>> Lock Companion Affection at 10,000

DkSharktooth

So you get all your companions to 10k affection.

Yay doing dailies to get 200 comms for the new relics....

Mako -1 because I space bared through it

Mako + 40 ... doesn't matter i'm at 10k

Mako -1 because she is a goodie two shoes

Now I have 9,999 affection when I do a daily and have to give her a companion gift because I am forced to space bar through outdated daily quests.

Yes, you can make the argument that you can exit from the dialogue if you got -1 and re-do the quest dialogue.

Daily quests should not make you lose -1 at 10k affection, nobody cares about them after they did them once or twice.

Can we please have companion affection lock at 10,000 and stop the -1's making it 9,999, it's a really big annoyance factor. There is no reason for anyone to want it to go down.

Edited by DkSharktooth

There is no reason for anyone to want it to go down.

Then don't chose a dialog option that gives you a - to affection. Even if you do spacebar though it, you should know which one will give you the - and don't pick it.

yeah but realy, the -1 is kinda anoing, ill give him that.

When i started playing i thought to myself, o cool -1 is a realy small penaly, then some time later i thought man this is realy a -15 or even a -41 (for the first companion. for for the rest), beacuse i did not choose the "right" anser.

i think it should be changed to a 0 afection to let you know the companion didnt like the choice and leave it at that.

also, i have another sugestin in another treat, some time i feal foced to bring X companion along just because my playstile suits it better, Example i love Mako as my healer, but if i want to build a relacionship with another crew member i cant have the heals.

adding diferent rolls to your companions, so any companion can be Tank/DPS/Healer, some where it could be cool.

Because dismisiong a companion and briging a new one just for the las moment its anoing.

i think it should be changed to a 0 afection to let you know the companion didnt like the choice and leave it at that.

Why? If they didn't like your answer then there should be a hit to affection, that's kinda the whole point. This isn't much different then saying that when you hit 10k LS or DS points you shouldn't be able to get any more DS or LS points.

adding diferent rolls to your companions, so any companion can be Tank/DPS/Healer, some where it could be cool.

Bring out the one you want when you're doing dialog and then send them away after you're done. Also you can buy a ton of affection with gifts.

Oh look. Another "I'm to lazy to play the game correctly, so BW should give me stuff" thread.

You are not "forced" to spacebar through dialog; you choose to.

You can look at the dialog choices and see which one is giving you the -1, and make another choice. You only have to do that once. Open Notepad in the background or get a piece of paper and write down the choices if you can't remember.

If there's going to be a cap, I agree, it should lock you in once you hit it. Having it able to go down once you hit that but not up doesn't really make sense, and saying you should only choose options that keep affection levels at 10k is a really silly way to play when pre-cap you can get +15, +15, -1 and end up with +29. Once you hit that cap, +15, +15, -1 can only give you either zero or negative amounts of affection. It isn't logical.

While it is annoying, the simple solution is to just dismiss your companion before conversations. It would be kind of boring if you could never hurt your relationship with your companion after you'd maxed out affection. Edited by thewatcheruatu

• 1 year later...

The real issue here is the bias. This mechanic only affects certain class/role/alignment combinations.

I want to play a dark side power tech (imperial class) with Mako healing me as my companion. In the current version of the game I have to dismiss Mako before every conversation to keep my affection or risk losing affection and the 10k bonus.

BioWare gives you an incentive to get over that initial hump by giving you a sense of purpose and the opportunity to breathe personality into your character. In the amount of time it takes to get through the first dialogue bit, you may be tempted to proudly announce to anyone nearby that you're "the most evil Sith ever," or "a Bounty Hunter with a heart of gold and an eye for credits." From there, BioWare gives you hundreds more opportunities to reinforce your identity (or flip-flop entirely). This makes learning the complex game systems feel like more of a side-effect of role-playing your character than a requirement to move forward.

This is a quote from Nick Kolan's review of SWTOR on the IGN website. (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/07/star-wars-the-old-republic-review)

It would be nice if this was true. The truth is, one person wrote the story line for the bounty hunter and decided how it should be played, and now everyone needs to play it that person's way or be penalized.

This is the kind of mechanic that will drive me to quit the game once I have played through a class's story line.

If companion affection was merely a measure of how much they liked or disliked you and had no effect on other game play at all, then I would be fine with losing affection etc once you have capped it. Then its just a measure of how much they like or dislike you.

Instead, Companion Affection has a tangible/quantifiable reward and so losing affection diminishes that reward.

This does indeed force players, to have to juggle affection to maintain the reward. Which means they have to answer dialogue etc, in a way they may not want to, OR mke them dismiss companions before every conversation, which while not a huge deal, is a silly requirement.

I can see both sides of the argument. I tend to err towards dismissing a companion but I also do not really see the harm in 'locking' affection at 10k once it is received.

The real issue here is the bias. This mechanic only affects certain class/role/alignment combinations.

the real issue is....a 2 year necro

light/dark is already un important other than some dark side corruption which can be hidden. social is also almost moot after a certain level, legacy also.

leave it alone