Boba Fett is Both Dead and Alive (Technically)

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what??

George Lucas created the universe it is his intellectual property. Since it is his what he says is the rule of the land. If he wants to add in a scene where all the movies are just the dream of Jar Jar binks then fine thats what it is. I may hate it but the offiical story is what he says.

I hate that Greedo shot first but since it's his universe then thats what happened.

I agree with the C-canon rules and do you think that Leeland Chee and Lucas don't know this? They did it on purpose. It's done on purpose so they can keep selling Boba Fett merchandise and thus fund Lucas's projects.

Also he wasn't declared dead to troll the fans he was declared dead SINCE THE BEGINING!!! There was never a time when Lucas said he survived.

Why do you think they created Jodo Kast and Jango Fett??? To give something else to the fans that isn't Boba Fett. Thats also why there has been a shift away from Boba Fett stories in general and a focus on Mandoalorian or pre New Hope Boba Fett.

Show me the script from the ORIGINAL ROTJ THAT STATES THAT HE DIED!!!! SHOW ME!!!! You want to play the "show me" game, let's play! Bring all your "canon" interviews.

LUCAS "DECLARED" HIM "DEAD" AFTER the Prequel garbage! I WANT TO SEE WHERE HE SAID IT EARLIER THAN THAT! As in BEFORE EPISODE I. You want to believe every word he says as Canon, then that's your right. I personally refuse to believe any crap that comes out of his mouth after the way he treated those of us who even stayed loyal after the PT came out.

And the fact that you ignore every ACTION George has ever taken in favor of what he says.... /facepalm

Because I, and I think I can speak for at least some others here, believe that actions speak a lot louder than words.

Also, by your OWN ARGUMENT, you just admitted that Fett is alive in C-Canon. Because unless Fett is Retconned in C-Canon, then he's alive there.

Edited by Captain_Zone

what??

George Lucas created the universe it is his intellectual property. Since it is his what he says is the rule of the land. If he wants to add in a scene where all the movies are just the dream of Jar Jar binks then fine thats what it is. I may hate it but the offiical story is what he says.

I hate that Greedo shot first but since it's his universe then thats what happened.

I agree with the C-canon rules and do you think that Leeland Chee and Lucas don't know this? They did it on purpose. It's done on purpose so they can keep selling Boba Fett merchandise and thus fund Lucas's projects.

Also he wasn't declared dead to troll the fans he was declared dead SINCE THE BEGINING!!! There was never a time when Lucas said he survived.

Why do you think they created Jodo Kast and Jango Fett??? To give something else to the fans that isn't Boba Fett. Thats also why there has been a shift away from Boba Fett stories in general and a focus on Mandoalorian or pre New Hope Boba Fett.

Again, if you go by that. There is no C Canon or S Canon. Lucas considers the EU a separate universe. To Lucas there is no EU now. Boba is alive in the EU. Lucas statements contradict all the rules of Canon. As he invalidates all of it by simply refusing to acknowledge it. He see's it as it's own thing. When he said Luke didn't get married, Boba is dead, etc. This was in reference to his movies. To him there is nothing after his movies. To him there is nothing before his movies. His movies are all that is.

Edited by Rhyltran

Again, if you go by that. There is no C Canon or S Canon. Lucas considers the EU a separate universe. To Lucas there is no EU now. Boba is alive in the EU. Lucas statements contradict all the rules of Canon. As he invalidates all of it by simply refusing to acknowledge it. He see's it as it's own thing. When he said Luke didn't get married, Boba is dead, etc. This was in reference to his movies. To him there is nothing after his movies. To him there is nothing before his movies. His movies are all that is.

Actually, the whole "Separate Universe" argument is pretty much null and void since George still has the No Kill order on his Big Three. Luke, Leia, and Han are not killable. If George really didn't care about the ExU, he would allow them to die. Also, his retcons of ExU lore to fit not just the movies, but how he thinks it should be... Lowbacca is now the ONLY Wookiee Jedi who ever lived. No others before or after him thanks to George's orders.

Otherwise, I agree with most of the stuff you said.

I wouldn't categorize it as a separate or parallel universe. I would simply categorize it as a time frame that Lucas doesn't care about, except peripherally. His interest is ONLY on whether or not events transpire with his characters at the center of it. As long as they live through it and come out on top, he's happy with raking in the swag.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Show me the script from the ORIGINAL ROTJ THAT STATES THAT HE DIED!!!! SHOW ME!!!! You want to play the "show me" game, let's play! Bring all your "canon" interviews.

LUCAS "DECLARED" HIM "DEAD" AFTER the Prequel garbage! I WANT TO SEE WHERE HE SAID IT EARLIER THAN THAT! As in BEFORE EPISODE I. You want to believe every word he says as Canon, then that's your right. I personally refuse to believe any crap that comes out of his mouth after the way he treated those of us who even stayed loyal after the PT came out.

And the fact that you ignore every ACTION George has ever taken in favor of what he says.... /facepalm

Because I, and I think I can speak for at least some others here, believe that actions speak a lot louder than words.

Also, by your OWN ARGUMENT, you just admitted that Fett is alive in C-Canon. Because unless Fett is Retconned in C-Canon, then he's alive there.

http://www.blueharvest.net/scoops/rotj-script.shtml

Here is George Saying Boba died BEFORE the prequels

"I don't know why. [Laughs]. I'm mystified by it. He's a mysterious character. He's a provocative character. He seems like an all powerful character, except he gets killed. Although he's gotten killed, the people who write the books, and everything, and the comics say 'we can't kill him, we gotta bring him back, we can't let him die!'"

Source: MTV re: Boba Fett's popularity 1997 SW:SE Special Source

again I don't want to believe every word he says as canon in fact I would rather it not be true BUT that's the way the canon system is set up.

But Fett already HAS been retcon by George Lucas saying he is dead. By allowing new books to be written about Boba Fett post ROTJ doesn't make Boba alive it just makes those books N-canon. I don't understand how you have such a hard time with this.

just because it's a separate universe doesn't mean he can't give rules for for it.

I agree that post ROTJ there is nothing that is canon acording to the canon rules. But that doesn't mean there isn't any C-canon at all. You still have everything PRE RotJ that is considered canon.

Edited by jarjarloves

http://www.blueharvest.net/scoops/rotj-script.shtml

Here is George Saying Boba died BEFORE the prequels

again I don't want to believe every word he says as canon in fact I would rather it not be true BUT that's the way the canon system is set up.

But Fett already HAS been retcon by George Lucas saying he is dead. By allowing new books to be written about Boba Fett post ROTJ doesn't make Boba alive it just makes those books N-canon. I don't understand how you have such a hard time with this.

Except those books are classified as C-Canon, as is every other Star Wars novel with Fett in it, or Fett mentioned as being alive in it post -RotJ. You just don't know how retconning works. If something is retconned, it's gone. Poof. As in, it ceases to exist except in the products that are already bought. Retcons pull products from store shelves, like a recall. Also, once something is retconned, no more products of that type may be published. So, if in fact George DID officially retcon Fett's existence in the Expanded Universe, then why are all those books still being written? Simple answer: He hasn't, since the original script for RotJ did not mention Fett dying. He fell into the Sarlacc. That was it. It left it open for him to come back. If the script said "Fett died", that would be different. But the screenplay and script said no such thing.

Just because Lucas says it, doesn't make it true. Even if he never came out and said that Fett survived afterwards, his actions say Fett did. He allows it, therefore THAT is what's true. Why do YOU have such a hard time with that?

Oh, and even you admit that he considered putting a scene in at the end of RotJ where Fett climbs out. Therefore, that is as good as an admission that it was possible he could have survived.

The ONLY thing C-Canon ABSOLUTELY has to do is keep with the MOVIE continuity. As long as it doesn't directly contradict what is seen on screen or in the novelization, and as long as Leland Chee and/or George Lucas approve it, it's C-Canon.

Edited by Captain_Zone

. I just showed you everything you asked for. The script says he died, george has Always said he died what more do you want? George also considered killing Lando and making Han solo a frog alien that doesnt mean it happened

The ONLY thing C-Canon ABSOLUTELY has to do is keep with the MOVIE continuity. As long as it doesn't directly contradict what is seen on screen or in the novelization

Thank you for proving yourself wrong.

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.

The movie the script, the novelization and GEORGE LUCAS all say Boba Fett is dead.

Edited by jarjarloves

Actually, the whole "Separate Universe" argument is pretty much null and void since George still has the No Kill order on his Big Three. Luke, Leia, and Han are not killable. If George really didn't care about the ExU, he would allow them to die. Also, his retcons of ExU lore to fit not just the movies, but how he thinks it should be... Lowbacca is now the ONLY Wookiee Jedi who ever lived. No others before or after him thanks to George's orders.

Otherwise, I agree with most of the stuff you said.

I wouldn't categorize it as a separate or parallel universe. I would simply categorize it as a time frame that Lucas doesn't care about, except peripherally. His interest is ONLY on whether or not events transpire with his characters at the center of it. As long as they live through it and come out on top, he's happy with raking in the swag.

Not necessarily. Lucas most likely realizes that the EU, whether he considers it an alternate universe or not, still brings in the money especially books dealing with the Big Three. So obviously he's going to have a "What not to do" List so the people don't severely ruin his Intellectual Property as he sees fit. (A lot of you are going to say he's doing that himself, but look who it is. To him it's right.) It's still his IP and also, as you can clearly see here, not that many people understand the canon system or how his views of the EU work, which could potentially dampen sales.

What part of this is difficult to understand? Regardless of whether or not Lucas personally want's Fett to be dead, he's allowed him to live on in the EU.

That means he didn't die.

Edit: And no, it doesn't matter if Lucas' decision was motivated by money.

Edited by Velaran

What part of this is difficult to understand? Regardless of whether or not Lucas personally want's Fett to be dead, he's allowed him to live on in the EU.

That means he didn't die.

Edit: And no, it doesn't matter if Lucas' decision was motivated by money.

no thats not how the canon system they set up works. By your logic Masters of Teras Kasi is 100% C-canon. Lucas allowed it to happen therefore its canon.

He has never come out and say Splinter of the Mind's Eye is not canon even though at one point it was considered canon. But the current Canon system makes it non canon.

Lucas allows a LOT of stuff that is clearly not canon to be made and yes i'm sorry but it IS important what Lucas says it is HIS IP, it is HIS UNIVERSE. If he wants to go back and make Han Solo look like Jar Jar Binks he can do it. It will suck and everyone will hate it but that is the way canon works.

Edited by jarjarloves

no thats not how the canon system they set up works. By your logic Masters of Teras Kasi is 100% C-canon. Lucas allowed it to happen therefore its canon.

He has never come out and say Splinter of the Mind's Eye is not canon even though at one point it was considered canon. But the current Canon system makes it non canon.

Lucas allows a LOT of stuff that is clearly not canon to be made and yes i'm sorry but it IS important what Lucas says it is HIS IP, it is HIS UNIVERSE. If he wants to go back and make Han Solo look like Jar Jar Binks he can do it. It will suck and everyone will hate it but that is the way canon works.

And yet Lucas continues to allow major works of canon that contain Fett to continue to be made.

If Lucas wanted Fett to be dead, he would retcon him out of existance. He hasn't, so Fett isn't.

And yet Lucas continues to allow major works of canon that contain Fett to continue to be made.

If Lucas wanted Fett to be dead, he would retcon him out of existance. He hasn't, so Fett isn't.

Nooooooooooo... Lucas allows major stories that are NOT canon to be made.

Thats the entire point of the canon system. They are rules so we the fans can tell what is official canon and what is not. Do you think its for the writers???

Lucas also allows major things that are not canon to be made all the time. Look at Star Tours.

Edited by jarjarloves

Thats the entire point of the canon system. They are rules so we the fans can tell what is official canon and what is not. Do you think its for the writers???

Lucas also allows major things that are not canon to be made all the time. Look at Star Tours.

I don't even think I need to explain why this is stupid.

Once upon a time I saw an interview where they asked Lucas about this on TV (no, I don't have a link, this interview happened before the internet). He essentially stated he allowed Fett to return because the people writing in the EU informed him he had killed off all of the cool villains in the movie. He may have changed his mind more recently, but at one point Fett was allowed to survive because writers convinced Lucas to let it happen. So yes, he's Schrodinger's Fett, both alive and dead. Or maybe he's Moorcock's Eternal Chamion invading Lucas' universe lol.

Once upon a time I saw an interview where they asked Lucas about this on TV (no, I don't have a link, this interview happened before the internet). He essentially stated he allowed Fett to return because the people writing in the EU informed him he had killed off all of the cool villains in the movie. He may have changed his mind more recently, but at one point Fett was allowed to survive because writers convinced Lucas to let it happen. So yes, he's Schrodinger's Fett, both alive and dead. Or maybe he's Moorcock's Eternal Chamion invading Lucas' universe lol.

MTV 1997. He never said he let him live Just that people wanted him back.

"I don't know why. [Laughs]. I'm mystified by it. He's a mysterious character. He's a provocative character. He seems like an all powerful character, except he gets killed. Although he's gotten killed, the people who write the books, and everything, and the comics say 'we can't kill him, we gotta bring him back, we can't let him die!'"

Source: MTV re: Boba Fett's popularity 1997 SW:SE Special Source

I don't even think I need to explain why this is stupid.

oh no please do and try to stay away from insults when you are proven wrong.

oh no please do and try to stay away from insults when you are proven wrong.

I wasn't insulting you, I was insulting the stupidity you had just typed.

I don't know you as a person, so I can't really insult you.

This means that the EU is non-canon, but that defeats the entire point of the canon system. You may as well put a tag on the cover of every EU material saying "what if."

I wasn't insulting you, I was insulting the stupidity you had just typed.

I don't know you as a person, so I can't really insult you.

This means that the EU is non-canon, but that defeats the entire point of the canon system. You may as well put a tag on the cover of every EU material saying "what if."

yes because not knowing someone on the internet has prevented people from insulting them.

But it doesn't mean that at all. There is more to the EU then post ROTJ... A LOT MORE. But there is a lot of stuff in the EU that contradicts stuff from the movies as well as stuff in the EU itself.

The Canon system is there because there was always fans screaming "wait but in this book this happened" and so on. So they made the canon system to take care of that.

yes because not knowing someone on the internet has prevented people from insulting them.

They're never the right kind of insults. You need to really know someone for those.

But it doesn't mean that at all. There is more to the EU then post ROTJ... A LOT MORE. But there is a lot of stuff in the EU that contradicts stuff from the movies as well as stuff in the EU itself.

The Canon system is there because there was always fans screaming "wait but in this book this happened" and so on. So they made the canon system to take care of that.

That's the point! Nothing about Fett being alive contradicts ROTJ. In the EU, (and technically in the movie) Boba Fett lives. IF Lucas wanted Fett to be dead, he would say "Fett is dead" and just start retconning the **** out of the EU.

They're never the right kind of insults. You need to really know someone for those.

That's the point! Nothing about Fett being alive contradicts ROTJ. In the EU, (and technically in the movie) Boba Fett lives. IF Lucas wanted Fett to be dead, he would say "Fett is dead" and just start retconning the **** out of the EU.

wait so you are saying that Boba Fett dies in ROTJ and that him coming out of the Sarlac pit doesn't contradict him being dead????

The movies say he dies in the sarlac.

I have shown quote after quote that George Lucas says Boba Fett is dead

Edited by jarjarloves

wait so you are saying that Boba Fett dies in ROTJ and that him coming out of the Sarlac pit doesn't contradict him being dead????

The movies say he dies in the sarlac.

No. The movies never say that. Fett falls into the Sarlacc, and everyone rides off. There's no commentary on the situation.

. I just showed you everything you asked for. The script says he died, george has Always said he died what more do you want? George also considered killing Lando and making Han solo a frog alien that doesnt mean it happened

Thank you for proving yourself wrong.

The movie the script, the novelization and GEORGE LUCAS all say Boba Fett is dead.

Here's an idea. Think for yourself for a moment. Would George REALLY allow something that isn't Canon in his IP?

And your example of Star Tours and other amusement park rides is just asinine, so don't bother with that.

I have the original novelization of RotJ and it doesn't say he died. So take that and shove it out the window. Also, that script you linked is highly suspect. Anyone can post doctored scripts, so unless it's a LucasArts website that has it, it's probably not real. Do you believe everything you see online from a 3rd party website??

Stop defending George for one moment and use your brain. His ACTIONS speak a lot louder than his WORDS.

Is it so difficult to comprehend that the man has lied and backpedalled more than a clown on a unicycle? Is EVERYTHING he says Canon to you? If George came out tomorrow and said "Luke poops blue and green lightsaber crystals", would THAT be Canon to you?

I'm done responding if you insist on defending George after all the garbage he's pulled. He allows Fett to live in C-Canon. That right there proves his ACTIONS in that regard overrule any previous WORDS he might have said. As I've pointed out numerous times to you, he allows Fett to live so he can rake in the money. But for Fett to be alive, he had to be worked into C-Canon.

Oh, and ON-SCREEN, Boba Fett wasn't shown dying, and nobody said he was dead.

Edited by Captain_Zone

I totally believe the EU, and in the Legacy book series, Boba Fett is a major character, ALIVE. Also in the same series, he cured of most effects of clone aging, so he'll be around for a very long time.

Even Lucas doesn't believe what he says I'm fairly sure, considering his very passionate speech to Congress about how films are part of cultural heritage and should not be updated with new scenes, soundtracks, and "fresher actor faces" in 1988... and then he himself did all of those things less than 10 years later when creating the Special Editions of the OT, and again 15 years later with the ongoing 3D releases. But that's beside the point.

First, that script that was cited. Here's the ROTJ scene in question:

35 EXT SKIFF 35

Boba lands on the skiff and starts to aim his laser gun at Luke,

who has freed Han and Chewie from their bonds. But before Boba

can fire, the young Jedi spins on him, lightsaber sweeping, and

hacks the bounty hunter's gun in half.

Immediately, the skiff takes another direct hit from the barge's

deck gun. Shards of skiff deck fly. Chewie and Han are thrown

against the rail.

HAN

Chewie, you okay? Where is he?

The Wookiee is wounded and he howls in pain.

HAN

I'm okay, pal.

For a moment, Luke is distracted, and in that moment, Boba fires

a cable out of his armored sleeve. Instantly, Luke is wrapped in

a strong cable, his arms pinned against his side, his sword arm

free only from the wrist down. Luke bends his wrist so the lightsaber

points straight up to reach the wire lasso and cuts through. Luke

shrugs away the cable and stands free.

Another blast from the Barge's deck gun hits near Boba and he is

knocked unconscious to the deck, next to where Lando is hanging.

LANDO

Han! Chewie?

HAN

Lando!

Luke is a little shaken but remains standing as a fusillade

brackets him. The second skiff, loaded with guards firing their

weapons, moves in on Luke fast. Luke leaps toward the incoming

second skiff. The young Jedi leaps into the middle of the second

skiff and begins decimating the guards from their midst.

Chewie, wounded, tries to lift himself as he barks directions to

Han, guiding him toward a spear which has been dropped by one of

the guards. Han searches the deck as Chewie barks directions;

finally he grabs hold of the spear.

Boba Fett, badly shaken, rises from the deck. He looks over at

the other skiff, where Luke is whipping a mass of guards. Boba

raises his arm, and aims his lethal appendage.

Chewie barks desperately at Han.

HAN

Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! Where?

The space pirate turns around blindly, and the long spear in his

hand whacks squarely in the middle of Boba's rocket pack.

The impact of the swing causes the rocket pack to ignite. Boba

blasts off, flying over the second skiff like a missile, smashing

against the side of the huge Sail Barge and sliding away into the

pit. He screams as his armored body makes its last flight past

Lando and directly into the mucous mouth of the Sarlacc. The

Sarlacc burps. Chewie growls a weak congratulations to Han.

36 INT SAIL BARGE 36

Leia turns from the spectacle outside...

Sorry, no mention of death there at all. The closest possible could be the "last flight" part, but that most likely means the last flight in the scene. He's screaming, which indicates he's certainly alive when he enters the Sarlacc's mouth.

Now, what I do find interesting comes from the recently updated Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide. The updated book was published about 2 weeks ago, and it covers all canon material (G, T, and C) from The Old Republic (including SWTOR btw) to beyond the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. From page 133:

Accompanying Jabba to the Great Pit of Carkoon, Boba Fett attacks the Rebels as they try to escape. A lucky shot from a blind Han Solo ignites Fett's jetpack, sending the mercenary tumbling into the waiting mouth of the Sarlaac. After several agonizing days, Fett blasts his way out of the creature and is rescued by his fellow bounty hunter, Dengar.

This is accompanied by a picture of Fett near the opening of the Sarlaac, with the creature wrapping its tentacles around Fett's legs, while he blasts down at the creature's mouth with his flamethrower.

Now, why would that possibly be there? Because the OP is correct.

"Q: Did George Lucas intend for Boba Fett to die in the sarlacc, despite what others may say or print?

A: Yes, in George's view -- as far as the films go -- the baddest bounty hunter in the Galaxy met his match in the Great Pit of Carkoon where --unfortunately for Mr. Fett -- the ghastly sarlacc made its home.

However, Lucas also approved Fett's comeback in the expanded universe. And of course, by going back in time with the prequels, the Star Wars creator has brought Boba Fett back to life himself, albeit at a much younger age."

- Steve Sansweet, LFL/Fan Relations, December 2002 - "Does Lucas Consider Boba Dead?", StarWars.com

Well I know there will be an outcry due to the date stamped there, so let's fast forward beyond the MTV interview and see what our Keeper of the Holocron, Leland Chee says...

"And all G level would mean GL himself checks over it right?

G-level canon has nothing to do with GL checking over anything. It's anything that can be taken from the films or internal notes from him which can come from discussions, early drafts, or comments on GL-approved text.

The G/C/S-level canon stuff is a construct specifically for the Holocron. Non-Holocron users would have no idea what this stuff even means and I would say most of the people who use the Holocron don't use the field, instead looking specifically to the source of the material. Individual entries are not broken down by canon level.

This is how I use it:

- We need a list of characters from the films. I'll do a search of characters by G-canon.

- We need a list of some planets from the films and the EU. I'll do a search for planets sorted by canon to determine which ones are going to recognized by more people.

- Source A contradicts Source B. More likely than not, if Source A is from the films and Source B is from the EU, we'll use Source A. Of course, there can always be exceptions which is why the case-by-case determination is always in effect no matter what the Sources."

- Leland Chee, LLP continuity database admin, Oct. 2005 - from the "Holocron database continuity questions" thread at the StarWars.com forums

"I'd be interested to know what circumstances would allow the EU to overthrow the films. . .

Well, you've got the Boba Fett thing. Then there's stormtroopers where there's a bunch of sources released prior to Ep2 that said that they were human recruits. Hence we established that while most stormtroopers are clones, there are some that are recruits.

- Leland Chee, LLP continuity database admin, Nov. 2005 - from the "Holocron database continuity questions" thread at the StarWars.com forums

So there you have it. He IS dead in G-canon and he IS alive in C-canon. Fett is considered an exception to the canon rule, because of his popularity. The conflict is with an offhand comment made by Lucas, but not with the movie itself. If you only want to believe in G-canon, that is fine... but don't demand that everybody agree with you because he is alive in C-canon and it was approved as such. Of course, it is worth mentioning that the story created in the game that this forum centers around is also C-canon (not G-canon).

Over and done. Seriously... this kind of senseless bickering is most likely a major reason why Lucas now refuses to make a third trilogy.... probably even more than the reception of the prequels. He's flat-out stated that the way things play out in the EU is not the way he would do it, thus a new trilogy would create a whole slew of retcons by necessity... and he knows this would incite a massive backlash as a result.

Edited by bmhale

I was more surprised the first time that Boba wasn't already dead before entering the sarlacc. I mean the guy flew right into the sail barge on his side(so broken arm rib? Perhaps some internal bleeding? Imagine he should have gotten a concussion) and then dropped 5 feet leg first breaking both of his legs(or at least in the video, when you hear/see him drop it sounds like bones being crunched)