The new kind of twinks

lpsmash

wait wait wait, forget all that. Your Fleet has 249 people?! My entire server doesn't even see a fraction of that number on. :mad: Je suis très jaloux.

Oh, I'm not playing on an EU server (I play on The Fatman US). I just wanted to see how the game was in French (a bit too european for my tastes, but I digress). Wanted to start another legacy on a french server, but they are all "light" from what I see now, so I'm hesitant.

ZOMG that's hot.

When I get home, I'm levelling up a Marauder to 10 and seeing if I can slot some recruit gear on it.

Ravage -> Dead. :p

Edited by lpsmash

In MMO's, a "twink" is a lower level alt of a high level character. You give him gear etc. In the gay community a "twink" is a young man. I think the connection formed cos older guys give gay twinks money and gifts irl and you give your ingame twink loot.

What is going on in the screenshot? That character was wearing recruit gear?! Please tell us how she got so many HPs....

Not quite....

The person above described a twink correctly; it does not have to be an alt.

Back in the game that shall not be named, a twink was someone in PvP at the last level of their bracket, i.e. 19, 29, 39, 49

What would happen was those players would spend a lot of money on gear that would make them "imba" for that bracket compared to other players. They would be happy to sit at that level and to never level up.

Then Blizzard had a great idea and made PvP grant XP... bye bye twinks.

Not quite....

The person above described a twink correctly; it does not have to be an alt.

Back in the game that shall not be named, a twink was someone in PvP at the last level of their bracket, i.e. 19, 29, 39, 49

What would happen was those players would spend a lot of money on gear that would make them "imba" for that bracket compared to other players. They would be happy to sit at that level and to never level up.

Then Blizzard had a great idea and made PvP grant XP... bye bye twinks.

The usage of Twink is much older than that. At least from early Everquest days, if not earlier.

The usage of Twink is much older than that. At least from early Everquest days, if not earlier.

I know in EQ, a twink was a low-level character with high-level gear. Since EQ didn't have a minimum level for most gear (at least at the time. That may have changed since I stopped playing in 2003), people would use high-level characters to get gear for low-level alts or friends. Thus, the fungi tunic, centi longsword and a number of other items were heavily camped for twink use. People would have characters in the single-digits with gear meant for level 60 characters. It was especially popular on PvP servers, where higher-level character would get slaughtered when they tried to kill low-level characters.

The introduction of minimum levels on armor in games like EQ2 and WoW got rid of that form of twinking. WoW users co-opted the term for their battleground "twinks," as mentioned above.

I've not heard of an earlier use of the term, at least as far as video games go. It might have originated in UO or even MUDs, but I wasn't really into them the way I was Everquest.

Edited by JacenHallis

All this screenshot proves to me is that I should be playing on a European server instead of North America.

249 on fleet, and people know how to play, apparently.

Language barrier aside, if transfers open up cross Atlantic, I'm going.

All this screenshot proves to me is that I should be playing on a European server instead of North America.

Currently there's only One heavy server in the EU, which is a PVP one. Then a few Standard servers and about 70 Light last I counted during prime time.

I know in EQ, a twink was a low-level character with high-level gear. Since EQ didn't have a minimum level for most gear (at least at the time. That may have changed since I stopped playing in 2003), people would use high-level characters to get gear for low-level alts or friends. Thus, the fungi tunic, centi longsword and a number of other items were heavily camped for twink use. People would have characters in the single-digits with gear meant for level 60 characters. It was especially popular on PvP servers, where higher-level character would get slaughtered when they tried to kill low-level characters.

The introduction of minimum levels on armor in games like EQ2 and WoW got rid of that form of twinking. WoW users co-opted the term for their battleground "twinks," as mentioned above.

I've not heard of an earlier use of the term, at least as far as video games go. It might have originated in UO or even MUDs, but I wasn't really into them the way I was Everquest.

Swiftblade of Zek FTW.

Currently there's only One heavy server in the EU, which is a PVP one. Then a few Standard servers and about 70 Light last I counted during prime time.

Alright, I retract my previous statement. Sounds just like NA then. One heavy server, several standard, and a bunch of dead ones.

See post #4

"Oh, I'm not playing on an EU server (I play on The Fatman US). I just wanted to see how the game was in French (a bit too european for my tastes, but I digress)"....

See post #4

"Oh, I'm not playing on an EU server (I play on The Fatman US). I just wanted to see how the game was in French (a bit too european for my tastes, but I digress)"....

Oh! Awesome, my friends were talking about transferring there, but we're considering The Swiftsure now if it opens up. We don't want to flood an already fairly large NA server. Good that you guys have that much population though, that's gotta be awesome! Anchorhead had that high of a population on constant in fleet (Rep side) for about the first two months.

Edited by Darkrite

A word gains its meaning from the sense we give it. You can't always go to a dictionnary and expect it to have all the answers : there are expressions, idioms, slang, and what else. I was obviously not refering to young homosexual males, but to the concept of a low-level character with gear he normally wouldn't have access to.

Obviously, it is a visual bug (as mentionned earlier), since not even with bolstered level 49 stats does "Cybele" reach 14k hp.