Elder Scrolls should in theoy be a good thing for SWTOR

WLpride

It's probably unlikely that any more games that may be released will drag that many more subs away from SWTOR is already lost/losing, but because that ES shares the Hero engine there may be opportunity to make engine overhauls.

Multiple game support for big games is in theory good for something like a Engine to help in evolving and developing along with other, newer technologies.

All in all, I'm glad that someone else will use the Hero engine, but I don't think ES will provide any direct competition in that sense of a subscription 'tug-of-war', because all that's left already is the true-to-heart SW fanboys.

cheers

Edited by WLpride

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why Bethesda things using the Hero engine is a good idea. They should use modded version of their own engine, which is much better. Also it's not going to be a FPS style game like the previous ES games, so fail :/ Edited by NasherUK

First, the devs of the hero engine have said that they gave the engine over, incomplete to BW, and BW said that was good, because they wanted to do their own tweaks to it. Since the Elder Scrolls game has been in development just as long, that leaves me to believe they did the same thing. According to the Hero Engine website, when BW took it, they don't want any support from the hero engine developers. So that tells me that nothing the ES guys learn will be shared with BW. Now, I am curious to find out if it will be just as broken as this version of the Hero engine. Find out if it is the engine, or the game developers.....

As for competition, they are 2 different types of games. ES is a fantasy game, SW is sci-fi. I still don't see how ESO will be fun without it being a sand box game, but I will try it when it enters beta and find out for myself. If it is just another WOW clone like they claim, I have had enough of fantasy online games, and will stay with this WoW clone, since it is Star Wars.

I think the ES MMO will only prove why the hero engine should never be used.

I think the ES MMO will only prove that turning Elder Scrolls, which is famous for its stunning graphics, mods, depth of freedom, and the epic overall 1P experience it provides... should never be turned into an MMO.

Prepare to watch everything "Elder Scrolls" about it be dumbed down and flushed through the appropriate channels.

Edited by Blistrich

I don't know why Bethesda things using the Hero engine is a good idea. They should use modded version of their own engine, which is much better. Also it's not going to be a FPS style game like the previous ES games, so fail :/

It isnt bethesda actualy . I believe another company hold the development rights to the ES online. But i am anxious for the fall out mmo that bethesda retained all production right to. Theres an article in one of the game informers on the whole ordeal. Ill look over my stacks and get the issue number its in if i get time.

Edited by Nyteblades

It'll surely redirect some of the heat that /v/irgins persistently slam upon SWTOR and the people who give it a try. The anons of /v/ are abundant and incredibly stupid. The two main ingredients in the recipe of influence.

People have wanted a multiplayer Elder Scrolls experience for a very long time, whether in the form of an MMO or cooperative game. But when it comes to the front of their minds that they can't sweep silverware off tables for early game septims, send friendly NPCs flailing off cliffs, or commit very immoral acts with ragdolled corpses, the people of 4chan will develop an unshakable, irrational hate that will fill the larger part of that empty space in their heads.

But what the majority of people forget about first is a different story. The unending barrage of over-exaggerated complaints against SWTOR. Or SWTOR itself. Will it still have plenty of interest by the time people have gotten bored of going about actively turning people away.

Edited by Cooperal

People have wanted a multiplayer Elder Scrolls experience for a very long time, whether in the form of an MMO or cooperative game. But when it comes to the front of their minds that they can't sweep silverware off tables for early game septims, send friendly NPCs flailing off cliffs, or commit very immoral acts with ragdolled corpses, the people of 4chan will develop an unshakable, irrational hate that will fill the larger part of that empty space in their heads.

People have fantasized about a multiplayer Elder Scrolls experience for a very long time, whether in the form of an MMO or cooperative game. But when it comes to the front of their minds that they can't enjoy extensive player-made modifications, interact with the environment in a definitive or meaningful way, and will be restricted to advancing their characters in a hackneyed, outplayed, linear MMO grind, the people who enjoyed the 1P games will develop an unshakable, rational feeling of disappointment that will ultimately lead to more jaded cynicism with regard to what MMOs have become.

As you can see, I took a moment to correct what I believe to be some glaring errors in your original post, sir.

I hope you don't take these changes (clearly highlighted for you in red text) personally.

I think the ES MMO will only prove why the hero engine should never be used.

Or it will show us how the engine is supposed to work... and that it was just BioWare's fault not to keep in touch with the guys who made it (because they bought the engine before it was optimized).

Or it will show us how the engine is supposed to work... and that it was just BioWare's fault not to keep in touch with the guys who made it (because they bought the engine before it was optimized).

The truth is, even if they had kept up in maintenance and didn't just basically say "we'll do it ourselves, our own way", it is still inferior to the Unreal Engine, mechanically.

Hello!

We would like to remind everyone that threads made in General Discussion center on discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Please keep this in mind as you discuss how you believe the announced Elder Scrolls MMO will be a good thing for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Thanks!

The truth is, even if they had kept up in maintenance and didn't just basically say "we'll do it ourselves, our own way", it is still inferior to the Unreal Engine, mechanically.

While this may be true, it cannot be changed at this point. It will be good to see what another company can do with the same basic tools. If one company can figure out how to get 50+ people on the screen without any major lag then that will put the pressure on the other company to do the same.

I agree regarding the Hero engine, if anything - it will by proxy make the use of it seem more validated by the MMO community.

Is anyone else excited to have a great Star Wars MMO and a yet-to-be-seen Elder Scrolls MMO existing at the same time? I'll subscribe to both - my 2 favourite gaming IPs having persistant worlds at the same time.. butterscotch.. I'll have to alternate days.. lol.

GW2 might get a weekend spot here and there, no stress on that - due to B2P.

Although ppl say that SWTOR took an early cut of the HERO engine, are there any examples of other recent MMOs that use the latest version of it, and are their users ************* about the engine? If so the ESO is doomed.

Bethesda are so proud of their new MMO that they didn't even show us anything about what the MMO is basically about...Sure it's of course going to be set in the Elder Scrolls world, but you could make a fully customisable character in the existing Elder Scrolls game. So why would you need to pay for the MMO?

Sure it's of course going to be set in the Elder Scrolls world, but you could make a fully customisable character in the existing Elder Scrolls game. So why would you need to pay for the MMO?

Wut???

These sentences are just weird.

Edited by ISDEnterprise

Bethesda are so proud of their new MMO that they didn't even show us anything about what the MMO is basically about...Sure it's of course going to be set in the Elder Scrolls world, but you could make a fully customisable character in the existing Elder Scrolls game. So why would you need to pay for the MMO?

It's set a few thousand years before the original TES, so we'll see more signs of the Dwenmer race and their mysterious end, Dragons roaming the landscape, A more powerful Mages Guild with legal necromancy and alot of other stuff.

But I still don't like that it uses the Hero Engine. I like the one they used for Skyrim.

I'm sick of MMOs with this classic MMO combat system (that includes SWTOR).

If ES Online plays like current MMOs I'll skip it. It's a shame too. Nobody is willing to break the MMO mold.

I like the fighting in swtor, the warzone PvP is 'good enough', but it's what happens once the action is over IMHO.. You go to the Cantina or the Fleet, regroup or head out on warzones/operations..

lack of open PvP ...

Edited by WLpride

Elder Scroll's combat isnt traditional, theres stamina, theres block as far I know, its not action, but its kind of mix between traditional and action, also theres some co-op ideas, like wizard can put a fireball in the air and warrior kick it toward enemy, it sounds like when you're in group, it uses "shared" combo points. Edited by BlueFromMoon

Yes, but still, we know the Hero engine is supposed to be 'easy' to develop worlds and populate and also for things like multi-party quests and instancing. However, so far, it proves to be weak at using many players in a area at once. This is what Bethseda will also have to deal with, and with new technology, perhaps DX upgrades etc,, if Bethseda want's a experience with more that 'single player' experience they will need to consider the range that something more along the lines that what a truer MMO could offer in terms of immersion and gameplay.