BW could do transfers now but hasn't...why?

NDiggy

We know BW can do transfers, but for some reason they haven't started them yet. What are they waiting for? As soon as the Aussie server transfers worked they should have started manual transfers on select low pop servers to select destination servers. Why hasn't BW done this yet?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They obviously can't or else they would have, we don't know the reason for the delay, could of been the board of directors (or w/e) that decided or could of been due to a numerous amount of technical problems. I doubt we will ever know.

Also, those transfers were buggy as hell and weren't done using an in-game system. Yes Bioware could do transfers now, but since were talking a much bigger project than manually moving characters like the last one was, it would probably be an experience filled with misery and woe.

Bioware is simply waiting for the in-game transfer system to be finished instead of manually moving everyone like they did with the Asia/Pacific people.

they should have started manual transfers

Manual transfers are a severe undertaking. I don't dare speculate how many times larger the population who currently wants to transfer is to the transfers they've already done, but believe me, it is MUCH more efficient for them to just take what they've learned and program a more autonomous system. Then they need to spend a rediculous amount of time testing every possible granule of a facet of the system with every possible variable they can possibly imagine... because all the religious deities help them if they implement this system and ANYONE loses ANYTHING during this transfer.

Manual transfers are a severe undertaking. I don't dare speculate how many times larger the population who currently wants to transfer is to the transfers they've already done, but believe me, it is MUCH more efficient for them to just take what they've learned and program a more autonomous system. Then they need to spend a rediculous amount of time testing every possible granule of a facet of the system with every possible variable they can possibly imagine... because all the religious deities help them if they implement this system and ANYONE loses ANYTHING during this transfer.

That's why they should start small. Help the servers with the lowest pops. They have the ability yet they refuse to use it.

In before

"they want your Monthly subs, so their taking their time, saying SOON in hopes of keeping you subbed for nothing...."

No, Transfers are something that would require allot of testing to be released, there can be a bug where you char looses all Skills, or items. they're taking their time for the better of it, It's not like they can flip a switch and magically happen.

I been in games where the Transfers was 50 bucks with no items for the longest time, and servers worse then what we have in this game. We're not being Ignored, Trust me. I waited 2 years on a dead server for a free transfer in swg, and i think i can wait couple of weeks here.

I hope the do better management then What SOE did, in SWG every one went to Starsider(SWG ver of the Fatman) for their free transfer, unbalancing the population even worse, leaving some servers completely dead, also causing major lag issues.

We know BW can do transfers, but for some reason they haven't started them yet. What are they waiting for? As soon as the Aussie server transfers worked they should have started manual transfers on select low pop servers to select destination servers. Why hasn't BW done this yet?

There are three Asian servers.

There are 200+ non-Asian servers.

If they were ready, we'd have them. They are not holding them back. The pacific transfers were manually transferred and it was a limited population that was eligible. The transfers comig is a robust system so we can handle are own transfers.

There are three Asian servers.

There are 200+ non-Asian servers.

Then start with the 3 lowest pop servers. You're telling me they couldn't handle that? Heck, as low as the pops on those servers are, they could probably do 6 or even 9 servers.

If they were ready, we'd have them. They are not holding them back. The pacific transfers were manually transferred and it was a limited population that was eligible. The transfers comig is a robust system so we can handle are own transfers.

They can do manual transfers, so why not get a head start? Help out the lowest pop servers. The players on those servers are happy and BW looks like they're actually being proactive. Its a win/win proposition.

There's a big difference in transferring players and their legacy to an empty server and transferring a player to a server that may already have their legacy name on it, so let me give you a scenario. With all this talk about Fatman, let's assume I started a character and a new legacy on Fatman with every intention of paying for a transfer when the Character Transfer Service is available. At this point I have two legacies, Johnson on Hedarr Soongh and Smith on Fatman.

Well, the day has come, and I want to transfer my Johnson legacy to Fatman, which contains my Smith legacy. Therein lies the problem. You can't have two legacies on the same server, so something had to be done. This is one of a few reasons why a Character Transfer Service is a bit more complicated than the Asia-Pacific transfers.

Edited by Anomorn

They can do manual transfers, so why not get a head start? Help out the lowest pop servers. The players on those servers are happy and BW looks like they're actually being proactive. Its a win/win proposition.

So you're suggesting that they take away labor from creating an automatic transfer system so they can manually transfer legacies? Come on, man.

Edited by Anomorn

This.

Also - that message made sense and is without any angry drool on it how did you get here good sir ? :-)

The same people work on both?

The labor has to come from somewhere, and yes, I'm assuming the developers they're having work on the database system that will allow transfers are the same ones working on the transfer system. I could be wrong, but either way, they're working on a number of things in Austin. To be able to start manually transferring characters they would have to redistribute labor.

No, not this.

Actually yes - that. They have lots of people working on PR why not put a little more work on something like manual transfers ? They are needed and yes would not change the situation but would at least show that they care a little instead of making more and more promos.

We know that they could do the comparably small amount and more simple transfers they did before.You don't have any idea if they're capable of the much larger amount and more complicated transfers they'd be doing in the near future. Please don't spam up this forum with assumptions.

So you're suggesting that they take away labor from creating an automatic transfer system so they can manually transfer legacies? Come on, man.

I think they have moved the people working on transfers to moderarate the new server transfer/merge threads that pop out every 5 minutes or so. How else can it take 5 months?

Actually yes - that. They have lots of people working on PR why not put a little more work on something like manual transfers ? They are needed and yes would not change the situation but would at least show that they care a little instead of making more and more promos.

I see your point, but I assure you, the people working on PR have degrees in marketing and public relations. They're not the kind of people you can sit behind a computer and tell them to start transferring characters.

There's a big difference in transferring players and their legacy to an empty server and transferring a player to a server that may already have their legacy name on it, so let me give you a scenario. With all this talk about Fatman, let's assume I started a character and a new legacy on Fatman with every intention of paying for a transfer when the Character Transfer Service is available. At this point I have two legacies, Johnson on Hedarr Soongh and Smith on Fatman.

Well, the day has come, and I want to transfer my Johnson legacy to Fatman, which contains my Smith legacy. Therein lies the problem. You can't have two legacies on the same server, so something had to be done. This is one of a few reasons why a Character Transfer Service is a bit more complicated than the Asia-Pacific transfers.

Those servers weren't empty. They'd been open for at least a month before they had transfers so they had worked out the legacy issues. Many Aussies had legacies merged together. They know how to do it. They should start transfers.