Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Dear Bioware - I don't want your stinking Recruit Gear.

Mirthadrond

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an artificial grind, simple as that. As much as anyone hates it, it makes people play longer than they would otherwise = BioWare wins.

So the fact that most players who have left the game is PvP players kinda make your argument invalid.

i agree in that the warzone com cap should be increased. 2000 is kind of a joke. i'm at the point where i'm just buying expertise stims. i have a massive stockpile.

or, remove the restriction on battlemaster purchases. let me purchase them whenever i have enough coms, be it level 15 or 48. i can't wear it, so it doesn't hurt anyone, amirite?

this would be implemented if the game wasn't reduced to the carrot of gear grinds. that's literally all this game has now: grinding. by increasing the warzone com cap, you step on the only reason the play the game. hilarious.

The only change I would make is to also offer the recruit gear for WZ commendations. That will allow PvPers to stock up on the set without a large credit burden immediately after hitting 50. Other than that, recruit gear is sufficient because you'll be replacing it rather quickly with BM gear. If you save 2000 WZ commendations, play 6 games a day to finish the daily, it will take you about 1-2 week to get full BM gear.

It's a common game design choice to not allow people to farm lower level content to obtain higher level rewards. Also, the goal is to add incentive but to not overdo it. The cap accomplishes this purpose. PvPers gain an advantage by getting WZ commendations early, but not to the point where people who leveled using a mix of all the aspects (class quests, WZs, FPs) of the game feel too behind.

Lastly, you can buy rated WZ commendations after hitting level 40. That effectively raises your WZ cap by 3500x3 =10500 WZ commendations which you would have needed to grind out at 50 if you were in it for the long haul.

It's an artificial grind, simple as that. As much as anyone hates it, it makes people play longer than they would otherwise = BioWare wins.

Um, you're pretty much just stating the MMO model. Nothing to see here, move along please.

The only change I would make is to also offer the recruit gear for WZ commendations. That will allow PvPers to stock up on the set without a large credit burden immediately after hitting 50.

Lastly, you can buy rated WZ commendations after hitting level 40. That effectively raises your WZ cap by 3500x3 =10500 WZ commendations which you would have needed to grind out at 50 if you were in it for the long haul.

firstly, you can farm recruit gear on tatooine (pvp zone: outlaws den, box drop) AND get free WZ coms and creds at the same time.

my alt has a full recruit set and ISNT EVEN LEVEL 50 YET!

secondly, rated coms dont trade back to wz coms at the same rate you got them for. its 3:1 wz:rwz, but only 1:1 rwz:wz. so capping both rated and regular gives you 5500 wz coms if you've capped both by the time you ding.

Um, you're pretty much just stating the MMO model. Nothing to see here, move along please.

There are MMOs out there that don't feature grind. And the grind for BM gear is purely artificial, there is absolutely no reason for it to be there, other than for the sake of the grind itself.

I haven't seen anyone who's posted an actual valid argument why the CAP for War Zone comms cannot be increased.

I'm not asking Bioware to give me a BM set. I fully intend to pay for it with the 12k WZ comms I will earn between lvl 45 - and 50.

That doesn't include the 1000's I've already earned and spent. Hell.. now that I think about it. I've actually replaced all 5 of my +21 expertise enhancements with +25, so I've already blown enough to buy 1 BM set. (counting med packs and expertise adrenals, two armor sets and a weapon.)

So.. yeah.. I'm gonna go with: I've paid my dues, and should be able to buy BM on my way to 50, or remove the arbitrary cap of 2000, so I can save enough to buy the full set when I hit 50.

I'd like to point out a simple observation: I ran into a lvl 50 sniper in all recruit gear, yesterday. I checked his stats. At lvl 45 I have MORE HIT POINTS THAN HE DID.

Do you really think i want to walk into lvl 50 PVP - having earned at least 2x what it takes to buy the entire BM set, with LESS HIT POINTS than I have now, at lvl 45??? No way. Not gonna happen.

I would be in favor of a Legacy unlock that increases your maximum commendation amount. That way first time players will still be limited forcing them to learn their class as they gear up while people rolling alts will be able to stockpile commendations and gear up at 50.

Interesting compromise at least, but I'd rather they just raise the arbitrary cap, period.

firstly, you can farm recruit gear on tatooine (pvp zone: outlaws den, box drop) AND get free WZ coms and creds at the same time.

my alt has a full recruit set and ISNT EVEN LEVEL 50 YET!

secondly, rated coms dont trade back to wz coms at the same rate you got them for. its 3:1 wz:rwz, but only 1:1 rwz:wz. so capping both rated and regular gives you 5500 wz coms if you've capped both by the time you ding.

Yes, I know about Outlaw's Den but my point still stands, recruit gear should be buyable with WZ commendations. Depending on the server, farming chests in Outlaw's Den might not be possible. The recruit pieces are random so the chance it will apply to your spec is low.

I understand rated WZ coms trade back at 1:1, and that would be stupid to do so. The point is that, for those people in for the long haul of grinding out WH gear, it is 10500 less WZ commendations they need to farm at 50.

Yes, I know about Outlaw's Den but my point still stands, recruit gear should be buyable with WZ commendations. Depending on the server, farming chests in Outlaw's Den might not be possible. The recruit pieces are random so the chance it will apply to your spec is low.

I understand rated WZ coms trade back at 1:1, and that would be stupid to do so. The point is that, for those people in for the long haul of grinding out WH gear, it is 10500 less WZ commendations they need to farm at 50.

I'm not buying any Ranked Comms.

I already fell for that trick once. Not gonna happen again.

They called them "mercenary comms", back in the day.

Edited by Mirthadrond

I haven't seen anyone who's posted an actual valid argument why the CAP for War Zone comms cannot be increased.

I'm not asking Bioware to give me a BM set. I fully intend to pay for it with the 12k WZ comms I will earn between lvl 45 - and 50.

That doesn't include the 1000's I've already earned and spent. Hell.. now that I think about it. I've actually replaced all 5 of my +21 expertise enhancements with +25, so I've already blown enough to buy 1 BM set. (counting med packs and expertise adrenals, two armor sets and a weapon.)

So.. yeah.. I'm gonna go with: I've paid my dues, and should be able to buy BM on my way to 50, or remove the arbitrary cap of 2000, so I can save enough to buy the full set when I hit 50.

I'd like to point out a simple observation: I ran into a lvl 50 sniper in all recruit gear, yesterday. I checked his stats. At lvl 45 I have MORE HIT POINTS THAN HE DID.

Do you really think i want to walk into lvl 50 PVP - having earned at least 2x what it takes to buy the entire BM set, with LESS HIT POINTS than I have now, at lvl 45??? No way. Not gonna happen.

The way expertise works, you kind of have to if you want to be effective at all in PVP. Recruit actually beats out top PVE gear in PVP.

Let me be clear, THANK YOU for changing the gearing up process. Being able to buy Recruit gear is a nice option.. FOR PVE'rs.

However - as a PVP player, I'm sorry, but it is insufficient for my needs. When my 'next' toon hit's 50, I would like the option to buy MORE than 2 pieces of Battlemaster gear.

At current BM prices, and the 'questionable' cap on War Zone commendations (2000 - a seemingly arbitrary number to be honest..) makes this is all but impossible.

PLEASE... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY - Increase our War Zone commendations cap to AT THE VERY LEAST 5000 comms. I'd prefer NO cap at all.... but I know you wont do that for "insert stupid reason here".

I have a GREAT time pvping from lvl 10 - 49. Granted I can save 2000 comms, buy 2 pieces of BM gear, but I STILL FEEL LIKE I HIT LIKE A WET NOODLE.

Then... as a PVP player, I have to grind out the next 2 weeks replacing all my recruit gear, so I DONT hit like a wet noodle and DONT get utterly destroyed in 4 GCD's.

WHY?? When during my slog to 50, I could have purchased an entire set of BM gear, and STILL have comms left over?? I'll be at 50 valor the moment I ding 50.

STOP punishing me, and every other dedicated PVP player out there by forcing us to buy recruit gear to continue playing PVP after we hit lvl 50.

PLEASE allow us to save MORE than 2000 war zone commendations.

Thank you.

OP is right. 2 Days to grind BM gear is too long! I want it now! now! now!

You call yourself a dedicated PvPer.... What you are complaining about taking 2 days to get, took people 2 months, yet you feel so much injustice by this you write this post... Talk about entitlement. If you are such a dedicated PvPer you will spend any comms on ranked comms for your WH gear if you are capped. No big deal....to most.

There are MMOs out there that don't feature grind. And the grind for BM gear is purely artificial, there is absolutely no reason for it to be there, other than for the sake of the grind itself.

Yeah dude, I only do organic grinds, watch out for those "all natural" grinds, doesn't mean anything, make sure it says "certified organic."

You have to grind it at 50 and not before because it would be the best entry level 50 gear for pretty much everything and as the guy said on page 1 it would penalize anyone who didn't PvP on the way up to 50, even PvErs doing flashpoints.

There now you have a reason; I'd still like to know w t f an artificial grind is vs any other grind.

Edited by MinguesDew

The way expertise works, you kind of have to if you want to be effective at all in PVP. Recruit actually beats out top PVE gear in PVP.

Thank you, I understand expertise. I have 5 pieces of gear with +25 expertise, at lvl 45, and I STILL have more hitpoints than a lvl 50 sniper with full recruit gear.

OP is right. 2 Days to grind BM gear is too long! I want it now! now! now!

You call yourself a dedicated PvPer.... What you are complaining about taking 2 days to get, took people 2 months, yet you feel so much injustice by this you write this post... Talk about entitlement. If you are such a dedicated PvPer you will spend any comms on ranked comms for your WH gear if you are capped. No big deal....to most.

Cry more. I've already earned enough WZ's to buy 2 sets of BM gear, and I'm lvl 45.

Yeah dude, I only do organic grinds, watch out for those "all natural" grinds, doesn't mean anything, make sure it says "certified organic."

You have to grind it at 50 and not before because it would be the best entry level 50 gear for pretty much everything and as the guy said on page 1 it would penalize anyone who didn't PvP on the way up to 50, even PvErs doing flashpoints.

There now you have a reason; I'd still like to know w t f an artificial grind is vs any other grind.

LOL.. good post. "certified organic"

I'm not buying any Ranked Comms.

I already feel for that trick once. Not gonna happen again.

They called them "mercenary comms", back in the day.

- I had 1000 merc/1000 wz commendations stored up pre-1.2 so I could buy 5 champ bags.

- 1.2 was released and I ended up with 1000 merc/2000 wz commendations.

- I bought 2 BM weapons instead of 5 champ bags.

- 2 BM weapons >>>>>>> 5 champ bags

What's the problem exactly? 5 champ bags didn't even give enough commendations to buy one champ armor set piece, and the chance for getting an unassembled pieces was 2% per bag. Merc commendations were easily worth more post 1.2 than they were pre-1.2.

And again, since you seemed to ignore "actual valid arguments", most games do not let you farm lower level content for higher level rewards. Same reason why questing in Tython doesn't give us commendations that will exchange for Rakata gear.

I say a good idea would be to let players buy the BM gear as they level, but prevent them from using it until level 50, problem solved.

No problem to begin with. This game has the easiest way to get gear. They are practically giving it away. If people are crying more because they can't get Battlemaster gear in a 3 days then they are really playing the wrong game because last time I checked this is a MMO.

It's fine the way it is.

If you could buy all your BM gear before 50 then people would be punished if they do anything besides PvP while leveling.

Get to 50 and get your level 50 gear by playing against level 50 players.

We don't expect to have the best rading gear waiting for us when we hit 50 either.

This. Seems like every few months people want stuff handed to them, YOU want the gear to compete then YOU earn it by competing against 50s. Simples.

No problem to begin with. This game has the easiest way to get gear. They are practically giving it away. If people are crying more because they can't get Battlemaster gear in a 3 days then they are really playing the wrong game because last time I checked this is a MMO.

GW2 is an MMO and they just give you the gear, because they want PVP to be based on skill not gear advantage. Additionally they separate PUGs from Premades, yet they don't seem to have the population problems this game has, and that game is in friggin beta. Yet GW2 beta is more polished than SWTOR.

The solution isn't to pretend other games don't exist and SWTOR is perfect. Rather people need to acknowledge something is broken with swtor and then to start trying to fix it. If you never admit mistakes there is no way to learn from them. The greatest people in the world have all failed miserably in their lives and then grown from it to achieve what they went on to achieve. We're not even asking for true greatness here, just to surpass mediocrity.

GW2 is an MMO and they just give you the gear, because they want PVP to be based on skill not gear advantage. Additionally they separate PUGs from Premades, yet they don't seem to have the population problems this game has, and that game is in friggin beta. Yet GW2 beta is more polished than SWTOR.

The solution isn't to pretend other games don't exist and SWTOR is perfect. Rather people need to acknowledge something is broken with swtor and then to start trying to fix it. If you never admit mistakes there is no way to learn from them. The greatest people in the world have all failed miserably in their lives and then grown from it to achieve what they went on to achieve. We're not even asking for true greatness here, just to surpass mediocrity.

There is no mistake concering this thread. The OP wants level 50 epic gear (which is already served on a platter when you hit 50) for fighting level 13's with only 25% of their skills. Its ridiculous.

You talk about skill over gear, where is the skill in that?

Edited by NyteSabre

FYI once you hit level 40 you can buy RANKED Commendations at the 3/1 ratio, these cap at over 3500 AND can be exchanged BACK into regular comms. Simple process really. Hit level 40, cap at 2000 WZ comms, then exchange those for ranked ones. Continue doing this until you hit 50 and you should easily be able to buy all your Battlemaster.

Still, buying Recruit gear is part of the process. You can get it for free in Outlaw's Den if your to lazy/cheap to buy it. I have no pity for anyone whining about this. I lived through the insanity of launch TOR's gear system and let me tell you I would GLADLY have paid double what Recruit costs now to get it back then.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.