Huttball passing mechanic?

je-s-ter

Gabe Amatangelo (PvP & Endgame Designer): The player closest to the center of the landing spot circle who is not stunned or mezzed will receive the ball, regardless of what team they are on.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-20th-2012

This is the explenation given of how huttbal passing works. I can safely say that it is not true. Just today, an enemy was on our goal line without a ball waiting for a pass. I leaped at him, force stasis'ed him as soon as the cirlce on the ground appeared. Pass came, he got the ball while still being in force stasis. Noone else except the two of us were in the circle.

Did I miss something? Is there somewhere, anywhere, provided a better and more importantly correct explenation of the mechanic behind passing?

I would like to rule out lag as I'm constantly sitting at 50ms, but the servers seems a bit wonky at times. The fact that stunned/mezzed people recieve the pass however, is quite consistent and I can reproduce it pretty much every huttbal match.

I can confirm having a similar experience to yours. Stunned and mezzed targets definitely receive passes. I hope it gets fixed, because I'd prefer that stunned and mezzed targets could not receive passes.

It's funny, I just posted this in another thread in this forum about targeting in general:

By ironic contrast though, as an example, the "targeting area circle" in say HB when one goes to pass is an absolute mess. Could be 4 allies and one opponent in the circle, despite even pinpoint accuracy of lining the center point of that circle on a friendly there's still a fair chance the opponent could end up with it for God know's what reason. I've heard all manner of theories on how to make that target circle more reliably ensure a pass to the ally, none of which are intuitive and I still find their reliability just as questionable personally.

And yes, not only have I seen this happen to other players, I myself have been the statue in a gang of the opposing team. I somehow recieve the ball and continue to stand stark still as they commence the tidal wave of more CC and DPS.

Edited by Mayams

I didnt know it wasnt meant to allow stunned players to receive the ball!

I got unhappy not long back for a player passing it to me when I was stunned ... was cursing under my breath at my team mate since I got dropped within a few seconds after.

Could it be that they selected the target to pass before I was stunned though .. so the pass was in progress as such and got around the passing rule?

Edited by Aussiedroid
Question..

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-20th-2012

This is the explenation given of how huttbal passing works. I can safely say that it is not true. Just today, an enemy was on our goal line without a ball waiting for a pass. I leaped at him, force stasis'ed him as soon as the cirlce on the ground appeared. Pass came, he got the ball while still being in force stasis. Noone else except the two of us were in the circle.

Did I miss something? Is there somewhere, anywhere, provided a better and more importantly correct explenation of the mechanic behind passing?

I would like to rule out lag as I'm constantly sitting at 50ms, but the servers seems a bit wonky at times. The fact that stunned/mezzed people recieve the pass however, is quite consistent and I can reproduce it pretty much every huttbal match.

My thoughts are that the catch determination for CC/Mez/etc is being taken at the wrong time, when the initial pass is made. I have the same experience with stuns, and have made this assumption.

My thoughts are that the catch determination for CC/Mez/etc is being taken at the wrong time, when the initial pass is made. I have the same experience with stuns, and have made this assumption.

Right, so thats the primary question mark. Is the mechanics of the catch calculated right when the ball is passed, or when it lands? Eg is the player closest to center when the ball is passed going to win the ball, or is the player closest to the center when it lands going to win?

Anecdotally, it seems to me that the center calculation is when the ball *lands* (as I feel like I have definitely moved into position to catch the ball before). However, it seems to me the determination of whether I am stunned or not, is made when the ball is PASSED, as I have definitely received the ball having been stunned for at least a second before the ball landed.

Yeah I was thinking the same (but havent really tested it). I've CCed people after the circle was on the ground. They can definitely catch. On the other hand I've seen cases where juggs/marauder/powertechs jump to a target and catch the ball after the circle was shown. So it's not necessarily "when the pass is made".

Maybe it checks for eligibility at the start of the pass and actual position at the end. But that's pure speculation from my end ;)

About center of circle: Keep in mind that player position updates are terrible in this game (cc someone over the fire and often he doesnt get damage since he's actually beside the fire - except for your client). So it may be the case that the other guy - who catches - is actually nearer to the center.