The Point of Qui-Gon Jinn

Matth_Stil

I have the prequel trilogy's novelization right beside me. He tried it twice, that's all.

So is it worse than lie to a 20 years old boy to murder his own father, his so called "good friend" and that's exactly what the Emperor wanted Luke to do?

I agree Liam Neeson made this character even cooler, but the character is pretty good.

And after the first time he tried and it didn't work, he should have taken the hint. lol

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And after the first time he tried and it didn't work, he should have taken the hint. lol

Well it won't do him anything bad, he just wanted to free Anakin and his mother.

As for Obi Wan, his foolishness could cause the destruction of Anakin and his son, and let the galaxy lost the last bit of hope.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Well it won't do him anything bad, he just wanted to free Anakin and his mother.

As for Obi Wan, his foolishness could cause the destruction of Anakin and his father, and let the galaxy lost the last bit of hope.

Hey, I never said what Obi-Wan did was right. He did what he thought was necessary. He clouded the truth to keep Luke's mind as clear as possible. He thought at that point in time that he would still have plenty of time to train Luke and properly prepare him.

Hey, I never said what Obi-Wan did was right. He did what he thought was necessary. He clouded the truth to keep Luke's mind as clear as possible. He thought at that point in time that he would still have plenty of time to train Luke and properly prepare him.

He told Luke Vader killed his father, that's not helpful at all.

Even after Luke knew the truth, he still asked Luke to kill his father. Do you really believe a 20 years old boy could murder his own father without falling into the Dark Side? Then it's gonna be Anakin's story all over again.

He told Luke Vader killed his father, that's not helpful at all.

Even after Luke knew the truth, he still asked Luke to kill his father. Do you really believe a 20 years old boy could murder his own father without falling into the Dark Side? Then it's gonna be Anakin's story all over again.

Apologies for not clarifying more.... I DO NOT AGREE WITH WHAT OBI-WAN DID. I'm simply saying he did what he thought he had to do. I didn't say he was right! Geez...

Apologies for not clarifying more.... I DO NOT AGREE WITH WHAT OBI-WAN DID. I'm simply saying he did what he thought he had to do. I didn't say he was right! Geez...

Qui Gon Jinn is the same, he tried to free Anakin by using the mind trick twice, not a big deal.:o

Qui Gon Jinn is the same, he tried to free Anakin by using the mind trick twice, not a big deal.:o

I still can't believe Padme didnt go back to Tatooine and buy Anakin's mother's freedom as a thank you for taking out the droid control ship. She knew the situation he and his mother was in. Perhaps Jin would have taken care of that had he not died.

I still can't believe Padme didnt go back to Tatooine and buy Anakin's mother's freedom as a thank you for taking out the droid control ship. She knew the situation he and his mother was in. Perhaps Jin would have taken care of that had he not died.

Republic has no jurisdiction on Tatooine the hutts control what goes on there, so republic credits wouldn't work. In the immortal words of the tatooine milita in-game.

"You got a problem with the locals, buy a blaster and deal with it yourself" Best advice ever.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

You're right. It wasn't a big deal. It just would have made Qui-Gon look dumb if it wasn't Liam Neeson playing him. :D

Well Qui Gon Jinn in the novel is ok by me, his appearance in the end of EP III's novel is pretty good. Sure Liam Neeson made him really amazing.

Republic has no jurisdiction on Tatooine the hutts control what goes on there, so republic credits wouldn't work. In the immortal words of the tatooine milita in-game.

"You got a problem with the locals, buy a blaster and deal with it yourself" Best advice ever.

Jurisdiction or not I am sure she can conjure up something to trade or find someone willing to exchange currency.

At that time Padme didn't take Anakin as a important relative, and in EP II Shmi was already free.

as my previous post stated it would have been a thank you for destroying the droid control ship. And if she freed shmi chances are should would have taken her back to naboo.

as my previous post stated it would have been a thank you for destroying the droid control ship. And if she freed shmi chances are should would have taken her back to naboo.

Well she's the queen, got a lot to do on Naboo after the invasion. Also I don't think she's that nice.

She couldn't have because again, there is no Republic Jurisdiction on Tatooine. The hutts control what goes on, they wouldn't let some Republic person no matter how noble or revered she is come and take what is theirs. Plus Watto wouldn't allow it either, the only reason Anakin was freed because of a bet. I really doubt he would take that chance again, plus he has a shop to run so he needs more hands to help him with it he wouldn't let any more slaves get through his fingers.

The only reason he sold her later, was because obviously it seemed he was having a hard time with his shop since Anakin left and he was given a rather reasonable price for her.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

She couldn't have because again, there is no Republic Jurisdiction on Tatooine. The hutts control what goes on, they wouldn't let some Republic person no matter how noble or revered she is come and take what is theirs. Plus Watto wouldn't allow it either, the only reason Anakin was freed because of a bet. I really doubt he would take that chance again, plus he has a shop to run so he needs more hands to help him with it he wouldn't let any more slaves get through his fingers.

The only reason he sold her later, was because obviously it seemed he was having a hard time with his shop since Anakin left and he was given a rather reasonable price for her.

^This. The Republic currency is no good on outer rim and Hutt controlled worlds such as Tatooine. Although Padme could find something to trade, but even then I don't see her doing that for Anakin. They weren't close enough in between episodes for her to sell an arm and a leg to get his mother out.

^This. The Republic currency is no good on outer rim and Hutt controlled worlds such as Tatooine. Although Padme could find something to trade, but even then I don't see her doing that for Anakin. They weren't close enough in between episodes for her to sell an arm and a leg to get his mother out.

And of course the Jedi didn't do anything about it.

And of course the Jedi didn't do anything about it.

The Hutt Cartel is like a cockroach. You stomp and stomp and stomp on it, but it somehow keeps coming back. I believe the Jedi felt it was best to leave the Hutts to their business, they aren't worth the trouble.

She has the wealth of an entire planet at her disposal. I'm not just talking credits, but wealth. By all appearances Naboo was a very wealthy planet. Probably more wealth in her palace alone than on the entire planet of Tatooine. There is no question she could have found things to trade with Watto that were far more valuable than Shmi Skywalker. Watto could have bought a dozen slaves with the kinds of gifts Padme could have offered.

You think they weren't close enough for Padme to concern herself with freeing his mother? He saved her entire planet. Not only would it have been easy for her to justify the use of valuables to go trade with Watto, she could probably have collected them as donations from a grateful planet full of admirers. Think about how people raise thousands for all kinds of causes with Youtube videos nowadays. Now imagine a holo describing the young hero that saved the entire planet and how his loving mother is enslaved on harsh Tatooine. They would have enough valuable stuff to trade for Shmi 20 times over in less than a day.

Edited by RDeanOU

She has the wealth of an entire planet at her disposal. I'm not just talking credits, but wealth. By all appearances Naboo was a very wealthy planet. Probably more wealth in her palace alone than on the entire planet of Tatooine. There is no question she could have found things to trade with Watto that were far more valuable than Shmi Skywalker. Watto could have bought a dozen slaves with the kinds of gifts Padme could have offered.

You think they weren't close enough for Padme to concern herself with freeing his mother? He saved her entire planet. Not only would it have been easy for her to justify the use of valuables to go trade with Watto, she could probably have collected them as donations from a grateful planet full of admirers. Think about how people raise thousands for all kinds of causes with Youtube videos nowadays. Now imagine a holo describing the young hero that saved the entire planet and how his loving mother is enslaved on harsh Tatooine. They would have enough valuable stuff to trade for Shmi 20 times over in less than a day.

Thank you! Finally someone understands what I am trying to say! :jawa_biggrin:

Yup. Your post may well be (part of) the explanation for the inexplicable decision to turn Naboo's queenship into an elected position later. Padme could still have arranged to buy Shmi's freedom, but the oversight is less glaring if she's not a monarch. (A monarch, presumably, has a far more direct say over the distribution of her kingdom's assets.) Then again, the concept of a minority-aged elected executive is arguably even more implausible, so meh.

Shmi wasn't even the slave Watto wanted. He wanted Anakin. He held on to Shmi out of desperation, and probably out of no small measure of spite. After Watto's initial bout of petulance faded, it wouldn't have been so difficult to arrange a sale.

No, those money does not belong to her. Just like the president does not own the wealth of the whole US. Also that's after a crisis, they need to do a lot of things.

No, those money does not belong to her. Just like the president does not own the wealth of the whole US. Also that's after a crisis, they need to do a lot of things.

He already said they could have tried a charity donation thing which would not have taken anything from the government's coffers. Don't forget the gungans were saved tooby anakin. I am sure Jar Jar (ani's friend) could have convinced the boss to give something to trade.

He already said they could have tried a charity donation thing which would not have taken anything from the government's coffers. Don't forget the gungans were saved tooby anakin. I am sure Jar Jar (ani's friend) could have convinced the boss to give something to trade.

Remember it's after an invasion, they got a lot to do, and got to thank the gungans a lot.

Also, Palpatine already had an eye upon Anakin since the end of EP I, he could easily stop that.

You're bending yourself into a pretzel in a fruitless attempt to rationalize away the obvious. We're talking about a slave owned by junk dealer on an outer-rim dump of a desert planet. If Padme, and/or the Jedi for that matter, are half the people we're supposed to believe they are, then there's no reason they couldn't find a way to entice Watto to sell Shmi. Hell, they could probably buy her with water. The reason they didn't try has nothing to do with in-universe logic and everything to do with Lucas wanting to fabricate an angsty origin story for Anakin (an origin story that, btw, Lucas doesn't really even begin to explore until Episode II).

Edited by Invictos