really a tank. Giving tanks better mitigation gives them a reason to tank in PvP -- which is what has been missing.

The only thing that really stood out to me was an 8 man ops when waiting for the ranked queue can join a normal warzone while waiting. Mainly being ranked warzones will be for "hardcore" geared players vs the "casual" I just hit 50 lets PvP players. If you will only be playing against another 8 man premade it might not be so bad but who knows. I'm just happy they are listening to us.

Also am curious to see what changes are going to be made balance wise. I'm glad they are taking another look at the BH/commando I feel that class needs some work they got hit the hardest imho.

Ill have to see how this new system will work but if one can sign up for ranked while doing unranked, I think the only way it will work is allowing 8 man teams in unranked..so that just about shuts down pvp for anyone but premades....so we may have just seen the end of this game in pvp for anyone not in a guild. we'll see how this goes but if that is correct why bother having unranked?

They only way the system will work is with server transfers. I cannot see ranked warzones working without this feature being implemented into the game. They know some servers cannot get 8 guys to group together let along match them up with another. I don't think not being in a guild will hurt, I am guildless and always have people who want to group.

Edited by cycao

They only way the system will work is with server transfers. I cannot see ranked warzones working without this feature being implemented into the game. They know some servers cannot get 8 guys to group together let along match them up with another. I don't think not being in a guild will hurt, I am guildless and always have people who want to group.

They already said server transfers are coming in 1.3.

They already said server transfers are coming in 1.3.

I know I guess what I wanted to get across that I think 8 man queues will work with server transfers as it wouldn't work now with the current state of most servers.

I know I guess what I wanted to get across that I think 8 man queues will work with server transfers as it wouldn't work now with the current state of most servers.

Oh yes agreed, which is why I think they've been holding off on the whole thing. I think they really do understand a lot of this stuff, they just aren't implementing or communicating things very well. Those two things are killer in an MMO community.

One thing everyone seems to be missing is that Ranked Warzones WILL need a gear check. There are enough idiots in this game already saying they don't need Recruit gear/any PvP gear. If Bioware allows those kind of players into Ranked the entire system will fall apart.

Oh yes agreed, which is why I think they've been holding off on the whole thing. I think they really do understand a lot of this stuff, they just aren't implementing or communicating things very well. Those two things are killer in an MMO community.

I'm thinking we are going to get more in depth detail Friday with the Q&A since that is all on 1.3. A date would be nice since our server has already thrown out the idea of transferring.

I'm thinking we are going to get more in depth detail Friday with the Q&A since that is all on 1.3. A date would be nice since our server has already thrown out the idea of transferring.

Yeah, we definitely need more details about how server transfers will work. I'm hoping they control the whole thing and funnel certain servers towards others. So 10 low pop all can transfer onto one mid-high pop, while another 10 low pop can transfer onto another one, etc. With changes and adjustments made as they go to get more servers with high populations. Otherwise people are just going to fill Fatman and a few others, create queues, and then complain about that...

Nothing was said about that. Tanks aren't putting out too much damage. The problem is that tanks can't really tank right now since they die too fast, so all the "tanks" you see are geared for DPS. That's not really a tank. Giving tanks better mitigation gives them a reason to tank in PvP -- which is what has been missing.

No, they are trying to fix the pve issue increasing the aggro tanks do. Basicly, decreasing the damage but increasing the aggro, also in terms of aoe, and survivality too. So you kill 2 birds with one shot. Tanks will get better aggro in pve and killing the Tankassin+ dps gear for PvP, which imo, is not working as intended.for. Tanks in PvP should NOT do even a decent damage. Is a defensive/protective role.

Is a smart movement, imo.

No, they are trying to fix the pve issue increasing the aggro tanks do. Basicly, decreasing the damage but increasing the aggro, also in terms of aoe, and survivality too. So you kill 2 birds with one shot. Tanks will get better aggro in pve and killing the Tankassin+ dps gear for PvP, which imo, is not working as intended.for. Tanks in PvP should NOT do even a decent damage. Is a defensive/protective role.

Is a smart movement, imo.

Nothing said indicates any change to damage -- only to threat. Increasing threat is all well and good, but I'm not sure too many tanks are really complaining about threat, at least not since Taunt mechanics in this game became more clearly understood. Other than AoE threat, and even that is open to debate. But we'll just have to wait and see patch notes to fully understand what they are doing.

This whole time they have been saying that rateds will be cross server. If that is put in, I dont really see the point to queue for both regular and ranked, but no big deal. They just need to release it already.

Nothing said indicates any change to damage -- only to threat. Increasing threat is all well and good, but I'm not sure too many tanks are really complaining about threat, at least not since Taunt mechanics in this game became more clearly understood. Other than AoE threat, and even that is open to debate. But we'll just have to wait and see patch notes to fully understand what they are doing.

They re revising aggro/survivality tanks and put them altogether at same level. Tanks need better aggro management, dont need damage cos it creates some issues in PvP. If you wanna do damage, pick a dps talent tree, not a tanking one. If a Sage can be healer, dps sucks for them. It doesnt happen with tanks like Assassins, for exmaple. It must be changed. They will.

Yeah I don't want to turn this into a nerf thread. Discuss possible changes but we don't need another nerf this and that post.

Yeah, but I don't see any feedback from them coming either. It's not so hard to write a few answers to subs, is it ?

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20452-darth-hater-interview-game-update-1-3-with-swtor

Originally slated for Game Update 1.2, Rated Warzones is one of the more highly anticipated PvP features by the community. Can you update us on the team's progress towards its release, or explain any changes to the system since we last spoke at the Guild Summit?

Rob Hinkle, Senior Designer: We are continuing to make good progress on the Ranked Warzone feature, with refinements based on our internal testing and the feedback we got on PTS last time around. For example, one of the things that we’ve added is the ability to queue for both Normal and Ranked Warzones at the same time, so players who are waiting for a Ranked game can also continue to play in normal games. When a Ranked game has enough players to launch, it will wait until everyone is finished playing their current Normal game, so Warzones don’t randomly empty out as Ranked games are launched.

Good idea in theory in practice. While waiting for Players 1-8 to get our of their Normal warzone, Players 9-16 just queue for another Normal warzone rather than wait around (since they won't know their queue has technically popped, but they're just waiting for the others to finish the warzone they're in, and then players 1-8 have to wait again, etc.

The only way this works is if a popup window or some non-intrusive notification comes up to tell players their WZ queue has popped, so they know not to requeue.