You think EA is sleezy?

Sarfux

Seriously, that's good that you stick by your beliefs, but I personally have no problem paying cash for vanity items that give no benefit in game. I bought nearly all of the vanity pets on Blizzard's cash shop and loved them. I would gladly buy some for this game if they were available.

I don't see it as being greedy, I see it as them offering us content at a quicker pace in exchange for paying extra for it. Since they aren't in any way required to play the game and give absolutely no advantage, that's perfectly acceptable to me, and I encourage it. If I don't like what they're offering, I simply don't buy it.

I would agree with you IF the vanity item could also be attained in game. Having it be cash shop only is a bit much.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

We've noticed that the discussion in this thread is starting to veer off-topic. Please remember to keep the focus of the discussion on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™! (Discussing other games within this context is fine--discussing other games without tying it back to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is not.)

Thanks!

/sigh

If swtor survives and becomes successful ...

Eh?

Seems like it is surviving to me. I mean we're what? 5 months from release now and the lights are still on.

At just what point is a MMO "successful"? 6 months? 1 yr? 25 years?

Crypitc did the same thing with Star Trek Online before it went F2P.

Just remember OP, one common theme when it comes to MMO is you have a minority of people who like the game but hate the company that makes it with a passion. Any psychology majors in here that want to try and example that one? lol

I have no issue with vanity stuff that can be bought with real money, but I prefer that the game also has an option to get those things just by playing the game. convenience stuff like XP boosts are also no issue for me (except the game is barely playable without such things). But in the end I prefer it when the game goes f2p before it starts to have an extended cash shop (I don't like to have to pay twice, for a sub and then again for some MT), and I hate it when a f2p game goes pay to win (luckily it seems that in recent years that not as often the case anymore).

So, I wouldn't mind should SWTOR drop one day the mandatory sub and replace it with a cash shop for vanity and convinience stuff. Because than all those players who don't thing SWTOR isn't worth a sub might play again and we get to see more people on all the currently empty worlds.

Maybe I'm just more old school but I miss the days where playing/beating the game unlocked the vanity items for that game, money was never a part of the equation. If I saw somebody else with something I thought was cool, I could obtain it myself with a bit of effort put into it. This made the reward both special that it looked cool along with the trophy aspect that you know you did something to earn it. Now it sounds like people want a method where you place money down and get stuff immediately (no gaming required). I just don't see the fun in that and if I'm playing a game where someone has something cool and I get a message saying "give $x.xx to receive" then I die a little on the inside.

That's certainly a valid viewpoint. To me it's kind of like when they give out vanity pets for attending events like PAX. You have to pay money outside of the game to get them, but I don't feel ripped off that I wasn't able to obtain it in game.

Because a cash shop gets it into the game sooner. We're able to directly fund the development of those items. Not to mention they'd be vanity items, so it wouldn't give you any benefit whatsoever in game. If someone chooses not to partake in it, great, that'd be their choice.

Dont you mean fund the development of SIM city and Medal of Honor?

Yes. That's kind of sleezy to. BUT at least they don't have pay to win stuff like AION got after a couple months.

So where did you get the assumption that Tera is going to have P2W stuff? Why not wow?

Edited by Sraom