Subs down 25%

Sabilok

I found this article and video interesting.

http://toroz.com.au/2012/05/swtor-video-news-the-400k-drop-issue/

I watched it. Thanks for the link :). I think he made some good points except were he said TOR needs to be a lot different than WoW and offer something unique from what WoW does. They allready do in the rich story, voice overs, companions, customizing UI and the Star Wars Universe. Where they failed however was to copy the advance features WoW does have. To name a couple would be the cross server LFG tools and the transmorging ( char gear customization for looks ). In WoW now, you can look totally different than any other char of the same class and race if you so desire. But you will not see any tanks wearing bikinis. :cool:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alone? Of course not, nor have I ever stated it alone. I've always grouped it in with ranked warzones, LFG tool, more orange gear, and at least letting us know what they're currently working on for the revamped open-world PvP. Seriously, they really need to at least tell us. And just because I mention those few, doesn't mean it's limited to that, either.

I think people just got off on a tangent when I mentioned that the current sub decrease is still above curve. But that doesn't mean it's going to stay above curve without a LOT of work...

Very good. :)

I watched it. Thanks for the link :). I think he made some good points except were he said TOR needs to be a lot different than WoW and offer something unique from what WoW does. They allready do in the rich story, voice overs, companions, customizing UI and the Star Wars Universe. Where they failed however was to copy the advance features WoW does have. To name a couple would be the cross server LFG tools and the transmorging ( char gear customization for looks ). In WoW now, you can look totally different than any other char of the same class and race if you so desire. But you will not see any tanks wearing bikinis. :cool:

I too had the same assessment. Also, his analysis of FTP models and or cheaper subscriptions is worthy to debate. In my own opinion I have no problem paying $15 a month if it promises smooth gameplay.

Your opinion isn't even close to fact.

real MMO gamers know what "dead" means. SWTOR ain't it.

The good news is that SWTOR still has more subscriptions than just about any other MMO ever launched. The bad news is its subscription arc is mimic'ing Rift/Warhammer/AgeofConan. Those games all crashed to under 30% of their peak subscriptions in under a year and became minor players in the MMO world. Frankly we all know that there's thousands of Star Wars fans that are considered subscribers but they stopped playing a long time ago. It is possible that SWTOR could make a comeback but no MMO that has had a 25% decrease has ever recovered the lost subscriptions.

What is likely to happen is you will see a player base of around 500-700k in December on about 100 servers. It will have a core of fanatic players that love the game that now has many of the features that many thought would be included at launch. And no one will come back.

At that point EA will have a choice. Invest more in a game that they put $200 million into and at best broke even? Or mentally write it off and squeeze every penny from it until subscriptions drop to the point that expenses exceed revenue. I know what I expect.

I know this is an extremely pessimistic view and i hope I'm wrong but I just don't see how the Bioware management is going to be able to convince EA to give them more money to make the massive changes needed to attract people back to the game. Which means while the game may appear to some to be standing it is technically dead.

The good news is that SWTOR still has more subscriptions than just about any other MMO ever launched. The bad news is its subscription arc is mimic'ing Rift/Warhammer/AgeofConan. Those games all crashed to under 30% of their peak subscriptions in under a year and became minor players in the MMO world. Frankly we all know that there's thousands of Star Wars fans that are considered subscribers but they stopped playing a long time ago. It is possible that SWTOR could make a comeback but no MMO that has had a 25% decrease has ever recovered the lost subscriptions.

What is likely to happen is you will see a player base of around 500-700k in December on about 100 servers. It will have a core of fanatic players that love the game that now has many of the features that many thought would be included at launch. And no one will come back.

At that point EA will have a choice. Invest more in a game that they put $200 million into and at best broke even? Or mentally write it off and squeeze every penny from it until subscriptions drop to the point that expenses exceed revenue. I know what I expect.

I know this is an extremely pessimistic view and i hope I'm wrong but I just don't see how the Bioware management is going to be able to convince EA to give them more money to make the massive changes needed to attract people back to the game. Which means while the game may appear to some to be standing it is technically dead.

*shrugs*

Go to Rift now. Servers feel full and content is still coming. That's all that matters.

Are people really believing EA, they dont tell the truth they have malipulated the numbers with free trials and free sub time. If we could get refunds on our time and fully cancel you would see about 500k ppl left playing.

No thanks. I stopped playing WoW and don't want SWTOR to go down the same route. To be honest what's the point WoW has 7 years on this game and does it better, if that's what you want to do, go play WoW. In my opinion Sci-fi v Fantasy is not enough of a difference if you want to compete, you have to appeal to a slightly different audience.

Are people really believing EA, they dont tell the truth they have malipulated the numbers with free trials and free sub time. If we could get refunds on our time and fully cancel you would see about 500k ppl left playing.

Anyone who doesn't take anything any developer on this planet says with a grain of salt is a fool.

Anyone who doesn't take anything any developer on this planet says with a grain of salt is a fool.

Funny. Weren't you trumpeting Daniel Erickson's "subs haven't dropped" statement a month ago?

Funny. Weren't you trumpeting Daniel Erickson's "subs haven't dropped" statement a month ago?

"Trumpeting"? Hardly. And if you were actually reading my entire posts, instead of cherry-picking, you would see that, even then, I said to take it with a grain of salt. Which, "grain of salt" does NOT mean abject disregard.

No thanks. I stopped playing WoW and don't want SWTOR to go down the same route. To be honest what's the point WoW has 7 years on this game and does it better, if that's what you want to do, go play WoW. In my opinion Sci-fi v Fantasy is not enough of a difference if you want to compete, you have to appeal to a slightly different audience.

I do still play WoW. And will play D3 starting tomorrow, while I still maintain a TOR and WoW sub. Who says you can only enjoy one game at a time in a day? :cool:

"Trumpeting"? Hardly. And if you were actually reading my entire posts, instead of cherry-picking, you would see that, even then, I said to take it with a grain of salt. Which, "grain of salt" does NOT mean abject disregard.

You have made plenty of ridiculous statements in this thread and then have professed that you have only been trying to convey facts, I can only surmise you are just trolling. You cant be the voice of reason and exercise sarcasm at the same time. Just like you cant come out with a farcical statement like "subs haven't dropped" a week before the investors report shows an exodus of 100s of thousands and expect anyone to believe anything that comes out of your mouth again (oh and just to clarify I'm not referring to you personally in that example)

You have made plenty of ridiculous statements in this thread and then have professed that you have only been trying to convey facts, I can only surmise you are just trolling. You cant be the voice of reason and exercise sarcasm at the same time. Just like you cant come out with a farcical statement like "subs haven't dropped" a week before the investors report shows an exodus of 100s of thousands and expect anyone to believe anything that comes out of your mouth again (oh and just to clarify I'm not referring to you personally in that example)

Sure I can. I just did. Sometimes it takes sarcasm to get through to rabid haters and fanbois alike.

Why wouldn't he? He's making the most of today before he goes over to Diablo 3. Plays it. QQ's and goes on to the next "big hit."

Well considering that Diablo 3 is something that 100% of the content can be done solo, and doesn't rely on having other people playing at all, there would be nothing to complain about in having dropping subscription numbers. That, and Diablo 3 isn't even an MMO, it is a single player game with a Multi player component, with no persistent world at all, and a lobby chat.

Well considering that Diablo 3 is something that 100% of the content can be done solo, and doesn't rely on having other people playing at all, there would be nothing to complain about in having dropping subscription numbers. That, and Diablo 3 isn't even an MMO, it is a single player game with a Multi player component, with no persistent world at all, and a lobby chat.

Very true and it has no sub. And is still a lot of fun running with friends. There will be tons playing it tomorrow. Which will affect how many TOR players are active I predict. Unless there are so many trying to logon at the same time and the servers crash.lol

In such a hurry to stereotype and classify, are we?

The game is losing subs, PVP queues are taking 30+ minutes, and planets are ghost towns across most servers. People who aren't rabid fanboys would classify that as "dead" or "dying"

Fanboys won't admit it's dead even if it's lying in a coma on life support until they actually pull the plug.

Why wouldn't he? He's making the most of today before he goes over to Diablo 3. Plays it. QQ's and goes on to the next "big hit."

I'm already feeling withdrawl symptoms from having a GW2 stress test today which was awesome.

Diablo 3 in 3 and a half hours to dull the pain.

:rak_04:

I just played through the D3 first act in a man group with 3 buddies. I can honestly say i havent had this much fun playing a game for years, its sooooo good. And the cinematics blew my mind.

Dont wanna sound bitter towards swtor, it has given me some light enternaiment. Its just compared to what i just experienced in D3 was so awesomesauce i would not dream of touching swtor again.

Thus i bid the swtor community adieu, good luck all and have fun all.