About the game.

Briliton

I would like to start off with "THIS IS NOT A FLAME THREAD"

As an MMO veteran i have a valid opinion on this game.

Yes there are flaws that need to be fixed.

Yes there are bugs that need to be sorted and swatted.

Yes classes need some balancing.

Yes we need a LFG system.

Yes we need faster travel.

Yes there is a ton of things the game needs.

But i sense that people are starting to get impatient after a very short duration of time.

The game is not even SIX months old!

Give Bioware some credit, Coming from personal experience, Finding and tracing bug issues is a lengthy process, and balancing classes takes a very long time if not borderline impossible

(Hell! WoW is still not balanced on classes and its been 6 years)

They have done a fantastic job with the game, give it some time to balance itself out.

You'rs Truley, Briliton.

But i sense that people are starting to get impatient after a very short duration of time.

Give Bioware some credit, Coming from personal experience, Finding and tracing bug issues is a lengthy process, and balancing classes takes a very long time if not borderline impossible

They have done a fantastic job with the game, give it some time to balance itself out.

You'rs Truley, Briliton.

Funny, After I left Swtor weeks ago I just found a game that launched today(i played the beta and prerelease). No bugs yet, a LFG that works quite well, free server xfers and the classes are fairly balanced. Travel is extreamly fast. The Combat system is fast, fluid and amazing. There are actual time sinks and the dungeons and graphics are amazing. Crafting is extensive and fun. The game actually tells you "poorly geared players will hinder a party" so not so casual friendly but there is a thriving community and general chat is actually alive and well. Sadly..it's not fully voiced. I can cope with that. The game is Tera. I highly recommend it.

just an opinion from an MMO vet (10 years) and an ex Swtor player.

PS if you have an issue, the call center is 24/7 and directs you to a live person without pushing any buttons and they update their twitter feed constantly....who'd have thunk.

Edited by DarthDetonate

have to agree with darthdetonate. I'm out of swtor till I see what happens with the expansion. I'm not blaming the developers or anyone in bioware, they made a choice. But the way I see it, it was the wrong one. In my opinion mmo's live and die by their end game content, and end game content is poor, to say the least. It's not only balancing. It's also crafting that's mostly worthless all through the game, bad servers, limited faction choices (no imperial troopers? Please), limited weapon choices and overall character customization. No iconic battlefields for raids (who wouldn't want to raid the Jedi council in coruscant? Facing pve guards and other players rushing to defend). Star wars is iconic, but it's simply not used!

These are things the development team can't just sit on. They don't publish the game in a pre WoW environment. There is an abundance of amazing innovative games out there, and all have multiplayer built into them. All have large coomunities. To beat that you have to give something no one else can, the star wars universe can give that if used correctly.

Again, bad choices. We'll see how they're fixed. Till then....

Edited by TomerRosenthal

I agree with a lot of stuff being said. I think there's a lot of little QoL (quality of life) type of bugs that though minor, are frustrating and such bugs project a bad image for the company, such as tabbed targeting, and then there are more serious bugs like bugs in operations. I don't know if these bugs are important, such as a time table to fix these, or what.

Outside the bugs in the implementation, the implementation of what the current design is problematic, such as utility of some trees in practice. There's a lot of work needed to smooth out these issues. The design of classes and abilities seem explicitly diametric, side A's warrior vs. side B's warrior, rather than something more strategic, e.g. rock vs. paper vs. scissors.

The concept of the game itself is limited. I do wholly enjoy the most stories, which makes the game unique in this sense. I wish though that there were worlds w/ continents divided into explorable regions, even if those regions were locked out and not yet developed. We could have actual 3D mounts and vehicles, maybe 3D war-zones. For a science-fiction game, one expects to be able to naturally fly, not only on a world, but in space, but the way the game is designed, i.e. 3D regions in a box with obstacles, there doesn't seem to be a way for it to evolve to a game that supports aerial mounts and other mechanics that allow your characters to interact in true 3D environment. The races themselves are limited to bipedal humanoid species of similar height (exception of some companions), which for a space opera genre with many types of species, this is a little bit of disappointment.

And lastly, about end-game content: this is extremely important. I am just a casual player, so I will never get involved with a grind fest (and grind fest seems to be yesterday's MMO style anyhow). I do hope though with intelligent ingenuity, skill, and sharing of knowledge with other top players (like in a guild), I can get an edge that separates me from average player. This could be a multistage quest for an epic item, or some access to something not commonly acquired in the game.

The crafts really need to be the best material in the game; the barrier for such patterns could be set high. It's nice to have guild-mates running around with items that say "Made by <insert your toon name's here>" and also have something to market. As a casual yet advanced player, crafting is something I really enjoy.

Funny, After I left Swtor weeks ago I just found a game that launched today(i played the beta and prerelease). No bugs yet, a LFG that works quite well, free server xfers and the classes are fairly balanced. Travel is extreamly fast. The Combat system is fast, fluid and amazing. There are actual time sinks and the dungeons and graphics are amazing. Crafting is extensive and fun. The game actually tells you "poorly geared players will hinder a party" so not so casual friendly but there is a thriving community and general chat is actually alive and well. Sadly..it's not fully voiced. I can cope with that. The game is Tera. I highly recommend it.

PS if you have an issue, the call center is 24/7 and directs you to a live person without pushing any buttons and they update their twitter feed constantly....who'd have thunk.

I dont have an issue, the other thread got shut down because it was "flaming the community" basically in hindsight im sick of the posts people put up and whining about every little thing about the game (yes that makes me sound like a hypocrit whining about the whiners)

I dont have an issue, the other thread got shut down because it was "flaming the community" basically in hindsight im sick of the posts people put up and whining about every little thing about the game (yes that makes me sound like a hypocrit whining about the whiners)

Look, there are, (and are in planning) so many new-generation MMO's out there in cyber-space that I am really, really tempted to jump the SWTOR ship and try the other games.

SWTOR MUST be amongst the best that are, and are to come, in order to keep the present player base (not even speaking of gaining more players).

Players that in the forums express their dissatisfaction about things, and make suggestions what can, or could be improved, are vital to SWTOR's success.

NO! It is not Whining.. when someone expresses dis-satisfaction about Bugs and short-comings of the Game. It is however an attempt to get the Dev's to keep up the pace of sorting things out. It also might give them a few new ideas. And lastly..it lets the Dev's judge the mood of the Community. After all, a lot of dissatisfied postings would point to people being tempted away by other games.

You'rs Truley, Briliton.

/agreed

Glad to see there are still people like this in SWTOR.

A lot of you forum posters are just depressing with all that doom talk and put focus on the negative things in the game.

If you have problems getting a group because your server pop is low and cba to reroll on a high pop server (for whatever reason)....free transfers are coming.

Try to turn it around and look at the positive things for a change! The game is just 6 months old!

I see BW working hard to implement the wishes from us the community and address the issues we report.

Players that in the forums express their dissatisfaction about things, and make suggestions what can, or could be improved, are vital to SWTOR's success.

NO! It is not Whining.. when someone expresses dis-satisfaction about Bugs and short-comings of the Game. It is however an attempt to get the Dev's to keep up the pace of sorting things out. It also might give them a few new ideas. And lastly..it lets the Dev's judge the mood of the Community. After all, a lot of dissatisfied postings would point to people being tempted away by other games.

I agree with you for the most part.

If there are issues the forums are the way to let the devs know.

If we the community have certain wishes...the forums are the way to let the devs know.

But that can/should be brought in a constructive manner.

The most posts here DO come across as whining from a bunch of impatient little kids.

Threads like "Is the game dying" after just 1 month of release...posts with sentences like " OMG BW nice job in ruining this game GIEF LFG TOOL NOW!!"

It just feels like there is just too much of those and (almost)nothing constructive.

And the general idea seems it's cool to rush and complain on the forums (without using the search tool) about stuff that has been asked for/addressed allready in so many other threads...or even have been replied to by the devs that a certain issue will be fixed asap (read low pop servers and char transfers).

I really hope this will change.

Or maybe I'm getting the wrong idea because I just keep coming here on the wrong days....also possible ofc :D

You are a Tera employee or what?

Tera is yet another boring Manga comic style game. There is nor eason whatsoever for -say- WOW, FF and Rift players to switch to that game, expect that they may gotten bored and want to see new (Manga) graphics. If you like that stuff just go there and stay there and -in the name of the Force- stop posting here.

You are a Tera employee or what?

Tera is yet another boring Manga comic style game. There is nor eason whatsoever for -say- WOW, FF and Rift players to switch to that game, expect that they may gotten bored and want to see new (Manga) graphics. If you like that stuff just go there and stay there and -in the name of the Force- stop posting here.

No, if you read my post, you'd actually see who i am and what I was representing. Basically what the OP was complaining about is absent in Tera and I was sharing an alternative. What are you... a Bioware employee?

Also, you obviously havent played the game though Im sure you'll claim that you have. Other than a Unique combat system, and total overhauls to many foundations of triple A MMOs, yeah, its exactly like rift and wow.... lols w/e

Edited by DarthDetonate

This is exactly why I made my Game Guide thread linked in my siggy.

Too many people expect perfection when it is unreasonable.

As for TERA being a Godsend... I'm skeptical. Anything that promotes "skill" in a game makes me shake my head because I know the game won't do too well as a money maker, which ultimately affects the game's growth.

No, if you read my post, you'd actually see who i am and what I was representing. Basically what the OP was complaining about is absent in Tera and I was sharing an alternative. What are you... a Bioware employee?

Also, you obviously havent played the game though Im sure you'll claim that you have. Other than a Unique combat system, and total overhauls to many foundations of triple A MMOs, yeah, its exactly like rift and wow.... lols w/e

If you're referring to skill shots as what is unique about combat, I'm gonna tell you right now, skill shots are not unique lol.

This is exactly why I made my Game Guide thread linked in my siggy.

Too many people expect perfection when it is unreasonable.

As for TERA being a Godsend... I'm skeptical. Anything that promotes "skill" in a game makes me shake my head because I know the game won't do too well as a money maker, which ultimately affects the game's growth.

It's an MMO that will have it's niche reguardless. Swtor needs 500k to stay profitable, Im sure Tera already has it's and will maintain what it needs. I applaud the no hand holding personally. MMO's should take longer than 4 days to be at max level and gear.

Your last sentence there is fairly prolific however and a state of MMOs today sadly.

If you're referring to skill shots as what is unique about combat, I'm gonna tell you right now, skill shots are not unique lol.

skill shots. Please define this as I've been playing the game non stop and have yet to hear those words coupled in the game by anyone. Obviously you know something that Tera's player base does not.

It's an MMO that will have it's niche reguardless. Swtor needs 500k to stay profitable, Im sure Tera already has it's and will maintain what it needs. I applaud the no hand holding personally. MMO's should take longer than 4 days to be at max level and gear.

Your last sentence there is fairly prolific however and a state of MMOs today sadly.

Honestly, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have a game that wants some level of skill that's higher than the majority of players. A lot of gamers are into that kind of thing. But not the majority. For a game to be a success, it needs to appeal to the masses and in this case, casual gamers outnumber hardcore gamers. You make a game that a casual gamer can play without getting frustrated all the time and you've got a great game that will probably go very very far. You make a game that's actually difficult and requires some knowledge of games and probably some experience in games in the past, you'll have a small niche for the hardcore gaming community that will pump its money into the game, but that won't be enough to really carry the game to stardom.

Now tell me which one companies are going to want to make and continuously support.

As for the max level thing... I've been playing since January and I've completed act one on one character, have since changed servers, and am now playing my highest level main at level 32. Why is this? Because I take the time to enjoy everything the game has to offer. I don't grind. If you can take the grind out of your playstyle, I guarantee you won't hit max level in 4 days.

Edited by Brosephiine

Honestly, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have a game that wants some level of skill that's higher than the majority of players. A lot of gamers are into that kind of thing. But not the majority. For a game to be a success, it needs to appeal to the masses and in this case, casual gamers outnumber hardcore gamers. You make a game that a casual gamer can play without getting frustrated all the time and you've got a great game that will probably go very very far. You make a game that's actually difficult and requires some knowledge of games and probably some experience in games in the past, you'll have a small niche for the hardcore gaming community that will pump its money into the game, but that won't be enough to really carry the game to stardom.

Now tell me which one companies are going to want to make and continuously support.

As for the max level thing... I've been playing since January and I've completed act one on one character, have since changed servers, and am now playing my highest level main at level 32. Why is this? Because I take the time to enjoy everything the game has to offer. I don't grind. If you can take the grind out of your playstyle, I guarantee you won't hit max level in 4 days.

In swtor I played without spacebaring through my first 50...and my second. My third, yes i did spacebar through. Also achieved full rakatta when it meant something and War Hero, also when it meant something.

as far as which company id rather be? I rather be the one that didnt have to have its audience be dictated by the 200-300 million I spent to make it.(as stated by swtor Devs at the PAX panel)

Edited by DarthDetonate

In swtor I played without spacebaring through my first 50...and my second. My third, yes i did spacebar through. Also achieved full rakatta when it meant something and War Hero, also when it meant something.

as far as which company id rather be? I rather be the one that didnt have to have its audience be dictated by the 200-300 million I spent to make it.

I never spacebar. :| Except lately, because I've done all the beginner planets about five times over. >_> Also, "when it meant something"? You're talking like this game has been around for years and everyone has these things when it hasn't been long at all and lots of people are just starting out.

And... I'm not sure what you mean by that last bit.

I never spacebar. :| Except lately, because I've done all the beginner planets about five times over. >_> Also, "when it meant something"? You're talking like this game has been around for years and everyone has these things when it hasn't been long at all and lots of people are just starting out.

Actually im talking about Swtor launching as a Polished Beta which has yet to reach the functionality of every other Triple a MMO at Launch nearly 5 months in AND they continue to dumb it down so that people who cant spell MMO can be an effective player in Swtor.

As far as the last bit, I would rather be the company that could make the game, that I wanted to play and could afford to lose casual players. (Insert "But casuals make up the bulk of a community!") Casual is a loose term, casual doesnt mean bad, though it can, casual also can mean limited time, skilled players. Those players tend to stick with challenging games.

Edited by DarthDetonate

@DartDetonate:

I very much doubt that Tera is completely bug free. Maybe you mean it has no game breaking bugs, but on the other hand I never encountered those in SWTOR either. And what you said about being "max level and have the best gear in 4 days" is also something I very much doubt.

@DartDetonate:

I very much doubt that Tera is completely bug free. Maybe you mean it has no game breaking bugs, but on the other hand I never encountered those in SWTOR either. And what you said about being "max level and have the best gear in 4 days" is also something I very much doubt.

Yeah, Im generalizing there a bit about the 4 days. I believe it was a few weeks on the gear grind and as far as the No bugs in Tera, Just none that I've experienced yet which is fairly amazing considering how big the game is.

As far as Game breaking bugs in Swtor..there have been many... SOA anyone? There was a month in which he couldnt be tanked in third phase making it nearly impossible to beat him. Also, id have to say that there being no actual "threat" in the game is fairly game breaking. If you're a PVP player, the Death of Ilum was game breaking when you had to farm rewards there. Not having Ranked Pvp yet having Ranked PVP gear is fairly game breaking. I could go on but you get the picture.

Edited by DarthDetonate

I'm the same way. I also have three 50s now with not a single piece of Rakata.

One of the main reasons Tera has fewer bugs is because it launched in Korea in late January of 2011

Actually im talking about Swtor launching as a Polished Beta which has yet to reach the functionality of every other Triple a MMO at Launch nearly 5 months in AND they continue to dumb it down so that people who cant spell MMO cant be an effective player in Swtor.

As far as the last bit, I would rather be the company that could make the game, that I wanted to play and could afford to lose casual players. (Insert "But casuals make up the bulk of a community!") Casual is a loose term, casual doesnt mean bad, though it can, casual also can mean limited time, skilled players. Those players tend to stick with challenging games.

I can understand that, and I honestly think it boils down to EA pushing the release when SWTOR wasn't ready yet. It's frustrating, but the developers seem to be doing everything they can to fix the problems this has caused. I haven't seen them dumb anything down though, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there.

I never said casuals are bad, I myself am a mix between casual/hardcore. I used to play constantly and was ranked in the top five Alliance side for holy paladins on my server before I quit WoW. That would mean more if the populations were balanced out and there weren't so many just as good players Horde side (almost 4:1). But I was damn proud of myself for hitting #3 on Alliance for holy paladins for a number of reasons. Now I'm content to level with a friend when I have some free time. This also means, though, that I enjoy a game that is FUN. A challenge is awesome, but if I continuously cannot beat this challenge, the game is not fun. And for game developers, it's hard to deliver something that challenges all the different types of gamers in the right way. For SWTOR... It's too early to say, "This game is too easy, there's not enough content, there's not enough challenge." Given the circumstances of the release and all the issues it's posed and the fact that they STILL get content out on a fairly steady basis, I think SWTOR is going to be amazing. But they need to fix their issues (which they seem to be doing as quickly as possible) and continue with this steady stream of new shiny things for us to play with.

SWTOR encourages you to level multiple characters and enjoy ALL the aspects of the game. THAT is what I like about this game and I think that in the long run is what's going to keep it going. I honestly think the people that sit here on the forums and complain about not having anything to do are stuck in tunnel vision. There's plenty to do and there's no rush to do it.

Honestly, a game like WoW has two to three communities: Those that raid, those that PvP, and those that putz around and dabble in everything, but may not excel at any one thing. Most people in the first two categories will grind to max level and gear out their toon and then be ready to take on end game content in record time. SWTOR I think challenges that mindset and encourages people to branch out and try more things in the game. They don't want to pigeon-hole you into one aspect of the game. It's a massive undertaking for them to attempt, but I applaud them for it.

Actually im talking about Swtor launching as a Polished Beta which has yet to reach the functionality of every other Triple a MMO at Launch nearly 5 months in AND they continue to dumb it down so that people who cant spell MMO can be an effective player in Swtor.

Casuals make up the bulk of the incoming profit. If you want players who stick with a challenging game, go play EVE. Internet ships is serious business. That, and the upcoming World of Darkness MMO (there are talks of permadeath; can't get more hardcore then that).

As for challenges and the need to fulfill them, I'd rather use that productive time for a more useful and long term feat instead of claiming I was part of some top 100 world raiding guild on my resume. Seriously, I bet someone has done it.

Edited by Bryyn