Space Combat

Karaokelove

Ok, I don't know why people are complaining about space combat. I finally got my ship tonight and I've gotta say that I thought the space combat system was just a ton of fun! The fact that it's a "rail shooter" allows them to put in so much more detail and drama than if it was free-form. It kind of reminds me of Starfox 64 singleplayer. The only complaints I have are that there aren't more space missions to choose from (at least initially) and the fact that there's a pretty severe lack of instructions. For instance, I still don't know what it means when I start shooting a ship and blue waves start coming out. I assume they represent shields, but I can't tell if those shielded parts are just harder to kill or indestructible. But other than those minor complaints, I've gotta give their space combat system an A+. Eventually it would be cool to see some multiplayer space combat, but I have no idea how they would implement it without it using entirely different mechanics.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I don't know why people are complaining about space combat. I finally got my ship tonight and I've gotta say that I thought the space combat system was just a ton of fun! The fact that it's a "rail shooter" allows them to put in so much more detail and drama than if it was free-form. It kind of reminds me of Starfox 64 singleplayer. The only complaints I have are that there aren't more space missions to choose from (at least initially) and the fact that there's a pretty severe lack of instructions. For instance, I still don't know what it means when I start shooting a ship and blue waves start coming out. I assume they represent shields, but I can't tell if those shielded parts are just harder to kill or indestructible. But other than those minor complaints, I've gotta give their space combat system an A+. Eventually it would be cool to see some multiplayer space combat, but I have no idea how they would implement it without it using entirely different mechanics.

I really enjoy them as well, a great alternative to questing/pvp.

Is anyone elses bugged though? I can't damage enemy ships at all even though I'm attempting the basic missions with my ship upgraded as much as possible.

I really enjoy them as well, a great alternative to questing/pvp.

Is anyone elses bugged though? I can't damage enemy ships at all even though I'm attempting the basic missions with my ship upgraded as much as possible.

yes.. many ppl seems to have it.. i cant find any threds about it though..

For what they wanted to do, it's well done. The problem that people are having is that it's far inferior to the previous games. But BioWare said they are doing a big update to that soon so let's wait and see. Edited by Dreossk

Left click guns/right click harder targets will fire missles when you aim at it with retical, but you only have so many missles remember that. In fact a few missions you can only damage things with the missles so you need to aim and shoot with them. It also puts a blue ring around the target when you have a missle lock. :eek: Edited by Streak

Are you guys actually playing the space combat today?

I tried it a couple of days ago on my first character and enjoyed it, finished the first tier of missions.

Then had to switch servers because of rediculous Queus on my original one.. got to the same missions.. now lasers dont do any damage, missiles launch from about 100 meters behind my ship and the ship also seems to be moving on the wrong rails - it took me right through several of the capital ships (as in through them so that i could see the insides of the ship model as mine passed through it). Its the same for all the first ship missions for me and lots of people in my guild chat are saying the same thing....

The space missions have a lot of unmet potential, which is why so many people are cynical about it. The loss of control in 3D space is too large for many.

The comparison to Star Fox is a good one, though, as that shows what the space shooter could grow to be. That won't appeal to everyone, but then again, it's completely optional. From what I can tell, not too many resources were put into it, and in the end, that's a good thing as it could distract focus from the main game. From my point of view, it's a nice diversion from questing and running instances despite its many faults (plus, it gives incredible rewards).

Better than nothing I guess.

Still Id like it to at least be superior to star fox, it's 2011, you should expect at least the same depth as in a game that came out in 1993.

Right now it is just too shallow.

Also there should be more missions, I can't bother doing a new quest that tells me to go to the same mission again.

Edited by grcpan

Anyone know how to repair ship damage after doing space mission?

Or does it auto-heal with time??

Yes it does auto heal and all spent missiles are reacquired for the next mission.

What level do you get to do it at?

After your Level 16 story quest on the second planet. Drumond Kass for Empire and Coruscant for Republic.

I strong recommend getting the basic ship upgrades from the vendor once you get your ship. they help HUGELY at the start.

The fact that you can't control your ship is a bit of a let down, especially since i wanted to blow up Republic players ships, but it's a really fun mini-game anyway. It's a really nice wait to spend time while your companions are out to craft something and the rewards for daily quests are amazing, even if i crash evry time i do a mission with a space station so i can't do them untill there's no more queue to get into the server.

Offtopic: you can destroy shielded parts but they seem to take little to no domage from lasers and are generally not worth wasting missiles on. There are some very tought parts that give a bonus mission completion and 2kish experience when destroyed (space stations lower communication array, battleshieps command bridge) but require some massive firepower to destroy (around 16-20 missiles) so you need to focus them trough the entire mission if you want to destroy them.