(From Taugrim.com)SWTOR Has Repeated RIFT’s Mistakes in Endgame PVP

Lord_Karsk

I don't understand why he bought a WH offhand..

The rose colored glasses of pre 1.2 made me giggle a bit.

The PVP game was bad back then and somehow the most experienced team ever assembled made it worse.

I suppose if you are floating on a piece of wood out in the ocean and suddenly find yourself just trying to stay afloat with nothing to help you, the piece of wood would be considered the good times.

Edited by Razot

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this guy important and why should I care about his opinions on balance?

From his "Gaming History" page it looks like he has played mmos for about 20 years as a PvPer, yet never been a top level player (or even high level).

For anyone to claim they know absolutely what is balanced and what is not, especially when there is not currently any ranked so we can see what the best do best with is arrogant at best.

If you would have watch all his pvp videos, hinsights about tactics , strategy and game mechanics you would not be

embarazing yourself right now.

He may not be THE best, (although a VERY good one, way above average), but he is the best mmo PvP analist,so to speak, that has ever taken the interest to help with so much commitment to the "mmo PvP community". He is always spot on. If i were a dev i would hire this guy ASAP.

So why should you listen to smart people you say...

A friend of mine stated this about Star Craft a few years ago: It requires the dexterity of a pianist while having the wit of a chess player. As a high diamond sc2 player (quit before master level came out), I have to agree with him.

No, we've been over this. Playing a Marauder is actually more difficult than playing other classes, according to Marauders. It requires a level of skill, talent, and dexterity that only a pianist has!

/sarcasm off

If you would have watch all his pvp videos, hinsights about tactics , strategy and game mechanics you would not be

He may not be THE best, (although a VERY good one, way above average), but he is the best mmo PvP analist,so to speak, that has ever taken the interest to help with so much commitment to the "mmo PvP community". He is always spot on. If i were a dev i would hire this guy ASAP.

Is he like the John Madden of MMO'ing?

QFT

The guy has probably helped more people be better pvpers than these pro leet dudes who are knocking him have ever played against in their lustrous pvp careers...

I'm not sure why people say 1.1.5 was more balanced when healers were basically god-mode back then.

Also, skill matters more than gear. I see a lot of bad people in WH gear that I can outplay on my half-recruit geared Sage. Gear progression is also relatively painless. It's about 5-10 games a piece for most of the easy BM gear.

Edited by ComeAndSee

He is basically whining about gear grind and class composition.

First of all, there is no gear grind in the game. At least not to be competitive in pvp, all it takes is a couple of days to get full BM gear.

The grind comes after, when you want to buy and optimize the crap out of your gear, and that's because the gear was intended for rated WZ, which are not here yet.

But to be competitive? no grind. Also this isn't WoW, since there is no autoattack buying WH weapon over several other pieces of gear was the worst decision to do. Every single piece of gear, weapon or not, its "just" for stats.

Second of all, class composition what? gear gap is more punishing than class composition. And the only wz where class composition means anything is huttball, and even then to ppl don't know what their role is.

And lastly, some person mentioned above that he has the mental ability to put his experience to good use. Im sorry but never rising to above average status in 20 years of gaming shows he does not.

A beginner who played swtor for 2 days has a better chance to be right on something, and that is just because 0.1% chance to be right is still better than 0%.

You don't like the gear farm to optimize your gear? fine, almost nobody does. But that doesn't stop you from being able to compete.

You whine about class composition? make a premade, solo queue is RNG after all.

I just think it is worth pointing out that his MMO experience is pretty much in the post-WoW MMO world jumping from different FOTM MMO WoW clones, all of whch have pretty weak PvP. Also this guy has a website that generates revenue by ads so it is in his personal best interest to have people move on to a new game so that more guides will be watched.

To PvP for 20 years, and never rise above average status. Is the epitome of fails.

That alone is reason enough for not caring what he has to say about balance in any game related issues.... ever

Taugrim has far greater insight into PvP and MMOs in general than most. His posts are always interesting and informative.

Can't say the same for yours. What does the D in Dmasterr stand for anyways? Wait. I can guess.

I see him play all the time on my server (Ajunta Pall), and there's no doubt he's put serious heart into this game, and I doubt he has any interest at all in getting people to move on.

Edited by clearsighted

Taugrim has far greater insight into PvP and MMOs in general than most. His posts are always interesting and informative.

It only appears so to players who posses even less skill, aka below average.

I see him play all the time on my server (Ajunta Pall), and there's no doubt he's put serious heart into this game, and I doubt he has any interest at all in getting people to move on.

trying your best and still be average, is not the same as succeeding and being pro.

I've followed Taugrim's blogs since Rift. I must say that I don't agree with him on these points. The recruit gear is pretty much a helping hand to get you started in pvp. It isn't the best gear by far but it does give you an easy start to an otherwise tough experience of being a fresh 50. What really gripes me is seeing a fresh 50 in WZs without this gear. Also, he considers being a fresh 50 a grindfest. In my opinion, it should be a bit of a grind to start with. However, it only takes a few days of playing to get a good start on BM gear. No fresh 50 should be able to be on equal footing with a War Hero geared player. That is rediculous. This game has never been a grind. For any player that played some of the early MMOs, every game since wow has really been a lot easier than the previous games.

Think you'd be surprised Dmasterr at how bad some people fail when it comes to basic co-ordination. My dad for example, when he played WoW, he'd know the rotations and work out how to get the most damage for mana, heals for mana, burst healing etc.. but then he straight up couldn't press the buttons in time while moving around. He just couldn't press the buttons properly under and sort of pressure - I know some of my friends do the same sort of things where they press the wrong buttons consistently because they play different games all the time and they bring over reflexes from each game to another.

Its perfectly legitimate for someone to be a good strategist but simply not have the mindset or co-ordination to pull it off under pressure or to adapt quickly to the changing environment that is PvP. Someone with 20+ years of experience I would expect more of course.

This is why I keep the same familiar keymap across all MMO games I play, even between characters in this game I keep the keymap identical (like knockback is key 6, stun is key 8, heal is key 0, etc). Practice makes perfect.

trying your best and still be average, is not the same as succeeding and being pro.

So who is your pro sponsor?

Where does one go to find out they've been below average for 20+ yrs at PVP across multiple games compared to pros like yourself? There some sort of secret ranking of all pvpers to ever pvp that you frequent?

What has been your contribution to the PVP community across multiple games for multiple years?

What's the link to your blog that's helped tons of people understand and flourish at pvp?

eagerly awaiting your pro responses

And yeah i think most of us agree.Good blog by Taugrim as always.This man knows more

about your own PvP BioWare then your PvP team.

http://taugrim.com/2012/05/20/swtor-has-repeated-rifts-mistakes-in-endgame-pvp/

Common mistake...

Someone who believes their opinion on what PvP should be imposes the opinion as the standard. Its nothing more than an opinion.

Personally I applaud Bioware for standing up and saying "this is how we want PvP to be structured and its our game."

Plis post a video of you playing, come on.... let me see iif you are even half as good as me or many here.....

Since you talk so big about other players skills.....

Edited by Lord_Karsk

So who is your pro sponsor?

Where does one go to find out they've been below average for 20+ yrs at PVP across multiple games compared to pros like yourself? There some sort of secret ranking of all pvpers to ever pvp that you frequent?

What has been your contribution to the PVP community across multiple games for multiple years?

What's the link to your blog that's helped tons of people understand and flourish at pvp?

eagerly awaiting your pro responses

Swtor may not have rankings atm, but wow does, starcraft does... other games do.

Contribution ? i'm not "here" to give, im here to take, lol. (All your base and rankings are belong to me!, lol )

Personally I applaud Bioware for standing up and saying "this is how we want PvP to be structured and its our game."

Yet they've changed multiple things since launch that was pvp related, don't think it's coming out the way they want it.

Taugrim had a lot of valid points in that piece. Swtor pvp is in a mess , and something needs to be done , it's already reached critically low participation on a lot of servers so now people are not bothering to log in because the wz queues are too long.

I believe Bioware will be more likely to listen to his point of view than those of the self proclaimed "i'm the best pvper in the village" types that unfortunately jump on most of the threads in the pvp board. Sorry i don't care about how good you are at pvp or that swtor pvp has always been bad or that the pvp on your other game is ten times as skillful . All these points are irrelevant and no one cares . Basically i'm not sure why these people even deigned to play the game in the first place since it is so beneath their godlike skills.

My suggestion to these Pro Leetzors is to get lost and go and play with someone who is up to their fine standards of play i.e. themselves.

Yet they've changed multiple things since launch that was pvp related, don't think it's coming out the way they want it.

Apparently you missed the interview.

Balancing is not the same as their overall vision. Balancing is simply a way to make sure nothing is out of alignment.

Taugrim had a lot of valid points in that piece. Swtor pvp is in a mess , and something needs to be done , it's already reached critically low participation on a lot of servers so now people are not bothering to log in because the wz queues are too long.

That is a problem with server population. The servers only queue up one WZ at a time if the population is too low. Even worse, it can't create a queue if not enough people are in it.

Apparently you missed the interview.

Balancing is not the same as their overall vision. Balancing is simply a way to make sure nothing is out of alignment.

Yes well currently it's difficult to align two teams of 8 up against each other on the majority of servers the majority of the time.

So I think BW's alignment is a bit off.

Yes well currently it's difficult to align two teams of 8 up against each other on the majority of servers the majority of the time.

That's not a pvp is broken issue though....

Um. Yeah. What the other guy said. That has nothing to do with PvP being "broken" or not. That's just a population issue.

I love it when people say there is no skill to playing SWTOR. Those are the same people that are free kills in any 1v1 situation with any class.

Also LOL at the above thread. I agree I have played all classess 40+ and marauders are no difficult than the other melee classes except for the fact that they do more damage and have better defense (lolwut).

There is little skill in playing any MMO.

PvP warriors in Rift is super face roll (properly specced the warriors in Rift can be played to 80% capacity with just 2 buttons (1 AP Spammer and 1 Finisher Spammer of course the pvp are mainly macro driven). Guess what that being said Taugrim played a...... WARRIOR (aka waqqior by many Rift form posters because they complain about the littlest thing you can imaging while they are arguably the most facerolled class in Rift).

He played a warrior early on and provided some very useful insights/strategies on how to play one well. I mostly encountered his Cleric in WZ, which I think became his main pvp-toon after they increased the ranks from 6 to 8. I wouldn't say he was the best pvper in Rift, but he had a calm, rational way of explaining things, never trash talked, and gave other players their due when he encountered good ones. I don't think you have to be a pvp-pro to contribute to the pvp-community, and he more than most was willing to do so.