The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will you pay for a server transfer?

Skyzen

My question is: Will you pay for a server transfer?

(This thread is not about "When will there be a server merge/transfer?")

I'd like to know how people feel about actually paying money for transfers in this game.

I've given this some thought and I remember paying for a server transfer in WoW years ago. This was for one character that I wanted to play with RL friends. I did this after investing years in my character and it was not for population issues.

I can't see myself paying money for a server transfer within months of playing the game. For some reason, in this game it just seems wrong to have to pay for it. There are so many bugs, performance issues, feature deficiencies, etc.

Quite frankly, I'd rather not pay for a transfer and just move on to something else. My personal opinion, obviously, but I thought I would share it. We are not certain how they are going to implement the transfers, but my feeling is that it won't be what people are hoping for.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that currently I am on one of the highest populated servers ( The Harbinger ) no. But if I was on one of the lower Population servers, It would depend on my guild. If they all wanted to leave the server and go somewhere more populated then yes I would leave.

No, I'm on a nicely populated server but even if most people transfer off it, I don't plan on paying. Customers shouldn't have to pay extra in order to benefit from a decently populated server. I can imagine the forums blowing up once free transfers are done with. EA strikes again.

I would definitely NOT pay for a server transfer even though I'm on a server that is relatively light.

Population issues are NOT the fault of the player (aka The Customer) but are due to management decisions that need to be cleaned up on THEIR dollar, and NOT ours.

We pay $15 a month to play this game and they should not even consider trying to pry more money out of our hands especailly when you consider all the issues that the game still has six months into live.

Personally, there are so many more issues that exist in the game that need to be addressed. Lack of immersion, no end game, pointless PvP, and the disjointedness of class storylines when grouping are some of the other problems I and my RL friends have with this game.

Edited by Monave

I have no intention of moving since I like my server.

I can see that they may provide free transfers to the low population servers for a limited time but they may allow server transfers after a certain date to be paid .

Which in all honesty is fair.

They should only provide free transfers for a limited time and only to those on low population servers or allow a set number of days/months before you are allowed to transfer again or this system can get out of hand.

Doesn't matter what kind of server I'm transferring to and from, I will not, I repeat NOT pay for a transfer.

With all the bugs in this game, BioWare can kiss my left cheek if they want me to pay to transfer to a specific server.

Edited by HomicidalWhales

After getting annoyed with PvP queue times last night I rerolled onto the Fatman just to test the waters. There were more people on the STARTER planet (Tython at 90+) then on the Fleet on my server (Shien around 40). After seeing this, yes I would pay to get onto one of the higher pop servers. I logged in early today and saw the same thing. During the middle of the day there were actually WZs going, MULTIPLE ONES! I am lucky to get a WZ during the day on Shien. I love this game, but after seeing this I really can't help but say that Bioware has seriously dropped the ball.

I would definitely NOT pay for a server transfer even though I'm on a server that is relatively light.

Population issues are NOT the fault of the player (aka The Customer) but are due to management decisions that need to be cleaned up on THEIR dollar, and NOT ours.

We pay $15 a month to play this game and they should not even consider trying to pry more money out of our hands especailly when you consider all the issues that the game still has six months into live.

QFT.

I erased the last paragraph since that was your personal opinion, but what you said here is something I definitely agree on.

I might but sad to say even the second highest server - The Harbinger which is behind the Fatman is also losing players. A month ago when I started fleet had over 200 people at most times and most planets had 100+ easily. Now fleet has 50-100 avg sometimes getting close to 200 on weekends with most planets well below 100. It's still healthy but if one of the most populated servers starts to feel a little less than full then imagine how it feels to run on a dead server of which there are well over 120 of them out there.

I'd like to know how people feel about actually paying money for transfers in this game.

I've given this some thought and I remember paying for a server transfer in WoW years ago. This was for one character that I wanted to play with RL friends. I did this after investing years in my character and it was not for population issues.

I can't see myself paying money for a server transfer within months of playing the game. For some reason, in this game it just seems wrong to have to pay for it. There are so many bugs, performance issues, feature deficiencies, etc.

Quite frankly, I'd rather not pay for a transfer and just move on to something else. My personal opinion, obviously, but I thought I would share it. We are not certain how they are going to implement the transfers, but my feeling is that it won't be what people are hoping for.

Luckily, if all you're looking to do is transfer from a low-pop server to a high-pop server, those transfers will be free, so long as you transfer to one of the destination servers BW has set up.

If you're wanting to transfer a character to another target server, then I have no problems with them charging for the service.

The most important reason that it makes sense to offer some as free and others as paid is to try to steer people into those target servers to fix the low-pop server problem. If transfers are free in any direction, the problem won't fix itself because users will be as clueless as to where to go as they are now.

Only if some are free and the rest are paid will these transfers happen in an orderly, targeted fashion.

That said, I already re-rolled my characters over on Fatman back at the beginning of March, but I will be paying to transfer my 38 Sentinel and 18+ Agent and Bounty Hunter over when they're available, because I'm not that far away on Sentinel and I refuse to play through Nar Hutta again. :)

Edited by Kubernetic

No i pay a monthly fee. should be included, why should it cost?
Sadly because it is for your benefit. For free you can re-roll, and certain types of transfer will cost.

i.e. I think they will charge for transfers to the servers that are already very well populated.

NOTE: I am not saying whether this is right or wrong, just what I think they will do.

EDIT: And keeping to the topic.

No, as I play on the heaviest population Euro server, I will not be paying as I have no desire to leave. :D

Edited by Catch_TwentyTwo

No.

I'd also be very disappointed if the characters I created on my first server, (Death Wind Corridor,) became stranded there due to select server to server transfer availability.

Of the near 200 servers that exist, removing 50% of them would create a decent population on the rest.. Even the heavier server I re-rolled on feels barren, (Jedi Covenant.) Too many servers is only part, (a large part, granted,) of the problem. For whatever reason, the game seems tailor crafted towards a sense of vast emptiness. (opinion.)

The worst part? In an interview Bioware placed blame on being FORCED to create new servers squarely on "community outcry," then they admittedly "took it too far." (you think?) Quite the sac membrane you have there, BW. You screwed up in a massive way, and it's our fault? Certainly not made of brass, I'd wager.

The server proliferator really has a good arm with those sabots.

Edited by RKLimes

Hmm how do I put this as polite as I can, fffffffffffffffffffff**** no! And if they think that ***** is gonna fly after everything else they have done then I might as well set my money on fire. Honestly wish I had never bought that damn collector ed now too.

Seeing that Bioware choose the server for my guild to be on during guild pre-registration, NO I will NOT pay. Why should I pay for their own screw-ups? They started to many servers and caused the player population to be spread to thin. So paying to transfer is out of the question. I would rather have been on a high pop server and deal with login queue times then what we have now.

Every single one of my guild members that came over from WoW have already quit or have canceled our renewing this month all due to low population on our server.