... Stopping LIGHTSABER with BARE hands ..

dprijadi

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly, but I'll admit I was being more facetitious than anything else. I honestly don't remember the trailer well enough to say if she did or didn't stop the saber with her hands :)

She did. You see some sort of "force shield" absorbing the saber blade.....

/thread !!!!!

Par for the course in this thread. People take this stuff way too seriously.

Any other ideas as to why Lukes saber merely bounces off Vader's shoulder pad? Hmm time to start a new thread?

Probably the same reason Dooku's lightsaber didn't cut through Obi-Wan's shoulder. It was a glancing blow meant to cause pain, not sever a limb.

Probably the same reason Dooku's lightsaber didn't cut through Obi-Wan's shoulder. It was a glancing blow meant to cause pain, not sever a limb.

Apparently Darth Vaders armor is actually armor. So glancing blows will not go through it, you would need direct hits to go through the thick parts of vaders suit.

Catching a saber with your hand? I have been of the opinion that this is something that could be done easily if the force user is strong enough, and believs it is something they could do. Mind over matter. There is records of a jedi who used a stick instead of a light saber. I supposed that he would extend the force onto or over the stick. not impossible to do. Heck, Obi Wan broke that androids robotic, super strong metal arm, with his own flesh and blood arm.

There are jedi who can walk through walls and do all sorts of stuff. The force may only be limited by the individuals own limits. (think - "there is no spoon")

Apparently The force may only be limited by the individuals own limits. (think - "there is no spoon")

Not entirely, the user's limits is pretty much of their own design. Which could be contributed to a number of things, such as not bothering to train hard enough and just settle for what they already have. Or doubting yourself, because of an injury or what have you(what happened to Vader, the suit limited him in a more physiological sense then a physical one.) That being said, there has yet to be anything that the force cannot do power wise...its infinite.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

correct me if im wrong, but at that time satele still a padawan right ? she just lost her husband or her master (the zabrak jedi that got killed by 2 sith) ..

the power is not just impressive, but its hard to accept.. Youda blocking lightning from Dooku or lightning from Emperor, that makes sense , Obiwan blocking Anakin's force push with another force push , that also make sense.. but blocking a flaming hot lightsaber that can melt a spaceship bulkhead ?? definitely a rare skill and not a padawan's bag of tricks..

Correcting you here.

The events of The Battle For Alderan happen approximately 10-15 years after the death of her master & she is a Jedi Master at this time. The timeline of all trailers spans roughly 28 years.

As I read it, she didn't block or deflect the saber strike. She attempted to absorb it & suceeded for a short time, but was being overwhelmed by the energy very fast.

Catching a saber with your hand? I have been of the opinion that this is something that could be done easily if the force user is strong enough, and believs it is something they could do. Mind over matter. There is records of a jedi who used a stick instead of a light saber.

I read this one recently. It was some random blind Jedi that Maul had to kill as a part of his training. My personal favourite is the Sith Lord that was being pursued by an enemy fleet (Can't remember his name, some ancient Sith) that decided ripping out the core of a sun & throwing it at the fleet was a great idea. It worked for him too, until the remaining matter caused a supernova & killed him.

geez i kept my mouth shut about all those "this is impossible"

kind of threads but hell no....

did you guys start arguing back in the day when yoda lifted lukes

x-wing out of the swamp that its an impossible thing to do?

if something of the EU is too much for you just ignore it and enjoy

the rest instead of starting discussions which are meaningless

at the end of the day.

if it makes you feel any better about this particular issue

you could even say since this trailer is part of a game that its a

gameplay feat. and those are considered non-canon unlike the

games stories.

OP, i will put it this way, Lightsabers cant break throught forcefields, Satele Made a Forcefield on her palm using the force... Therefore, the Lightsaber thrust from malgus didnt break throught, get it ?

OP, i will put it this way, Lightsabers cant break throught forcefields, Satele Made a Forcefield on her palm using the force... Therefore, the Lightsaber thrust from malgus didnt break throught, get it ?

I don't think the Force can be used to make a force field. Not in the manner of a shield generator, anyway. If it could, Shadows and Guardians wouldn't need shield generators to produce one.

She absorbed the energy. She shortened the arc of the saber in doing so. Occam's Razor.

I don't think the Force can be used to make a force field. Not in the manner of a shield generator, anyway. If it could, Shadows and Guardians wouldn't need shield generators to produce one.

She absorbed the energy. She shortened the arc of the saber in doing so. Occam's Razor.

Then what is the Static Barrier for Sorcerers and Force Armor for Sages? All Jedi/Sith erect a shield out of the Force to defelct, block, mitigate the effects of Force Abilities being used against them. It is one of the first defenses taught. It's why Force Users don't just go all out with the Force Powers when fighting one another. You wait for an opening and then strike.

Then what is the Static Barrier for Sorcerers and Force Armor for Sages? All Jedi/Sith erect a shield out of the Force to defelct, block, mitigate the effects of Force Abilities being used against them. It is one of the first defenses taught. It's why Force Users don't just go all out with the Force Powers when fighting one another. You wait for an opening and then strike.

To be fair Star Wars games very often bullcrap new powers and effects for gameplay reasons. SWTOR is not immune to this.

I mean, just one example is how you never see the force manifest itself in a visible way besides force lightning (in canon) yet in like every game you can SEE force pushes and everything freakin' lights up for some reason.

Games take it farther than just visuals though and give powers that are wildly exaggerated in use too.

You simply cannot use the powers in a game as an example for anything outside of that game.

To be fair Star Wars games very often bullcrap new powers and effects for gameplay reasons. SWTOR is not immune to this.

I mean, just one example is how you never see the force manifest itself in a visible way besides force lightning (in canon) yet in like every game you can SEE force pushes and everything freakin' lights up for some reason.

Games take it farther than just visuals though and give powers that are wildly exaggerated in use too.

You simply cannot use the powers in a game as an example for anything outside of that game.

The "Visible" aspect to these powers is just so you can tell there is something there. Static Barrier seems like it would have a visible effect if it were something from the movies though due to the fact it is based on Force Lightning.

Ok

This is from the opening movie SWTOR when Satele Shan stopped Darth Malgus lightsaber thrust and block his advances by using her hand (or hands) without getting burned or amputated.. I never see jedi or sith stopping or blocking lightsaber with their BARE hands (like kungfu movies where the protagonist stopped enemy blade by clapping the blade with both hands, wont work in a lightsaber combat imho)..

The only other incident i remember is from Darkhorse SW Comics where a Jedi Student fight a mock combat with his master and his master only use a flimsy walking stick to block the saber attacks (ultimately the stick broke when the student uses 2 lightsaber to attack his master).

Are there any reference on other SW materials / stories about this ? i dont mean blocking lightsaber with Electrostaff like General Grievous's Guards, but blocking lightsabers with bare hands and other weak materials like sticks..

It's called the force.

Satelle used the force to stop the lightsaber from moving forward of course if the Trooper didn't charge Malgus she would've been overpowered and defeated.

It's called the force.

Satelle used the force to stop the lightsaber from moving forward of course if the Trooper didn't charge Malgus she would've been overpowered and defeated.

Yes, it is the Force. However, the method which was used was not just stopping the blade from advancing, if you actually watch closely, you can see the blade sink into her grasp without it penetrating her hand. The blade is being absorbed and is later used as the kinetic energy in the Force Push she used on Malgus to send him into the side of a mountain and then further drive him in when he started resisting.

i still think satele shan's ability to stop lightsaber with bare hands a bit too unbelieable, considering she just graduated from padawan to knight and she lost her master (eg not completing her education). If she gain this powers she must attain it from the dark side, maybe from the pain of abandoning her baby (from her affair with harron tavus). As we know, a hidden pain bring powerful force in jedis

i still think satele shan's ability to stop lightsaber with bare hands a bit too unbelieable, considering she just graduated from padawan to knight and she lost her master (eg not completing her education). If she gain this powers she must attain it from the dark side, maybe from the pain of abandoning her baby (from her affair with harron tavus). As we know, a hidden pain bring powerful force in jedis

She didn't just graduate though. As someone said, there are several years between Return, where she senses her Master dying, and Hope, where she stops the saber with her hands. Plenty of time to be promoted a few times and to learn a few new tricks.

Hmm I kind of just assumed that she was using Force push to stop the blade from actually touching her in this scene some what like the Anakin/Obi moment where they both attempted to push one another whilst duelling on Mustufar rather than using Tutaminis. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.