Biochem vs cybertech

RogeAce

If you're a PvPer...Biochem all the way. You can make your own stims/adrenals/reusable medpacks. If you start doing 8-man operations @ 50, you can rake in some serious cash with the Exotech stim recipe drops.

Cybertech is nice, too. You can craft your own upgrades, but unless you're really on top of things, you won't be able to make them until after you need them.

Reusable Stims are going to be a bigger upgrade then any piece of modding or gear you could ever craft.

Reusable Medpacks are psychologically freeing, you'll never have that mental block of "I better save it for when I REALLY need it!"

Reusable Adrenals are basically a third trinket clicky effect you'll have access too.

I've also made a small (large) fortune selling implants on the GTN. There are never enough implants around.

I've had max cybertech on my trooper since December and have almost all of the possible schematics i could use in it. But have recently dumped it for biochem because it is to much of a disadvantage not having it in pvp unfortunately. The only thing useful in endgame for cybertech is the grenades and that is marginal as a trooper. Besides that, purple ship upgrades are nice if you like space combat but I haven't done one of those since i hit 50.

Eh, here's the thing about Biochem consumables. You can buy an Exceptional Medpac that heals for 825 less than the Rakata Medpac from an NPC. 825 is roughly 1/3 of an Adrenaline Rush. You can buy a stim that gives 8 Primary (e.g. Aim on a Reflex stim) and 3 Secondary (e.g. Power on a Reflex Stim) less than the Rakata version, for 4.5k.

Depending on your server's GTN, you can also buy blue versions of the medpac (which actually heal for more than the Rakata) and blue stims (which last for two hours and persist through death) for a relatively good price. The only Biochem consumable that actually makes much of a difference is the Adrenal, because you can't really get those anywhere else.

And finally, they revealed in the Guild Summit that they're no longer going to add any reuseable consumables to the game. So when they introduce a new tier of medpacs/stims/adrenals to the game, there won't be a reuseable version available. When that happens, you'll be forced to spend lots of time and money crafting the consumables you've grown to rely on. Also, since a huge majority of people are Biochem, you'll have a ton of competition and will barely be able to scrape any profit selling them. Using companion missions to gather will probably cost more than you can make, so you'll have to spend time running around hunting nodes.

I went Armormech. I'm having a great levelling experience (lvl 45 now!) because Elara, Aric, and I are all wearing either purple or augmented blue armor. I'm really enjoying having great gear, and I'm wearing an awesome-looking augmented chestpiece that I crafted myself. I make easily 200k+ every week selling crafted gear on the GTN. This means that I always have medpacs to use, and I have stims for Flashpoints. I have a lot of fun finding niches on the market where no one else is selling and filling them. I'm even able to buy crafted gear from others and still have a positive net income.

Biochem isn't necessarily the best.

Eh, here's the thing about Biochem consumables. You can buy an Exceptional Medpac that heals for 825 less than the Rakata Medpac from an NPC. 825 is roughly 1/3 of an Adrenaline Rush. You can buy a stim that gives 8 Primary (e.g. Aim on a Reflex stim) and 3 Secondary (e.g. Power on a Reflex Stim) less than the Rakata version, for 4.5k.

Depending on your server's GTN, you can also buy blue versions of the medpac (which actually heal for more than the Rakata) and blue stims (which last for two hours and persist through death) for a relatively good price. The only Biochem consumable that actually makes much of a difference is the Adrenal, because you can't really get those anywhere else.

And finally, they revealed in the Guild Summit that they're no longer going to add any reuseable consumables to the game. So when they introduce a new tier of medpacs/stims/adrenals to the game, there won't be a reuseable version available. When that happens, you'll be forced to spend lots of time and money crafting the consumables you've grown to rely on. Also, since a huge majority of people are Biochem, you'll have a ton of competition and will barely be able to scrape any profit selling them. Using companion missions to gather will probably cost more than you can make, so you'll have to spend time running around hunting nodes.

I went Armormech. I'm having a great levelling experience (lvl 45 now!) because Elara, Aric, and I are all wearing either purple or augmented blue armor. I'm really enjoying having great gear, and I'm wearing an awesome-looking augmented chestpiece that I crafted myself. I make easily 200k+ every week selling crafted gear on the GTN. This means that I always have medpacs to use, and I have stims for Flashpoints. I have a lot of fun finding niches on the market where no one else is selling and filling them. I'm even able to buy crafted gear from others and still have a positive net income.

Lot would also depend on server I'm guessing. I play on a low pop and there is hard as heck to find good stims on the GTN... usually the only ones for sell that are persistent through death are the endurance ones some times. And there are never medpacks so have to usually use the ones you can buy from the med droids. There are peeps in my guild that can make the stuff but it gets old begging for them to make me more every couple days. If you are on a high pop server though and had a full and functional GTN I'd imagine it isn't nearly as important.

Except it is when you are level 50. Augmentable gear pieces are 1-time purchases, and crafters can't make better gear than PvPing or doing ops gets you. Cybertech grenades are dirt cheap to get and an alt doesn't even need more than like 100 cybertech to make the seismic ones.

The reusable medpacks, adrenals,and stims save you tens of thousands of credits; if you want to be at maximum effectiveness you will be using adrenals and medpacks CONSTANTLY. I'm filthy rich and I'm still wary about using adrenals unless absolutely necessary, and using an ultimate medpack to save myself costs more than just letting myself die would.

The reusable medpacks, adrenals,and stims save you tens of thousands of credits; if you want to be at maximum effectiveness you will be using adrenals and medpacks CONSTANTLY. I'm filthy rich and I'm still wary about using adrenals unless absolutely necessary, and using an ultimate medpack to save myself costs more than just letting myself die would.

Right now, yes. However, I'm also looking towards the future. When they introduce a new tier of consumables, there won't be reusable versions. That means that Biochems are going to have to spend piles of credits on their consumables just like the rest of us. By buying my consumables from other people, I'll spend a little more money but have far less hassle. I won't have to worry about keeping my companions crafting constantly.

Additionally, I'd be willing to bet that at least on my server (which is pretty big), I'll be able to get consumables cheaper than a Biochem could get them with gathering missions. I'll bet there are going to be people who will gather mats by running around hunting nodes so they can undercut their competitors, and I'll be able to buy at those prices.

Even right now, the cost of medpacs and stims are easily maintainable. I'm primarily a PvP'er, and a warzone alone will absorb the cost of NPC medpacs even if I use them on cooldown (which I don't), and go a good way towards the blue stims. It's only really the adrenals which go far above my income. However, my Assault burst already melts face incredibly fast, so I don't really need Adrenals.

And finally, I enjoy the challenge of not relying on reusables. My first toon (lvl 50 Balance Shadow) was a Biochem. I had a deeply ingrained reliance on medpacs. I ended up using them almost on cooldown. It saved me pretty frequently, but it also let me get away with being sloppy and overextending. Now that medpacs and adrenals actually have a cost, I have to use a lot more strategy. It's the same reason I enjoy leveling as DPS spec with Aric Jorgan. Sure, it would be easier with Elara or a tank, but having Aric out forces me to fight hard, which makes me grow faster as a player.

Okay, I'm normally happy to answer questions new players post on the forums. However, it seems to me as though you are utterly unable to read anyone else's posts. So I'm no longer going to even try to answer your questions. My answers clearly aren't penetrating.