Instant cast are not INSTANT

Junebugs

Some of this was pointed out in Beta.

All damage for instants are instant. If it's an instant skill, the second you press the button the target takes damage. HOWEVER...

You're ability to use skills is fully dependent on two things:

1. The GCD

2. The animation time of the previous skill used.

true for almost anything except project, the damage doesnt happen untill the gcd is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jcRW6nO6M

Edited by Fentz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax, get into the flow. It works very well.

You may feel its limiting you in pvp, but it's a realistic limitation...one that your opponent shares as well.

Cheeeeeell.

I couldn't say it better. Thank you sir :)

Sounds like the OP is talking about animations not cast times. Is that seriously a problem? I'd much rather see my toon launch that rocket, watch it fly to the target and go boom, than have it just blow the dude to hell the second i hit the button. Did the OP just run out of stuff to complain about or is this legit?

You have to watch your rocket all the way to impact until you can take any other action, even if this your rocket's flight takes longer than the GCD. Can't get more legit.

Just to clarify. Everyone is talking about melee but has anyone played a ranged class in pvp and found that whenever they cast and ability the melee person attacking them that is buzzing around there heads like a fly hitting you with ability after ability is immune to everything you do? I had a dual sabre Jedi hitting me like mad on my sorcerer and every ability I cast instant or not would fail with the error similar to "must be facing your target" so I died without getting a hit off. I prefer the melee combat because it feels better in pvp to me as I have an operative aswell compared to the caster combat. Ok casters that get a chance to stand still **** face but thats what they are there for :-p

The game is still fantastic and I love the idea of the combat and it will all get sorted in time. Everyone has to remember it has only just been released.

P.s. I have a 20minute reuse timer on my punctuation sorry :-p

One option is to turn off the "next skill queue" time.. it's in the options somewhere and I think it defaults to .5 seconds.

If you set it to 0 it should make instants feel more instant since you won't be able to cast it until you can actually perform it.

You have to watch your rocket all the way to impact until you can take any other action, even if this your rocket's flight takes longer than the GCD. Can't get more legit.

Actions don't queue? I'll have to pay closer attention, but I could swear I didn't have to wait for the explosion to hit the next button.

At WoW, with mage, if you spam Icelance, when you casting Frostbolt, your Mage will send an icelance when your frostbolt is on the air (so you can clearly see two attacks on the air), my friend was using that trick in Arena.

He was saying his mage sending this icelance from his ....., since there is no animation for it.

I'm not saying it is a bad thing, clearly Blizzard simply don't care some issues to accelerate using abilities so they can create more engaging combat feeling.

I think, Bioware can do the same, we don't have to see instant cast animations if there is an animation already going on. Let ability to fire or if it's melee to hit it's target, if it works for WoW and everybody praise it, let it be. ;)

There is a setting in Preferences that allows you to adjust the amount of time before a GCD is finished that you can queue the next ability. This can help create a more smooth experience for many situations.

My only real complaint about combat is in regards to animations. If a Sith Warrior uses Force Charge from max range, the damage is done instantly and you see their health bar begin to drop before the Sith Warrior has even closed half the distance to the target. That just seems odd to me.

Right ...

So the SWTOR combat system is a little slower but more cinematic than wow's I agree. (I like the swtor combat system before anyone thinks I'm hating).

I get that.

So the SWTOR combat system works on animation times more than it does GCD.

I get that.

Wow's combat system works off pure GCD.

I get that.

THEN why the hell is wow's damage done on impact and SWTOR's animation driven combat got the damage being caused straight away?

I don't get that.

To make the combat feel more real I'd like my damage to be done when my bullet hits. The next time a mob dies as I press an ability used a ranged projectile just to watch the "cinematic" combat style bullet either crash into an already dead body or over the top of a dead body.

I'm sorry like I say I love the cinematic combat but what makes it feel disjointed to me is when the damage is caused.

An instant cast spell I guarantee will feel more instant if the animation happened then the damage but the positioning at time of activation still stands. Which is why wow's combat feels more fluid. I'm not talking combat speed but the way it flows.

If you don't agree then I understand and am willing to listen to opinion but as a disclaimer this is just opinion. I'm a simple man. I know I'm not a scientist or a game designer. But I'm a savage geek and I like to think I know games and I know why "I" like.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.