Pay for a transfer or buy another game? VOTE

-Eternal-

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rofl.

These posts are just great.

Can't wait for people to run to GW2 and then say something like "Well, that was disappointing. But Elder Scrolls is going to change the MMO genre forever!"

Yeah those are just a few examples. When does Elder Scrolls come out?

What's their end-game PVE look like? "Features" are nice, but where is the actual game?

The pvp game consists of aoe / cleave mashing and fighting doors.

The pve content I've watched involved a warrior initiating the fight and getting stuck in a pillar.

Yeah those are just a few examples. When does Elder Scrolls come out?

Well, my point is that a large population will always believe the next game will be the next "big" thing.

Why do you think MMOs tend to not start as FTP? The initial sales from people who believe hype / make hype are huge. So they make serious cash of the initial sales, subs drop off, they either stay above the sub profitability range or switch to FTP which is almost guaranteed to make some profit, even if not as large as sub based.

One of the largest reasons for sub loss is that people feel betrayed that the games don't live up to the standard they hyped themselves into expecting.

Edited by metalgearyoda

Well, my point is that a large population will always believe the next game will be the next "big" thing.

Why do you think MMOs tend to not start as FTP? The initial sales from people who believe hype / make hype are huge. So they make serious cash of the initial sales, subs drop off, they either stay above the sub profitability range or switch to FTP which is almost guaranteed to make some profit, even if not as large as sub based.

One of the largest reasons for sub loss is that people feel betrayed that the games don't live up to the standard they hyped themselves into expecting.

I think people are simply looking for the next solid MMO, which has not been any for many years with all of the failed MMOs on the market today. SW:ToR appears to quickly be falling in line with the rest of the "here today and gone tomorrow" titles unfortunantly. With server transfers and merges already needed in swtor, its will certainly motivate people to try the next big title, whether it ends up being good or not. I'm not sure swtor has at this point established itself as an MMO with solid potential and certainly not enough to be asking for paid transfers.

Edited by -Eternal-

new games ! UNLESS you're still having a blast and everythings still fresh and fun. Me personally I started working on endgame gear and after 3 weeks realized how sad it was than cried myself right on over to new releases :p . Than I laughed hysterically and felt much happier. Kept my sub here ( for now ) but until they get their heads screwed on facing forward I'm going to enjoy all the other fun stuff out there.

Neither. I'm happy with my server. If my server pop was keeping me from content that I wanted to get to, I'd probably play on a different server, at least temporarily. I have alt characters on 3 servers from launch, when no one knew how the individual servers would shake out.

No interested in other games at the moment. I wouldn't pay for transfers unless everyone in my usual group did, and that would be highly unlikely.

I think people are simply looking for the next solid MMO, which has not been any for many years with all of the failed MMOs on the market today. SW:ToR appears to quickly be falling in line with the rest of the "here today and gone tomorrow" titles unfortunantly. With server transfers and merges already needed in swtor, its will certainly motivate people to try the next big title, whether it ends up being good or not. I'm not sure swtor has at this point established itself as an MMO with solid potential and certainly not enough to be asking for paid transfers.

You should really reassess your definition of "failed".

Many MMOs that "failed" are still raking in profits. Especially the ones that have gone FTP.

Lotro, Aoc, Rift, Daoc, DNDO, ect. Those are all alive and well. Some of them are pumping out fantastic content that makes swtor and blizzard look lazy.

And if you think swtor is going to "fail" then... Well, good luck with the next "big thing".

You should really reassess your definition of "failed".

Many MMOs that "failed" are still raking in profits. Especially the ones that have gone FTP.

Lotro, Aoc, Rift, Daoc, DNDO, ect. Those are all alive and well. Some of them are pumping out fantastic content that makes swtor and blizzard look lazy.

And if you think swtor is going to "fail" then... Well, good luck with the next "big thing".

Failed = free to play after starting pay to play with overall low pop, which covers many of those. Also failed = consistently losing your player base. AoC is a prime example. After many years of significant changes, AoC finally has a lot of things right but they lost so much of their population that will never come back, they are free to play just to stay alive (AoC was never meant for that upon release). If you remember, AoC was a huge release and "the next big thing" when it came out. Now it is free to play with low level pop because of pure and simple mis-management (sound familiar *cough* Tor). Success is not a measure of a company sucking a positive profit margin any way they can, which is pretty much where all of those game are currently. DaoC excluded of course...amazing game just dated and typical pop loss over time.

Edited by -Eternal-

The free transfers being promised during the summer will likely be to low populated servers that noone wants to move on to begin with. Therefore, the only legitimate option will be to pay for a transfer to one of the few servers left with solid populations. Bioware indicates that this will actually follow the option of free transfers meaning possibly months later.

By then titles like Guild Wars 2, Secret World, and World of Warcraft's new expansion will be out. Does Bioware actually think people will be buying transfers when they can be buying one of these new titles instead? I can't imagine buying a transfer over any one of these new titles. What do other SW:TOR gamers think about this?

Pay for a new MMO title or transfer? (Vote away!)

Pay for a fix that BW should take care of in the first place for the customer months ago, no thank you. After testing GW2 beta it is impossible to even fathom pvpn in this game let alone pay for a sub. SWTOR is not worth a sub anyhow, EA/BW made a profit already, swtor on the back burner of any real future funding, and heading to f2p anyhow.

Edited by Wetworks

Why do people even talk about paying for a transfer as an option? Are people that desperate for Bioware to take action or is there actually some kind of rumor? There's no way we should have to pay for it.

Why do people even talk about paying for a transfer as an option? Are people that desperate for Bioware to take action or is there actually some kind of rumor? There's no way we should have to pay for it.

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

-

In other words If you want to decide when and to what server you transfer to you will have to open the wallet.

"Some" targeted free transfers from/to "specific" servers.

Logically one would expect allready "decently active" servers won't be looked upon as being high in priority of being a free transfer target.

Besides moving to a server of your choice won't be available at start anyway... It will follow the specific transfer thingy. So yeah it will be comming soon.

Edited by Xrayll

Pay for a fix that BW should take care of in the first place for the customer months ago, no thank you. After testing GW2 beta it is impossible to even fathom pvpn in this game let alone pay for a sub. SWTOR is not worth a sub anyhow, EA/BW made a profit already, swtor on the back burner of any real future funding, and heading to f2p anyhow.

Of course you do realise that you are replying to a post the is completely free of factual content?

Why would I pay for a transfer from a Low populated server to another Low populated server? Because right now there are 4 or 5 in EU with Standard population.

Transfers should be a feature for customers, not a service you have to pay 25 bucks for. Because no one will use it.

Edited by cyberfreaq

When you're asking someone to vote and you give two choices, usually you bring arguments for both choices. It gives more objectivity imo.

I don't mind at all paying for a transfer. I did it in previous mmos and it was my personal decision. Everytime, no one forced me to do it. So, I'm totally fine with that but if someone else doesn't want to pay at all for transfers, I understand that too and I respect it.

im not paying for a transfer. choosing where to go will cause this problem to happen again. merging servers without a choice is the best way to do it. that way populations can stabilze

You realize that once transfers start they will close the servers right?

I paid for xfers in WoW all the time so paying for them here wouldn't faze me in the least. As far as another game, I'll buy it if it looks interesting and won't buy it if it doesn't. Whether or not Bioware asks me to pay for transfers has no bearing on my interests outside of TOR.

GW2

Launches with Server Transfer of entire character roster available once per week (for modest price).

Launches with a 'Guesting' feature that allows characters to play with friends on another server.

Launches with PvP that is Server vs. Server vs. Server

Launches with options for waiting in a Queue, or playing on an Overflow Server until room is available on the home server.

Why should I even bother with SWTOR when this will be available at launch on a far more developed MMO?

Yeah. This just means Arena Net have smarter people working for them then bioware have.