How much bonus dmg should GS have?

Bartes

I thought I have enough (close to 500 with buffs) but mate told me I must be lacking something (power?) coz my average crits in WZs vary from 3k to 4,5k. So I assume problem is with my gear (full augmented BM with original mods) .

Any advice on what I should change? I am quite happy with my setup now and would hate to loose almost 20k HP but I assume if I could kill a bit faster it would negate lesser survability.

crit is like 37% and crit multi about 68% so it must be power stat that I am missing, right?

Any tips?

I thought I have enough (close to 500 with buffs) but mate told me I must be lacking something (power?) coz my average crits in WZs vary from 3k to 4,5k. So I assume problem is with my gear (full augmented BM with original mods) .

Any advice on what I should change? I am quite happy with my setup now and would hate to loose almost 20k HP but I assume if I could kill a bit faster it would negate lesser survability.

crit is like 37% and crit multi about 68% so it must be power stat that I am missing, right?

Any tips?

What is your Accuracy at? You surge rating is on the low side, try for between 70-75%. Which augments did you use?

What is your Accuracy at? You surge rating is on the low side, try for between 70-75%. Which augments did you use?

accuracy is about 105% atm. Augments I use are the original BM (Field Tech) as I wrote before. In addition I have augments all over but not all are surge ones (2 surge, 2 crit, 3 cunning). Surge augments are kinda hard to find on GTN, for whatever reason it is filled with crit/defense ones. I must experiment with some enhancements from other classes BM maybe it will help.

Soon gonna switch to WH gear so it will be even bigger problem with surge I suppose.

Got a few War Hero pieces now...I can tell ya my crit/surge was and still is kinda low so been getting all the +crit/surge pieces first. I wish I would of looked ahead of time...but the War Hero Medic pistol is the only one that comes with crit/surge. The others are accuracy/crit I believe. BW seems to think we really really need accuracy to be 110% or higher haha.

Good luck on our gear quest! I need to get the hookup with augmented pieces like you! =D

accuracy is about 105% atm. Augments I use are the original BM (Field Tech) as I wrote before. In addition I have augments all over but not all are surge ones (2 surge, 2 crit, 3 cunning). Surge augments are kinda hard to find on GTN, for whatever reason it is filled with crit/defense ones. I must experiment with some enhancements from other classes BM maybe it will help.

Soon gonna switch to WH gear so it will be even bigger problem with surge I suppose.

BM gear is kinda, blah. If you have extra comms, you can buy Enforcer or Field Medic and pull the mods. As I recall the set bonus on BM is on the shell.

A 270-300 surge rating would put you roughly at 75%. You crit looks good, after getting surge up a tad more, go for power. Aimed Shot, Quickshot & Sab charge benefit from bonus damage.

Remember your OH wpn does damage too. To bad your not on my server I have all the epic augment recipes being a Armstech.

And if you have not done so, max out affection for all your companions.

How is your expertise? I have not done much PvP of late, but even with my 500 ish expertise (old school champion set) I've crit some for 4k to 5k using rakata level wpns.

Its just one of those things, one day it will just happen.

Edited by Junostorm

Got a few War Hero pieces now...I can tell ya my crit/surge was and still is kinda low so been getting all the +crit/surge pieces first. I wish I would of looked ahead of time...but the War Hero Medic pistol is the only one that comes with crit/surge. The others are accuracy/crit I believe. BW seems to think we really really need accuracy to be 110% or higher haha.

Good luck on our gear quest! I need to get the hookup with augmented pieces like you! =D

The base defense of a Sage and Inquisitor is 10%, the accuracy helps. And the extra accuracy helps with your OH wpn as well.

Decide on your crit (32-35% is fine buffed). Get surge to 74-77%. Get accuracy to 100%.

Then basically you have to decide between power and hp. That's the trade off. ideally, for full BM you will be looking at around 17k hp to stay with good enough power. War Hero from what I've seen will probably want to sit at 20k hp.

Edited by ZDProletariat

Decide on your crit (32-35% is fine buffed). Get surge to 74-77%. Get accuracy to 100%.

Then basically you have to decide between power and hp. That's the trade off. ideally, for full BM you will be looking at around 17k hp to stay with good enough power. War Hero from what I've seen will probably want to sit at 20k hp.

I did some testing last night with my slinger on a pvp dummy.

I used relic to boost my surge from 69 to 77 surge. I found out that its a VERY LITTLE or no difference with the critt dmg.(used aimshoot for testing. about 20 with and without surge boost) I was told that surge soft cap is 70, but alot of people tell me otherwise, and thats why I had it tested.

Is this reason people keep saying its 75-77 because they dont know about the change that came with 1.2?

I did some testing last night with my slinger on a pvp dummy.

I used relic to boost my surge from 69 to 77 surge. I found out that its a VERY LITTLE or no difference with the critt dmg.(used aimshoot for testing. about 20 with and without surge boost) I was told that surge soft cap is 70, but alot of people tell me otherwise, and thats why I had it tested.

Is this reason people keep saying its 75-77 because they dont know about the change that came with 1.2?

That is enough for three aimed shots during the duration of the buff from the relic. This is too small a sample, unless you ran the test many times.

A 75-77% critical multiplier is easily obtained with a 300 surge rating and your MDPS companion's affection max out.

Aimed shot greatly benefits from bonus damage, get the surge rating up and then begin to stack power. You will be begin to notice a huge jump in critical damage from Aimed Shot, Quickdraw as well.

Getting your surge up is only one piece of the puzzle you need the other pieces to final see the completed picture.

That is enough for three aimed shots during the duration of the buff from the relic. This is too small a sample, unless you ran the test many times.

A 75-77% critical multiplier is easily obtained with a 300 surge rating and your MDPS companion's affection max out.

Aimed shot greatly benefits from bonus damage, get the surge rating up and then begin to stack power. You will be begin to notice a huge jump in critical damage from Aimed Shot, Quickdraw as well.

Getting your surge up is only one piece of the puzzle you need the other pieces to final see the completed picture.

I'd like to belive you, but my test prove you wrong. While my surge relic was on cooldown, I did some aimshoots with a power relic activated. I had with no doubt more dmg with that activated, than without.

So I just cant see any reason why you would go for more surge after you hit the soft cap (70%)

If you dont belive me, you should try it youself.

I did some experimenting with augments and noticed that +cunning ones benefit me way more than +power ones. When I changed 1 cunning augment to power one my bonus damage went from 468 to 462! so I switched it back to cunning. Maybe I should go for all cunning augments... dunno. If I remember correctly my cunning with Rakata Skill Stim is around 1600, maybe bit more with class buff.

Just to point out I have every companion maxed out now and unlocked in Legacy. Each gives like 1% boost to something. Also I have finished ch2 on every class so I can buff myself with 4 buffs at will. My expertise hangs around 1200 but I usually use 1 other (PvE) relic like matrix cube or campaign proc one (too lazy to click). First for more cunning/crit other for HP boost so with those my expertise is exactly 1128. In guns I have +41 power crystals and rather not exchange them for expertise ones. Read somewhere that around 1100 expertise is enough.

Now, I know OH weapon also does damage and it is not always visible so in theory if I crit someone for 4k and OH crits as well my total damage is about 5-6k, still, if I remember correctly my highest single damage in lvl 50 WZ was like 6200 but it happened like once or twice.

So, I am still hearing stories how some GS/SS shoot ppl for 8k in WZs repeatedly without using adrenals/relics and I am curious as hell how they do it.

Oh and thx for answers so for :)

You may need to wait for the numbers to refresh before judging them properly. Taking the cunning augment out will immediately adjust the numbers. But, putting a power augment in may not (and usually doesn't) adjust those numbers back, immediately. Losing +18 cunning would cause a drop of 3.5 damage and 0.1% crit (just out of my butt).

The multipliers for cunning versus power are 0.2 and 0.23, respectively. I believe your stats didn't update before you switched the augments back out.

Edited by Vudu

If your talking about big numbers in Warzones I'm surprised more mention of Expertise hasn't been mentioned. If you have a 1000 Expertise you have around a 20% damage boost, and 17% damage reduction. So even if they have the same expertise as you you'll be getting a 3% boost to damage. If your target is not PvP Aware (I seem the every so often) and has very little Expertise your going to hit them super hard. Someone with around 500 Expertise is only going to have a 10% damage reduction. You'd think everyone would be stacking expertise, but occasionally they are not.

I did some experimenting with augments and noticed that +cunning ones benefit me way more than +power ones. When I changed 1 cunning augment to power one my bonus damage went from 468 to 462! so I switched it back to cunning. Maybe I should go for all cunning augments... dunno. If I remember correctly my cunning with Rakata Skill Stim is around 1600, maybe bit more with class buff.

Just to point out I have every companion maxed out now and unlocked in Legacy. Each gives like 1% boost to something. Also I have finished ch2 on every class so I can buff myself with 4 buffs at will. My expertise hangs around 1200 but I usually use 1 other (PvE) relic like matrix cube or campaign proc one (too lazy to click). First for more cunning/crit other for HP boost so with those my expertise is exactly 1128. In guns I have +41 power crystals and rather not exchange them for expertise ones. Read somewhere that around 1100 expertise is enough.

Now, I know OH weapon also does damage and it is not always visible so in theory if I crit someone for 4k and OH crits as well my total damage is about 5-6k, still, if I remember correctly my highest single damage in lvl 50 WZ was like 6200 but it happened like once or twice.

So, I am still hearing stories how some GS/SS shoot ppl for 8k in WZs repeatedly without using adrenals/relics and I am curious as hell how they do it.

Oh and thx for answers so for :)

Your solid, if your hitting for that amount. As for the others claiming 8k hits without using adrenals/relics either they found the only person in the warzone with zero expertise or they are talking out the butts.

Edited by Junostorm

You may need to wait for the numbers to refresh before judging them properly. Taking the cunning augment out will immediately adjust the numbers. But, putting a power augment in may not (and usually doesn't) adjust those numbers back, immediately. Losing +18 cunning would cause a drop of 3.5 damage and 0.1% crit (just out of my butt).

The multipliers for cunning versus power are 0.2 and 0.23, respectively. I believe your stats didn't update before you switched the augments back out.

Cunning is affected by two things power is not, the 9% talent and 5% Sage buff boost. After you factor in both of those into Cunning the difference between the two stats is quite small.

Cunning is affected by two things power is not, the 9% talent and 5% Sage buff boost. After you factor in both of those into Cunning the difference between the two stats is quite small.

Still, I don't see how damage would drop as much as claimed by switching a cunning augment for a power augment. One would be 0.228 after buffs and the other 0.23. If my maths are right.

If your talking about big numbers in Warzones I'm surprised more mention of Expertise hasn't been mentioned. If you have a 1000 Expertise you have around a 20% damage boost, and 17% damage reduction. So even if they have the same expertise as you you'll be getting a 3% boost to damage. If your target is not PvP Aware (I seem the every so often) and has very little Expertise your going to hit them super hard. Someone with around 500 Expertise is only going to have a 10% damage reduction. You'd think everyone would be stacking expertise, but occasionally they are not.

People are using pvp gear. Expertise isn't a stat that you "stack" it's just what you have to pvp on so why would it be part of the discussion?

Also, it's not 3% damage boost. the damage reduction nullifies the damage boost if both people have equal expertise.

either thre is something wrong with the way dmg is calculated or I am going crazy.

I put WH boots (without augment) and started to crit noticably more. Still not that fabled 8k crits but 4.5k-5.5k happens quite often and one time I did crit for almost 6.8k with WZ adrenal and power relic enabled. I havn't peoperly looked at the stats yet but my surge went up to almost 72% and I lost 1% crit + some minor stats due to augment missing (still missing like 10k valor for 70 :p ).

My bonus dmg (without adrenal/relic) shows 495 now (was like 462) but I am quite sure I lost some power and cunning with the change.

So maybe it is possible to make 8k crit once in a blue moon after all. I mean with some luck, mod switching and adrenal/relic.

Edited by Bartes

Guys.... I have just finished PVE as a GS with 17534HP and have done really well overall with questing. I just did a war zone for my first PVP and was amazed at how fast things happen. I was wondering what targeting selectors work best due to everybody running around. This will be the first of many questions so what guild would be good to learn from and work with?...

Thanks for the help in advance.

Guys.... I have just finished PVE as a GS with 17534HP and have done really well overall with questing. I just did a war zone for my first PVP and was amazed at how fast things happen. I was wondering what targeting selectors work best due to everybody running around. This will be the first of many questions so what guild would be good to learn from and work with?...

Thanks for the help in advance.

you should make a new topic tbh but:

- I really hope you didn't do your first WZ when you dinged lvl 50 coz you will suffer for a long time due to lack of proper gear

- if you didn't already, buy Recruit gear ASAP. You may loose some stats but you will gain 800 expertise which is far more impotant than 17k HP in PvP

- farm dailies, get comms and buy BM gear

- at some point you might want to get some augmented pieces, guns are priority (augmented) and if you are ready to loose BM set bonus also armor parts.

- as far as targeting goes customise your UI a bit. Enable target of target window and focus fire window. Really helps

- try to communicate with your group and pay attention what people are doing in WZ so you wont run alone to defended objective

- try to farm some PvE dailies (Belsavis, Ilum, Black Hole) for extra relic/gear/mods you might need + cash for augments and augmented gear