Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

If you're a PT and end a WZ with 0 Protection. You're a noob

It is astonishing how often I see DPS PT's NOT using their taunt. Seriously. You're doing you're team a great disservice not to mention mission out on 2-3 guaranteed medals per game for protection.

The taunt is off the global cooldown so it isn't like you're hurting your dps output. So please whenever you see an enemy player attacking a teammate just use your taunt. You'll help your team and pick up easy medals in the process and more likely to receive MVP votes too.

It is astonishing how often I see DPS PT's NOT using their taunt. Seriously. You're doing you're team a great disservice not to mention mission out on 2-3 guaranteed medals per game for protection.

The taunt is off the global cooldown so it isn't like you're hurting your dps output. So please whenever you see an enemy player attacking a teammate just use your taunt. You'll help your team and pick up easy medals in the process and more likely to receive MVP votes too.

Hypothetically, if I'm grouped with 3 tanks, one other dps, and 3 healers the team would benefit more from me focusing all of my efforts on outgoing damage distribution rather than incoming damage mitigation. Same goes for the scenario in which I solo capped and sat on "Left" for 14 minutes out of the 15 minute warzone. In all other circumstances I agree: "Pressing taunt is better than not pressing taunt." Though you certainly wouldn't want to press it just because it's off cooldown, some degree of timing is still recommended.

That being said, not pressing taunt at all does not make someone a "noob"; additionally, knowing about the PT's ability to press taunt does not grant you permission to come here prescribe to all PT everywhere how they should be playing their DPS speced PT.

Good Day.

Edited by Hethroin

Hypothetically, if I'm grouped with 3 tanks, one other dps, and 3 healers the team would benefit more from me focusing all of my efforts on outgoing damage distribution rather than incoming damage mitigation. Same goes for the scenario in which I solo capped and sat on "Left" for 14 minutes out of the 15 minute warzone. In all other circumstances I agree: "Pressing taunt is better than not pressing taunt." Though you certainly wouldn't want to press it just because it's off cooldown, some degree of timing is still recommended.

That being said, not pressing taunt at all does not make someone a "noob"; additionally, knowing about the PT's ability to press taunt does not grant you permission to come here prescribe to all PT everywhere how they should be playing their DPS speced PT.

Good Day.

As he said it's off GCD, so how does pressing taunt affect your damage output in your senario (and TBH that's a loosing team if against a well geared dps team even with 0 healers on it)?

Not pressing it, unless on a node solo or no one comes to that node or w/e, if your around enemies at all, not pressing it is noobish. Frankly it's dumb not to use it.

Good Day.

I disagree. In fact the ONLY time you shouldnt be pressing taunt is when you are 1v1 and no one else around for a mile. Even when you are fighting someone, you should switch target, taunt, then get back on yours. Taunt in no way decreases your dps output.

Appreciate the advise, I use Guard all the time as a tank. I dont taunt as much as I probably should but didnt really think about how well it could help healers out there in PVP warzones. Quick question if anyone knows... does sonic missle reduce damage of 30% to all targets in range?

IE, Description in game basically states:

Neural Dart makes enemy players damage 30% less unless they attack you for 6 sec.

Sonic Missle makes enemy players damage reduced unless they attack you for 6 sec..

Edited by Rahh

Not disagreeing with the points of the OP in terms of the benefits. But I wouldn't exactly call them noobs. It's more a matter of getting used to using them in the heat of the moment. There are plenty of videos from some of the best PTs who forget to keep taunts on cooldown.

If you use a macro mouse or keyboard you can tie them to the start of all your attacks, but this makes a red mess on your screen most of the time.

if theyre focus firing you first every time, you get 0 protection if theyre already targeting you.

I disagree. In fact the ONLY time you shouldnt be pressing taunt is when you are 1v1 and no one else around for a mile. Even when you are fighting someone, you should switch target, taunt, then get back on yours. Taunt in no way decreases your dps output.

When grouped with 3 other tank (from my scenario) using taunt "just because you can" will override the tanks' taunts, and can cause you unwanted attention. The taunting is handled in this situation so target-swapping and repositioning to taunt the target does cause a slight DPS drop, as well as a possible missed interrupt on a critical heal.

Though my response was part trollish you can't say that swapping targets does not affect your damage output. It takes time to swap. You don't want to use your AE taunt on a pack of healers, and you also do not want to overwrite the taunt placed on the target by one of your tanks. Taunt target selection and timing are something to be mindful of. Pressing the button randomly just because you can, may have a positive effect, or it may have no effect at all.

I wouldn't go so far as saying "Your a noob". But, I do see a lot of PT's ,especially Pyros, that do not use them. I use them whenever possible. They are a great service to your team. By some people's logic, I shouldn't grapple because it doesn't do dps? As PT's, we have a lot of utility. Not using it all is just waste, IMO. Am I saying you must use taunts all the time? No. Decide when it is best for you and your team. The protection medals don't hurt either.

When grouped with 3 other tank (from my scenario) using taunt "just because you can" will override the tanks' taunts, and can cause you unwanted attention. The taunting is handled in this situation so target-swapping and repositioning to taunt the target does cause a slight DPS drop, as well as a possible missed interrupt on a critical heal.

Though my response was part trollish you can't say that swapping targets does not affect your damage output. It takes time to swap. You don't want to use your AE taunt on a pack of healers, and you also do not want to overwrite the taunt placed on the target by one of your tanks. Taunt target selection and timing are something to be mindful of. Pressing the button randomly just because you can, may have a positive effect, or it may have no effect at all.

No taunt = no skill.

No taunt = no skill.

Very good. How does your statement invalidate or counter what I said?

Overwrote real tank's taunt = no skill.

AE taunted two healers and a tank = no skill.

Taunted healing OP = no skill.

See where I'm going?

My point is that timing and using your taunts correctly is better than just spamming them on cooldown just because they are free and make medals.

Due to the duration of these effects, I would find it highly unlikely there would be significant overwriting of other people's protections, especially based on the amount of protecting I am seeing in WZ, at least on my own server.

On the second hand, I don't think spamming taunts is always worth the value it gives either. Even though it's off GCD, it takes an action to move your hand/mouse and click it. That means your not clicking something else. You do need to assess if taunting is a better move than some other effect. If your team is ROFLstomping, taunting probably isn't necessary. If your losing bigtime, maybe that's a scenario where you're using guard at every cooldown.

Still, I think every tank-speced player should have some protection score at the end of the WZ.

On the second hand, I don't think spamming taunts is always worth the value it gives either. Even though it's off GCD, it takes an action to move your hand/mouse and click it. That means your not clicking something else. You do need to assess if taunting is a better move than some other effect. If your team is ROFLstomping, taunting probably isn't necessary. If your losing bigtime, maybe that's a scenario where you're using guard at every cooldown.

Still, I think every tank-speced player should have some protection score at the end of the WZ.

Um naga mouse or other macro mouse makes it very easy to use taunts without moving your finger/hand from your dps abilities.

Um naga mouse or other macro mouse makes it very easy to use taunts without moving your finger/hand from your dps abilities.

Which pretty much means you're spamming taunt at whatever you're hitting which is an ineffective, frivolous, and plain old wrong use of taunts. I'll repeat:

AE Taunting 2 healers and the tank = no skill.

That's true but not everyone has a macro mouse. I don't think it's reasonable to associate people's capability to protect with owning a specific piece of hardware. The point actually still stands ... if your using your thumb to press taunts on your mouse, then your not using it to press some other button on your mouse that does something else.

Edited by Obtena

I like T and Shift+T for my taunts. It's a play on the fact Taunts start with T. Clever I thought =/

PS: Taunts are great to keep off cool-down, but you should use them with some thought put in to what you are taunting.

Edited by exphryl

I taunt constantly. I used to end a warzone with tons of protection, but now only get about half of what I used to since the enemy started just focusing me right away. Area taunting a healer with two tanks near him is still better than not taunting. Tanks can still do damage. Even if you do "save" the taunt, it implies you will use it later, so you end up with some protection at the end of the warzone.

There is pretty much no reason to end a warzone with 0 protection, if you actually played the whole match. The only way you could end with 0 is if you never had anyone around to taunt for. Capping a turret and protecting it to the end of the match while solo the whole time is the only situation I can think of that you would end up with 0 and not be a bit of a noob. Missing a taunt opportunity is one thing, but going 15 minutes without taunting at all is noobish. I'm not insulting anybody, we all make mistakes. If you didn't taunt at all before, start taunting, it is a free off-GCD skill that increases the whole team's effectiveness.

The point actually still stands ... if your using your thumb to press taunts on your mouse, then your not using it to press some other button on your mouse that does something else.

That's not a point at all because it is patently untrue... there is a 1.5sec GCD and taunt is not on it, it is not hard to hit two buttons in a 1.5 sec window.

My single target taunt is shift+Incendiary Missle my aoe taunt is shift + Explosive Dart. Using shift to "combo" abilities the way I am is pretty normal, up your game.

I spam my taunt everytime its off CD. I don't think we get protection points for taunt. Im only level 28 and I get about 25-50k protection a WZ and its all from guard. Again I spam taunt every chance I get.

Overwrote real tank's taunt = no skill.

AE taunted two healers and a tank = no skill.

Taunted healing OP = no skill.

Overwrote real tank's taunt : "overwrite" matters... how? Situational, but first one... doesn't matter. In fact, overriding a tank's taunt can save the tank if the taunted target turns on them. (Example: Tank + Healer, tank taunts a Mara, Mara veers off the healer to finish off the tank, attacks tank, you taunt, suddenly the Mara doesn't find it as easy to get the killing blow. ETC) Overwrite doesn't matter, unless you're concerned about min/maxing taunt up-time to nerf target damage. I am not getting that impression from your posts.

AE taunting 2 healers and a tank: That tank is not standing around doing nothing, and some tanks can still hit for a significant amount when focusing on someone. Many healers these days have opted to have DPS capability (that I've seen) and can also deal significant damage, particularly if they're not busy healing each other. Again, situational, but "no skill" is silly and shows a lack of attentiveness.

Taunted Healing OP: what's the OP doing? See above.

Overwrote real tank's taunt : "overwrite" matters... how? Situational, but first one... doesn't matter. In fact, overriding a tank's taunt can save the tank if the taunted target turns on them. (Example: Tank + Healer, tank taunts a Mara, Mara veers off the healer to finish off the tank, attacks tank, you taunt, suddenly the Mara doesn't find it as easy to get the killing blow. ETC) Overwrite doesn't matter, unless you're concerned about min/maxing taunt up-time to nerf target damage. I am not getting that impression from your posts.

Overwriting tank taunts does matter, cause you may be targeted when you taunt, as your damage mitigation is not the same as the tank (well unless you too are a tank). My assumption was that OP was targeting DPS spec PTs with his post. Being DPS spec and having low mitigation could mean that you are targeted when you taunt, effectively nullifying the tank's defensive efforts. Don't get me wrong using AE taunt on a clump of DPS is great for your team, but some thought and timing should be applied rather than a "spam on cooldown" approach. That's all I'm trying to say here.

AE taunting 2 healers and a tank: That tank is not standing around doing nothing, and some tanks can still hit for a significant amount when focusing on someone. Many healers these days have opted to have DPS capability (that I've seen) and can also deal significant damage, particularly if they're not busy healing each other. Again, situational, but "no skill" is silly and shows a lack of attentiveness.

If you are using your AE taunt on 2 healers and a tank that's guarding them, then you are not using that AE taunt on the 3 marauders and conceal OP beating on your healer. Taunt target selection is important. If your current DPS target is one of those healers swapping to a DPS 40m away, to taunt them, to later come back to the healer may cause you to fail at killing the healer... All hypothetical situations aside, in most cases you should hold your AE taunt for clumps of enemy DPS, and not the guys way in the back casting heals.

Taunted Healing OP: what's the OP doing? See above.

How can you tell that an OP is a healing OP? He is casting heals. Taunting a target that's casting heals does nothing. Though taunting that same OP right after he drops OS will probably save your group some damage.

My overall point was that you should not be spamming taunts without thought on cooldown. A little bit of timing and strategy should be applied.

That's not a point at all because it is patently untrue... there is a 1.5sec GCD and taunt is not on it, it is not hard to hit two buttons in a 1.5 sec window.

My single target taunt is shift+Incendiary Missle my aoe taunt is shift + Explosive Dart. Using shift to "combo" abilities the way I am is pretty normal, up your game.

I'm not debating if it can't be done because yeah, it's possible to hit two buttons in a 1.5 second window. It's not a forgone conclusion that everyone CAN do this, for whatever reason. Maybe I'm oldschool but not everyone uses keybinds, though it's highly effective. If you don't, you have to substitute with muscle memory and fast mousework. We aren't all breed on twitch FPS games.

Edited by Obtena

I'm not debating if it can't be done because yeah, it's possible to hit two buttons in a 1.5 second window. It's not a forgone conclusion that everyone CAN do this, for whatever reason. Maybe I'm oldschool but not everyone uses keybinds, though it's highly effective. If you don't, you have to substitute with muscle memory and fast mousework. We aren't all breed on twitch FPS games.

No offense but if your not keybinding your gimping yourself esp in PvP. Should relearn to keybind if your not.

None taken. I believe that's assuming non-keybinders would perform better memorizing their keybind positions instead of making visual links on the screen. I'm willing to bet that if someone is experienced with doing the mouse thing in MMO's over the key thing, they perform just as well as anyone else.

Anyways, it's a bit off track. I'm still sticking by the fact that if you are hitting taunts at the wrong time or using them when they aren't needed, it's hurting your performance. There's only so much a specific player can do in a given time. Conclusions about how easy it is to hit two buttons in 1.5 seconds or similar things aren't the whole picture.

Edited by Obtena

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.